i love my cheese

Options

Replies

• EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I've told my trainer for the last 6 months that cheese is the last thing I'll give up when I die... I'll probably croak with brie on my plate. Now - I have swapped some out with light cheeses, and they aren't so bad unless you try to melt them. LOL!
  • Jackiemckee
    Options
    My best advice is just stop eating it............... its very hard, I LOVE cheese and here's why :)

Your passion for cheese is more deeply rooted in your brain than you may realize.

Just as heroin, cocaine, and other recreational drugs such as nictoine and alcohol affect the pleasure center of the brain, your brain is stimulated by cheese. The pleasant fuzzy feeling you experience makes you go back for more.

Cheese contains primarily two proteins, whey and casein. When the casein is broken down by acids and bacteria in the gut, a variety of casomorpins are created. One of these casomorphins has about one-tenth of the pain-killing power of morphine, which makes it a socially acceptable drug.

Because eating cheese creates a pleasant relaxation time and time again, we consider ourselves "addicted" to cheese. We seek it our over other less-gratifying foods, such as broccoli or black beans. These foods, while far better nutrionally, are not addictive because they do not create euphoria in the mind.

http://www.examiner.com/article/do-you-have-a-cheese-addiction-how-heroin-cocaine-and-cheese-affect-your-brain
  • judiiiiindisguise
    judiiiiindisguise Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    whipped cream cheese swirled in with whatever you are eating...i just sauted cabbage and added a spoonfull...goes a long way, not too many calories...melts up nice.
  • roxierachael
    roxierachael Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Only buy the expensive cheeses. That way you'll always remember to savor/appreciate it.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I don't know if they are good for you, but they are only like 35 calroies. Skinny Cow wedges....I put them on crackers.
  • koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I too like my cheese. I tried reduced fat cheeses and found them unsatisfying (many of them were actually nasty - bland in flavour and waxy in texture). What has worked for me is to buy small amounts or really good cheese (artisanal, specialty shop stuff) with strong, robust flavours - and then eat it in small amounts. With my favourite extra aged strong gouda, about a quarter of an ounce nibbled provides me with a satisfying cheese "fix" without adding too many calories to the daily tally.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    cheese, beer, whatever. if you like something, make room for it. If you're cutting out something that you love now, unless you're certain you can give it up forever and ever... you'll come back to it later.
  • kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    My best advice is just stop eating it............... its very hard, I LOVE cheese and here's why :)

Your passion for cheese is more deeply rooted in your brain than you may realize.

Just as heroin, cocaine, and other recreational drugs such as nictoine and alcohol affect the pleasure center of the brain, your brain is stimulated by cheese. The pleasant fuzzy feeling you experience makes you go back for more.

Cheese contains primarily two proteins, whey and casein. When the casein is broken down by acids and bacteria in the gut, a variety of casomorpins are created. One of these casomorphins has about one-tenth of the pain-killing power of morphine, which makes it a socially acceptable drug.

Because eating cheese creates a pleasant relaxation time and time again, we consider ourselves "addicted" to cheese. We seek it our over other less-gratifying foods, such as broccoli or black beans. These foods, while far better nutrionally, are not addictive because they do not create euphoria in the mind.

http://www.examiner.com/article/do-you-have-a-cheese-addiction-how-heroin-cocaine-and-cheese-affect-your-brain

Sorry, but this "article" provides no supporting data nor references at all. Where did this info come from?
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    What's fattening about cheese in moderation?

the fact that its basically mostly fat.

What's wrong with that?

It's saturated fat.
    Didn't you get the memo? Saturated fat isn't the devil anymore, that's trans fat now.
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Only buy the expensive cheeses. That way you'll always remember to savor/appreciate it.

This. I had some really nice blue cheese tonight after dinner. I found these nutritional facts online.

1oz of Blue Cheese-
    100 calories
    8g fat
    5.3 saturated fat
    21mg cholesterol
    393 mg sodium
    6g protein
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options

This. I had some really nice blue cheese tonight after dinner. I found these nutritional facts online.

