WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2013

Options

Replies

• ohiomomof2
    ohiomomof2 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hello, everyone!
    I've been logging food & exercise for a few weeks but just discovered this discussion thread. Hope you don't mind if I join you.

I am 54, married with two girls in college and live in Ohio. I am on a quest to lose the 40 pounds I've gained since quitting smoking 3 years ago. Told my doctor this week @ my physical it was like the trifecta - I hit 50, quit smoking and went thru "the change", all in about a year and you can tell it from the weight I packed on.

Anyway, I've read the last few pages and look forward to getting to know you all!
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday ladies. It was a beautiful day here; too bad I didn’t get outside and enjoy it. We deep cleaned about ¼ of our bedroom and it took 5 hours. Every drawer and all the jewelry boxes on that side. At least that was the most involved part! The rest will go much easier, but the day just flew by. We had a splurge today and had taco bell for lunch. WOW. Gulp.:sad: That’s a lot of calories. I knew the taco wasn’t that much and the burrito wasn’t too bad, but DH bought each of us a “big lunch box” and it had a third item…a nacho cheese/beef burrito. Now that had some calories!

Right now I have a pot of ham and navy bean soup simmering and it smells fabulous. DD#2 is making a spicy apple coffeecake to take to dad in the nursing home tomorrow. DD#1 is spending the evening with a friend and DH is out filling up all my birdfeeders because I am simply exhausted!:yawn: I can’t get over how tired I still get…it’s getting silly, but I had 2 small naps today too!

Wisconsin: welcome to our thread and come back often

Wessecg: I know how being tight with money is then you get a little breather and it seems like heaven!

Barbara; welcome to our group. Come back often and visit

Tammy: I’m so glad your little doggy stopped her seizures. :flowerforyou: Do the vets know why she has them?

Kackie: thanks for your encouraging words! Today was a new day and I did it in with taco bell. I’ll be hitting the elliptical tonight for sure!

Suebedew: I tried to sign up for the walk across America, but the registration process kept kicking me out and not finishing. I’ll try again. I LOVE golf but haven’t been in 2 years since my shoulders started hurting and my work golf league disbanded, but I’d like to get back out there. I got new clubs 2 years ago for Christmas and they have never been used.

Sally: hope your mammo results are good. Here’s is my one bragging point….it’s the dentist. I am 53 and have never had a cavity!:bigsmile:

Catcpe: someone has probably already answered but “bump “ just marks your spot on the thread so it will show up under your recent posts. Darling kitty. :love: I had one that looked just like her.

Lori: where in Missouri do you live?

Renny: you’re right to add more fiber to your diet. We should get 25-30 grams a day and the average American only gets 10-ish. I’ll have to plan ahead for the fruit and veggie challenge next weekend. OK I’m smiling now.:happy: Thanks for the joke!
    LizCT: where in CT do you live? I spent 2 years in New London.

Cjv: welcome to our group. Come back often to see us

Becky: I love dancing! Have a great time at the celebration!

Michele: DD#1 is studying “general studies” at a community college, but so far she has only been able to take remedial courses, mostly ESL (Engish as a second language) because she tested so low on their entrance exam for ESL students. I misread what you wrote and thought you said you spent an hour stepping on the ATM machine and I was wondering what you were going to do with all that money!!!:laugh:

DeeDee: hope all goes well at the dr office; let us know! :flowerforyou: I’m so excited about your 5K!

Linda: my MIL always said “If I wanted to find dust in somebody’s house, I’d stay home”! I agree; your friends are there to see you, not the house

Jb: I loved your quotations! In fact, it’s always the last key you try that opens the lock!

Katla: your story reminds me of when DH made a pot roast (I have a fabulous recipe) for my brother and sil. He doubled it, and
    needless to say, after an entire day, everything was raw. He even tried taking the veggies out and boiling them in a different pot. We ended up having pizza!:tongue:

Tigress: sending you virtual chicken soup with extra vitamin C and F! Get well soon!:flowerforyou:

Robin: woo hoo on meeting your goals!

