My coworkers are making fun of my healthy eating habits

Options

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    You should sharpen baby carrots and hurl them like darts when your coworkers bother you.
  • angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I get the same thing at my work. haha. I'm definitely the "weird" one. I'm vegan and I eat extremely healthy like 80% of the time and people even think my stir-fry with tofu is weird, or meals with a large variety of veggies in it. Little do they know, I eat WAY weirder at home... like green smoothies with swiss chard, spinach, spirulina, flax, and fruit blended together. Dates, raw seeds, nutritional yeast, maca powder, hemp protein powder, etc. Now that's the kind of stuff I keep within my home so people don't make fun of me. I really shouldn't care, since everyone knows I eat healthy and have lost a large amount of weight.. but I still feel embarrassed when people talk about it as if I'm crazy.

Just keep doing your thing! You're better off with your healthy habits! :)

@Herbivore- Have you always been vegetarian or did you switch to a vegetarian lifestyle to get healthy?
  • TinaLosesIt
    Options
    they make fun of you because they're actually jealous/probably to weak to commit to eating healthy...good job!

^^^That is exactly why they tease you! Keep it up, you'll certainly reach your goals a LOT faster then they will ;)
  • angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    ...but I'm not too bent out of shape about it.
    I've taken to eating whole raw tomatoes and green peppers for snacks. Because they're healthy, delicious, and I'm too lazy to cut them up in the morning.
    So, what's so weird about that?
    My co-worker eats dried orange peels, so she has no room to talk.

lool dried orange peels, thats pretty bizarre, its like the rubbish part of a fruit.

I'd have to say if I saw someone bite into a tomato/green pepper like its an apple I would probably be like lol wtf.

maybe take a knife, so you can cut up your tomato, or its there when you finally snap and need something to decapitate people with.

stay strong. :P

haha.. I eat peppers and tomatoes like they are apples. LOL too funny. lol
    Vampire! (That reminds me of the Bunnicula books when I was a kid.)
    I LOVED those books!!! I probably still have them at moms! I think it was a cartoon too.. and what was that vegetarian vampire duck cartoon?? oh gosh.. that cartoon was soo funny too! Count Duckula right?? LOLOL

LOVED Bunnicula!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hahahahaha
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Very carefully. I suck out all the juice first.

This reminds me of Bunnicula...

http://www.amazon.com/Bunnicula-Rabbit-Tale-Mystery-Deborah-Howe/dp/1416928170

(This is what I get for not reading the entire thread before commenting...)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Simple reply that will usually shut them up when people start jamming you up about your food choices: "If I wanted to look like you, I'd eat like you".
  • foxymama73
    foxymama73 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Like so many others have said, they are just jealous...total "haters" who don't have the willpower to change. I prefer cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes...I use them to fulfill veggie requirements, they are so great...I eat about 6 of them, and call it good:smile: Good luck on your fitness goals...we can all use support:flowerforyou:
  • S_U_M_M_E_R
    S_U_M_M_E_R Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    People need to mind their own business. What you do is YOUR business and not theirs. I hate that. Honestly, knowing myself, I would say JUST THAT! It's MY BUSINESS what I eat, you pay attention to YOU. That should really get them to be quiet. People ARE jealous -it's only the unhealthy ppl who will find the way you eat as weird.

What I have always found as odd is when someone is healthy they are called a "health nut" - why does the word, "nut" have to be there for that. And when they workout, they are referred to as "workout freaks". And when they have a clean and in order home or office desk they are referred to as, "clean freak". Why are they, "freaks"? What's odd is when people do what they are suppose to do, they are called, "nuts or freaks". When people are lazy, sloppy, eat badly and don't work out, no one says anything. It seems the "the way you SHOULDN'T be", is now the norm with people today. Here is what i get a lot, I smile often (I don't know why, habit I guess) and sometimes when I talk I smile out loud, meaning I throw in a laugh with it (like when I say hi to people). People always have to comment on "why are you so happy?" or "What's so funny?". I say, nothing, I'm just happy. I mean aren't we suppose to be happy, do I need an excuse to be happy? It is just that I am HAPPY! But when I am sad, or not smiling, no one asks why I am not smiling.

