7 Side effects of Sodas

Options

Replies

• ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Heroin has only one use that I know of...so I guess my smack addiction is fine!

Edit: because I can spell gooder...I mean it!
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I've seriously cut my pop consumption down to maybe once a week, and if possible I choose a sugar-sweetened over a corn syrup sweetened. I've always gone with coke over pepsi, but after reading some of the unusual uses for coca cola, I've really thought twice before drinking that cola. Just some Ive read are: killing bugs, cleaning grease stains from clothing, removing black film from pots & pans, removing skunk odor, cleaning windows, and de-rusting metal

Removing blood from asphalt...

So will water...

Your stomach acid is more acidic than pop.
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    But do you realize how hard it is to burp the alphabet if you DON'T drink coke?
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    We should never consume
    baking soda or vinegar - these make a powerful drain cleaner
    vinegar, corn starch, corn syrup - diy homemade elmer's glue
    peanut butter - cleans leather, fixes scratched dvd and cd, removes gum and glue from many things, including carpet
    banana peels polish silver
    cinnamon repels ants (really must be bad, those suckers eat anything!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I've seriously cut my pop consumption down to maybe once a week, and if possible I choose a sugar-sweetened over a corn syrup sweetened. I've always gone with coke over pepsi, but after reading some of the unusual uses for coca cola, I've really thought twice before drinking that cola. Just some Ive read are: killing bugs, cleaning grease stains from clothing, removing black film from pots & pans, removing skunk odor, cleaning windows, and de-rusting metal

Removing blood from asphalt...

So will water...

Your stomach acid is more acidic than pop.
    vinegar will work very well too. Is that a dangerous food item?
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Whenever I read these debates I always end up thinking that the anti-soda/diet soda people think that those of us who have no problem drinking soda/diet soda do so under the misconception that they are good for us.

I've yet to find a soda/diet soda drinker who says 'soda is healthy and good for you' and believes it. We just don't happen to believe the alarmist, anecdotal, or limited studies that say soda/diet soda is going to kill you in some way if you drink it.

I also find the 'it's made up of chemicals which makes it bad/dangerous/toxic/whatever' line of thought moot.

You can't live in this world and not ingest chemicals/toxins. And, yes, this includes the clean eaters. You can limit what you ingest by your choices but you can't completely cut chemicals/toxins out of your life, and you don't even know all the man made chemicals/toxins that you ingest on a daily basis.

We are an industrial world, there are machines of every sort out there and have been for years, people smoke and burn things. All this puts chemicals into our atmosphere which means into our rain, which means into our soil, worldwide. If you don't believe this take a look at where volcanic ash manages to reach after an eruption.

Now, onto the deliberate ingestion of man-made chemicals/toxins and how they'll kill you. I'm not going to debate this because it's fact, in the right context. It's the dose you ingest of these chemicals/toxins that decides whether it's going to kill you.

A long time ago a combination of natural (prolonged CPR) and chemical/toxins (medical drugs) pulled me back from the brink of death. Following that I had to take a regimen of rat poison (Warfarin) for a year to stop the condition from recurring.

I have a mental illness, I take two, sometimes three, different chemical combinations/toxins on a daily basis to make it possible for me to live a normal life, and yes, to help me have the ability to eat a healthier diet.

My husband has leukemia, he takes chemicals/toxins daily to keep him alive. He stops and he'll likely be dead in a matter of months. He also has diabetes which he also treats with chemicals/toxins daily.

Do these chemicals/toxins we choose to ingest have side effects? Of course they do. As intelligent, educated adults, we weigh the side effects against the benefits and make a conscious choice what to live with.

As intelligent, educated adults, we also weight the pros and cons of every food we choose to eat, and make a conscious choice of what to live with.

I've been drinking Diet Coke since it came on the market god knows how many years ago. I've drunk it in rather large quantities at times. Now I drink 12 oz daily, give or take. My personal experience and research suggests that other things are likely to kill me way faster than anything in soda/diet soda.

Drink soda/diet soda, or don't drink soda/diet soda. But if you're going to make alarmist seeming posts, be prepared to support your stance with credible sources because those who have also done their research and believe differently are going to call you on it.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Just tagging this thread to see the milk studies regarding apparent negative effects on calcium/bone density.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Heroine has only one use that I know of...so I guess my smack addiction is fine!
    What does "a woman of distinguished courage or ability, admired for her brave deeds and noble qualities" have to do with this? :smile:
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Just posting so I can keep an eye on this thread.

By the way, there is a HUGE difference in saying something is not beneficial to health and saying that it is actually detrimental.

In for studies.................
  • DJStewie
    DJStewie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    But did you know that they use water as a lubricant/agent in nuclear reactors? It's also used to wash cars, remove stains from clothing, decontaminate certain hazardous materials, flush toilets and clean windows as well. Fish and some mammals mate in it. It makes metal rust and has been known to kill people. Also, the two elements present in water are hydrogen (which was used to construct hydrogen bombs) and oxygen (which is explosive, and also when combined with carbon, forms the deadly gas carbon monoxide). If one, teeny little oxygen atom is added to water it becomes hydrogen peroxide, which is a strong oxidizer and is also used as a propellant in rocketry. Water is dangerous stuff. Don't know why it's so strongly recommended that everybody drink it.