1oz of Blue Cheese-
    100 calories
    8g fat
    5.3 saturated fat
    21mg cholesterol
    393 mg sodium
    6g protein

Yep. I often have 1oz blue cheese with my glass of wine in the evening. Yum YUM!
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options

CHESSE IS A PAIN KILLER! This is awesome. You jst gave me another reason to eat more, dangitt. lol
  • CALABRESE3
    CALABRESE3 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Im a cheese fan too. Infact I could live on it! What I have done is bought both reduced fat and fat free cheese..Fat free cheese sucks IMHO but the reduced fat is Okay.. I mean its better than none.....so I only use reduced fat cheese and at least I get my cheese.....I think its just tricking your mind to think its getting the cheese:) Works for me....sure I would love regular cheese but I dont as cheese to me is like chocolate for someone else!
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    one trick I use is shredding my own with a small grater. It makes 1 ounce go so much further than a chunk or even pre-shredded. So much more flavor and spreading for the same calories. I also use 2% when I can, and sometimes laughing cow light wedges.
    Just portion and stay to an ounce!

These are the tricks I use, and as you can see from my ticker I've lost 35 pounds pounds (haven't added another 2 lost). I have one serving of cheese per day (30 Grams) if I eat cheese, and I eat it probably 4-5 times a week. I generally use a small grater too, works wonders. Just stay away from really processed things and go for the real thing. For example, skinny cow makes icecream and says it's better for you because of the reduced calories, however the ingredients show that the real icecream would probably have been healthier.

To the person saying cheese is all fat: Yes. Cheese is fat. But who said fat is bad for you? Fat keeps you full. Fat helps aid digestion by pairing with the other macros. You can't just cut out fat, or you're robbing your body of something it needs. And don't forget there's plenty of calcium, protein, and other healthy things you can't find anywhere but in cheese.

Enjoy your cheese, and love your life! MMM ! :)

Edit: I forgot to add that I buy part-skim marble cheese. Mozzarella contains a bit less fat than cheddar, but you still get that yummy cheddar-y taste without eating pure yellow cheese. People tend to say go for the white cheeses, but who can resist?! I just thought I'd tell you that because that really helps me out when a cheese craving hits. A lot of the reduced fat cheese (cheddar) that I used to purchase had a gross taste/texture. And don't even TRY soy cheese :P You jsut have to find one that works well for you. And by all means, buy full fat if you'd like :)
  • Katbody10
    Katbody10 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I LOVE cheese and will not give it up .. I will not go for reduced fat anything and I want the full wonderful taste no matter what the cheese..

I will NOT have the whole wheel or 1 lb of it at a time .. whether it's Brie, Feta, Dubliner, Swiss.. Mozzarella whatever ..

Work it into your macros.. it's possible!! You can treat yourself .. don't deprive yourself. :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I eat cheese almost every day. I just figure it into my daily calorie intake. I won't give up cheese. Like one other poster said, you'll have to pry it from my cold, dead hand.
  • KupCake0720
    Options
    I will not give up my cheese! Of course I now make sure I'm eating a low calorie low fat kind, which still tastes amazing to me.
  • gvheintz
    gvheintz Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I agree with the fine grating. Also, I prefer to purchase high quality cheese. Also, I find that you get a stronger flavour from "old" cheese so you need less of it to get the taste you long for. I also love my feta ... I find it a good number of calories for the flavour it adds.
  • marilyn6180
    Options
    Your body needs some fat in order to process calories. Just eat in moderation! But also my experience is that if you CRAVE something; you might be allergic to it. Just a thought.
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    It's saturated fat.

I've never seen a 70% saturated fat cheese, nor is cheese normally all saturated fat - cheddar is about 30-35% fat of which about two thirds is saturated and about a third is monounsaturated (like olive oil or avocados!).

Nor have I. Even saturated fat can be healthy for you in moderation, as long as you're not scarfing a million grams of saturated and trans fats down your throat you'll be good.