#3 Why calorie in calorie out ALONE isnt enough.

Options

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Who said carbs are "bad"??? Where did I say IT WASNT ABOUT CALORIES?

Its like a cult on here.....lol.

Lol, do you even read the posts you comment on?

Are you actually saying it makes absolutely no difference when you choose to eat with reference to even working out?

Please please please say yes!!!

Again.. it's me who can't read.

I'll play you're little game. I'm feeling feisty.

Problem is I have no idea what:
    "Are you actually saying it makes absolutely no difference when you choose to eat with reference to even working out?"
    even means. I don't know how to have a debate with someone who has such trouble forming sentences. If I have trouble understanding what you wrote maybe the problem doesn't lie with me.

If you're asking "can you eat what you want, workout, and still lose weight" the answer is abso-friggin'-lutely. I lost 90lbs doing exactly that. Thanks to MFP.

Ok, so you didnt read the post....no problem.

Keep eating poptarts in moderation; that will have you thin and happy for life, lol.

I eat pop tarts in moderation. And ice cream.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

Note1: if you think im a troll bc of some other post please, save yourself the aggravation and simply skip over this post.

And they dare say the Chinese are out working us intellectually....**sigh**

Note 1) Not think. Know. Still hilarious.

Note 2) You said something to that equivilant yesterday. Odd country to latch onto. But please - continue insult our members.

Your perpetual confusion as to why people are taking you less and less seriously with every insult is amusing.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I agree--those who are saying "calorie in calorie out" are saying the (real world) equivalent of "if you weren't fat, you wouldn't be so fat". "Move more and eat less" doesn't really explain anything very well because the obvious next question is: "Eat less than what? (I was only eating 1200 calories when I was morbidly obese) Move more than what? I have arthritis and my joints can only handle so much stress and strain. Until I discovered water exercise I didn't think I could exercise (and I still have days when it feels like I am climbing a mountain). I am fifty pounds smaller now and no longer morbidly obese, but until I cut out sugar and wheat, I was going nowhere and the advice to "just eat less and move more" was very unhelpful.

And did you get morbidly obese eating 1200 cals a day? Most likely not.

No, but the weight came on very gradually and I'm sure that you know that just 200 calories more than you need on a daily basis adds a lot of fat over five to ten years or so. And as I gained, my arthritis got worse, so I moved less. I'm not trying to tell anyone that calorie counting doesn't work, but I am telling you that the experience for me and a number of other people is that there are certain foods that trigger problems controlling appetite and contribute to overeating (even if it isn't by much).

That's called lack of self control, foods aren't forcing themselves down your throat, but it makes for a convenient scapegoat for those that lack will power
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    TL;DR
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

Keep eating poptarts in moderation; that will have you thin and happy for life, lol.

I actually sit on the other side of the aisle with this one.... I'm one of the people that think Toaster Strudel's are superior to Pop Tarts.

I've got a box of cherry ones in the freezer. mmmmm!

You look awesome - but you're wrong. I'm going to assume you have never eaten a brown sugar cinnamon pop tart.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    This is an example of what happens when someone purchases a Gary Taubes book.

exactly what i was thinking
  • zaxx1953
    zaxx1953 Posts: 389 Member
    Options

I actually sit on the other side of the aisle with this one.... I'm one of the people that think Toaster Strudel's are superior to Pop Tarts.

I've got a box of cherry ones in the freezer. mmmmm!

Pop one in right after lifting and before a shake...

You're good..

Think of it as maxy waize on steroids.
  • znbjt0
    znbjt0 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Is there really a desire for parts #4 and #5?
  • WhyLime113
    WhyLime113 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna be honest, you guys are kind of being jerks. Everyone (You too OP, people might be reacting badly, but try not to throw insults back at them)

Either way, dude has a point. A good one. Calorie counting helps. He's made that clear. But it's not an end all be all. That's true for most people. Anyone who thinks calories in calories out alone works for most people is sorely mistaken. There's ALWAYS other factors at play. Be it people who have difficulty doing anything but obsessing over calories (thereby causing serious problems in the future and potential for ED).

Seriously, I tried counting calories a couple years ago, before joining MFP. Didn't work AT ALL. I didn't lose any weight. I didn't feel any better. Now that I'm doing, thinking about how I'm spending my calories (on a full meal salad vs a few fries and a small burger), learning how to eat better, reducing carbs and fatty foods, how to control portions, etc. I've actually lost weight and felt a ton healthier then when I didn't think about it beyond limiting caloric intake. I counted the same way, but the changes I made were choosing better foods, finding enjoyable exercise, and feeling good about myself. Counting is a tool to help me learn better portions and eating habits; it's also convenient in that it let's me record my food and see how I'm eating. But counting won't help everyone, and for some, it deals negative effects.

Not to mention, if you eat better overall and do good exercise, you'll have greater long term success. Your body will be healthier overall (because you really should be focusing more on your nutrients, not your calories). Calorie counting is great and all, but long term success comes from improvement in multiple categories, not just one.
  • quirkytizzy
    Options
    I'm gonna be honest, you guys are kind of being jerks.

Dude has a point. A good one. Calorie counting helps. He's made that clear. But it's not an end all be all. That's true for most people. Anyone who thinks calories in calories out alone works for most people is sorely mistaken. There's ALWAYS other factors at play. Be it people who have difficulty doing anything but obsessing over calories (thereby causing serious problems in the future and potential for ED).

