High Heels & Fishnets!!!!!

Options

Replies

• shredder
    shredder Posts: 404
    Options
    yes i did my stretches too. as in chris challenge i drink alot of water but, i guess i'm going to have to keep track, i drink alot of pint waters.

I knew you would!!!!
    As i posted on the other board this morning regarding dancers and the importance of stretching, I really did witness that firsthand over the weekend. My girls and I attended a 3 day dance convention and I tell you, these gals were not only lithe, toned and graceful but so incredibly powerful and had energy to spare. I watched all 3 day warm ups for them and they didn't step foot into a routine without a minimum 30 minute warm up/ stretch routine. Out of the question.
    It made me think about my body and why I run into the gym, hop on the nearest treadmill and run as if a herd of buffulo are chasing me.
    Where's my warm up time?
    MMMmmmm, need to think seriously about that and incorporate it into my routine. Every day.
    Stay strong everyone.
    S
  • start_on_monday
    Options
    Kris challenges you to drink half of your weight each day in water (oz)
    So if you weigh in at 200lbs, you would need to drink 100oz or 12.50 cups of water.

My first challenge and I think this will be a hard one, as I struggle to drink 8 glasses never mind 12....lol - But that's why its called a challenge

P.S...can anyone explain how I don't type within the quote section?
  • start_on_monday
    Options
    Just in case anyone else is using UK measures

1 UK Cup = 250ml

(Most bottled water is bought in 500ml bottles)
  • cris20056
    cris20056 Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Hi girls!

I am so so so sorry that I was unable to post the challenge, thank you Heather and Shredder for trying to get a hold of me. I have a really bad sinus infection and I seriosuly have not been this sick in soo long. I have been living in my bed for the past few days and this is the first day I've left it for more than 30 mins. I hope to be back to work (and the gym) tomorrow!! We will see!

So I see shredder posted my challenge (thank you!!) here are some reasons as to why drinking water is beneficial in weight loss (I live by this...and trust me if you do the challenge you WILL see a difference in your loss this week):

"The potion for losing that excess body fat is all around you. It covers two thirds of the planet. If you eat right and exercise at the intensity, frequency and duration proper for you, but still can’t get rid of a little paunch here and there, you’re probably just not drinking enough water.

“What on Earth is 'metabolism', anyway?” People use the term all the time, but ask them what it means and you’ll get all kinds of answers. Merriam Webster defines it as, “The process by which a substance is handled in the body.” A little vague, but that’s really all it means.

There are many forms of metabolism going on in your body right now, but the one everyone is talking about it the metabolism of fat. This is actually something that the liver does when it converts stored fat to energy. The liver has other functions, but this is one of its main jobs.

Unfortunately, another of the liver’s duties is to pick up the slack for the kidneys, which need plenty of water to work properly. If the kidneys are water-deprived, the liver has to do their work along with its own, lowering its total productivity. It then can’t metabolize fat as quickly or efficiently as it could when the kidneys were pulling their own weight. If you allow this to happen, not only are you being unfair to your liver, but you’re also setting yourself up to store fat.

The problem is that, though many decide to increase their water intake, very few stick with it. It’s understandable. During the first few days of drinking more water than your body is accustomed to, you’re running to the bathroom constantly. This can be very discouraging, and it can certainly interfere with an otherwise normal day at work. It seems that the water is coming out just as fast as it’s going in, and many people decide that their new hydration habit is fruitless.

Do take heed , though. What is really happening is that your body is flushing itself of the water it has been storing throughout all those years of “survival mode”. It takes a while, but this is a beautiful thing happening to you. As you continue to give your body all the water it could ask for, it gets rid of what it doesn’t need. It gets rid of the water it was holding onto in your ankles and your hips and thighs, maybe even around your belly. You are excreting much more than you realize. Your body figures it doesn’t need to save these stores anymore; it’s trusting that the water will keep coming, and if it does, eventually, the flushing (of both the body and the potty) will cease, allowing the human to return to a normal life. It’s true. This is called the “breakthrough point.”

