Do you have any strange fears?

Options

Replies

• ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I also don't like those pressurized tubes of dough. I especially hate when you complete the wrapper peeling process and it STILL doesn't pop open so you have to force it by banging it on the counter or (even worse) poking it with a fork. *Shudder* You just never know when it's going to pop.

I go into a mild panic attack when my phone rings and I don't recognize the number. A million visions of bad news flash through my head... car wrecks, family in hospital, is my husband okay, where are my children, someone from work calling to yell at me, test results, I'm fired, someone's mad at me, I did something wrong, badnewsbadnewsbadnews.... ACK.
  • jumpingsquare
    jumpingsquare Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm still afraid of the dark, even at 28 years old. If I have to take the trash down to the street in the dark, I'll walk the bin down and then run back to the house because I no longer have a 'weapon' as soon as I let go of the can. lol
  • TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    rounding the bases and finding a 'man' on third.
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    Horses... not sure why, but I have been since I was a kid. I am getting better though as I get older. I can actually approach one now without getting that empty feeling in my stomach.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Strange fears? Maybe IDK I think they are pretty normal.

I am terrified of being stuck in a car while being trapped under water and not being able to get out. I can swim (used to teach, and speed swim and do synchro) and I think that plays into my fear of not being able to control the situation..

I am aslo very cautious in public washrooms. I am terrified that I will be using a stall and a clown will stick its head through the space between the floor and the door. Kind of like on Zombieland... but its been my fear since I was like 2 so yeah... theres that... Clowns in general terrify me - to the point I will viciously attack when they get close to me.. one poor clown ended up with a black eye from a 2 liter pop bottle once... I felt bad but I had asked him to go away 4 times.
  • cowgirlashlee
    cowgirlashlee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Not so much a fear as a HUGE texture issue with me...fish scales! I can't touch them or anything ridged like them without gagging. I think it stems from having stitches in my top lip as a kid that felt like a row of ridged scales. My fiance thinks it's hilarious. I have lots of other texture issues too, but I think that one is the worst.
  • ChaseAlder
    Options
    Not being able to move my legs or extremities for whatever reason. Once I was in a tickle war with a friend and I got trapped under them for too long and just about bit a chunk out of their arm to get out. Seriously, I tried to tell them to let me up several times but they didn't so panic set in and CHOMP. I had an unexpected C-section with my last child and I was only mildly anxiety ridden when they started the meds because I couldn't feel anything below my upper stomach but THEN THEY TIED MY ARMS DOWN TOO!!!! OH MY GOODNESS!!! I kept having visions of some disaster occuring and everyone leaving me STRAPPED DOWN IN THE OR!! I love my son and he was already going to be the last one, but that experience cinched that decision irrevocably!

This is one of the little nuggetsoif info they tend to leave out during your pre-op discussions... if you even have time for one. I was so confused when they tied my arms down and I couldn't hold my son. Confused and angry! What a helpless feeling. That hour of recovery was the longest hour of my life.
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Wal-Mart

that's not strange! that's a giant cesspool
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Spiders (not so strange I guess) and going over bridges.

Also, it's not really a fear I guess, but I can't stand having the doors unlocked either at home or in my car. If I can't remember if I checked all the doors before I go to bed, I can't sleep and have to get up to check.
  • Aussiechick59
    Options
    Well, I personally hate spiders with a passion, especially big hairy ones, I'll run screaming in the opposite direction.

But a weird phobia that a friend has is she's scared of balloons. I didn't know this and invited her to a party one time and the room was decorated with bunches of balloons and she wouldn't come into it, just stayed in the kitchen all night. I'd never heard of a balloon phobia before that.

And another girl I knew didn't like to touch raw meat, especially chicken, it totally grossed her out. I guess it has a kind of slimy feel to it. :laugh: She used to cook with rubber gloves on, now that's awkward. :ohwell:
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    FEET!!!! I HATE FEET!

