• WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    kerfufflers gonna kerfuffle.

46345900-27ce-47ea-b232-4790295da3fe.jpg
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Can we add that "real women" have all different kinds of body types, not just curves? We can all be beautiful and feminine even if we have a stick figure and no boobs.
  • nygrl4evr
    nygrl4evr Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Thank you! :drinker:
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Can we add that "real women" have all different kinds of body types, not just curves? We can all be beautiful and feminine even if we have a stick figure and no boobs.

Just don't even say "real women." Just don't. It's only used as a way to put down some other group of women.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I understand what you're saying, but when somebody throws pictures out there, they should expect comments that run the gamut from good, bad, and indifferent.

When someone is down 50 pounds and has another 50 to go, people are all kind of supportive. The problem is how rough the comments are on pics of people who really have achieved their goals and have reached envy-enducing figures. That of course is the problem IMO, envy.

And yes, all my usual snark aside, body shaming is against the rules.

I wish everyone was supportive for progress posts but as I mentioned yesterday, there were a TON of people defending the very fit girl and accusing others of body shaming. A post a week or so ago came up with a girl who lad lost 30lbs or so and she posted pics of herself fin her underwear. She still had a ways to go but by now means was wearing plus sized clothes. I saw many people who cried 'body shaming' yesterday making comments on that girls post such as, "that was scary", "it was not pretty" or "I am scarred by her underwear pics".

The hypocrisy is what really p!sses me off.

If you're addressing the thread I think you are, it was an exception and yes she was barely wearing any clothes with the "oh snap" attitude like she had conquered world hunger. Clueless arrogance isn't attractive either

That whole thread was not about body shaming. It was about being shocked by someone topless in a thong, which is a clear violation of the TOS. Topless in a thong with inappropriate body hair protruding from what little she chose to wear is not pretty no matter what size a person is.

She would have gotten kudos in a bikini, in a jog bra, in yoga shorts, in larger underpants, etc. But that was exhibitionism. If I want to see that, I would go to Craigslist or some other place where that is considered fine.

And yes, I'm in a swimsuit. That's my whole point. And yeah, I have many areas on my body that I'm still ashamed of. But I'd never tell someone else to be ashamed of those areas.
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options

This ^^^ AND ...................
    Just don't even say "real women." Just don't. It's only used as a way to put down some other group of women

THIS
  • jfrog123
    jfrog123 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I agree with you Patti! I had wls over 10 years ago. I lost alot of weight, and gained about half of it back. Over the past couple of years on here I have managed to get rid of the weight I regained by eating better and moving more. I recently had someone say to me, "I bet you feel even better this time than you did before, because you lost it the real way this time. You can't rely on the surgical quick fix anymore." Excuse me? I lost it the real way? Does that mean I lost it the fake way the first time? Haters gonna hate. :glasses:
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    Me likey this.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I understand what you're saying, but when somebody throws pictures out there, they should expect comments that run the gamut from good, bad, and indifferent.

When someone is down 50 pounds and has another 50 to go, people are all kind of supportive. The problem is how rough the comments are on pics of people who really have achieved their goals and have reached envy-enducing figures. That of course is the problem IMO, envy.

I wish everyone was supportive for progress posts but as I mentioned yesterday, there were a TON of people defending the very fit girl and accusing others of body shaming. A post a week or so ago came up with a girl who lad lost 30lbs or so and she posted pics of herself fin her underwear. She still had a ways to go but by now means was wearing plus sized clothes. I saw many people who cried 'body shaming' yesterday making comments on that girls post such as, "that was scary", "it was not pretty" or "I am scarred by her underwear pics".

Okay... that chick was damn near naked which violates forum rules. I didn't see all those comments, but I suspect that they weren't necessarily referring to her body.

No. What happened was she posted pictures of herself bra-less and everyone wondered why no bra. She got defensive and made the remarks that people were hating on her and jealous of her boobs. No matter the suggestions or support, it came back constantly to everyone hating on her when no one really was. The underwear was a thong, to note..and included butt shots...with some curlies hanging out (if you know what I mean).

Many people told her nice progress but that her pictures were violations and not appropriate. And as I said, her attitude provoked a lot of the snarky response. And this happened on BOTH threads she posted, one day after the other. She went in for a third, but quickly changed her mind, thank goodness.
  • 00sarah
    00sarah Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    You better find some body to loooooove
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options

Topless in a thong with inappropriate body hair protruding from what little she chose to wear is not pretty no matter what size a person is.