:laugh:
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I have been gone from this site for awhile but am back and very glad these entertaining boards are still going.
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I imagine those side effects are exaggerated, however, speaking for myself I feel much better now that I cut pop out of my diet. I used to consume a lot of it though, several cans of diet pop a day (I don't like regular pop). I quit mostly because of the aspartame and I found that drinking it just made me crave carbs and bloat That being said, I knew drinking it wasn't "good" for me.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,585 Member
    Options
    lol..oh wow, I knew once I posted this that it would be a battle like every thing is on MFP. I'm just stating that soda is bad for me. Am I saying that its bad for everyone, no. I drink way to much of it and thats why I'm stopping. Anything that gets posted up here, there is always someone that finds something wrong with it, just let people have their own thoughts about things and go along with your own way.
    On a public forum, especially one that has lots of members, I feel it's responsible to post CORRECT information so that people don't get confused. That's why the debate. Just letting people "have their own thoughts" should be have been thought about before posting it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    What does "a woman of distinguished courage or ability, admired for her brave deeds and noble qualities" have to do with this? :smile:

You caught me, lol. It's early is my only excuse.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I heard on the news this week that there is a link between drinking soda and depression!
    Lol, get it right................it's drinking DIET soda and depression!!! I had this debate with someone a few days ago and on the actual article itself it stated that MORE STUDIES NEEDED TO DONE. It wasn't concluded that diet soda caused depression, but was linked to depressed people.

IDEA Fitness member
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Facebook: A source of legitimate scientific research since never.
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I've seriously cut my pop consumption down to maybe once a week, and if possible I choose a sugar-sweetened over a corn syrup sweetened. I've always gone with coke over pepsi,~ but after reading some of the unusual uses for coca cola, I've really thought twice before drinking that cola. Just some Ive read are: killing bugs, cleaning grease stains from clothing, removing black film from pots & pans, removing skunk odor, cleaning windows, and de-rusting metal~

Think I heard somewhere that it can be used to cleanup the, ahem, "mess" after nasty car accidents too....
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Come on....I think we can all agree that sodas just aren't good for you.
    It's neither good nor bad. The point is that people who are stating that it's bad are looking at it subjectively, mostly because they are somehow some sort of health gurus, when the science that's studied it for decades hasn't shown that SMALL amounts of it isn't detrimental to health.
    Over consume ANYTHING and it would be bad for you.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Amy62575
    Amy62575 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I was going to say, you probably think dairy is good for you, too. A bodly fluid produced by cows for their newborn offspring...yet YOU think that human adults somehow need this for their own nutrition.

I would love to debate this more, but I am tired and going to head to bed. Besides, you want to believe a sugary, artifical, lab-produced, acidic beverage isn't harmful to you, I am probably not going to change your mind.
    You DON'T need milk to be healthy, but to tout that it has no benefits from consumption is false. Calcium is important and provided by milk.
    And you'd lose the debate. You claim to research information, but don't use actual peer reviewed clinical science. But thanks for playing anyway.

IDEA Fitness member

You need to go back to google, ninerbuff. Milk has been proven over and over to actually aggravate osteoporosis. You see, milk is slightly acidic and in order to neutralize the acid, your body pulls calcium straight from your bones. That is why populations that have very low dairy consumption have much lower rates of bone fractures and osteoporosis.

But, you know, you can just keep on believing what the dairy industry tells you, if that's what you want to do.

Again - please back up your source with studies that show a causation. I have yet to see one and I keep asking people who make this claim.

I've done that so many times already. Funny, I don't see the soda and dairy advocates posting their peer-reviewed studies. Honestly, like I said before, I think if people are honestly curious about a subject and willing to have an open mind, they need to do their own research. If I posted a bunch of studies, I would imagine (and frankly, expect) people to go on and look things up even more. I just don't have the energy right now to find all these acceptable sources for you, when you could easily do it yourself. Make sense?

If you have done it so many times, surely you have all this research to hand. How about sharing so that you can try to get some credibility for all these claims you are making.

And no, it does not make sense as I have looked into studies re soda and milk and have found no such studies that show a causation effect on bone density. So, I cannot easily find them - I tend to suspect that they do not exist but would be very happy if you could show me studies proving me wrong.

Ok. No problem. Lets meet back here tomorrow, as it is 2 am where I live and I need to get to sleep. I will definitely post studies tomorrow. We must be using a different world wide Internet if you are unable to find studies showing the correlation between dairy consumption and osteoporosis. I will help you.

Thank you so much...I look forward to seeing peer reviewed studies showing a causation of dairy consumption on osteoporosis. I have a few studies myself waiting...they do not show that however :wink:

^^^This.
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Everyone always has to defend the worst stuff, for whatever reason. Soda is digusting sweet chemicals, that is all it is. If people want to try to compare it to plain water...well, let them. Anyone with a brain can reason that soda is not, CAN not, and never will be good for you. Look at the list of ingredients and try to say all that isn't doing something negative to your body.
    Anyone with a brain would objectively research actual science on the cause and effect of soda/diet soda. Do you even know what's in a can of soda? If you do, then you'll find them is many things we eat and even in "nature".

IDEA Fitness member

I have researched it. There are tons and tons of claims by nutritionists, scientists, and doctors saying its not good for you and a smaller amount that say its ok. All I know is that when I stopped drinking it I lost weight, and when I do occasionally drink a Pepsi, it makes me feel like ****. My body tells me "no good" and that's enough for me.