Why are there so many crabby pants on MFP?

Options

Replies

• danigirl1011
    danigirl1011 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I know what post you're referring to, because i saw you on it. I think people just get tired of the whining. And to be honest i can't stand people that get on here and whine. It will not do anything for weightloss. When she said "if i don't lose a pound this week i'm quitting!" that was a whine. I tried to offer her support and not be mean, but at the same time, you can only take so much advice from others. No one can hold your hand when you go to the fridge. She needs to buck up and get on it and stop taking so much energy whining. PUt it to the treadmill instead. GEEZ!!
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    I agree this site can be a amazing tool and i look forward to using it more. holding my self accountable. like i also said meeting people who have a common focus or goal is A Remarkable thing. i wont lie either some of the stuff here is So High school or Middle School. i am going to check out more of the forums in other category's maybe they are better fun and games was something i thought would be a fun place to start i was some what wrong

ok as for Game of Thrones truly one of the more epic Tv Events Ever

Tyrion_slaps_Joffrey.gif

Fixed it for you
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Some people do seem to use this as a springboard to attack and harass others. This site seriously needs a block button. One thing to note though is that all some of us have in common is a desire to weigh less and be healthier.

So take what works and ignore the rest. Failing that, imagine anyone you dislike being dragged nekkid through a stadium full of used cat litter.

It has an ignore feature. Right under profile picture, I think. I think that also blocks messages from them as well.
  • Live2InspireHope
    Live2InspireHope Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Thanks Laura i have not Posted much Here you can Tell. Thanks again

WINTER IS COMING!!!!!!!!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I agree this site can be a amazing tool and i look forward to using it more. holding my self accountable. like i also said meeting people who have a common focus or goal is A Remarkable thing. i wont lie either some of the stuff here is So High school or Middle School. i am going to check out more of the forums in other category's maybe they are better fun and games was something i thought would be a fun place to start i was some what wrong

ok as for Game of Thrones truly one of the more epic Tv Events Ever

Thank you for making sure to keep this post on topic with your last sentence. <3

FJXeNmd.gif
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    people are crabby everywhere; mfp is no different. put a man behind a monitor & keyboard and he's suddenly not accountable for politeness. it happens sometimes, especially with people who are "giving up" things they're emotionally connected to (like certain foods/ drinks)

so be patient with them. and be kind yourself. and then you'll find that most people are just people, like everywhere.

have a sweet day
  • N8r8r
    N8r8r Posts: 75 Member
    Options

Why are the forums on MFP so hostile? It's just a weight gain/maitenance/loss tool that has the option of being able to share in a community of others who are interested in the same thing ie. fitness.

A lot of people are crabby because it's difficult to give up your love affair with food (speaking from experiance on this one personally). At least that's why I'm crabby sometimes, I can't speak for the general population.

Sorry you're having a bad time on MFP.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Aren't you cute. I would say "are you new here" But I can see from your join date you have been here for almost a year. You should know by now that the "why are people mean here?" threads do not and never have gone over well.

If you do not like something someone says all the time use the ignore user feature and move on... of course then the forums get boring.
  • N8r8r
    Options
    people are crabby everywhere; mfp is no different. put a man behind a monitor & keyboard and he's suddenly not accountable for politeness. it happens sometimes, especially with people who are "giving up" things they're emotionally connected to (like certain foods/ drinks)

so be patient with them. and be kind yourself. and then you'll find that most people are just people, like everywhere.

have a sweet day

Couldn't have said it better myself, although some women act the same way...justsayin.:wink:
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Repost!!!!

I have been here almost 2 years and I pretty much seen it all. This is how I see the life cycle of MFP (this tread is not about you personally….those are generalities. No hate mail please)

Newbie!!! This is sooo exciting, they are ready to do whatever it take to lose the weight once and for all.

-They cut calories as far as they can.

-Plan to lose 10 pounds in 4 weeks

-Go to the gym 2 hours a day and do cardio to burn calories,

-Do not eat their earned calories back (because what is the point then and think that all of us to tell them to eat, please just eat are out of their minds)

-Panic because a have a meal with family at a restaurant and oh my god how will they fit the calories in (hint…..exercising for hours)

-Post a tread about how nasty the old timers are.

-Burn out

Option A

-Quit

Option B

-Learn as much as possible about TDEE, BMR, The science of nutrition, Heavy strength training, learn about body fat%. Up their calories, care less about the scale; get healthy.

-turn around and try to help the newbie

-Get tired of fighting with the newbie and start answering in a way the newbies find rude.

-Get tired of being called rude but are in the best shape of their life, enjoy life, eat a lot and stop the hamster wheel of weight loss
    Only problem with this post is that some of us have been around for more than 2 years. And this ^^^ little cycle didn't apply much before about a year & a half ago. That's when a big group (I lovingly call "the mob") came in & just loved to throw around the insults & "snarky" comments at those that weren't a part of their group. They pretty much took over the Chit Chat section. Mike (the developer of this site) tried to cut down on their behavior by creating groups in MFP, where you could create your own private groups that are much less moderated than the rest of the forums. It didn't have the desired effect.

Before that time there were plenty of us who learned a ton here, got in the best shape of our lives & still found ways to not insult everyone here that was new or just didn't do things our way. And jerks were actually pretty rare; yes, even in the Chit Chat section. In fact many of those folks have since left because of a lot of the nonsense that's so common now. It's just one the growing pains of site with a growing social network. Sad, but true.