M:have a delightful birthday. :flowerforyou: You deserve a little cake. Do you like tofu? That has lots of protein.

Owl: there is always room for one more here! We need all the vitamin F we can get (friends)

Joy: welcome and I must say I think your bet is fabulous! When you win, you will have to post pictures of DS holding some of your undies!

DebPenny; welcome to you too! My inlaws live in Wadsworth Ohio, just south of Cleveland.

Jane: Famous Dave’s is popular around here, there must be 5 locations in Omaha. I am not a huge fan although it’s ok, but I have also looked at their nutrition information and it’s all pretty high,

Glenda; I’m with you; you have to be cautious in how you react to some of these things. DD#2 is always trying to rile me up, so I am very circumspect with how I respond to her too.

Sara: welcome to the thread! Congratulations on all that weight loss…very impressive.

Well I guess I better go play with the soup to make sure it’s ready. Then it’s book work time. I had been planning to do my Christmas cards to day, but that won’t happen….don’t laugh. They are always late as are our taxes..usually done in the fall LOL Take care, meg:drinker:
  • SallyCC
    SallyCC Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Robin….Great job with your exercise. Sending good thoughts your way about the job interview!
    Lori…. I read your post about the crock pot and I can relate. I had to get a new crock pot!!
    M….. I can’t believe what a difference having protein makes in keeping me even. Hope you enjoy your protein shakes!!
    Owl and Deb…Welcome—this is a great place!!
    Joy….. I can’t wait to hear about that contest!! Great job with your loss!!
    Jane…Hope everything worked out well today. A turkey burger that is 1000 calories—is it on a “doughnut bun”? !!!
    Sara…Welcome..my friend just got a Vitamix and loves it!

Hope everything is going well. I got my time in on the Eliptical today and I went grocery shopping… came home and crashed!! See you tomorrow.
    Sally
  • djhobs
    djhobs Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Good morning, all. We just got back last night from Parris Island, watching our youngest graduate from Marine Boot Camp. We did the whole family thing. The place we stayed was on base and it didn't have a phone or internet due to construction.

I've come down with a terrible cold and feel like doo doo .

I tried to eat good, but I couldn't log, so we will see in a couple of days when I can look down again. Time to go back to bed.

Tigress ian GA with some very pale stripes
    congratulations to you and thank you to your son!:flowerforyou: My ds is also a marine...it will be 2 years next month. He is currently stationed at camp pendleton.:bigsmile: It is as much an experience for the family as it is for the Marine...at least that is how we see it
    :heart:
    Jen
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Yardtigress - congratulations to your son! Our oldest also went to boot camp at Parris Island. He served 6 years. I got tickled the other day because he, who never puts stickers on anything, has a very discreet USMC decal on one of the windows of his new-to-him car. When I noted it, he just grinned. It definitely changes them and, in part, is what made him so mentally strong and disciplined during his recovery after his brain injury. There was not a moment of giving up in him throughout that time. Initially we encouraged him to see his goal of recovery by reminding him that if he could get through boot camp he could recover from the injury.

Had a great day with my DF, Sue. She had been wanting to make these decorative garden stakes where you glue random/various glass pieces into 'flowers', then they are attached to a rod and you stick them in the dirt. Whimsical yard art, I guess. Anyway, that is what we did. Had a good time, yet both agreed the activity could go into the "been there, done that" category. It will be fun to put them out in the spring.

Tomorrow DH and I will go to buy the guestroom bed and are having a discussion of king or queen size. There was a queen in there before, but the ones who most come to visit have kings at home. It is the most comfy. There isn't room, even with a queen, for any other furniture/seating anyway. In either case we can have a night stand on each side. The closet is fitted with hanging space and shelving so there are places for guests to take things out of their suitcases. The times that we visit others and they have queen size, it does feel more cramped since we are accustomed to the king. Don't know... will have to see what we find.

It was beautiful here today - upper 50s and sunny. If it is like that tomorrow I think I'll do some hosta cleanup in the little alleyway garden. They've been killed to the ground and now it is just a mess. Won't take long though to clean up.

