Healthy diet, no vegetables???

Options

Replies

• janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    My DH & I don't like veggies much either. Here's some of my solutions:

1. Indian food. There are so many wonderful recipes out there for Indian food which contain veggies. Now each person is different, for instance, my dh HATES okra & won't even eat it in Indian Food, & I'm no fan but I love it in Indian food. Indian food has amazing gravies & sauces that are sooooo tasty, especially if you like a bit of spice like I do.

2. Smoothies. Either a juicer or a high end blender will do. Blend up kale & spinach with fresh pineapple, orange/tangerines, old bananas, blueberries......seriously this still tastes amazing. As you go on juicing/blending you'll get more used to a greener taste. Mix it up too, it's healthier, by using broccoli/cauliflower, etc.

3. You may prefer raw veggies over cooked ones. I do. I love salad!

Hope these ideas help! GL!
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Have you tried juicing vegetables? This is how I get my vegetables in as well as steaming them. But, you would be amazed at how many vegetables you can get in if you juice them. That might be worth a try?
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Learn to love vegetables.

Exactly. Try putting spinach or kale in smoothies with fruit so you don't taste it. There can't be a truly healthy diet without vegetables.
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    ahahhaha. No.

Trust me. You'll find a vegetable that works. Get creative. Go to the store, pick some new ones up and google search some dishes. Like really. Go in with 20 bucks, and pick some random things you've never had before. It'll be A) Fun B) Educational and C) At least you tried something new vegetable wise.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    There is such a HUGE variety of vegetable tastes and textures that there have to be SOME you will like. Perhaps you just haven't tried them yet. Try EVERYTHING! Go to the produce section in the store and work your way through it. Buy an unfamiliar thing a week, find a recipe, and try it. Try roasting things. Try pureeing things into soups. Try them with a variety of sauces. If you really WANT a healthy diet you will find a way to fit vegetables into it. If it turns out you truly DO hate all the vegetables, which I sincerely doubt, you may still have to tell yourself to power through and eat some for the sake of your health. As grown ups, sometimes we choose to do things just because they are important, whether we enjoy them or not.
  • Skchers
    Skchers Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Since you like pasta, try a whole wheat,or whole grain one.
  • errorika
    errorika Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I usually just cut them up into small-ish pieces when i cook and swallow them whole. I also do this FIRST before I eat anything else on in the dish, that way I can enjoy the rest of my meal normally. I don't like the taste or the texture (or both) of most vegetables, but you gotta do what you gotta do.
  • Cathymic2004
    Options
    No mam...that diet can't be healthy without veggies. Try to fix them different ways and that should make them better for you. Other than that I have no suggestions. Oh and try to push your fruits...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I am just wondering if there is anyone else out there like me who really wants to have a great healthy diet but doesn't eat any vegetables? I love potatoes and can eat peas but don't like them very much. Any other vegetable I've tried I don't like. I'm a pretty plain eater but love pasta, eggs, chicken, cheese etc. Any ideas on nice recipes or dishes I can make that's gonna be helpful for weight loss? :) Any advice would be great! :)

Advice: eat your vegetables. If you don't like the veggies you've tried, try different ones. Or try preparing them differently.

You can lose weight without vegetables, but you'll need to eat less volume than if you included them. Most vegetables are low calorie and you can eat a huge plateful for the same calories as other foods. Plus they provide vital nutrients. Get out of the "I don't like vegetable" mindset. While you are learnign to like them, don't eat the vegetables plain. Mix them into dishes.

Dish suggestions:
    chicken and bean tacos, burritos or nachos (veggies to add - chopped onion, cilantro, tomato, avocado)
    Pasta - use red sauce (tomato sauce is a vegetable), add chopped onion, garlic, basil, parsley. Puree in cooked carrots or zucchini - you won't even notice them)
    Pasta with mushroom sauce
    Chicken or shrimp stir fry with veggies
    Omelet, frittata, or quiche with finely chopped vegetables - shredded or finely chopped vegetables are less noticable in a dish - and cheese
    Soups, stews and chilis are excellent ways to get your veggies in.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Experiment with Green Smoothies. Use Spinach, not Kale! Add banana and you won't even know your doing something good for yourself. Go to Kim Snyder's website for Glowing Green Smoothie Recipe.

