i love my cheese

Options

Replies

• redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options

Here

http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/lactose-intolerance

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/science/2009-08-30-lactose-intolerance_N.htm

I'd like to see some percentages of the human population allergic to cats, peanuts, ect since you thought it was a comparable number, if so that's very interesting.

Well first off, these two articles give two different numbers as far as the percentage of people that are supposed to be lactose intolerant, and both differ with your 70% as stated above. But I do appreciate you posting these and I read these articles and several more on the subject.

Secondly, we are discussing cheese, not milk. There is a difference in the amount of lactose in both of these products and it is significantly less in cheese. Many people that have lactose intolerance can eat a variety of cheese because the amount of lactose in cheese is reduced both during production of cheese and in the aging process.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/lactose-intolerance/DS00530/DSECTION=lifestyle-and-home-remedies

Lactose intolerance is a deficiancy of lactase. Lactase actually is a naturally occuring enzyme in raw milk that helps in the breakdown of lactose, but is destroyed in the pasteurizing process. A deficiency in lactase is most prevalent in adults as both of your articles point out. Lactase production drops off as we reach adulthood. Often this is due to the change in diet and milk is no longer a main source of our nutrition. If we are eating a balanced diet, our need for the nutrients found in milk is less critical because we get them in so many other foods. In infancy and childhood, milk is a major source of nutrition and is very beneficial in development. As adults we no longer need milk, but most of us still love it! :smile: That being said, it isn't a great alarm that so many people are lactose intolerant.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/lactose-intolerance/DS00530/DSECTION=causes

Milk fat contains the best fatty acids necessary for brain development. For this reason I really do not understand why everyone thinks we need to give children skim millk, but that is a completely different discussion.

Lastly, I never stated that people allergic to cats, nuts, and penicillin was comparable to your number of the population that cannot digest milk. I only stated it was a large number. I wont state an actual figure unless I've done my "research". I forgot to include bees, shellfish and gluten as well.

People that are lactose intolerant cannot always eat cheese without issue, in fact I have never met a person who is lactose intolerant that can eat cheese without discomfort because although the amount of lactose may be less, it's still there, that person is still lactose intolerant.

Also, frankly you do not need to give children cow's milk period. Cow's milk is not crucial to human brain development.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    Cheese is the #1 thing that prevents me from being vegan.
    When I decided to learn about nutrition & change my eating habits, I put my foot down when it came to cheese.
    However, since I decided that, I also decided I was going to be strict on everything else I consumed. It's totally worth it to me.
    It also helps that my favorite cheese is mozzarella - which is typically the lowest in fat & cals, & they even make it with even more reduced fat & cals.

With us cheese lovers, we have to know what works for us & what our goals are. What will happen if I gave up cheese for a few weeks? I'd probably go on a 3 or 4 day bender eating 1lb of cheese a day. Yeah, I did that. Lesson learned.
    Buy & eat it in moderation. Be aware of what exactly you are ingesting (the amount, the content.) Get the good cheese, not the cheap junk cheese - so when you do want it you will be satisfied with a smaller amount.

Good luck! :)

There's vegan cheese.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I probably eat 1-2 oz full fat cheese daily. I also eat meat. And butter.

I like the cut of your jib
  • NachoEverydayChick
    NachoEverydayChick Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    When I decided to learn about nutrition & change my eating habits, I put my foot down when it came to cheese.
    However, since I decided that, I also decided I was going to be strict on everything else I consumed. It's totally worth it to me.
    It also helps that my favorite cheese is mozzarella - which is typically the lowest in fat & cals, & they even make it with even more reduced fat & cals.

With us cheese lovers, we have to know what works for us & what our goals are. What will happen if I gave up cheese for a few weeks? I'd probably go on a 3 or 4 day bender eating 1lb of cheese a day. Yeah, I did that. Lesson learned.
    Buy & eat it in moderation. Be aware of what exactly you are ingesting (the amount, the content.) Get the good cheese, not the cheap junk cheese - so when you do want it you will be satisfied with a smaller amount.