Laundry is in and other chores await. Have a great night!

Gail, metro Atlanta
  • djhobs
    djhobs Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday..I have been lurking all week...not enough energy to post (sigh)...the New office is coming along but soooo much to learn and typical tasks still take much longer than normal...but making progress and the days fly by but am completely out of steam when I get home. I thought I was going to have to borrow Robin's rainbow cloak...but very perceptive manager picked up on a problem...we had a meeting to "put all the cards on the table" and crisis averted, air is cleared but once again have probably thrown the old boss under the bus....not doing it on purpose but he is not my boss anymore and have to work with the new management .....HIS choice to sell his business...not mine....sorry rant over!

Had intentions to bike this am but actually went back to bed until 10am...trying to listen to the body. Made a nice French onion soup for dinner. Melted 1 slice of baby Swiss on top and skipped the croutons. Had a nice salad and homemade oatmeal bread with it...delicious!

I have not done a good job of logging the last few days, :blushing: will try to do Renny's veggie challenge tomorrow...that seems to re-focus me

Welcome to all our new friends...there is always room for more:flowerforyou:

Meg - good luck with both dd...you are a very patient Mama!:flowerforyou:

JB - thanks for the quotes...always good to hear /read!:flowerforyou:

Make it a great evening! Hugs and high fives...and positive thoughts, Robin!
    :heart:
    Jen
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

Today has been a good day. Hang out at the Y . Busy catching up on posts will be back in a few. Need to go pickup DD.
    Liz
  • Lynn0713
    Options
    Hello all,
    Have done well so far this weekend I did spin this morning and have stayed in my calorie range. Does everyone eat their exercise calories or not ? I find that a little confusing, I also seem to eat to much protein even though I don't fell that I eat that much meat. I di have protein shakes most days . If you have any insights would love to hear them.
    Good night,
    Lynn
  • LindaS175
    LindaS175 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,:flowerforyou:

Hope to reach the big" 50" lost this next week! :drinker: :drinker: Starting back to work on Monday! :drinker: :drinker:

Life is good! :bigsmile:

Hope everyone is doing well and taking good care of themselves:flowerforyou:

Maybe tomorrow I will get a chance to read all the posts!

Be nutritious,exercise and log! :smile: Success is your choice! :bigsmile:

Hugs, Linda S AKA Sundanceb:heart:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,968 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Today was supposed to be a rest day. I went to bed before 8 PM and last night and didn’t get up until almost 5:30 this morning…..but it was a beautiful morning and the dogs were having fun so our walk lasted a lot longer than usual……then Jake wasn’t feeling well so he went back to bed so I had a golden opportunity to ride the recumbent bike wearing the headphones and watch a movie I’d recorded…then it was time for more dog walking and the dogs love to walk so we walked for a long time followed by more movie watching and recumbent bike riding……then I remembered that there were some new line dances I wanted to practice so I danced until the dogs wanted to go out again….then Jake was awake and wanted to watch TV with me so I got back on the bike, then the dogs wanted to go out again. Now I’m finally sitting and the dogs won’t need to go out again until just before bedtime when it will be dark so the walk will be very short…..maybe tomorrow can be my rest day…..LOL

:flowerforyou: DeeDee, your plan to train for a 5K is awesome…..i may walk a lot, but running is beyond me……good luck

:flowerforyou: Glenda, a lot of my motivation comes from a desire to be healthy, feel healthy, and live a long healthy life so when yummy treats come along I think about nourishing my body rather than indulging myself…..the longer I stay away from sugar, white flour, and processed foods of any sort, the less tempting they are.

:flowerforyou: Meg, about those chips……if it’s in the house, it’s in the mouth…..i can’t buy anything like that

:bigsmile: Wisconsinboog, snowshoes…..what a great idea

:bigsmile: Jb, thanks for the great quotes

:flowerforyou: Robin, I’m thinking positive thoughts for you and the possible new position…you’ve done such a great job this week in all areas of your life

:flowerforyou: Lynn, when I was losing weight I ate most of my exercise calories or I would have keeled over for lack of energy……..an active body needs fuel…….I have always been careful to keep all my calories nutrition dense and stay away from non-nutritious foods and beverages.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington

My word for 2013 is “Stretch” inspired by “The Happiness Project”….I will seek opportunities to stretch my body and stretch myself personally by improving skills and trying new things.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,375 Member
    Options
    DeeDee - doing the jog/walk like you did burns a lot of calories.