One recent finding, as irresponsible as it may be, that caffeine increases the body’s fat-burning potential has many people loading up on coffee before going to the gym. This finding may hold some degree of truth in it, but caffeine is, in essence, a diuretic, and diuretics dehydrate. Caffeine may increase the heart rate, causing a few more calories to be burned, but this is at the expense of the muscles, which need water to function properly. This isn’t doing your heart any favors, either. It’s already working hard enough during your workout. Never mix caffeine and exercise. In fact, your best bet is to stay away from caffeine all together. It’s a big bully that pushes your friend water out of your system.

Water is the best beauty treatment. You’ve heard this since high school, and it’s true. Water will do wonders for your looks! It flushes out impurities in your skin, leaving you with a clear, glowing complexion. It also makes your skin look younger. Skin that is becoming saggy, either due to aging or weight loss, plumps up very nicely when the skin cells are hydrated.

In addition, it improves muscle tone. You can lift weights until you’re blue in the face, but if your muscles are suffering from a drought, you won’t notice a pleasant difference in your appearance. Muscles that have all the water they need contract more easily, making your workout more effective, and you’ll look much nicer than if you had flabby muscles under sagging skin.

“Eight glasses a day? Are you kidding?!” It’s really not that much. Eight 8-ounce glasses amount to about two quarts of water. This is okay for the average person, but if you’re overweight, you should drink another eight ounces for every 25 pounds of excess weight you carry. You should also up this if you live in a hot climate or exercise very intensely.

This water consumption should be spread out throughout the day. It’s not healthy at all to drink too much water at one time. Try to pick three or four times a day when you can have a big glass of water, and then sip in between. Don’t let yourself get thirsty. If you feel thirsty, you’re already becoming dehydrated. Drink when you’re not thirsty yet.

Do you think water is yucky? Drinking other fluids will certainly help hydrate your body, but the extra calories, sugar, additives and whatever else aren’t what you need. Try a slice of lemon or lime in the glass, or if you really think you hate water, try a flavored water. Just make sure you read the labels. Remember that you’re going to be consuming a lot of this fluid.

It’s probably a good idea to stop drinking water a good three hours before you go to bed. You know why.

“How cold should it be?” This is debatable. Most experts lean toward cold water, because the stomach absorbs it more quickly. There is also some evidence that cold water might enhance fat burning.

On the other hand, warmer water is easier to drink in large quantities, and you might drink more of it without even realizing it. Do whatever suits you, here. Just drink it!

When you drink all the water you need, you will very quickly notice a decrease in your appetite, possibly even on the first day! If you're serious about becoming leaner and healthier, drinking water is an absolute must. If you're doing everything else right and still not seeing results, this might just be what's missing."

I hope you all give this challenge a try!!!

Cris
  • cris20056
    Options
    Ok that post is really long but READ IT! ITS IMPORTANT!
  • shredder
    shredder Posts: 404
    Options
    Cris- how are you feeling today? We all hope you are on the road to a strong recovery....take it easy child!
    What an amazingly informative post on the benefits of drinking water. I was particularly interested in the paragraph about how the body tends to hold on to water if we are not drinking enough and the process (drinking and peeing, repeat, repeat) necessary to hydrate to efficiently allow the body to release the stored water. So many parallels with how the our bodies also store fat if we are not eating and metabolising correctly.

I actually had an "AHA" moment while reading this, the proverbial lightbulb went on:happy:
    So, I'm off to get all my water bottles filled and lined up for the day.
    I'll let you know how I'm doing with this later.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    Thanks Cris! I needed a reminder on the importance of water.
    I have been struggling to get to 4 cups, today I and the rest of the week will be 8 cups!
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    anyone have any tips on eating breakfast? here is my problem....in the morning when i wake up I'm not hungry (usually around 6:30 - 7am) so i have some cereal or yogurt or toast something small but as soon as I get to work around 8:30 I'm STARVING!

any ideas?
  • Ju5t4u_84
    Ju5t4u_84 Posts: 28
    Options
    Hello Ladies!
    Glad to see everyone is doing so well!