There's vegan cheese flavored product.
    Fixed that for you.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options

There's vegan cheese flavored product.
    Fixed that for you.

OMG THANK YEW
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    People that are lactose intolerant cannot always eat cheese without issue, in fact I have never met a person who is lactose intolerant that can eat cheese without discomfort because although the amount of lactose may be less, it's still there, that person is still lactose intolerant.

Also, frankly you do not need to give children cow's milk period. Cow's milk is not crucial to human brain development.

Well, you met one. I am lactose intolerant and I enjoy cheese pretty much daily. I do beleive a couple other people on this thread have stated the same for themselves. If you read the articles I posted from the Mayo Clinic, they state most adults that are diagnosed as lactose intolerant can manage up to 250ml of milk (about 8oz) at a time without too many issues.

Read what I said about brain development again as well. No, I did not state that you HAD to give children cows milk, but I did state that MILK contains the best fatty acids for brain development. Doctors do not recommend cows milk for up to the first year of a child's life, especially if the mother is breastfeeding. But when the child is weaned from formula or breast milk, it is recommended that children move to milk - namely cow's milk which is the easiest option for necessary nutrients the child needs.

If you think Milk is bad, read the ingredients of infant formula:
    Ingredients
    Reduced Minerals Whey, Nonfat Milk, Vegetable Oil (Palm Olein, Soy, Coconut, and High Oleic Sunflower Oils), and Less than 2%: Galactooligosaccharides (a Type of Prebiotic), Polydextrose (a Type of Prebiotic), Mortierella Alpina Oil (a Source of Arachidonic Acid (ARA)), Crypthecodinium Cohnii Oil (a Source of Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA)), Lactose, Potassium Citrate, Calcium Carbonate, Calcium Chloride, Sodium Chloride, Calcium Phosphate, Ferrous Sulfate, Sodium Citrate, Zinc Sulfate, Cupric Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Mono- and Diglycerides, Soy Lecithin, Ascorbic Acid, Sodium Ascorbate, Vitamin B12, Vitamin D3, Vitamin E Acetate, Niacinamide, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Thiamin Hydrochloride, Vitamin B6 Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Vitamin K1, Biotin, Carrageenan, Choline Chloride, Inositol, Nucleotides (Cytidine 5'-Monophosphate, Adenosine 5'-Monophosphate, Disodium Guanosine 5'-Monophosphate, Disodium Uridine 5'-Monophosphate), Taurine.
    Some is good like the vitamins, but vegetable oil? salt? and a bunch of chemicals to make it digestable!

I'm sorry that you are a milk nazi. You obviously have some issues with milk, although you have not given any indication that you yourself are lactose intolerant so these issues must run deep and I won't even begin to speculate. Dont bother to respond because I'm dropping out of this conversation.

I also apologize to the OP since you've so successfully hi-jacked her question thread with your anti-milk campaign.

All things in moderation. P E R I O D

Even milk AND cheese.
  • kimmcconkey
    kimmcconkey Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    one trick I use is shredding my own with a small grater. It makes 1 ounce go so much further than a chunk or even pre-shredded. So much more flavor and spreading for the same calories. I also use 2% when I can, and sometimes laughing cow light wedges.
    Just portion and stay to an ounce!

I use the small grater trick too! Works like a charm. I also use light Swiss cheese although sometimes I splurge and have about 30g of aged cheddar with Kashi Toasted Asiago Crackers (yum). I concur with everything in moderation too.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    One serving of cheese is a stupid tease. I had to cut it. I can't just eat a serving. That's ridiculous to me.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    One serving of cheese is a stupid tease. I had to cut it. I can't just eat a serving. That's ridiculous to me.

In cutting it out, you may be harming yourself. Hard cheeses are a source of some amazing nutrients. Check out this interview with a medical researcher, Dr. Chris Masterjohn, who is doing cutting edge research in nutrition. http://mercola.fileburst.com/PDF/ExpertInterviewTranscripts/Interview-ChrisMasterjohn.pdf
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    I probably eat 1-2 oz full fat cheese daily. I also eat meat. And butter.

