Anyone else only working out at home ONLY

Options

Replies

• lmcmahon1221
    lmcmahon1221 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I work out at home, first thing in the morning. I have a variety of DVDs (the Firm, Jillian, Crunch) plus a treadmill and a bike. I also take my dog for a walk every morning after my workout. I tried going to the gym (in fact, we have one on the campus where I work) but I just can't get motivated to get there during lunch or after work. It's easier for me to just roll out of bed and get the workout over with!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Hi, like yourself I can't afford the gym yet, so only workout at home. This is a VERY recent achievement - "New Year, New Me!" type of thing - which i started approx 3 weeks ago. At the moment I have been working up to 15 mins a day on my exercise bike. I know to some this may NOT sound like much, yet to me (being morbidly obese & extremely unfit) this is something I'm quite proud of.

I can't wait to be able to start going for long walks again.....ONE DAY!!!! :wink:

"Walk at Home" DVDs are also a great way to get started. You can definitely do these at your own pace. Start slow & build up when you're ready.

Here's a video clip.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqWhX-RB1s0&feature=related
  • WIChelle
    WIChelle Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I workout at home. I have a ridiculous amount f equipment so i have no excuses. I am working around a foot injury so I am currently using a total gym type machine , callenetics and mat Pilates.
  • shanander
    shanander Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm doing The Skogg System at home along with getting back into running on the treadmill. I have two kids and can no way plan a time to get out of the house, but I can always squeeze in a little something while the kids nap or play.

I am a huge fan of beachbody workouts. Love Turbofire and Chalean Extreme, but giving Kettlebells a shot right now.
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I only ever work out at home.

I have my own equipment and workout DVDs (right now doing Insanity) and it is much more convenient for me to do so at home.
  • Leola2011
    Leola2011 Posts: 192
    Options
    I only workout at home, yep. I hate gyms. It's hard enough some days to drag yourself into the workout area of your own home-- who needs the additional hurdles of car/traffic/locker room?

When you consider how much you can do with videos and/or inexpensive equipment like running shoes, dumbells, pullup bars, etc... I just don't see the point in a gym membership for myself.

Same here. I've never seen better results by being a gym member...and I've joined several. For me, working out in the comfort of my home is less intimidating, easier to work into my schedule, and definitely less expensive.
  • jacktin
    jacktin Posts: 24
    Options
    I work out mostly at home and love it :) I do step aerobics mostly and light weight training/resistance exercises.One day when I own a home, I will want a home gym room because I love it so much.We have a small gym at my apartments that I go to at times, but I really like working out at home more. I can watch/listen to/wear what I want, I can do small chores at the same time (running laundry,dishes,cooking food,etc.) and get to hit the showers in my own shower :) (I hate being sweaty and gross for too long). Working out only with my spouse or by myself also tends to be better for me because of my mental and physical health.

I did have a membership to 24hr Fitness when I could afford such things. The only thing I miss is the indoor pool. I love to swim and it is one of the best full body exercises because of my joints. Maybe one day I will get a pool with my future house :p
  • Moviegal77
    Moviegal77 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Walking the dog and playing Just Dance 4 on the PS3. Oh and taking the stairs as often as I can. I think the point is just to get off our butts and move, if you do that at home or the gym it does't matter, just move.
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Putting on music and dancing my *kitten* off. Literally. lol :)
  • mjt1975
    Options
    If you have a wii, I really like the Zumba games. They are fun and track your calorie burn (not sure how accurate it is though).
  • KellyDeitrick
    KellyDeitrick Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I do a Zumba 20 minute express workout...I try everyday. I don't have the time or funds for a gym membership, so I focus on my Zumba. I just recently bought The Biggest Loser Yoga and Ab Core workout DVD's for $ 3.50 each at my local K-Mart. Also, love to dance with my 5 year old.

Anything fun that gets you moving and your heart rate up will do wonders. Just remember to have fun with it!
  • marias2gaa
    marias2gaa Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I do Zumba on the wii its awesome! I have children so cant go out much but every chance I get I go to the park!
  • PositivelyFit74
    PositivelyFit74 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I only workout at home. I have a wide array of fantastic programs to keep me from being bored. And once I actually STUCK to it, I started seeing results. Who needs a gym?! :D
  • SloRunner25
    SloRunner25 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have my own treadmill so I'm doing Couch to 5K on that until the ice/snow goes away outside (I'm not hardcore enough to risk breaking something on the ice :smile: ). I'm almost through 30 Day Shred and next I have Ripped in 30. Also have Dance Central 3 and the gangnam style download so for fun I'll do some of that too. I'm 1 pound away from 15 pounds gone and will be 2 months into it on Friday. So you can do it without a gym.

Good luck and carry on! :drinker:
  • RezaCat
    RezaCat Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I work out at home ONLY as well. I worked with a trainer about a year ago and she gave some great tips and techniques and put together a notebook of exercises I can do at home with weights, an exercise ball and other reasonably priced home gym equipment.

My most favorite things to do though are the dvds from The Firm! They're fun, they're effective and you can usually get a few dvds priced pretty well. As it gets a bit warmer, I'll start running with my dog again - we like to race up and down the stairs (he usually wins - lol!) in our backyard and the basement steps.

Insanity and getting an in-home elliptical machine are next in my rotation of things to add to our growing home gym. Personally, I just feel like I have more options that get me moving in or near my house without the constant "pressure" of the trainers walking around soliciting new clients.

Hope this helps! Keep up the GREAT work(outs)!!
  • SwimSoccerTaxi
    SwimSoccerTaxi Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels DVD's are the BEST!!! I have 4 and rotate through them...they range from 20 minutes to 35 and I am soaked by the end! There is absolutely NO need to attend a gym...your best weights are your body weight. I did martial arts for years and was in the best shape of my life (to the envy of many friends) and I never lifted a single weight. Good luck and use this site as your motivator to get up in the am (or whenever you do your workout) and complete your routines!!!
  • beverlyl64
    Options
    I only workout at home. I'm currently doing Turbo Fire, but I also have Chalean Extreme, P90X, Insanity, Insanity Asylum and a few others.
  • perfectionisntme
    perfectionisntme Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I run outside and do strength training at home. I'm a big fan of circuit training and yoga, when I don't have time to run.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I work out at home. I find that if I have to go to the gym to exercise, I just don't go. I'm self-conscious working out in front of people and I live waaayyy out in the country so it'd take me 20 minutes just to drive there.

I have Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred, Tony Horton's P90, and The Wave & Get Chisel'd by The Firm. I mix it up a little. :)
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Cycling, walking, and dumbells at home. Gyms are to expensive for me.