#3 Why calorie in calorie out ALONE isnt enough.

Options

Replies

• BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Nevermind.

If you all want to pretend that we're being mean to him because we're all some sort of "cool clique" fine. Go ahead. Start thinking you need to eat small meals several times a day and bread is your enemy. "No it's not that I've been eating too much, it's pop tarts. Pop tarts make my sugar spike and I can't ever ever lose weight or be healthy because of pop tarts."

I guess I just got lucky, don't know how I ever lost weight following MFP. You all listen to your new friend with the great information. I mean you can see the results he's gotten, right? He's been around, he's proven he knows what he's talking about. Myself, Sidesteel, ACG, Sara...we're just bullies picking on the guy trying to help. It can't be because he's posting bad info. How on Earth could we possibly know what we're talking about? Just because we all lost weight and got in great shape using MFP... bunch of jerks. Why would you ever listen to guys like that?

Don't worry. Soon we'll all be banned and you'll be able to purchase your raspberry keytones without anyone saying a bad word against you.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Keep eating poptarts in moderation; that will have you thin and happy for life, lol.

I actually sit on the other side of the aisle with this one.... I'm one of the people that think Toaster Strudel's are superior to Pop Tarts.

I've got a box of cherry ones in the freezer. mmmmm!

You look awesome - but you're wrong. I'm going to assume you have never eaten a brown sugar cinnamon pop tart.

I agree, she is wrong. Lovely but terribly terribly wrong.

You've got me. I must confess. I have not eaten a Pop Tart in YEARS.

I only eat the Strudels. The warm, flaky, golden brown strudels.

While it is possible that I have forgotten the taste of a tart so sweet, my heart belongs to the Strudel.

The brown sugar ones are da bomb.com - they have to be toasted though.
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    TLDR: Just joined this month - knows more than anyone. Okay.

he / she could have been researching nutrition and exercising for decades for all you know. I only joined 3 months ago and i've been working out and studying nutrition for coming on 4 years now. I would say I have a better idea of how human physiology works better than most people on MFP.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

Keep eating poptarts in moderation; that will have you thin and happy for life, lol.

I actually sit on the other side of the aisle with this one.... I'm one of the people that think Toaster Strudel's are superior to Pop Tarts.

I've got a box of cherry ones in the freezer. mmmmm!

You look awesome - but you're wrong. I'm going to assume you have never eaten a brown sugar cinnamon pop tart.

I agree, she is wrong. Lovely but terribly terribly wrong.

You've got me. I must confess. I have not eaten a Pop Tart in YEARS.

I only eat the Strudels. The warm, flaky, golden brown strudels.

While it is possible that I have forgotten the taste of a tart so sweet, my heart belongs to the Strudel.

A little information please. The Strudel? Can you eat two for one serving? My pop tarts are 2 to a packet and yet, sadly, you can only have one in a serving. Another reason why some may be overweight. The misinterpretation of serving size.
  • zaxx1953
    zaxx1953 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I agree--those who are saying "calorie in calorie out" are saying the (real world) equivalent of "if you weren't fat, you wouldn't be so fat". "Move more and eat less" doesn't really explain anything very well because the obvious next question is: "Eat less than what? (I was only eating 1200 calories when I was morbidly obese) Move more than what? I have arthritis and my joints can only handle so much stress and strain. Until I discovered water exercise I didn't think I could exercise (and I still have days when it feels like I am climbing a mountain). I am fifty pounds smaller now and no longer morbidly obese, but until I cut out sugar and wheat, I was going nowhere and the advice to "just eat less and move more" was very unhelpful.

And did you get morbidly obese eating 1200 cals a day? Most likely not.

No, but the weight came on very gradually and I'm sure that you know that just 200 calories more than you need on a daily basis adds a lot of fat over five to ten years or so. And as I gained, my arthritis got worse, so I moved less. I'm not trying to tell anyone that calorie counting doesn't work, but I am telling you that the experience for me and a number of other people is that there are certain foods that trigger problems controlling appetite and contribute to overeating (even if it isn't by much).

That's called lack of self control, foods aren't forcing themselves down your throat, but it makes for a convenient scapegoat for those that lack will power

But..but.. IT'S THE FOODZ FALT!!

So, do you believe simple sugars affect everyone's body in a near identical way vis a vis hunger?

Very simple question with a Y or N answer?

In order for you to judge someone's level of "self control" or lack thereof wouldn't there have to be a standard level of hunger experienced between you and that other person?
  • beachlover317
    Options
    TLDR: Just joined this month - knows more than anyone. Okay.

he / she could have been researching nutrition and exercising for decades for all you know. I only joined 3 months ago and i've been working out and studying nutrition for coming on 4 years now. I would say I have a better idea of how human physiology works better than most people on MFP.

Ah, be patient. Soon you too, will understand.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

A little information please. The Strudel? Can you eat two for one serving? My pop tarts are 2 to a packet and yet, sadly, you can only have one in a serving. Another reason why some may be overweight. The misinterpretation of serving size.

They're so divine, you only need one. :)
  • AmandaLY17
    AmandaLY17 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I wish I could get my 15 min back :(
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options

Ok, so you didnt read the post....no problem.

uh. I actually know some totally buff body builders who just go on and on about how great pop tarts are.
  • beachlover317
    Options

They're so divine, you only need one. :)

Thank you. Perhaps I will try them when the pop tarts are all gone. I did like the little icing packs.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I see what you're sayng, OP. Calories in vs calories out aren't enough for sustainable health. In the long term, the twin who eats better food may not have the same results in terms of weight loss, but will be healthier.

