WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2013

Options

Replies

• mwheatcraft54
    mwheatcraft54 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Cheryl, you've lost 8 lbs in 2 1/2 months - just slightly lower than 1 lb a week. You're still doing great - please don't get discouraged.
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Howdy all. It’s an office day for me until 3:00 then I have to help with a test review. The students have all made it through 2 weeks! Woohoo! Something is wrong at our house with the electricity in the garage and outside. No power. The GFI trips, hubby resets it then it goes off again. Thank goodness it has been pretty cold so nothing in the freezer or outside fridge has been ruined. My fitness buddy and I weighed in today; she gained 5 pounds and was so upset. I don’t think you can actually gain that much weight in one week, so I told her it had to be water weight! What do you guys think? I was up 0.2 pounds, but that isn’t bad considering last week when I lost all that I hadn’t been eating hardly at all. So I’m ok with it. I do have to be better about logging. I went back and looked at didn’t log at all on three days. UGH I don’t know why.

Last night I think I did an emotional eating mini-binge. I was watching the lance Armstrong interview on TV and right in my line of sight is the pantry, and right at eye level was a bag of chips. I don’t usually buy them but needed them to top my very yummy tuna casserole. There they sat; no one else had eaten them either, so I had some. Not a ton, but probably 3 servings. I wasn’t hungry; I wasn’t craving them; I just sort of though well,,, there they are and I never eat chips! It could have been much worse, but I can’t figure out why I did it!

BJ: Hope your friend is on the mend soon! Congrats on hitting such a great milestone!

Lin: have you ever had Trader Joe’s frozen mango chunks? I haven’t but keep hearing how great they are so one day I’ll head over there!

DebA: good for you for hitting the gym!

Gail: I bet you are happy that your niece was booted for another 6 months! Prayers to her.

Lynn: good for you to get that swimming in!

Liz: great news on the circuit training!

Barbie: I have been trying to join the walk across America, but it never lets me finish the process. Gremlins!

Lila: tuck in early tonight for the extra zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzs! I gave DD#1 my opinion, but then let it go at that. She’s going to do what she wants no matter what.

Kate: been missing you! Good to see you again

Viv: have a great weekend!

DeeDee: we’ll all be cheering you along as you train for your 5K

LindaC: great news on your blood sugars!!!

Katla: great job on your weight loss! You deserve it!!!

Mndtowka: cute joke! You’re right we need to laugh more!

Lenti: you’re right about the banks being way behind!!!

Nancy: I consider that a victory that you only gained 2 pounds over Christmas!

M: Boy I agree with your friend….watching Oprah? I’ll never admit that I did! DD#1 was 13 and DD#2 was 9 when we adopted them. Good job on your weight loss and have a wonderful birthday weekend!

Lucy: so glad to hear your meeting went well. I am sure you feel so much better!

Wessecg: where do you find out about quicken loans? We have 4 rental properties we want to refinance.

Robin: is there room in your rainbow cloak for me too?

Glenda : The way you described the shower sounded lovely! I’m glad you made good choices!

janeHadji: happy birthday!

Alicia: welcome

JaneM: have a great weekend too. Hope you get lots of grandma time!

Well I have eaten my yummy ham-and swiss-and lettuce-and cucumber sandwich, so it’s time to get back to work! Take care all and let’s have a fun weekend! Meg
  • wisconsinboogie
    wisconsinboogie Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies, just found this thread, Im 52 and its a struggle to get the wt. off, doesnt help being short, perimenopausal, low thyroid...uggg, Have to work that much harder. So this is new for me, but Im finding all the posts encouraging, and helpful. I have always been physically active and eat healthy (most the time), but when I fall off the track the wt. really piles on fast......so here I am:flowerforyou: back on track with my first goal of 30lbs...I live in beautiful far northern Wisconsin. Walking is my main passion, so when the snow flies, I strap on the snowshoes, and hit the trails out my back door, or when its below zero, I drive 38 mi. round trip to the gym 3/ wk., or get beat up by Jillian:laugh: well, off to a weekend trip to southern Wi.,have a good weekend all...I plan on returning...hopefully 2lbs lighter:drinker:
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouraging words.