We need to regroup on what is good and stop thinking of it as, "weird".
  • S_U_M_M_E_R
    S_U_M_M_E_R Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Simple reply that will usually shut them up when people start jamming you up about your food choices: "If I wanted to look like you, I'd eat like you".
    HAHAH! I LOVE this!
  • StrongAndHealthyMommy
    StrongAndHealthyMommy Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    I get the peppers. I like them, too. But wouldn't the tomatoes be....squishy? Like, how do you bite into that without getting tomato all over your chin?

I buy cherry tomatoes - gorgeous and sweet - and one bite at a time ;-)

i love cherry tomatoes... I can eat the whole box in one afternoon
  • Princ3ssj
    Princ3ssj Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Perhaps a snappy reply will keep their nose out of your business..
    " you think this is weird? Ya know what I think is weird, eating things I cant pronounce". - pretty much every chemical and additive in the processed foods they likely consume.
    I also like the previous of if I want to look like you id eat like you.
    or you could change the subject and mention how you think their clothing choice is 'weird'

Theres always a straight forward approach of telling someone you dont appreciate their comments, theyre hurting your feelings, if they dont have anything nice to say please dont say anything at all etc.

However you choose to deal with it, please know youre doing the right thing. Sometimes the right thing is not the easy thing- especially when it comes to healthy habits. keep it up, your body thanks you.

Cheers
    xoxo
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I used to get this all the time.

"What is that!?!?!?!"

"Pea soup for breakfast again"

"it looks like baby vomit/shyte"

I kept at it. Each day someone would ask me what was in it, and i would patiently explain over and over what was in it and exactly how to make it taste good.

Pineapple
    Mango
    Banana
    And leafy greens
    Blend

now half my office are making them.

Take that btchz. Drink my green gold.
  • squidbully
    squidbully Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Want me 2 beat them up 4 you?
  • Artemis751
    Artemis751 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It's not weird at all. It's them who have the problem, not you. Keep it up and just laugh at them, don't let them wind you up.
    Not nice people :-(
  • surrealchereal
    surrealchereal Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean, people that you feel are pretty good friends just have to make fun of you for eating healthy. I'm a vegan and everyone has to put their two cents in, and always jump at the chance to tell me I need to eat meat. It's been going on for over a year now.... you just have to tune it out. I don't think they realize how hurtful it can be, ignore them and silently have the last laugh when you have your awesome new body and great health.
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Dont let it get to you at all. Who cares what others think. I know its easier said than done. But, just remember you are fueling your body with healthy foods. It doesn't matter how you eat them. ;) Keep up the great work!!
  • Razbet
    Razbet Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My dad who would be almost 90 used to pick tomatoes out of the garden every summer and eat them like apples. Your post makes me miss my dad. :)
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    People make fun of me too! I spend a lot of time preparing my food so I usually have a HUGE bag with all kinds of tupperware and baggies in it, haha. I eat small meals too, so I'm always running to the kitchen every 2-3 hrs and my boss always makes some snarky comment when I walk by his office. It's interesting that he's making fun of me though, since he's around 350 lbs. He saw me lose 25 lbs by doing this so you'd think he wouldn't make fun of me, but to each their own.
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    How weird....I mean really....

I am just glad that it is not odd that I eat an entire cucumber or a can of green beans for a snack. :-)
  • planner2582
    planner2582 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My coworkers chug I don't know how many protein shakes and vitamin packs and drink mixes that are supposed to boost your metabolism... but think its sooooooooooooooo strange that I put veggies in my morning smoothie, or that I eat left over chicken with my breakfast.

Uhhhhhhhhh... you ingest protein all day long, and so do I. I just prefer food.

When they complain of headaches all day, of feeling lethargic and getting sick all the time, I just shrug my shoulders. Eating healthy food is not weird!