Does the weight loss count if they had surgery?

Options
MaryJane_8810002
MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
I saw this question on the Success board and it kind of made me think. I remember last May I dreaded going to a personal training session so I called my health insurance company. I knew I was too small for Gastric Bypass so I asked them if they would foot the bill for Lap Band surgery. Of course they told me no, but a heavier relative qualified under her health insurance. I ask this question because I met someone that had the surgery. They had the band removed to conceive and once everything "settled" down she ended up gaining 141 pounds. So I ask for your opinion, do you think their weight loss counts if they had surgery?

Replies

• milf_n_cookies
    milf_n_cookies Posts: 2,244 Member
    Options
    Nope, my 170 lbs doesn't count, even though I worked my *kitten* off for it, and continue to do so every.single.day in order to maintain it.
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    It all depends if they lost weight because of the surgery or because of a lifestyle change AND the surgery. If it is the latter then I think it counts (^_^)
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    The weight is gone....so yeah.
  • whierd
    Options
    And to add: Weight loss isn't a competition. Whether a person had surgery or lost it through diet and exercise alone is irrelevant. We should be celebrating the fact that they DID lose that much weight and improved their quality of life, and their lifespan.
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    And to add: Weight loss isn't a competition. Whether a person had surgery or lost it through diet and exercise alone is irrelevant. We should be celebrating the fact that they DID lose that much weight and improved their quality of life, and their lifespan.

Yes!!! Perfectly worded (^_^)
  • whierd
    Options

Thank you, I was quite proud of it after I typed it. :tongue:
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options

This beats my answer which was "Why are you being Judgy-McJudgerson?"
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    The only time weight loss doesn't count is when it's...found again :tongue:
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Counts, in what context?
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options

This beats my answer which was "Why are you being Judgy-McJudgerson?"

Not judging just quoting a question from the success thread.
  • pinky_pie
    pinky_pie Posts: 127
    Options
    So a fat person gets shamed for being fat, and then he or she gets shamed for having weight loss surgery and losing the weight?

That is a large cup of WTF.
  • darisey
    darisey Posts: 228 Member
    Options

Agreed! :)
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    As long as we are on earth then yes.
    If you are on the moon then not so much.
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    A lot of people think WLS is taking the easy way out. Talk to people who have had it and you'll see it's anything but the easy way out.
  • milf_n_cookies
    milf_n_cookies Posts: 2,244 Member
    Options
    As long as we are on earth then yes.
    If you are on the moon then not so much.

That made me literally LOL I'm a total nerd, don't judge me for it, just judge me case I had WLS :)
  • NZhellkat
    NZhellkat Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is weight loss. Whether trough surgery or hard work and a better diet. What counts most is whether or not they make a lifestyle change and continue with it. That's what matters to me about my life.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I remember last May I dreaded going to a personal training session so I called my health insurance company. I knew I was too small for Gastric Bypass so I asked them if they would foot the bill for Lap Band surgery.

And also, I hope you've sorted yourself out here because inquiring about a serious surgery just because you don't want to go to a PT session is all sorts of wrong when it comes to having a good mindset about healthy, long-term weight loss.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

^^yep
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    A lot of people think WLS is taking the easy way out. Talk to people who have had it and you'll see it's anything but the easy way out.

I saw a British doco that followed two people who had weight-loss surgery, one guy had to LOSE over 120lbs (57kg I think it was) before the doctors would even do the surgery.

I personally wouldn't have weight-loss surgery.

It doesn't look like a fun way to lose weight, but it's a tool, not a solution... of course it COUNTS.

As with any weight-loss maintenance is important, and a completely different skill set to learn.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    Yes it counts! I have a long time friend who in her 20's was about 430ish pounds, also had a ton of health problems she had gastric bypass surgery 3 years ago and is now about 150 pounds and healthy. I am so proud of her for doing it and following through. She just announced she's pregnant, before dropping the weight she was told she couldn't have kids, heck she wasn't even having periods back then. So yes in my opinion it counts, go for it and be a healthier you!