Megblair, they just kept calling me and I kept hanging up on them. Finally one day I said, "Listen, you will NOT BE ABLE to refinance this property because the mortgage is $200,000 more than the value of the house, and it is an investment property. To which they said, "We know that and we can do it." Then they did. It is awesome because our money is sooooo tight (with 3 mortgages, $1200 a month child support, 3 kids, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 8 horses and a parkeet) but this year we refinanced both of our homes and now have an extra $750 a month. Doesn't sound like much but when you're to the wire like we were it's like being given free gasoline for the month.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouraging words.

Megblair, they just kept calling me and I kept hanging up on them. Finally one day I said, "Listen, you will NOT BE ABLE to refinance this property because the mortgage is $200,000 more than the value of the house, and it is an investment property. To which they said, "We know that and we can do it." Then they did. It is awesome because our money is sooooo tight (with 3 mortgages, $1200 a month child support, 3 kids, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 8 horses and a parkeet) but this year we refinanced both of our homes and now have an extra $750 a month. Doesn't sound like much but when you're to the wire like we were it's like being given free gasoline for the month.

Congratulations! Who were you doing business with?
  • blossy2
    Options
    Hi, I am Barbara.I started my fitness pal January 8,2013
  • tammytylerjones
    tammytylerjones Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I didn't have time to post this morning as I was substitute teaching. The kids just make me laugh, and it forces me to get up and moving fast in the morning. My hats off to all of you who work! It really takes effort to be organized wrt your food and exercise. It is also cold here (finally!) so I didn't feel like going out for a walk ... although I did walk the little dog. She stopped having seizures after 24 hours. That seems to be her mo these days....24 hours of seizures once a month or so.

I love reading about everyone's progress and commitment! After just a week I FEEL better, but so far don't see results on the scales, etc. Keep telling myself it's all about being healthier. The rest will come if I stay slow and steady.

:smile: Barbara! Welcome to this group. These ladies are the sweetest and will lift you up! Just start typing!

Have a great weekend everyone!:flowerforyou:
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Good evening!

Meg...oh, I think we can ALL relate to your chip eating experience or we wouldn't be here! I'm not sure anyone ever really knows why they do it...but you limited your binge and you told us about it! That's got to be a good thing, right? Today is a new day!

Busy outside day here for me, somI am behind inside! Gotta go clean up the kitchen!

Take care, DeR Ladies:drinker: Kackie
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    MEG - I got a laugh when you said how much would I walk if I ate pizza. Don't know but more than 2 miles! I also joined the Virtual Walk and am excited. It took a long time to get the pages to continue but I left it for a few minutes and when I returned it had completed the entry.
    What a happy day for me today. Played golf with my Friday girlfriends in 64 degree weather. We were all getting "cabin fever"
    I didn't take notes today so will just say to everyone I've enjoyed reading about your journey.
    Have a wonderful weekend.

SueBDew in TX
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am Barbara.I started my fitness pal January 8,2013

Barbara, if you're over 50 and want to hang out with a bunch of nice ladies, you're in the right spot. There is a lot of mutual support and several members who reached their goals and continue to visit here. Just read and post when you can. We all talk and give each other lots of vitamin F- the support of Friends.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Did you know that January 8 is the King's birthday? Good start date; you'll be able to remember your anniversary here.:bigsmile:

Katla from NW Oregon
  • SallyCC
    SallyCC Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

Having a busy couple of days but I am staying focused and that is a good thing. Fridays are usually errand days...it is the one consistent day off that my husband has and I try to schedule my jobs on other days so I have Friday off too. I began the day with a mammogram at 7:30 am and then we had the dentist....so the "errands" were fun but everything went well!