ummm kale>spinach

but i do a mixture of both

Kale is SOOOO good now if you live in the northern hemispehere... It's nice and sweet and hardly any bitterness. I use an ENTIRE POUND in my juice and it didn't overpower it at all. In the summer, when the kale is very powerfully flavored, if you're not an experienced juicer or veggie lover, then I'd recommend the spinach. Also, kale is not great for smoothies unless you have a vitamix type blender because it is so fiberous.
  • hollyjane77
    Options
    Hey Danielle. I just want to let you know, you are not alone. I don't eat veggies either. Most people would say, just suck it up - they're good for you. And if you are able to do that, you definitely should. Including veggies in your diet would certainly be ideal. But if you're like me and you can't for any reason, there are other things you can do to stay healthy. Sent you a message.
  • Metallux
    Metallux Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    seriously, green juicing. you can jam pack ALL the nutrients of your veggie needs into one daily 8oz glass. be sure to add some fruit and lemon at first. veggies are non negotiable ♥--consider them "money in the bank" for your body.
  • jacktin
    jacktin Posts: 24
    Options
    My spouse will eat fruit all day long, but he LOATHES vegetables. So, I have to be sneaky and put them in things he would not expect. Some things I do are chicken quesadillas with mushrooms,spinache, bellpepper and onion with cheese and spices to cover up the vegetable taste. Making low fat chocolate cake with beets and natural apple sauce :p.I mix spaghetti squash with some real noodles for spaghetti dinner along with adding onions, mushrooms,diced lightly sauteed eggplant, small chunks of califlower and anything else I can sneak into spagehetti sauce. He can't really tell the difference and I tell him after he has eaten it :p He does like smoothies and you can add just about anything to a smoothie. He likes cranberry,carrot,banana,strawberry,peach and bellpepper with low fat vanilla yogurt.The trick is to cover it with powerful sauces that are not high in fat or calories,or cut them very small so he can see them.
  • fun_b
    fun_b Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I used to get terrible constipation and until one day I realised I couldn't live this way anymore. Now I have vegetables regularly. I get a vegetable pack which has Broccolli, Brussel Sprouts and Cauliflower. I hate all three vegetables but I eat it with boiled eggs and some grated cheese or sometimes with baked beans so I can't always taste it.
  • Sorry, OP, you'll just have to be experimental and try new vegetables at the risk you'll prep them and not like them.
    My boyfriend is a very very picky eater with a similar aversion to vegetables.
    What I do is sneak in veggies in ways he won't know they're there or have them seasoned til he likes them.

Homemade pizzas, fried rice, casseroles, soups, that kinda thing.

For you, you like pastas, cheese, and chicken, so make a chicken noodle casserole and shove some frozen peas and carrots and diced up cauliflower and broccoli.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I've found that veggies are so much more exciting when they're roasted! Highly suggest. Also, if you're not getting any veggies, I would highly suggest supplementing your diet with something like Shakeology, which has a ton of nutrition and acts as a meal supplement. I'd be happy to tell you about it.

Nice spam job. Second one from a Jan 2013 user today.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    seriously, green juicing. you can jam pack ALL the nutrients of your veggie needs into one daily 8oz glass. be sure to add some fruit and lemon at first. veggies are non negotiable ♥--consider them "money in the bank" for your body.

YES! If you are very sensitive to bitter, you can add extra lemon to cut the bitter and then add a bit of stevia to cut the sweet. I can get 10 servings of veg and 1 serving of fruit in a 16 ounce green juice (VERY green juice with 50% of the volume of the finished juice coming from leafy greens). Granted, you lose out on the cellulose (insoluble fiber) but you still get you micronutrients, protein and soluble fiber.
  • angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Preparation really is EVERYTHING!

I hated brussel sprouts but I found that if I roast them really good in the oven some olive oil, sea salt and pepper, and fresh garlic- YUM!!!!!!! Keep trying new things before you give up on them! :)
  • findingmyfit
    Options
    You're just used to eating crap. Once you start eating veggies, you may not like them then but trust me you'll eventually love them.
  • efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    You just need to hide your vegetables in meals like stews, soups, chilis, etc and not eat them plain.

You may find as you get older you like vegetables more so don't ever completely give up on them.