Do you skip the gym in freezing weather?

Options

Replies

• bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    My gym is in my basement where its 65 degs. So I don't skip anything.
  • Queen_Adrock
    Queen_Adrock Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I live in the northernmost city in Canada with a population over a million...so yes. Yes I do. It gets down to -40 here (same in fahrenheit and centigrade), so there's no way I'm leaving my house in that sort of ridiculousness! There's no plug-ins at the gym, and my car often refuses to start at that temp...so not about to risk being stranded in subzero temperatures. Instead, I'll pop in an exercise DVD or use my stair-stepper.

ETA:

-7 F = -21 C -- original poster put her temps in fahrenheit, so it's colder than it actually sounds to Canadians.
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    Nope, I was there last night and it was -2...that is what boots and coats and gloves are for....get er done.
  • gloriapiz55
    gloriapiz55 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I go no matter what.. you just have to suck it up and go.. you'll be happy you did!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Never. Do you skip work when it's cold too?
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Minnesota native here. I used to have to run out side in - 30 degree weather. i NEVER skip the gym on crappy days. its so nice in there!
  • divacat80
    divacat80 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Go to the gym, change to your gym clothes there and then once you finished your workouts dry your sweat with a towel and change back to your warm dry clothes and go back home to shower.

Of course that means more laundry to do but that's better than not working out.

If you can go outside and it's not dangerous then there's no excuse!
  • freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Nope, my gym is heated and I get warm working out. (I think most gyms are heated...?)

If you're worried about sweat, dry it off. If you're worried about how cold it is outside, wear long johns and a big coat and boots!

Of course, I'm in Texas. My idea of being cold is a lot like your idea of spring. But I've lived in Minneapolis and dealt with gyms in -5! If a Texan can do it, what's your excuse? XD
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    My hats off to everyone who has the strength and will power to go out in freezing temps! I live in deep south Texas and people down here (including myself) are really thrown off when the temperature drops to freezing levels. Public schools have cancelled classes when temps have gotten into the mid 20s!

My original reply was going to be "No, stay home, stay warm and keep safe", but now I realize that freezing temperatures and snow are par for the course in some parts of the country. Kudos to all who brave the elements to stay healthy!

Why would they close schools for mid 20s? I know it's not common there, but there's no danger! When I was a kid the governor closed school for -48 (-60 up north), but that's hardly the same. I'm not saying Texans need to go outside, but 20 is definitely fine for going in and out of a bus.
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I just got home from work, it's around 7:30am. Usually I hit the gym on my way home, but right now in Milwaukee it's -7 out, so cold it's painful! Am I wrong for skipping the gym when it's that cold out? I don't want to go outside all sweaty (there's no showers at the gym I go to). Does anyone else wimp out when it's freezing out?

I'm from GA living in MI....first off, I WOULD HAVE A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN IF IT WAS -7 HERE! And I probably will at the rate we're going -_-

Anywho, I genuinely hate winter so I around November when it really started getting cold, I made sure I always go straight to the gym from work. During the warmer months, I could go home, watch tv and then go. That won't happen now. I also started bringing my dinner to work with me.

I understand if you don't do it though! LORD! Maybe get some workout DVDs for the winter?
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Nope, my gym is heated and I get warm working out. (I think most gyms are heated...?)

If you're worried about sweat, dry it off. If you're worried about how cold it is outside, wear long johns and a big coat and boots!

Of course, I'm in Texas. My idea of being cold is a lot like your idea of spring. But I've lived in Minneapolis and dealt with gyms in -5! If a Texan can do it, what's your excuse? XD
    Love this
  • SGT_Reg
    SGT_Reg Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Depends on your level of commitment.

Do you want to only be healthy when the weather is warm?
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I live in the northernmost city in Canada with a population over a million...so yes. Yes I do. It gets down to -40 here (same in fahrenheit and centigrade), so there's no way I'm leaving my house in that sort of ridiculousness! There's no plug-ins at the gym, and my car often refuses to start at that temp...so not about to risk being stranded in subzero temperatures. Instead, I'll pop in an exercise DVD or use my stair-stepper.

ETA:

-7 F = -21 C -- original poster put her temps in fahrenheit, so it's colder than it actually sounds to Canadians.

You have a pass! That is too cold for anyone to go out for non-emergency situations!
  • CrisAlex
    CrisAlex Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Just do it - you'll feel better afterwards. If you really want to stay in, you can do videos at home. My go-tos are the Insanity and Cathe DVDs. Plus I have a gym in my building so no excuses for me.
  • SGT_Reg
    SGT_Reg Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Never. Do you skip work when it's cold too?

Nice
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I hate winter, the only good thing about it is that there is nothing else to do except go the gym.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I just got home from work, it's around 7:30am. Usually I hit the gym on my way home, but right now in Milwaukee it's -7 out, so cold it's painful! Am I wrong for skipping the gym when it's that cold out? I don't want to go outside all sweaty (there's no showers at the gym I go to). Does anyone else wimp out when it's freezing out?

I'm from GA living in MI....first off, I WOULD HAVE A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN IF IT WAS -7 HERE! And I probably will at the rate we're going -_-

Anywho, I genuinely hate winter so I around November when it really started getting cold, I made sure I always go straight to the gym from work. During the warmer months, I could go home, watch tv and then go. That won't happen now. I also started bringing my dinner to work with me.

I understand if you don't do it though! LORD! Maybe get some workout DVDs for the winter?

Oh dear. You must be new.

Last winter? Yeah. That was like a ****ing cakewalk of amazingness. Get ready girl.
  • Blondie1984
    Blondie1984 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    -7 isnt too much here for Canadians. I still run outside in this weather :)
  • Honeybea86
    Options
    No I don't skip the gym when it's freezing out. I go to the gym when it's freezing out so I don't have to work out in colorado frigid cold air.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Well it's -23 here and my car won't start, so maybe today, but otherwise no. It's actually always hotter than heck in the gym, I wish they'd dial it back a little.