Time to get to bed...lots to do tomorrow,
    Have a good night,
    Sally
  • catcpe
    catcpe Posts: 4
    Options
    Gotta ask: what is 'bump'?
  • mouth5667
    Options
    Hope everyone has had a good week! I am rather proud of myself, I ate out twice and made good choices both times! I am ready for Renny's fruit and vegi challenge tomorrow too! I have some rather good incentive to keep this up, my first grandbaby is due any time now and when mom goes back to work (she has 10 weeks off) I will be "Granny Daycare". I currently work PRN (means as needed) as a pharmacy technician so this is going to be a big change for me. I finally told my boss what my plan was so it is now official.
    I read all the posts and get a great deal of encouragement from them though I haven't had a lot of time to post! Please know I am here and wishing you all the best!
    Lori H.
    Southwest Missouri
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Just posted the Fruit and Veggie Challenge for those who wish to participate. This is especially for those who are interested in increasing their daily consumption of fruits and vegetables. Personally I have been increasing my produce consumption and feel great. I notice a reduction in my belly weight. Weight loss is not necessarily the main goal however, although a nice side effect. It is about getting and being healthy! SundanceB provided me with a lovely word of wisdom the other day : "You are more than a number on a scale." Let's remember that!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/858607-fruit-veggie-1-day-challenge-saturday-jan-19-2013

ttyl
    Renny
    Vancouver Island, BC: likely the only place in Canada where my DH could play golf today! Lucky man:bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • elizcarman
    Options
    Hi Ladies! I am very happy it is Friday. My decision to take my first "land" zumba class was thwarted by the continued ache in my quads from the Wednesday training/torture session. I did go to aqua zumba and then spent some time in the hot tub at the Y last night. Heading back to the Y tomorrow.

Meg - I understand about the chips. I had a Milk Duds moment the other night!

BJ - Congrats on 100!

Liz - Good for you on the circuit training. I was so nervous the first time I ever did a spin class, but once you make the first step...

Wizzy - I hope you feel better soon.

Katla - Congrats on the 1/2 lb!!

M - 2 lbs - WTG!!!

LucyT - You are so brave and I'll bet it's a relief to have that meeting over!

Alicia - Great start!

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.

Liz from CT :drinker:
  • cjvvus
    cjvvus Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hello every just found this thread. I'm from the midwest and 55 y/o and started MFP last August. Really focused now planning a curise to the Bahamas in March and want to buy a new smaller swim suit even if is just one size smaller than the one I have.:smile:
  • ShrimpMe
    ShrimpMe Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Good evening ladies! Hope it was a beautiful Friday for all. Read thru the posts and thinking of everyone. We're on this weekend to celebrate my uncle's 60th. Planning on eating right and no adult beverages that might throw me off track. Thinking a few LaCroix instead. Big plus is all the dancing we'll do :happy: Fruit and veggie challenge sounds good. I expect I could benefit from a veggie juice detox. Probably not gonna happen this weekend. Maybe Monday?!?! See ya then!

Make it a great day!
    Shrimp (Becky)
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Joke of the day:

Everybody should pay their taxes with a smile, said Bob. “I tried it, but they wanted cash.”

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: anyone smiling yet?
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,380 Member
    Options
    Meg - my heart breaks for you. What does she study in college? If she can't go back to Russia, you KNOW that she's going to be a b**** Our yoga class was originally scheduled for 9-10 but for one reason because of the constant opening and closing of the door, we moved our class back to 8:45 to 9:45. But they still open and close the door. At least zumba doesn't need any equipment!

bj - sending you a virtual cupcake with candle on it (hey, a virtual one has no calories). Congrats congrats congrats on the 100 day mark. WTG on hitting that weight loss goal. Onward and upward! So sorry about your friend

Did an hour of stepping on the AMT machine at the Y today. I started out usinhg the elliptical, but I could feel where it slightly was hurting my achilles, so I went onto the AMT. Actually, when I first got to the Y both machines were in use but after 5 minutes one guy left so I used that machine. Tomorrow they're having some sort of open house at the Y which means the class time is going to be cut down so I'll just do a yoga DVD at home.