Me too, think that makes a neat handful of us on this thread...do not like fat reduced anything (and find it a pain that not all shops sell the full fat versions anymore), it does not taste the same and for me the fat makes me feel fuller, I need it. I also have double cream, full fat creme fraiche and full fat greek yoghurt. Not every day, but most days : )
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options

In cutting it out, you may be harming yourself. Hard cheeses are a source of some amazing nutrients. Check out this interview with a medical researcher, Dr. Chris Masterjohn, who is doing cutting edge research in nutrition. http://mercola.fileburst.com/PDF/ExpertInterviewTranscripts/Interview-ChrisMasterjohn.pdf

I will reject anything from Mercola. Lol. No thanks. I do not eat any dairy.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

I will reject anything from Mercola. Lol. No thanks. I do not eat any dairy.

Why? He is a medical journalist and while some things he presents are a bit "over-the-top" there is a fair bit there that has been quite helpful to me. I respect your decision to eliminate dairy--many people are forced to because of allergy (my husband has a severe allergy to casein) but I just plain feel better when I include some organic dairy in my daily diet.

One bit of wisdom that I collected from a naturopath years ago is that any food that is addictive for you must be eliminated from your diet. I finally got around to eliminating sugar (just cutting back didn't help very much) and wheat and I feel WAAAYY better (and I have lost about 50 pounds since then). My husband used to LOVE dairy---always said that heaven would be a place where you could eat hot fudge sundaes three times a day and never gain an ounce. He used to eat dairy at every meal. He would make himself huge plates of nachos with tons of cheese. He never had a serious weight problem but when he realized he was allergic to it (he got horrible eczema attacks from it) and stopped eating it, he immediately dropped 25 pounds (almost overnight).
  • nc805397
    nc805397 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I used to eat A TON of cheese every week. I realized this was a huge downfall because I need to eat things in moderation. I started buying the mini babybel light cheeses and since it is already pre-packaged I know exactly what a serving looks like and I only have 1/day. Before MFP I was buying the big blocks of cheese and eating all of within maybe 5 days.. :O so glad I've kicked that bad habit but I still get some delicious cheese (and in the right portion!)
  • luvsyoga
    luvsyoga Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I switched to laughing cow light , it's a nice snack for 24 cals!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Never had any issues with cheese, my downfall was always the sweet stuff like ice cream, cake and chocolate, so I am usually pretty safe having cheese around. I just have a bite sometimes in the evening and tend not to feel any urge for more. I used to barely touch the stuff, but then met my bf who is a big cheese fan and seems to live off stilton sometimes. I eat cottage cheese more than any other cheese anyway and prefer it(unless the cheese has fruit like cranberries or apricot in it as well).
  • dollhousedolly
    dollhousedolly Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Cheese is something I would work into my calories :) Mmm Beecher's cheese is so good!
  • natalie2603
    natalie2603 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    What's fattening about cheese in moderation?

the fact that its basically mostly fat.

Fat is not going to make you fat - having a caloric surplus will. Fat in your diet is excellent to aid in weight loss as it helps to regulate your hormones. Just don't eat too much as fat is about 9 calories per gram.
  • natalie2603
    natalie2603 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese is great as it is high in protein.

Parmesan cheese is also fantastic as it not only is high in protein however you only need a small amount to curb your cheese 'taste' as it has such a strong flavour.

If you really can not cut back on having the cheese work it into your diet to allow a couple of cubes a day and portion the cheese off in baggies. There is nothing wrong with eating cheese - you just should not eat too much of it.

I would not bother switching to a light/low fat variety as the taste is mediocre at best and will not satiate you. You could more than likely end up eating twice as much as you might normally of with regular cheese and STILL not feel satisfied.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    If it's so good for you then why is only around 30% of the world population able to digest it correctly?

I AM THE 30%!

No problems digesting dairy here. 100% Northern European descended. I'm 41 and still drink dairy milk and eat cheeses everyday. No bloating, no gas, no issues. Next.
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I eat cheese every day. I just don't eat a lot of it. Double cream french cheeses..omg!