Father brings his daughter into the men's locker room

Options
tuckerrj
tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
Really? This nimrod brings his 4 year old daughter into the men's locker room at the gym. I saw him do it a few weeks ago but couldn't catch him (I was too busy diving for a towel). What would you do? I lost it and confronted him. Probably didn't handle it too well. There's naked men walking around without towels. Am I insane or was this guy completely clueless?

Replies

• mandy5135
    mandy5135 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    If my husband took my daughter in the locker room, I would kill him.. That is totallly unacceptable. Our gym doesn't even allow children under 12 past the lobby except for kids zumba and stuff like that.
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Our gym allows it until age 2, then you have to use the family locker rooms (or only the same sex child in the locker room with you). 2 seems about right to me for that. Does your gym have family locker rooms he can use?
  • tuckerrj
    Options
    We have multiple family locker rooms. "What's wrong with you? This is a mens locker room and it's no place for a little girl!", I said. The morons reply? "Well she's four years old". . . . . Huh?
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    That's really not appropriate. D:
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    My dad used to take me into the men's locker room at the YMCA when I took swimming lessons. The story goes that I noticed a man with a long ponytail (it was the '70s) and said loudly "Daddy!! I never saw a girl with a penis before!!!"

At the Fitness Center where I work, children under 5 must be with their parent in the adult locker room, children over 5 must go to the children's locker rooms. Except for children with special needs.

I don't understand the problem really. Is it better to leave a little girl alone in the women's locker room and expect her to manage on her own and to trust that nobody shady is in there with her while she's uncared for? She's four. She can not go into a public locker room alone. She is much much safer being with her father where he can keep her safe and keep her with him.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    yuck yuck yuck... so inappropriate!
  • sarabeth120
    sarabeth120 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    That's really not appropriate. D:

^This.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't think twice if someone brought a 4 yr old boy into the women's locker room. I don't really see the big deal either. If there were family locker rooms available though then he's just an idiot.
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the problem really. Is it better to leave a little girl alone in the women's locker room and expect her to manage on her own and to trust that nobody shady is in there with her while she's uncared for? She's four. She can not go into a public locker room alone. She is much much safer being with her father where he can keep her safe and keep her with him.

You missed where he said there are multiple FAMILY locker rooms to use...where you can your other gender kid. No one is proposing sending an unsupervised 4 year old into the women's locker room.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I suspect he completely underestimates his four year old. This was definitely inappropriate.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I don't really see the issue.....then again I've never been in a man's locker room, so I don't know what goes on in there......
  • Bbwnomore2
    Bbwnomore2 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I myself would have a huge issue with this.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    yeah, this is not okay.
  • ammontague
    ammontague Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Albeit uncomfortable, I have seen many instances when men have had to bring their young daughters into the men's room of locker room. A good father will do that.
  • jtodacheeny
    jtodacheeny Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    While I TOTALLY AGREE that he should have used the family locker room instead of taking his daughter into the mens, he probably would never intentionally put his kiddo in a situation that would harm her. Yes, confront him about it. But to explode at him? He probably feels bad enough about something that was totally obvious to others but he was clueless about. A little tact can go a long way....
  • tuckerrj
    Options
    Ammon......NO! A good father will use the FAMILY LOCKER ROOM!
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    At our Y, they have a huge family locker room. Kids under nine aren't allowed in the adult locker rooms. Kids 9 and over have to go to the adult locker room of their sex, whether or not a parent is present. Any girl in a mens' locker room is inappropriate.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options

You missed where he said there are multiple FAMILY locker rooms to use...where you can your other gender kid. No one is proposing sending an unsupervised 4 year old into the women's locker room.

Yep, I did miss that. Ooops.
  • lisadiane41
    Options
    I have been to a gym and most of them now a day have daycare facilities. Was this a gym? And where was the mother? If it was the same sex no issue but this is your daughter she is going to ask questions.
  • OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    While Dad may think it's ok, if it makes others uncomfortable it's unacceptable. But he probably won't do it again ;)