Bryan called today. Seems that we'll be flying to Spain in June. From what Vince tells me, her father is dead and she really wants her grandfather to walk her down the aisle. He's evidentally in poor health so that's why they're pushing for June. I'm happy that he's happy, but I'm also sad that I don't know her. I don't even know if she has any brothers or sisters.

Denise called. She sounds quite sick. Last time she was sick she wound up in the hospital with pneumonia. She works at a daycare, and I'm surprised that being so sick they are still having her come in today. I realize that there are ratios of children to adults that they need to meet, but what about the health of the children and the workers? I was also surprised that they allowed her to start work even before all of her background checks had come in. I know that she's not a child molester or anything, but if it were my child, I would want to be sure that each and every worker was checked out before they came in contact with my child.

After the Y went and played mahjongg (maj'd twice!) then did a little food shopping and stopped at Dunkin Donuts to get Vince two donuts. When I got home I checked my email and this one gal asked me to come to her house to play this game on Monday, so I need to make something to take. I'm thinking of these wontons that are boiled so tomorrow I'll probably run to WalMart to get the ingredients.

katla - great job being down 1/2 a pound

mndtowka - there ARE Les Mills on utube -- the entire hour? I remember seeing just a few minutes but not the entire thing. Is it the entire thing?

Nancy - you are such an inspriation. Great job keeping away from those brownies, etc.

M - congrats on the great loss

Lucy in DE - that's wonderful that your bosses listened.

Cheryl - impressive chart. You have lots to be proud of. Wish I could say the same! That's wonderful that you were able to refinance

robin - that cloak works wonders! Can I borrow it sometime?

tammytylerjon - it doesn't seem right that your dog should have seizures once/month. I would think that eventually it would affect her brain. Isn't there some sort of anti-seizure med she can take? We give phenobarbitol to our cat twice/day.

Glenda - congrats on just having the fruit!

Meg - I can't see how someone can gain 5 lbs in one week unless they aren't watching their portions and what they're eating, and I know she is. Who knows? It might even be a snaffu with the scale. That's been known to happen.

wisconsinboog - welcome. And welcome to everyone else new that I may have missed.

sally - good girl getting your mammo!

Meg - I had a chocolate cookie night tonight. I think we all go thru times like this. I attribute this to stress finding out that I won't get to meet the girl who makes my son so happy until they wed. My incentive after this will be so that I'm in svelte shape for Spain!

Renny - thanks for the smile

Have a great evening everyone.

Michele in NC
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Jane Hadji and M...Happy birthday:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: !!! Hope you are having a grand time!!!!

Cheryl:smile: Looks like you`re doing great!!! Be proud of your success!!!

Liz from CT:smile: The hot tub sounds devine! Hope your quads are feeling better!

Meg:smile: Hope DD#1 will have a change of heart:sad: ! Sometimes food calls my name too, there are times I ignor it:bigsmile: and other times...not so much:angry: . I find that I want to eat at night not because I`m hungry, but because I`m tired, and I`m trying to stay awake...I`m learning to just go to bed!

Renny:smile: Thanks for the laugh:laugh: ! That`s one of my goals..find sometihing to laugh about everyday!

Michele:smile: Spain in June...sounds lovely! Hopefully she is the perfect one for Bryan! I`m sure you will be the stunning mother of the groom! Hope Denise gets to feeling better:flowerforyou: , she probably picks up all kinds of germs from the little ones.

Lucy:smile: Lucky you, have a wonderful vacation! Glad the bosses listened to you!

Becky:smile: Happy 60th to your uncle:flowerforyou: ! Hope you have a great time!

Welcome to the newbies:flowerforyou: , jump right in and start chatting!

I tried jogging some yesterday...whew...walk, jog, walk, jog, walk, walk, walk, jog., my legs were telling me last night they were not very happy with me:grumble: , but I was very pleased I could do at least a bit! I have an appt. with my Dr. on Tues, just to get a check and make sure I`m fit to do the 5K, plus I want to talk with her about "being stuck" for the past 2 1/2 months gaining and losing the same 3-4 pounds:angry: , see if she has any advice for me!

Well, it`s that time again....have a wonderful Saturday ladies! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in NC