Did an hour DVD of yoga this morning then went to WalMart to get a few things. Need to make something to take with me Monday to that game. Tomorrow I'll do some pilates.

My achilles is getting better -- but it's still not totally right. I can feel it pulling some when I walk. But it's not pulling nearly as much as it had been.

jb - thanks for the quotes. Very thought provoking

tigress - hope you feel better fast

Robin - boy is that cloak wonderful! Good luck on the interview.

M - Happy birthday to your hubby. I'm trying to up my protein intake, too. I'm not crazy about doing it thru suppliments, tho, but it seems that you need some sort of supplimentation.

Owl - welcome. Tell us more about yourself.

Joy - great competition you and your son are in!

Deb - I really don't know where Rockhill, NC is, but I'm in Newton (near Hickory, about an hour north of Charlotte)

sueBDew - no, I've never been to Spain.

Jane - I never knew that about recovering posts! Thanks for telling me. Say, is there some way that I can change the MFP posts so that the latest are on top and not at the end? I doubt it, truthfully.

ohiomomof2 - welcome! Congrats on quitting smoking, that's truly awesome

Meg - I'm sure you burned off a lot of those calories from the burrito doing all that cleaning. You've NEVER had a cavity??? That's something. My children have never had a cavity, but the dentist feels that its because when they were little and their teeth were forming, I gave them fluoride tablets so the fluoride is IN their teeth, not just on the surface. But you? That's wonderful! Maybe you had fluoride tablets????

Gail - your king vs queen dilemma reminded me of when MIL and FIL bought a king size mattress but put it on the frame for a double bed. They liked a king size bed. Personally, it was so cramped in that room that you could hardly get by. But they liked the king size

Jen - I agree, Meg IS so very patient and has such a big heart to go with it all

Here's hoping everyone has a great evening.

Michele in NC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    MegBlair1- 53 and no cavities? You are a wonder! I had fillings galore by the time I was seven. Every time I went to have a filling my dentist shot me up with novacaine to the extent that my jaw was swollen and he never, ever deadened a nerve. I had the guilt of not brushing loaded onto me by him and both my parents, too. I did brush, every night and every morning. Then my dentist in college told me that I'd never had a chance. I must have had a fever when the enamel was forming on my molars, and it didn't fill in as it should. I never had a chance and it was never my fault. I loved that guy.:flowerforyou:

LoriH- Thanks for the comment about blood sugar. It makes so much sense! And it gives me a strategy for next time.:bigsmile:

Welcome to all the newbies. This is a great group.

Katla
    sick of the freezing fog in NW Oregon
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Not much time today. Went to my first 10k training clinic this morning. Tons of people, mostly runners, with a small group of us as walkers. I was the slowpoke. But h*ck, who cares. As long as you're moving. Also did the fruit and veggie thing (of course I did, I organized it, silly :tongue: )

Rest of the day spent with DD and grandson. And had another walk in the afternoon. We enjoy these visits so much. Nothing else matters when they come to visit. :heart: :heart:

Hope to check back in tomorrow.