As for me, I had a tough week last week and an even tougher weekend. I went out of town this weekend for a family get-together (my grandma turned 90!!!!) and there were lots of yummy temptations, like grandma's fudge!
    But I'm back on the wagon today and my husband has even shown some interest in joining me on the weightloss program. I need some advice. He's a HUGE snacker! and usually always on bad stuff like Doritos and Cheetos and stuff. Does anyone know of some good healthy snack that would be appealing to men? I know the usuals like veggies and fruits, but sometimes it's hard to get him to "snack" on that type of stuff. Any help appreciated!

Good luck this week girls!

oh, and I fee like I just recovered from my initial test for the 200situp challenge, so I'm going to start the actual challenge this week. :)

I thought I would post some snacks my husband and I like to have.

When we first started, we tried out a lot of different things, one was something called CheeCha Puffs, I'm not sure if they're available in the states because I'm pretty sure they are made here in Calgary, but they come in a variety of flavors and because they are very airy they are better than most chips. We don't eat them much at all anymore but they are a good thing to tame the crispy chip craving.

Triscuits! Of course fruit and veggies are better for you, but I know I like the crunchy crispiness of crackers and chips. They have thin crisps that are pretty tasty and I know I like them best because you get more (but not really) for the same amount of calories as the normal ones.

My husband likes laughing cow cheese, he usually has one with his lunch

My new fav is celery with a little bit of peanut butter. Celery is sometimes referred to as a 'free' calorie food because it has so little calories, so you can have tons of it (still count it though... ) And peanut butter is considered a good fat and has a lot of protein.

We also like cheese strings as well! I'm not a huge fan of cheese, but these are tasty.

And then of course fruit and fruit and veggies galore.

And how could I have almost forgot... Graham crackers are by far my weakness... I usually pair this with a yogurt cup and a fruit of some sort.

Hope this helps!
  • Ju5t4u_84
    Ju5t4u_84 Posts: 28
    Options
    anyone have any tips on eating breakfast? here is my problem....in the morning when i wake up I'm not hungry (usually around 6:30 - 7am) so i have some cereal or yogurt or toast something small but as soon as I get to work around 8:30 I'm STARVING!

any ideas?

I usually have oatmeal with some raspberries and a sliced up apple, but I'm with you on having it too early. I didn't eat breakfast at all before I started trying to get into good habits. I leave for work around 7:30, but I make my breakfast just before I go, then eat it on the way, so that I'm actually eating it around 8. I then get a break around 10ish for my morning snack... sometimes I get extra hungry before then, but if I just can't wait, I nibble on one of my beloved graham crackers that is a part of my morning snack a little early.
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    Thanks hajohnson24!!! I think I'll go to the bookstore this weekend and check out this Men's Health Magazine Belly Off Diet book!

All of the info is also available online for free!
  • HeatherMN
    Options
    Cris: So glad you're feeling at least a little bit better today. We missed you, but I knew you'd be back! Thanks for the info on water and the challenge. I always struggle to drink enough water anyway, so this is an extra hard challenge for me but I'm going to attempt it!

Shredder: I got your challenge completed last night, even though the cardio wasn't intense. The boyfriend and I went for a long walk and then stretching afterwards. Then, we worked on some arm stuff. I'm attempting negative pushups, where you start in the "up" pushup position and lower as slowly as possible. Well, I'm not good at it so I call them my flop-downs. Ultimately, the goal is to be able to do pull-ups AND pushups. We did some work on the monkey bars at the playground the other day, too.

For those of you who have kids (or just fun, goofy boyfriends or husbands), I can't tell you how great the playground is for an entire body workout! We run around, climb on stuff and do the monkey bars (or try in my case). It's fun and it barely feels like you're doing any work...yet, it sure burns the calories!
  • Cchange
    Cchange Posts: 18
    Options
    Cris, I love the information about water you gave us. It was very enlightening. I've given up soda and don't usually drink anything but water... however, I've noticed I don't drink enough water. This is a great challenge!