Seriously, I tried counting calories a couple years ago, before joining MFP. Didn't work AT ALL. I didn't lose any weight. I didn't feel any better. Now that I'm doing, thinking about how I'm spending my calories (on a full meal salad vs a few fries and a small burger), learning how to eat better, reducing carbs and fatty foods, how to control portions, etc. I've actually lost weight and felt a ton healthier then when I didn't think about it beyond limiting caloric intake. I counted the same way, but the changes I made were choosing better foods, finding enjoyable exercise, and feeling good about myself. Counting is a tool to help me learn better portions and eating habits; it's also convenient in that it let's me record my food and see how I'm eating. But counting won't help everyone, and for some, it deals negative effects.

Not to mention, if you eat better overall and do good exercise, you'll have greater long term success. Your body will be healthier overall (because you really should be focusing more on your nutrients, not your calories). Calorie counting is great and all, but long term success comes from improvement in multiple categories, not just one.

He insulted several members yesterday, one even saying that he'd better put his shirt back on because the man was too gross to look at. He also said that one member was "too loose" (vagina-wise, I believe) to hit, though he was gracious enough to mention were he desperate, he'd hit it anyways.

Also said that anyone who used the social aspects of calorie counting sites was lacking in intelligence and likely to fail. Those who track exercise, by Zaxx's recommendations, are also doomed to the same fate. Thread was deleted eventually.

Dude gets being jerkafied in return after all that.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Ok, so you didnt read the post....no problem.

Oh I read it. Wish I hadn't.

I will. And it'll still work. I've done exactly that, lost a bunch of weight, and gotten in great shape. I've used MFP to count my calories, haven't eliminated any food groups, and learned the benefits of exercise. It's changed my life and I've even inspired a few others to do the same.

What you got?

Oh yeah, you read a Taubes book. That's right. Great work you!
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I wish I could find a gluten-free substitute for those brown sugar and cinnamon poptarts. Those things are incredible! Taken in moderation, of course. CI<CO
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options

Dude has a point. A good one. Calorie counting helps. He's made that clear. But it's not an end all be all. That's true for most people. Anyone who thinks calories in calories out alone works for most people is sorely mistaken. There's ALWAYS other factors at play. Be it people who have difficulty doing anything but obsessing over calories (thereby causing serious problems in the future and potential for ED).

This ^^^

Well said, I completely agree.
  • myriddian
    myriddian Posts: 186 Member
    Options

Please please please say yes!!!

I reserve these sorts of responses for those who are giving me good romps in bed. Sorry.

*cue applause* my coffee almost decorated my computer screen reading this....
  • Kellyeee2013
    Options
    What was the punch line? I missed it cause I fell asleep part way through.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Anyone who thinks calories in calories out alone works for all people is correct.

Fixed
  • zaxx1953
    zaxx1953 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I agree--those who are saying "calorie in calorie out" are saying the (real world) equivalent of "if you weren't fat, you wouldn't be so fat". "Move more and eat less" doesn't really explain anything very well because the obvious next question is: "Eat less than what? (I was only eating 1200 calories when I was morbidly obese) Move more than what? I have arthritis and my joints can only handle so much stress and strain. Until I discovered water exercise I didn't think I could exercise (and I still have days when it feels like I am climbing a mountain). I am fifty pounds smaller now and no longer morbidly obese, but until I cut out sugar and wheat, I was going nowhere and the advice to "just eat less and move more" was very unhelpful.

And did you get morbidly obese eating 1200 cals a day? Most likely not.

No, but the weight came on very gradually and I'm sure that you know that just 200 calories more than you need on a daily basis adds a lot of fat over five to ten years or so. And as I gained, my arthritis got worse, so I moved less. I'm not trying to tell anyone that calorie counting doesn't work, but I am telling you that the experience for me and a number of other people is that there are certain foods that trigger problems controlling appetite and contribute to overeating (even if it isn't by much).

That's called lack of self control, foods aren't forcing themselves down your throat, but it makes for a convenient scapegoat for those that lack will power

America went from 11 million people with "no self control" to 85 million or something...all in the span of a few decades and all while maintaining insane productivity gains as the economic engine of the world?

Cool Story brah.....

Tell me how that works again.

p.s. You obviously didn't read any of the OP bc I SPECIFICALLY talked about how what I was posting wasn't pertinent to folks with a few lbs to lose who hadn't been significantly overweight before.

In your own profile you describe yourself as someone who watches what they eat for vanity, not health and only was skinny fat at his worst.....

But yo, all the cool kids are piling on, so keep the mindless posting up.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

This guy has, in this thread alone, made a rather odd ethnic joke, posted misinformation as fact, etc.

In the last... what, two days alone? He personally insulted probably 20+ members. As in, attacked their sex, their appearance, their spelling, their grammar, their intelligence, their personal pictures, their body types, etc.

Multiple times.

His post count is dramatically lower than the actual posts he's made, because so many were deleted by the mods (yet he's not banned).

I'm sorry, I'm all about "forgiveness" to a point... but he was so absolutely vicious, fulfilling the "4chan troll" stereotype, people are not going to take kindly to him, particularly when he resorts to the same issues of "opinion as fact" and "sexist, racist, body shaming, etc. etc." responses.

P.S. Calorie counting is a science; if it "didn't work for you," it's that the process did not work for you mentally, not that calories in vs. calories out did not work for you physiologically.
  • WhyLime113
    WhyLime113 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    That's unfortunate, but if you don't like him, then don't react badly back. Especially when he has good points. Because other people might walk in here, see it, then see you guys being difficult for the sake of being difficult, and then ignore the good points he's made. Why not focus on actually trying to be educational? Agree when things are good, or if you disagree, provide good reason why instead of calling the dude an idiot.
    Even if he is, you can still try and keep this an educational environment otherwise.
  • quirkytizzy
    Options

But yo, all the cool kids are piling on, so keep the mindless posting up.

I know. You love it. Especially since you said yesterday you were leaving and NEVER COMING BACK. But we knew you'd be back. *hums the theme to Hotel California*
This discussion has been closed.