Renny
    (Southern) Vancouver Island, BC- where it was a gorgeous day today.
  • sunshine61250
    sunshine61250 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hello all,
    Have done well so far this weekend I did spin this morning and have stayed in my calorie range. Does everyone eat their exercise calories or not ? I find that a little confusing, I also seem to eat to much protein even though I don't fell that I eat that much meat. I di have protein shakes most days . If you have any insights would love to hear them.
    Good night,
    Lynn

I do not eat my calories. I want to lose weight as fast as possible (and as safely as possible) so I'm just sticking to my 1200 calories a day. Except yesterday ..... we went out and about and came across some gingerbread caramels. YUM! We were gone for 4 hours and during that time I ate 5 of them (hubby kept handing them to me). I came home and put it in the food track and :huh: 200 calories!!!!! Big sigh ..... so I had to cut down on my daily glass of red wine and use my exercise calories to not go over for the day.
  • sb1219
    sb1219 Posts: 6
    Options
    Lynn, I just started using MFP a few weeks ago. Most days I use all my calories. I do exercise and I find that when I exercise I also eat those calories too. I've only lost a couple of pounds. Maybe I should start keeping it at 1200 calories per day even when I have a couple of hundred calories added from exercising?
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Lori
    Are you a diabetic. I'm learning all about that right now.

Jane
    Make it a great Sunday

Robin
    Good luck with the job interview. That cloak of many colours is bringing you luck.
    Don't take it off.

M
    At least you picked up on the problem before you go bald.
    I see your a sports fan. So glad hubby isn't i'f never get to watch the big screen tv.

Owl
    Step in and join us

Joy
    wishing you luck in that bet. I can see your son in victoria secrets buying Mommy undies lol.

Jane
    Eating out is always tough. But a girl has to live.
    What's in that turkey burger or are you counting the whole meal for 1000 calories.

Glenda
    Your welcome to send some of that 10 degree weather here in the great white Northern Ontario.

Sue
    Wish someone computer savy would come over for coffee I could get them to teach me how to split the pages to be able to double task. I'm still taking notes and typing them in.

Sara
    Very nice loss.Welcome to the 50+ club we are very chatty.

Ohio Mom
    Welcome

Meg
    Instead of Christmas cards I got a pack of thinking of you cards that can be sent anytime of the year.
    Around Christmas always busy and never get them done.
    Like your MIL's saying so true.

Sally
    Great got exercise in on Sat. I did a little belly and other dancing with U tube didn't even track it not enough to bother
    About 10 min. tops. Hubby showed up he laughs at me.

Gail
    It's a guest room don't get it to comfortable. They will never leave.

Jen
    Glad your work problem was solved. Listen to the body it wanted rest not exercise.

Linda S
    Good luck and reaching your weight goal.

Barbie
    I haven't seen a rest day for you yet. And been here since about the 25 of Nov.
    Them dogs build them a fence way to much work.

Michele
    I have my yoga routine on wii set for 20 min. and that's enough stretching.
    Then do other for another 10 15 min.

Katla
    That goes to say never go with first diagnoses. A second opinion is always good.

Renny
    Lots of walking a 10 k then again in the afternoon.

Sunshine and SB 1219

Not good to go to low on calories you want a life time change. Something you can live with

Well up like they say with the chickens or I think I might of even beat them. Didn't hear the rooster crow yet. I was up at 5:30 Now 7:30 and all caught up. But I did go and weigh myself and got dressed.

Haven't stepped on wii yet but hoping he'll smile. Well got on wii and he did smile and reached my goal of 2 lbs since either thursday or Friday. So Happy with that

Linda C.
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Gotta keep this short this morning:frown: ! I did want to throw in my 2 cents on eating exercise calories back:grumble: .....since I have been struggling to break this plateau:sad: I have not eaten any of the exercise calories, worked for about a week, eaten some of my exercise caloreis back (for a month), didn`t help, now I`m eating to net at least 1200 calories a day which is most of my exercise calories....I`ve been doing this since Jan. 10th, I`ve lost something everyday except for 3 days, one gain was from too much sodium, one was from not netting 1200 (I think) and one day it was -0-, will this work in the long run...I don`t know. I think you have to try and find what is right for your body, if it`s working and you feel good stick with it, if not change it up, just make sure you give it time to work! It`s been irritating but I`m not giving up, one of these days the weight is going to start coming off again!

Well today is my day with the guys, I will put on my tiara and rule the round table at Starbucks:bigsmile: :laugh: ! Now I must go get the hair tiara worthy!