I agree. No one wants to see topless in a thong. Totally unattractive. Yuck. Eww. No way, Jose.

:noway:
  • NZhellkat
    NZhellkat Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Thanks for a well balanced post all about common sense that doesn't seem to be common anymore. And I totally agree with the person who posted that what you say about others is a much bigger reflection on the sort of person YOU are. Not the person you are shaming, criticizing, or belittling with your choice of words.
  • shoshi68
    shoshi68 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    ew, gross, and disgusting should not be used when describing a body type you may not prefer.

those words make me hissy.

Exactly.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    I loved this post!

The only thing I would add is that I've seen a lot of body shaming for people with eating disorders on here. And while it is unhealthy and painful to look at bodies that are fairly emaciated, it is never anyone's right to pass judgement. Pro-anas can be frustrating to deal with, as eating disorders are complicated things and people will stubbornly stick to self-destructive patterns, but body shaming never helps.

Sorry if that's a little off topic.

OP, you are lovely. :flowerforyou:
    I have to agree with this. Body shaming of any body type is just wrong.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

If you're addressing the thread I think you are, it was an exception and yes she was barely wearing any clothes with the "oh snap" attitude like she had conquered world hunger. Clueless arrogance isn't attractive either

That whole thread was not about body shaming. It was about being shocked by someone topless in a thong, which is a clear violation of the TOS. Topless in a thong with inappropriate body hair protruding from what little she chose to wear is not pretty no matter what size a person is.

She would have gotten kudos in a bikini, in a jog bra, in yoga shorts, in larger underpants, etc. But that was exhibitionism. If I want to see that, I would go to Craigslist or some other place where that is considered fine.

And yes, I'm in a swimsuit. That's my whole point. And yeah, I have many areas on my body that I'm still ashamed of. But I'd never tell someone else to be ashamed of those areas.

Yet how many people bringing the underwear belonged to the 'Boobie Friday' group or have posted similar pics until the mods started cracking down on that hardcore? I know I have posted pics like that before and lest we not forget who all participated in the 'Snarky fat chics in bikinis thread'. Since some people have received warnings or strikes over pics like that it's ok to make crappy comments about that girl? Maybe she was new to the forums or had seem people posting similar pics, maybe she did it intentionally but I don't think that makes the comments ok. . Let the mods deal with the TOS violations.

Do I belong in a bikini? hell no, but I had confidence for the first time in years. I went from refusing to go out in public because I was so ashamed of my body to liking what I saw in the mirror and it was an incredible feeling.

ETA: I only saw one thread, and she was wearing a bra and nude colored underwear, but it was front facing so I never saw that it was a thong. IMO, it wasn't a bad pic, even if it was against TOS.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Yet how many people bringing the underwear belonged to the 'Boobie Friday' group or have posted similar pics until the mods started cracking down on that hardcore? I know I have posted pics like that before and lest we not forget who all participated in the 'Snarky fat chics in bikinis thread'. Since some people have received warnings or strikes over pics like that it's ok to make crappy comments about that girl? Maybe she was new to the forums or had seem people posting similar pics, maybe she did it intentionally but I don't think that makes the comments ok. . Let the mods deal with the TOS violations.

Do I belong in a bikini? hell no, but I had confidence for the first time in years. I went from refusing to go out in public because I was so ashamed of my body to liking what I saw in the mirror and it was an incredible feeling.

No body said she shouldn't be in a bikini, etc. They just told her the rules, questioned why she took the bra off and wondered about the thong. No one made fat comments.

I know for sure the 2nd post had the thong picts (can't remember if it was in the first..I don't think it was). The first and second had the braless picts. Either way, she had time to edit the photos and she chose not to. You may be thinking of the double post she made when she was doing the first post. She said she wanted to test to make sure she could post picture. That one had only one picture and she just put M in the title. So...she actually had three threads..forgot about that one..lol.
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I love your original points Pattie!
  • asamuels85
    asamuels85 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    #7 - instead of commenting or arguing with someone that is annoying use the ignore feature. IT.IS.AWESOME!

WAIT..... WHAAAAAAT?? You mean to tell us that we have a choice to ignore ppl? Huh, i thought it was required that you post on EVERY thread you read... where's that button? ;D

Tom foolery i say
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I love your original points Pattie!

Thank you, Mel!