Do you skip the gym in freezing weather?

Options

Replies

• amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    No I don't skip the gym because it's cold. If the roads are dangerous to drive on due to snow, I *might* skip but even then I would try. Freezing weather seems like a lame excuse to skip.
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    It's easier when I just have to go to my basement and pop in a DVD! It was 12 degrees this AM and will be colder as week goes on here in Boston area
  • DarkAngel262
    DarkAngel262 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I live in Houston. What is this cold weather you people speak of?
  • Marlys101
    Marlys101 Posts: 100
    Options
    I don't feel it's right or wrong to skip out. It was 11 below here yesterday and MN but I made myself go to Zumba last night. We just need to get through Jan. and spring is just around the corner. :)
  • DebbieMc3
    DebbieMc3 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    No. Bring a change of clothes and a towel. Even if there are no showers you can still clean up and dry off.
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    It was -47C (-53F) last night. I went to the gym because it was too cold to run outside.
    Get your *kitten* to the gym sister! :happy:
  • Mhaney
    Mhaney Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I skipped taekwondo a few weeks ago because of the rain.. but when it rains the parking lot goes under 3 inches of water
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    What difference does the temperature make? Does your gym not have a roof? Do you skip work, going to the movies, going out to eat if its cold?

Teach your body and mind it doesn't matter how cold or how hot it is..you will conquer it all
  • BigDave1050
    BigDave1050 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Unless your gym is outside like say Venice beach, CA. I say you have no excuse not to go. Its inside and you can exercise till your warm. Your not going to break walking to your car when your done.
  • PonyTailedLoser
    PonyTailedLoser Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    No way. I have no heat in my attic lair. The gym is where I go to get warm.
  • lh1626
    lh1626 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I am guilty! I skipped yestereday because it was soooo cold! I am an hour south of Milwaukee....we have not had any weather like this yet this winter, so I totally understand!

I did not want to walk out all sweaty in the nasty disgusting wind and cold, so I did skip. I know I should have gone, but I think the cold just zapped out all my energy! I know...excuses...excuses...... :sad:
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Sadly, sometimes :(

I walk to the gym but I have ashma so when it's -31, even walking to the gym can cause an ashma attack. A few weeks ago I got up the courage, bundled up like crazy, and walked there in a snow storm. Finally got to the parking lot and realised it was EMPTY, gym closed early due to the storm LOL.
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Absolutely Not! It is -11 here in WI and I still made it to the gym. I just make sure to bundle up!!! Hat covering my ears, hood up, mittens on and scarf! No excuses ;)
  • nekosimba
    nekosimba Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Awh, that's cute...it's -42 here in Mantioba....and yes, it is really hard to even want to go to work in the mornings, nevermind go work out.
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I can't say its as cold here (NY) as it is near you, but we also had some snow come down kinda hard last night right when I was supposed to goto the gym...and even though prudence said for me to not get in the car, I couldn't bear the thought of missing it.....I guess I've change some....keep it up guys!!

anyone who wants an friend in this fight, friend me up!! and let's do it.
  • NeedANewFocus
    NeedANewFocus Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    GO TO THE GYM! BUNDLE UP!

It was -1 when I got in my car this morning at 5:30 AM to get over to the gym (I live in Iowa) but I dress in layers, so that way even when I leave sweaty the cold air can't get to me!

I really wouldn't suggest skipping the gym, because the habit of skipping is usually easier to maintain than the habit of going and it can get you into a nasty pattern.

If it is that big of a deal for you, make sure you at least workout at home. Do a dvd (Insanity, Jillian Michaels, yoga, whatever!) Just make sure you get moving, don't let the winter hibernation slow you down!

agreed.....winter weather is just an excuse to keep having excuses . make it happen. dress in layers. create a space at home and do some workouts at home. too many tools at our disposal to say stop all together.
  • dearly4ever
    dearly4ever Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I hate the cold but I try not to. It was below 0 last night in Madison, WI with windchills close to -30 if not lower. I just layered up and I went in. The only thing that makes me skip is maybe a winter blizzard.
  • BreeNJesse
    BreeNJesse Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Never!
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    I just got home from work, it's around 7:30am. Usually I hit the gym on my way home, but right now in Milwaukee it's -7 out, so cold it's painful! Am I wrong for skipping the gym when it's that cold out? I don't want to go outside all sweaty (there's no showers at the gym I go to). Does anyone else wimp out when it's freezing out?

I have a son at Marquette, and he just sent me a pic of the forecast there and asked me if he really had to go to class! Ha!

I'd wimp out, but I'm in Houston.

ha! i was gonna say hell yeah i would skip the gym. are you kidding me. but then again i live in north texas. im pretty sure the gym wouldnt even be open if it was that cold. true story. i dont even know what -7 feels like nor do i want to. hooray for all you that can withstand those temps.
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    To Canadians: Remember, -7 f equals about -21c. Not that it's worth skipping the gym (in my opinion), but it is genuinely cold (not the worst temp, but cold). I'm pretty sure she's not counting windchill because we've had some cold temps here in the Midwest U.S. this week.