Have a great day ladies!!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • sunshine61250
    sunshine61250 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! It is COLD here in Norway today -5 so I started a pot of chili in the crockpot last night to have when we came home from church. I used V8 vegetable juice with High Fiber, chili beans, stewed tomatoes and ground bison. It was YUMMY! I hope you all are having a wonderful Sunday!

Yardtigress - I'm sorry you're not feeling good. :flowerforyou: But I bet you're proud of your son! Hope you feel better soon!

DLPenny - HI! I just joined too! We can do this!!!

janehadji - that is what I'm counting on! Both of us just keep giving up so we're hoping this will motivate us! :bigsmile:

glendalight - the sad thing is he hasn't even really tried yet and he's already lost 6 lbs. I'm busting my butt and have only lost 8. Hate to see what's going to happen when he realizes it is time to start trying! :frown:

edraper70 - my husband is retired AF and all 3 of my kids were military, all served in Iraq or Afghanistan and it is SO hard when it's your child. I bet you're glad he's in the US now. Hope he gets to stay for a while!

suebdew - Thanks! I will do my best to keep you updated. :happy:

KNAMsMum - Hi Sara! I loved juicing when we lived in the Netherlands but fruit and veggies are SOOOOOOO expensive here in Norway. :(

ohiomomof2 - I've gained 40 pounds since we got married 13 years ago and I am bound and determined to lose it! We can do it! Congratulations on quitting smoking. I've never smoked but one of my boys has been trying to quite a while and says it is REALLY hard.

megblair1 - I'll try to get pictures! I'm not sure he'll go for it though. Maybe I can sneak into his room when he's sleeping and drape it on his head and take a picture that way. :devil: Your soups sounds yummy! Do you share recipes?

SallyCC - thank you!

djhobs - we've been to Camp Pendleton! And with 3 military kids I agree! It's a family experience all right. In this day and age when the world seems so screwed up and everyone thinking about me, me, me, I'm just so proud of the kids that join.And I want to say I love the hot air balloon in your photo. I've only been in one once and it's going to be one of those things I remember for the rest of my life. :heart:

gardengail - how is your son doing now? :brokenheart:

sundanceB - good luck! How long has it taken you to lose the 50 lbs?

exermom - thank you! :smile:

Katla49 - thank you for the welcome. :smile:

LinCharpentie - thank you! Every time I want to eat something that I know I just shouldn't, I keep picturing me standing outside the store dragging him in kicking and screaming. I get a huge smile and it helps a lot!
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday from still freezing, foggy Portland! I guess the good news is that it's not pouring down rain.

On the concept of eating back exercise calories -- I've read hundreds of posts from MFP members who have lost a considerable amount of weight by eating back SOME but not all of their calories. That's what I've done all along and have had darned good success with it for the better part of 2 years. Lately, though, it seems my body is saying "enough" and I've stopped losing altogether. I'm holding farily steady since summertime and have decided to let things rest a bit while I learn to embrace the new "me". I do fully intend to hit 70 pounds lost at some point! In the meantime, maybe my skin will regain some elasticity. :ohwell:

If I want the scale to go down, I don't eat as much. Plain and simple. But eating too little on a regular basis is not smart and can wreak havoc both mentally and physically. I hope none of you fall into that trap. Keep an eye on the types of foods you're eating, making sure to get a good balance of nutrients. Stay off the sugar (!) as much as possible for as many days in a row as you can. Fill up with plenty of water before meals. Then drink more of it. :drinker: I keep things like bread, pasta, rice & potatoes to a bare minimum since those are the things that put me in a size 22-24 to begin with. It's all about balance. A little of this, a little of that, and a whole lot of vegetables. :heart:

Focus on nutrition. Get your Omega-3s. Get your potassium (from food, not supplements) every day. These things help us keep a good mental outlook. Move the body, wave arms, walk more, what ever it takes to gently ease you into a new way of living. I know I'll never be an athlete, but I can certainly move more now than I could 66 pounds ago. :bigsmile:

Speaking of which, time to get out of this chair. Wishing you all a wonderful day!

:glasses: jb - who hopes the sun will shine today