1121314151618»

Replies

• sandrabesterdonnelly
    Options
    my calorie intake iss 1500 and I can usally stay under
  • mcflat29
    mcflat29 Posts: 2,159 Member
    Options
    How do people go over?! I'm having a hard time getting anywhere close to the calories I need. Sure I like food, but I guess I don't eat enough... :blushing:
  • hnrigdon
    hnrigdon Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Maybe 1200 calories isn't right for you. Also, I know you said your exercise wasn't where it needs to be, but exercise is the only way to gain calories for the day. It's whats supposed to be the motivator.
  • jennyrae3
    jennyrae3 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this for 14 months now. I've been able to lose 34 lbs. One thing you need to remember is that this is for your life time and not for an instant result. I've dieted several different times and always gained it back plus some. This time, I've made a life change. You have to take it in baby steps. Your habits didn't form over night and can't be changed over night. I looked up on some medical websites and discovered a good rule of thumb is to take your weight, example if you weigh 200 pounds, add a zero to the end and use that as your starting point for your daily intake. so you would start (weight 200lbs) at 2,000 caolories per day.(always round up to the nearest 100. This may take a few days or a few weeks to get used to. Once you find yourself thinking, this is too easy or not having the hungry growling belly then decrease it by 200 caloies and keep adjusting and before you know it you have shrank your stomach enough that 1,200 per day is nothing. I'm to the point now that it is sometimes hard for me to get in my 1,200 calories, yet I do exercise now anywhere from 500-700 calories per day. I also have changed the things I eat. I stay away from empty calories, especially sweets like candy bars. By the way the 100 calories snacks and cereal bars for 100 calories or less are a great help in trying to stay with in your calorie goal. they saved me on several different days. Keep your chin up, at least your on the right track in trying to make a difference. keep it up. If I can do this then You can too!
  • pjevne
    pjevne Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    exercise - portion control - low calorie snacks in between
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Some of the people who are supposedly on 1200/day arent counting the 12 cokes they drink. Others are plainly not counting whole binges. This is merely a fact of human nature. I once had a 380 pound client tell me she only ate 800 per day for 4 weeks, until her kids ended up tattling on her. (more like 3300). You can tell who these people are by the attitudes they have.
    "eating 1200 but still no weight loss, is it because of the sugar???! or the fat?!?! someone help i'm a biological anomaly!!"

So aside from those people,

The ones that are doing the 1200-1800 are losing weight. You can tell from their amazing progress posts and updates. They are usually wearing big smiles and stances of self affirmation...it just gets better and better from there. They want to know more about nutrition, they are hungry to try new exercise programs. It's literally a change in lifestyle. But the things that led them there were hard to do. Very hard.

For someone starting out, unfamiliar with a severe deficit like 1200, set it higher. much higher, but be honest and stick to it. slip ups happen, but set a realistic goal where you're not crashing the weight off, but a moderate decrease. Remember, whatever you do, in the end, you're the one responsible for the good or the bad that follows! Good luck.
  • jennyrae3
    jennyrae3 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    by the way, I'm only 5'1" and am currently about 5 pounds from my goal. us short people can't carry our weight very twell. :(
  • Laur5567Russ
    Options
    I've just started My Fitness Pal and I've found that Slimfasts and protein-filled meal replacement bars work for me. I've been drinking Slimfast for 2 months now. I drink 1 for breakfast, 1 for lunch, a mini snack South Beach Diet shake for afternoon (100 calories) and that usually leaves me about 600 calories for dinner, which is perfect. The protein in slimfasts keeps me full for about 3 hours.
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    You can eat a lot on 1200, it just depends what you eat.
  • kelsanderson78
    kelsanderson78 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Some of the people who are supposedly on 1200/day arent counting the 12 cokes they drink. Others are plainly not counting whole binges. This is merely a fact of human nature. I once had a 380 pound client tell me she only ate 800 per day for 4 weeks, until her kids ended up tattling on her. (more like 3300). You can tell who these people are by the attitudes they have.
    "eating 1200 but still no weight loss, is it because of the sugar???! or the fat?!?! someone help i'm a biological anomaly!!"

So aside from those people,

The ones that are doing the 1200-1800 are losing weight. You can tell from their amazing progress posts and updates. They are usually wearing big smiles and stances of self affirmation...it just gets better and better from there. They want to know more about nutrition, they are hungry to try new exercise programs. It's literally a change in lifestyle. But the things that led them there were hard to do. Very hard.

For someone starting out, unfamiliar with a severe deficit like 1200, set it higher. much higher, but be honest and stick to it. slip ups happen, but set a realistic goal where you're not crashing the weight off, but a moderate decrease. Remember, whatever you do, in the end, you're the one responsible for the good or the bad that follows! Good luck.

Good post :) Especially this part: "eating 1200 but still no weight loss, is it because of the sugar???! or the fat?!?! someone help i'm a biological anomaly!!" You need to be honest with yourself and track everything to get anywhere
  • leypb
    leypb Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    People have different metabolisms and different bodies. I know somebody who eats just one meal a day and that is in the evening! She has been living off 500 calories a day for a long time and has lost a lot of weight. Of course, people tell her this isn't healthy and perhaps rightly so, but I would find that impossible! Personally, I struggle with 1500, but I tended to eat 3000-3500 before starting to try and eat better and lose weight. I find just an hours walking a day ( or more efficient exercise helps) just to give you that little bit extra. Also, I go over a couple of days a week and still 3lbs a week, due to understating food/underestimating metabolism and exercise etc...
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    i think the OP is getting flack where it maybe isn't deserved. she said she's been at this a long time, and already lost weight.
    yes there's a learning curve in understanding cc and measuring, but I applaud her effort and determination. she is hungry for ideas, recipes, workouts that work for her. I think this is a lifestyle change for her. not everyone is satisfied on radishes and carrot sticks. try green bean 'fries' they rock! i sent some links to you already. hope that helps.

We're all rooting for you. if you're having a bad, awesome, or just a gloomy day, post about it and we'll cheer you on.
    that's why we're here :)
  • ambermadore
    ambermadore Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I was 364 lbs when I started and had a huge appetite. The first week of my diet was horrible. I was starving all the time, but I have iron-strong will-power. I forced myself (its very, very VERY hard!) to stay on track with my diet. I ate A LOT of veggies, because they have basic calorie intake and they would fill me up. The second week was a little easier, and the third was even easier than that. After the third week, my stomach shrunk down to accommodate my eating habits. Once that happened, I very rarely got hungry anymore, unless I was skipping my regular meals, etc. You have to plan more than anything. Make yourself breakfast lunch and dinner. Don't eat anything without knowing whats in it (read the nutritional guide!) and actually commit to recording everything you eat. Don't cheat, because you'll just cheat yourself. I think a lot of people eat more than they record on their diaries. You can do it, one day at a time. :) Don't give up and just get yourself moving more. It's always hard to exercise when you're really obese, but I'm living proof that you can do it :)
  • NewMnky1
    NewMnky1 Posts: 264
    Options
    I eat 1100 a day (please reserve your comments on that, it is Dr supervised). You can look at my diary. I eat four times a day and do not feel hungry. The odd time at night I will have a snack after dinner. But it really is about food choices. Over time your body does adjust to and gets used to eating less than you used to, it just takes time, but after that you will find you get fuller faster and don't need to eat as much to feel full.
    I do not cheat on what I record. I record everything I eat and drink, good or bad. I think that is the only way to be honest with yourself and make weight loss a success.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!