I'm gonna go out on a limb & say this post might incite the mob a little...
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I know what post you're referring to, because i saw you on it. I think people just get tired of the whining. And to be honest i can't stand people that get on here and whine. It will not do anything for weightloss. When she said "if i don't lose a pound this week i'm quitting!" that was a whine. I tried to offer her support and not be mean, but at the same time, you can only take so much advice from others. No one can hold your hand when you go to the fridge. She needs to buck up and get on it and stop taking so much energy whining. PUt it to the treadmill instead. GEEZ!!

I agree sometimes you want to shake a person, but then I can see the other side of the coin. I'm working so hard and the results are slow. I feel frustrated I feel defeated. I need help! I mean if your hungry you will be a bit whiney.
  • Live2InspireHope
    Live2InspireHope Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    OK What is the Trick with posting Gif's ?

Game of Thrones is only about 6 weeks away to season 3. so for those who have not seen it run out start watching season 1 and 2 now and then you will be ready for season 3. it might just be the best thing on TV
  • N8r8r
    Options
    FJXeNmd.gif

I will never look at GOT the same way again...thanks for that :tongue:
  • Quel1970
    Quel1970 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with the OP. Some ppl just feel better about themselves when they are tearing someone else down...

What cracks me up are the ppl that feel the need to say 'Oh, this topic again?' Seriously? You're tired of the topic but took the time to read it AND post? I'm pretty sure the TOS doesn't require you to read or post in the forums... It does however, require you to respect other ppl while in the forums.
  • mistahbeebs
    Options
    Its simple; some people find it easy to sit behind a computer where there no immediate or even delayed repricussions for their actions so they keep doing it because they can.
    You can choose to dig deep into their psychological state of mind and say they are acting out because life sucks, it could just be sense of humor or whatever. In the end, its pointless to entertain them; ignore.. skip their comments and read the good ones.
    I'm loving a lot of the info here and hope you guys get to your goals.
    Cheers!
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-26322-1338313266-9.gif
  • danigirl1011
    danigirl1011 Posts: 314 Member
    Options

I agree sometimes you want to shake a person, but then I can see the other side of the coin. I'm working so hard and the results are slow. I feel frustrated I feel defeated. I need help! I mean if your hungry you will be a bit whiney.

No offense, but people are using the excuse of being hungry on here way too much. The goal is not to starve yourself. There are a billion recipes on here for healthy low cal foods. You should never be hungry or you're eating the wrong stuff!!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Aren't you cute. I would say "are you new here" But I can see from your join date you have been here for almost a year. You should know by now that the "why are people mean here?" threads do not and never have gone over well.

If you do not like something someone says all the time use the ignore user feature and move on... of course then the forums get boring.

I havent seen the "mean people" threads, but it would seem that if it is a reoccuring theme that there is something going on, correct? All I can think of hungry tired people and big bullies who never left high shcool
  • april_mesk
    april_mesk Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Repost!!!!

I have been here almost 2 years and I pretty much seen it all. This is how I see the life cycle of MFP (this tread is not about you personally….those are generalities. No hate mail please)

Newbie!!! This is sooo exciting, they are ready to do whatever it take to lose the weight once and for all.

-They cut calories as far as they can.

-Plan to lose 10 pounds in 4 weeks

-Go to the gym 2 hours a day and do cardio to burn calories,

-Do not eat their earned calories back (because what is the point then and think that all of us to tell them to eat, please just eat are out of their minds)

-Panic because a have a meal with family at a restaurant and oh my god how will they fit the calories in (hint…..exercising for hours)

-Post a tread about how nasty the old timers are.

-Burn out

Option A

-Quit

Option B

-Learn as much as possible about TDEE, BMR, The science of nutrition, Heavy strength training, learn about body fat%. Up their calories, care less about the scale; get healthy.

-turn around and try to help the newbie

-Get tired of fighting with the newbie and start answering in a way the newbies find rude.

-Get tired of being called rude but are in the best shape of their life, enjoy life, eat a lot and stop the hamster wheel of weight loss
    Only problem with this post is that some of us have been around for more than 2 years. And this ^^^ little cycle didn't apply much before about a year & a half ago. That's when a big group (I lovingly call "the mob") came in & just loved to throw around the insults & "snarky" comments at those that weren't a part of their group. They pretty much took over the Chit Chat section. Mike (the developer of this site) tried to cut down on their behavior by creating groups in MFP, where you could create your own private groups that are much less moderated than the rest of the forums. It didn't have the desired effect.

Before that time there were plenty of us who learned a ton here, got in the best shape of our lives & still found ways to not insult everyone here that was new or just didn't do things our way. And jerks were actually pretty rare; yes, even in the Chit Chat section. In fact many of those folks have since left because of a lot of the nonsense that's so common now. It's just one the growing pains of site with a growing social network. Sad, but true.

I'm gonna go out on a limb & say this post might incite the mob a little...

Are you new? true, true.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

I havent seen the "mean people" threads, but it would seem that if it is a reoccuring theme that there is something going on, correct? All I can think of hungry tired people and big bullies who never left high shcool

The alternative is that people get way too upset here and misinterpret tone far too often on MFP.

More often than not, the posts created to complain about the big mean bullies are made by people who completely misrepresent what was said to them, didn't like having their information corrected, or who can't understand the difference between attacking misinformation and a personal attack. It happens a LOT.

Real bullies don't last long here. They often get run off the boards by the very people many of you are calling "big meanies."

You shouldn't assume that this place is a big bully-fest without actually taking the time to read through these types of threads and getting the full story first.