A little more information on water: In the book "You On a Diet" they say, "Don't confuse thirst with hunger. The reason some people eat is because their satiety centers are begging for attention. But sometimes, those appetite centers want things to quench thirst, not to fill the stomach." "You-reka! When you feel hungry, drink a glass or two of water first, to see if that's really what your body wants." I just though I would give everyone another good reason to complete Cris' challenge for the week.

Good Luck!

Oh, the dizziness is getting much better! I've completed my 30 min cardio today! It's exciting to get back on the right path!! I'm still working on those crunches... 200 here I come... slowly, but here I come!
  • ncole1
    ncole1 Posts: 21
    Options
    Thanks Cris the water info was interesting! And im def trying to stick with ur challenge this week, especially because i did rubbish at the sit-up challenge last week! :ohwell:

Im using UK measures.
    Im 180lbs
    Iv got a 750ml water bottle that i fill up.
    So how many of these would i need a day to reach this challenges target?

Any help would be great :smile:
  • cris20056
    Options
    ncole- you would need to drink 3.5 of your 750ml bottle to complete the challenge

shredder- thanks I am feeling much better, but still slightly dizzy and weak.

heather- thanks for knowing I'd come back!

I am making sure that this change in lifestlye is something that I can do for the rest of my life, and frankly Im not a huge fan of fruits and veggies although I do try to fit it in every once in awhile. With my busy lifestyle convenience for me is KEY. For Breakfast I usually have one of those bageful from kraft. Its basically a bagel with cream cheese stuffed in it. I pop it in the toaster and I can eat it on the run. Its 200 cals. Im usually hungry before lunch rolls around so I eat a Special K cereal bar (90 cals) and it holds me over until lunch. I also drink A LOT of water to trick my body into thinking its full. Sometimes I treat myself to a jimmy dean d-lights egg muffin with canadian bacon (230 cals I believe)...it keeps me away from the McD's breakfast sandwich I love ooo so much! On the weekends I have more time in the morning so I usually have eggs and toast which puts me at 210 cals but Im full for a long time!

Hope that helps!

Cris
  • porterbaby38
    porterbaby38 Posts: 1,401
    Options
    chris: i'm glad you are feeling alittle bit better. i know what's it like having sinus infection, my bf. and me we get them quiet abit. but when i get them i also get acute brochitis. but i'm glad you're up and around. just take it easy though until you feel 100% better. i weight 167.2 lbs. how much water am i suppose to drink. i just drink lots of water i don't know if it's too much or not enough.

shredder: i did your stretches challenge this morning i just have to do the cardio yet.

200 situps completed this morning and man did my stomach burned.
  • TammieOwen
    Options
    This weeks challenge is great, I have been trying really hard to drink more water. I used to drink more pop then anything, but i have cut that almost totaly out. I still have the odd one or two.
    I am starting week 4 on the sit-up challenge, so I am well on my way to getting to 200.
    I didn't get the cadio done yesterday, Mondays are always crazy days for me, two of my girls have Girl guids and Brownie the same night in two different places, right around the same time.

Cris I hope you feel better soon.
    Tammie
  • cris20056
    Options
    porter- you should be getting about 84oz a day

Tammie and everyone else- thank you so much for the well wishes!
  • HeatherMN
    Options
    Help! I'm doing horrible on the water thing so far. I just don't feel thirsty very often, so I don't drink water (or anything for that matter) much throughout the day! The only time I drink a lot is when I'm eating, so maybe I"ll have to slug a bunch down with lunch today...
  • cris20056
    Options
    Heather- Not sure if this helps you or not but I have a 28oz bottle I carry with me all day long. I fill it up and try to drink most of it before I get to work. Refill at work and try to drink it all before lunch. After lunch I refill and try to drink it all before my snack. and so on. I basically tell myself that I cant have my next meal/snack until I finish the bottle so I chug chug chug. Its all about setting little goals about when you'd like to finish the bottle. I try to drink 4 bottles before leaving work to come home.

Good luck!