Ladies: Shut up and Listen

Options

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy (at a weight that I can do no more than 4-5 reps at a time) and look how bulky I've become - I'm the one on the right. :laugh: I lift because it makes me stronger, it looks good, it's good for my immune system, and it helps preserve my aging bones. Extra unexpected bonus: my race times have improved! :drinker:
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    You know what, its never too late either. At 56 yrs I kept reading about how we should be doing heavy weight lifting. I could not get out to a gym so I bought heavy adjustable dumbells and a bench and started lifting. I just love lifting so much that after just 3 weeks I have filled my spare bedroom with squat stands, barbell and large weight plates and have started Stronglifts 5 x 5.

Yes, I wish that I had started much, much earlier, but its really not too late to start. The buzz from lifting, even for us oldies, is amazing. :smile:
  • tyresank
    tyresank Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Well said! I am over 50, I started weight training 6.5 mths ago and it has completely re-shaped by body. I now have a waist! I have been on a healthy living plan for 15 mths, and I am down 104 lbs. The last 55 since weight training. Now I have a personal trainer, and he is worth every penny, I am not sure I could have been as much in such a short time on my own, but regardless I know that even without one you will see vast improvements. I am not getting bulky by any means and I am hoping this will help some of my arthritis issues over the long haul. I want to avoid any knee replacements if possible. To date I have no bone loss whatsoever. It's all good!!
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Yes this, wish I had started strength training sooner. It was always...when I get to such and such weight. Well when I finally gave myself that kick in the pants I started with push-up (that's right no "s")and almost cried at how pathetically weak I had become.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Shut up is such a rude thing to say to people that I can't read your post.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    well said. I really wish years ago when I was trying things like Weight Watchers, they would have instilled the importance of different aspects of exercise. I'm going to be 30 this year and am glad that I'm at least learning it now.
  • kirstie3281
    kirstie3281 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Well Said!!!
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options

but you still came in to post huh???
  • Corruptkitten
    Corruptkitten Posts: 157 Member
    Options

I'm sorry to hear she broke her, hip but yes, that is a good example.

My grandmother use to be 5'7"....she's now 5'3"

All the women in my family have horrible health and joke that someday that'll be me too....no, no I don't think so. I refuse to go down that path

I feel you on that. My entire immediate family is obese, not that old, on meds, and constantly struggling to do their normal everyday tasks. Not me, Hell no! Awesome post and so true!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Great post, but I'm personally planning on staying young forever. :flowerforyou:
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Well said! I have mild Cerebral Palsy, and my doctors warned me early in life that if I didn't stay active and STRONG, I was going to be unable to tend to myself by the time I'm 55-60. I saw a doctor a few years ago and he told me that as active as I am, there's a chance I'll stay out of a wheelchair and be self-sufficient my whole life! I always make sure I'm doing pushups and horse stances (it's a karate thing - great for the thighs!) just so I have that chance. :)

you

are

an

inspiration!
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I am sure like minded people will praise your utter rudeness. Perhaps you should spend more time working on your abrasivness and less time ridiculing others. If you don't like what someone says about weight lifting, then speak your mind and move on. Those who don't want to do that have their own reasons. Condescending arrogance will motivate no one.
  • LMT2012
    LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    AMEN. Although, I seem to have the opposite problem. I love lifting and strength training, but you need a horsewhip to get me to do much cardio.
  • BellaFe
    BellaFe Posts: 323
    Options
    awesome!
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    NICE!!! Totally agree that you need strength training for health. Last night my husband and I were talking about equipment needs, and we concluded that spending money on weights is an investment in your current AND future health.

Wish I had discovered strength training early in my journey. Instead I figured it out after I'd reached my UGW, and have spent the last six months working to rectify my stupidity...
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Amen
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Well then I guess you lose out by being such a sensitive delicate flower. Maybe you could get over yourself??
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Since I've been seeing so many WOMEN complain that they don't want to lift weights or do any strength training because they're not trying to get ripped or bulk up or they just don't like to, please consider something:
    You won't always be young - you will age and you will become elderly and there are other factors besides weight loss to think about in regards to exercise and more specifically strength training.

Maintaining muscle mass as we age should be an important part of a healthy lifestyle as it contributes to skeletal strength and helps prevent injury. People with weak muscles are less able to maintain good posture, keep their balance, or live independently. As a result, diminished muscle mass makes you more prone to falls, breathing problems, and psychological problems such as depression.

You don't have to go get a gym membership and start lifting heavy weights. I don't go to the gym, I work out at home. I have hand weights. I incorporate strength training dvds into my routine.

There is NO WAY I'd be able to easily carry my 50lbs daughter, my purse, and her backpack from the car, THROUGH THE SNOW and to our entry way if I didn't do push ups, shoulder presses, bicep curls, lat raises, etc etc

There are soooo many reasons to incorporate strength training

And specifically to the newer members throwing temper tantrums like rebellious teenagers: These veteran MFP users are telling you this stuff because they've been there, done that and if you'd shut up and listen, their advice would save you a lot of time and tears.

Excellent post.
    Please continue "Being Awesome."
    :drinker:
  • nobadkitty
    Options
    Agree agree agree - women especially need to weight train. Calcium loss as we age (with or without supplementation) due to hormonal shifts and the aging process sets women up for osteoporosis. Huge risk factor for hip fractures and immobility. If at the very least WALKING with some weighted wrist and/or ankle wraps. Course, I prefer to lift the heaviest weights possible. And guess what, I don't care about my weight because I have seen intense improvement in my shape even with the few months I have weight trained.
  • EstiloPanama
    Options
    I haven't really encountered many females blatantly against strength training. I think most are just a bit intimidated by it, but it's mostly due to lack of education on weight training. I haven't purposefully lifted weights (I am started some strength training as I learn and educate myself), but I have always been strong. I think women are kind of supposed to be strong to take care of children and take care of things going on at home. I'm no weight lifter, but I can carry both my 3 and 4 year old kids as well as many, many bags of groceries. I guess I deserve a brownie..or cookie? Well, at this point, I'll take some ice cream, I guess. Maybe Ben and Jerry's. I haven't had that in a while. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.