Why do people care about their local sports teams?

Options
123457»

Replies

• monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    because its a representative of your home town and ultimately represents you!! cmon man u must not have played a sport in your lifeee
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I used to do that... now im just BLAH about all damn sports, its just a waste of time and energy ...
    if they dont win, if they win, whats the big deal at the end?, I just think its boring.. I rather do some other stuff when the rest of the people are in lalaland watching a game.
    People getting all excited, fighting, and even killing each other.... over a damn team.
  • Raimi1990
    Options
    Personally, I don't care about sports AT ALL.

My reasoning:
    *I never was any good at them (I'm klutzy)
    *Sports stars get paid WAY too much
    *All of the bullies in my high school were either athletes or cheerleaders
    *People get way too worked up over them (from cussing at the TV to killing people)
    *Nobody I am friends with is a serious athlete

So, therefore, sports are not my thing... :<
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    Even if you do not know the players personally, they represent something that you can affiliate with, be it your hometown or, in my case, your school.

That counts for something.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    I live just north of Philly and hope the eagles NEVER see the SB much less the playoffs. HATE THEM! I'm from Ohio so of course I'm all Buckeyes and Browns!
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Why not cheer on the team for the area you live in or have some affiliation with? I'm a Cardinals fan because I've lived in Arizona most of my life and I cheer them on because they are our team. I'm also a Patriots fan because I lived in CT for a few years when I was young and just getting into football and they were the "local" team there. Grew up loving both teams. Why would I cheer on a team like Green Bay? I have no affiliation with Green Bay, Wisconsin, no family there, no friends there, and never even been there.

I'm a Flyers fan and never lived in Philly. But growing up in WI we didn't have an NHL team and god forbid I like anything MN, MI or IL. :laugh: Flyers got me hooked on hockey. Now of course I live in AZ and am a die hard Coyotes fan. Flyers still hold a special place in my heart though. They are my #1B.

Flyers fan here! So sad they lost yet again today!
  • mcflat29
    mcflat29 Posts: 2,159 Member
    Options
    I don't have any local professional sports teams... makes my life easy and boring. :laugh:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,659 Member
    Options
    I used to do that... now im just BLAH about all damn sports, its just a waste of time and energy ...
    if they dont win, if they win, whats the big deal at the end?, I just think its boring.. I rather do some other stuff when the rest of the people are in lalaland watching a game.
    People getting all excited, fighting, and even killing each other.... over a damn team.
    Oh, you must mean soccer. In NFL football, all that happens on the field!

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition