Do you have any strange fears?

Options

Replies

• Zalovar
    Zalovar Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have an aversion to wooden spoons and wool. It's a texture thing, touching them gives me the willies.
  • CanuckLove
    CanuckLove Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Wal-Mart
  • loneworg
    loneworg Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    birds...flying demons i say
  • harrietlg
    harrietlg Posts: 239
    Options
    foxes, they are just orange ankle biters to me and it terrifies me to go near one, they are also a pain in the a s s fighting with the cats on my road
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    Wal-Mart

yep ^^^
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    It's not really a fear, but it's something that will almost always cause me to react negativly. That is wet gloopy sounds (ie, mayo, yogurt, jello, pudding, sour cream etc.) even thinking about it now makes me gag.

My husband thinks its hilarious...but then I remind him of his fear of snakes and he backs off.
  • imfivebyfive
    Options
    Aliens. Ancient or otherwise.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I can walk underneath an awning and I can walk around an awning, but my skin crawls if I walk halfway underneath with any part of my body under the edge of it. A long time ago, my imagination got me thinking that if it fell down while I was halfway underneath it, it would slice me in half. While my rational adult mind realizes it would do no such thing, I still don't walk under the edge if I can help it.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I don't know that this is a strange fear as much as an actual anxiety disorder, but I'm afraid of large groups of people. Like being at a stadium, convention center, parade, etc. Whenever I'm in a large group, especially standing, but even sitting, all I can think about is something going wrong, everyone having to evacuate and me falling and being trampled to death. It sucks b/c I love live music. Local shows in small venues are okay but if I want to go to a big show, I have to get pretty sedated.

I'm also terrified of being carjacked but that's because I was attacked in a parking lot when I was 16. Attacked is a strong word, I guess. I guy came up behind me, put his hand over my mouth, shoved something into my back (said it was a gun) and told me to give him my keys and climb over to the passenger side. Lucky for me, mall security came driving up and the guy took off, but it totally took a toll on me. I'll drive around a parking lot for half an hour to get a spot up front, I don't walk out to my car alone at night EVER and I'm constantly checking to make sure my doors are locked while I'm in the car.
  • wildechild74
    wildechild74 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    doing dishes without gloves, a full fridge....let the anxiety begin! cra-cra!!
  • Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Fear of heights but only those that are man made structures like observation towers in state parks. However, I can and will climb ham radio towers with the right safety gear without issue.
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    I have diagnosed OCD. Not the I-like-a-clean-house kind, but the real kind. So, yes, I have many strange fears.

My current big one is bed bugs. I am afraid to travel because of it. I have acquaintances who have had them and it just seems like my worst nightmare come to life. The can't be killed like other pests and chew on you in the night? Ick.

Lightning was and is a big one for me. I can't sleep in my metal bed if it's lightning outside. Totally irrational, but then, OCD is inherently irrational.

I worked in psychiatry research for 12 years. Many of the women I interviewed (diagnosed with OCD) really did have a clean house thing going on. Unfortunately, I cannot share any stories, but there are some truly over-the-top things you can do with that particular compulsion (and you're right -- it's way more than just liking a clean house). Fortunately, though, the large group of women I worked with were truly amazing people; I think that two year period was the most fun I've ever had on a job.
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I've got the pretty typical fear of clowns (brought on by it as a child)and spiders (they are just creepy). Strange would be my dad's fear, he hates dragon flies, one got into the car once, i had no idea a grown man could squeak that loud.
  • Jesstruhan
    Jesstruhan Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    High places over running water. I FREEZE if I don't have something to hang on to in order to cross them.
    Also...looking into mirrors when it's dark and the lights are off. Creeps me out something awful. I won't have mirrors that face the bed and I'll cover them if they are facing me when I'm sleeping.
  • KittyViolet
    KittyViolet Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Pretty much all the elements.

WIND. I f****** hate high winds! Like when the wind picks up to the point where it's easily whipping trees left and right, and you can hear your house groan under the pressure and garbage cans are flying down the road. My heart leaps up to my throat, I stop breathing, and my whole body tenses up. I'm a small girl, so I have this ridiculous fear that the wind is just going to blow me away, or blow something into me. I think it stems from the one time my dad bought me a kite as a young child and took me out on a windy day to fly it. The feeling of the handles yanking up from the wind terrified me and till does to this day. This girl does not fly kites lol.

FIRE. It's an uncontrollable element, I can't breathe when I'm around it, it just makes me nervous! This one also stems from a childhood incident. It was Halloween and my mom had bought some freaky candles in the shape of an eyeball and a bloodied hand. The hand candle had five wicks. She lit them and went off to do other things. I just happened to be milling about when I noticed the wax was melting way too fast. In a matter of seconds, the five little flames had merged into one BIG flame while the whole candle seemed to disintegrate. I just remember screaming "MOMMY" over and over and crying until she came barreling down the stairs to put it out before something else caught fire. And not a single candle was lit in our house since.

WATER. I can swim fairly well. I forced myself to learn how, so I deal with it much better now. I just don't like to be fully submerged in it. But, I almost drowned, at a public pool, with LIFE GUARDS and TEACHERS watching. Someone decided to get out the giant floatation mat, they dropped it right on my head, and then jumped on! I'm surprised I managed to find my way out from under it. All I got from the teacher was "but you were swimming just fine!"

I like my solid earth, thanks. Never did anything to hurt me.
  • Alford96
    Options
    Not being able to move my legs or extremities for whatever reason. Once I was in a tickle war with a friend and I got trapped under them for too long and just about bit a chunk out of their arm to get out. Seriously, I tried to tell them to let me up several times but they didn't so panic set in and CHOMP. I had an unexpected C-section with my last child and I was only mildly anxiety ridden when they started the meds because I couldn't feel anything below my upper stomach but THEN THEY TIED MY ARMS DOWN TOO!!!! OH MY GOODNESS!!! I kept having visions of some disaster occuring and everyone leaving me STRAPPED DOWN IN THE OR!! I love my son and he was already going to be the last one, but that experience cinched that decision irrevocably!
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    horses. if they weren't bad enough, some d*ck had to give them wings and a horn.
  • rsm1972
    rsm1972 Posts: 283
    Options
    No Reason To Fear!!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Two. Getting lost. Even with a GPS I get scared. And talking on the telephone with strangers.
  • andrea9090
    Options
    deathly afraid of bevis and butthead and having any closet doors opened while im trying to sleep or if im alone