I must be Chinese and have a tight vagina.
  • WhyLime113
    WhyLime113 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    That's unfortunate, but if you don't like him, then don't react badly back. Especially when he has good points. Because other people might walk in here, see it, then see you guys being difficult for the sake of being difficult, and then ignore the good points he's made. Why not focus on actually trying to be educational? Agree when things are good, or if you disagree, provide good reason why instead of calling the dude an idiot.
    Even if he is, you can still try and keep this an educational environment otherwise.

The only good point he made was counting calories works.
    I disagree. He made very good points. Like eating healthier overall vs just counting calories but not altering much of what you eat (or altering it to extremes). That calorie counting is good, but alone will not promote long term success.
    If you disagree with any of his points, please tell me why. Because until you do, then I will proceed to uphold the fact that his information is mostly correct in practice for many people.
  • vharding7
    vharding7 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    It really irritates me when people try to push their beliefs on others. Especially when they're not accurate. The
    Twinkie Diet. An experiment done by professor Mark Haub.
  • zaxx1953
    Options
    Nevermind.

If you all want to pretend that we're being mean to him because we're all some sort of "cool clique" fine. Go ahead. Start thinking you need to eat small meals several times a day and bread is your enemy. "No it's not that I've been eating too much, it's pop tarts. Pop tarts make my sugar spike and I can't ever ever lose weight or be healthy because of pop tarts."

I guess I just got lucky, don't know how I ever lost weight following MFP. You all listen to your new friend with the great information. I mean you can see the results he's gotten, right? He's been around, he's proven he knows what he's talking about. Myself, Sidesteel, ACG, Sara...we're just bullies picking on the guy trying to help. It can't be because he's posting bad info. How on Earth could we possibly know what we're talking about? Just because we all lost weight and got in great shape using MFP... bunch of jerks. Why would you ever listen to guys like that?

Don't worry. Soon we'll all be banned and you'll be able to purchase your raspberry keytones without anyone saying a bad word against you.

Just ate bread 100 mins ago or so.....

FAIL BOAT SAILS AGAIN.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I eat pop tarts in moderation. And ice cream.

Me too. :happy:

A warm pop tart a la mode. perfection. :flowerforyou:

Werd!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    FAIL BOAT SAILS AGAIN.

With you as her captain, I have no doubt you'll steer her safely to shore.
  • zaxx1953
    Options
    It really irritates me when people try to push their beliefs on others. Especially when they're not accurate. The
    Twinkie Diet. An experiment done by professor Mark Haub.

Still not reading the whole OP.

No one is saying you cannot lose weight in the near term by CI/CO....

NO ONE IS SAYING YOU CANNOT LOSE WEIGHT IN THE NEAR TERM BY CI/CO....

How many times.....how many nonsensical responses by those who obviously have not read the OP bc it was too long or cumbersome?
  • aross001
    aross001 Posts: 237
    Options
    I see what you're sayng, OP. Calories in vs calories out aren't enough for sustainable health. In the long term, the twin who eats better food may not have the same results in terms of weight loss, but will be healthier.

I must be Chinese and have a tight vagina.

I wasn't paying attention until vagina.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go play silly forum games while I sip on my lemony post-workout water.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    That's unfortunate, but if you don't like him, then don't react badly back. Especially when he has good points. Because other people might walk in here, see it, then see you guys being difficult for the sake of being difficult, and then ignore the good points he's made. Why not focus on actually trying to be educational? Agree when things are good, or if you disagree, provide good reason why instead of calling the dude an idiot.
    Even if he is, you can still try and keep this an educational environment otherwise.

The only good point he made was counting calories works.
    I disagree. He made very good points. Like eating healthier overall vs just counting calories but not altering much of what you eat (or altering it to extremes). That calorie counting is good, but alone will not promote long term success.
    If you disagree with any of his points, please tell me why. Because until you do, then I will proceed to uphold the fact that his information is mostly correct in practice for many people.

Are you reading any of the posts that are disagreeing with him?

Are you seeing the many stories of people who have made counting calories, and eating in moderation work??
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I agree--those who are saying "calorie in calorie out" are saying the (real world) equivalent of "if you weren't fat, you wouldn't be so fat". "Move more and eat less" doesn't really explain anything very well because the obvious next question is: "Eat less than what? (I was only eating 1200 calories when I was morbidly obese) Move more than what? I have arthritis and my joints can only handle so much stress and strain. Until I discovered water exercise I didn't think I could exercise (and I still have days when it feels like I am climbing a mountain). I am fifty pounds smaller now and no longer morbidly obese, but until I cut out sugar and wheat, I was going nowhere and the advice to "just eat less and move more" was very unhelpful.

And did you get morbidly obese eating 1200 cals a day? Most likely not.

No, but the weight came on very gradually and I'm sure that you know that just 200 calories more than you need on a daily basis adds a lot of fat over five to ten years or so. And as I gained, my arthritis got worse, so I moved less. I'm not trying to tell anyone that calorie counting doesn't work, but I am telling you that the experience for me and a number of other people is that there are certain foods that trigger problems controlling appetite and contribute to overeating (even if it isn't by much).

That's called lack of self control, foods aren't forcing themselves down your throat, but it makes for a convenient scapegoat for those that lack will power

But..but.. IT'S THE FOODZ FALT!!

So, do you believe simple sugars affect everyone's body in a near identical way vis a vis hunger?

Very simple question with a Y or N answer?

In order for you to judge someone's level of "self control" or lack thereof wouldn't there have to be a standard level of hunger experienced between you and that other person?

The responsiblity for eating lies with the eater not the item being eaten. Stop making enabling excuses. And FTR, you don't dictate to me how I answer. YOUR NOT THE BOSS OF ME! LOL
This discussion has been closed.