Someone gets there feet near me I tense up, If they don't have socks on I go into panic mode... The feel touch me I FREAK. I am talking scream, cry and move the farthest I can away from them. Family thinks it is funny to put their feet on me while in the car... I am trying to wedge myself against the dashboard and crawl in the area between the windsheild and dashboard. .
    ahhh me too, even my own feet, i have to constently "ped egg" my feet because if they get ruff, i cant touch my own feet to even my leg or it freaks me out

I won't let my husband touch my feet. almost broke his nose once cause he thought it'd be funny to not only grab my foot, but try to tickle it.
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    I have an aversion to wooden spoons and wool. It's a texture thing, touching them gives me the willies.

for me its corrugated cardboard, the texture and feeling of dirtiness gives me the willies. I have to have gloves on, or if I'm touching it for just a short duration, I can skip the gloves but I must be able to IMMEDIATELY wash my hands after I'm done touching it.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    Latex balloons... When I was in kindergarden my teacher told us that if one popped and you swallowed it you would die because it would adhere to your throat and the EMT's wouldnt be able to remove it in time. Needless to say scarred for life .....
  • carolb325
    Options
    styrofoam
  • traceybarbour
    traceybarbour Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Scared of German Shepards... No idea why...
    I love dogs and have a doberman (Which people leave the dog park when we come in) He wouldnt hurt a flea.
    But theres some kind of feeling I get when I see a German Shepard
    And oh yea mice... OMG I will pack and leave if I where to see one.
  • ChaseAlder
    Options
    Pretty much all the elements.

WIND. I f****** hate high winds! Like when the wind picks up to the point where it's easily whipping trees left and right, and you can hear your house groan under the pressure and garbage cans are flying down the road. My heart leaps up to my throat, I stop breathing, and my whole body tenses up. I'm a small girl, so I have this ridiculous fear that the wind is just going to blow me away, or blow something into me. I think it stems from the one time my dad bought me a kite as a young child and took me out on a windy day to fly it. The feeling of the handles yanking up from the wind terrified me and till does to this day. This girl does not fly kites lol.

We rode out the tornado in Joplin, MO in 2011 in a house that was two blocks south of being completely levelled... worst day of my life. I have never been so frightened in all my life holding on to door handles to keep the doors from being sucked out the windows and taking us with them, both of my children huddled underneath me singing songs to keep calm. I don't mind most wind, but if the house makes even ONE BIT of noise because of it, it's enough to send us all into the closet with pillows. Omg.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    EELS! Scared to death of eels!! I won't go swimming in anything but crystal clear water. If someone catches an eel when we go fishing I run screaming till they get it back in the water. They freak me out!!
  • Shayyy01
    Shayyy01 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid of anything being to close to my eyeball!
  • chrome_princess
    chrome_princess Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, where do I get started on this one?

I am claustrophobic. Not strange, that one is pretty common. I can't handle blankets over my head, closed in elevators, anything like that where I breathe in my own air. I also don't do insects, of any sort. Can't handle them.

The strange ones ... well, I have those too. I am scared to death of snowmen. They just weird me out. For some people it's clowns - snowmen are my equivalent.

Another one that is just strange - if there is something disgusting in a sink, I cannot drink water from the tap. I know one has absolutely nothing to do with the other, but it's this weird thing in my head. (Not that I actually drink tap water anymore particularly where I live where we have super hard water. But, still ... if there's a drain blockage, an extremely dirty sink, dishes in the sink, something defrosting, anything like that, I absolutely cannot bring myself to drink water from that tap.)

And since watching "Honey, I Shrunk The Kids," I have a fear of walking barefoot in the backyard for fear of stepping on a scorpion.

Yeah - I'm strange. I know.
  • hisgirl86
    hisgirl86 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I used to have an INTENSE fear of lightning thunder storms. Ever since I was a small kid I would freak out. My parents would send me out of the room when the weather forecast came on the news because if there were storms coming in the next few days-freak out. I once broke down in third grade because of people talking about bad storms. When it stormed, I would have to sit in the hallway where there were no windows and away from all electrical outlets, and just pray and bawl my eyes out. I have gotten a lot better in my adult years...but still refuse to be near a window, outlet, or even the sink or toilet when its storming.

I don't like spiders. AT ALL.

I don't like being in natural water (lakes, rivers, ponds, ocean) over my head or when I can't see the bottom. Freaks me out to no end the possibilities of what's under me.

And this isn't a fear, but just an oddity......I always feel off balance if something happens to my right side and not something equal or great on my left side. If I scratch my right arm, I have do it with more intensity to my left arm. If I'm driving and I hit a stick or a small hole, or even the paint on the road with the right tires, I HAVE to even out somehow.