1200, and why it won't work

Options

Replies

• aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Honestly I am fairly new to the forums at least, although I've been using MFP for a while to log meals for quite a while. I'm touched by the showing of support, and I am slowly getting to your individual questions!
  • PurpleCupcakes101
    Options
    Great info. Thanks for posting.
  • vbradylady
    vbradylady Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Great post! I was struggling at 1200 and just recently upped my calories. After reading all the science and many articles, I think I have discovered my problem
  • AshlieA96
    AshlieA96 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    wow read it all! Good info thanks for sharing....
  • dchannell
    Options
    Perfect timing. I am struggling with perhaps a totally different problem than some others here. I had gastric bi-pass in 2004 and went from almost 300 lb. down to 180 lbs. I managed to keep most of it off until last year when I fell and tore the ligaments in my knee. After micro fracture surgery I spent two months in a wheelchair and gained back to 234 lb. I started this program the 4th of January and due to hypertension and borderline diabetes, I also eliminated all sugar and artificial sweeteners including all carbonated beverages and also processed foods. I have literally become a totally different person. I cannot recall ever in my life feeling like I had control over my own body like I do now. My energy level has stayed through the roof every single day and my family is completely shocked, almost as much as I am at how different I feel. However, even though the 1200 calories of food is not a problem, I am actually struggling to continuously having to tweak my daily menus to add more food as I work out more. I am doing stretching everyday, the treadmill twice a day for 20-30 minutes and light weight training to build upper body strength every two or three days. I have lost 7 lbs. so far and I have no illusions I will lose more than a pound or so a week which is fine. I guess the biggest issue I have is that in order to get all the extra calories (after today's workout I am supposed to be eating an additional 700 calories above the 1200 programmed) I have set myself up on 6 smaller meals rather than three meals and a snack. I rarely can finish a meal and in the evening, I have little room for the evening snack. I am just never hungry. I know I am probably not getting enough to eat compared to how much I am exercising and I am really concerned I am "starving" my body by not eating enough. Anyone have suggestions?
  • jen_u_win
    Options
    Thank you for this! I swear you somehow heard a conversation I've been having since yesterday. :smile:
  • sarahevenstar
    sarahevenstar Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Nicely put. Thank you for posting.
  • Mamax143
    Options
    very informative thank you for sharing!
  • Dianak005
    Dianak005 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I really needed to hear this!!! I lost weight on Jenny craig in 2007 before I had my son. they had me on 1500 untill half way and then 1200. then they told me I would need to stay on that to maintain. I really didnt struggle on the 1200 while I was eating meals that were planed for me, but trying to do it on my own was another story. So I did reach my goal and then became pregnant right after and gained it back during and after my pregnancy. So now I am at it again but I really have read so much that suggests starting pretty high in calories and then droping them gradulally. You really laid it out and what I got from it is the only way people will maintain is to eat where they can eat forever once they reach their goal. My question is do you think that there is a certain way that people should get their calories of does it really come down to calories in calories out. I know you cant eat candy bars all day but say if you eat some bad choices as long as you stay in your calorie range will you still lose?
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    WHAT ABOUT CALS IN CALS OUT? NO?
  • tcompton70
    tcompton70 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Ok. So I'm curretly doing the 1200 calories and it is not working. I worked out for 4 months cycling 5-6 days a week burning 350-400 calories (per my heart rate monitor) and i only lost 5 lbs. My doctor put me at 1200, told me not to eat my exercise calories back and put me on a pill to help me stay at 1200. I'm currenlty trying to figure out what I should do. I'm 43 year old femail about 5'2" and currently at 210 lbs. Current goal is to loose 25 lbs. but ultimatly I want to loose 100 lbs.

I do not know your medical history or if you have any medical conditions, however, you may want to consult a dietitian and maybe find a new physician.

Secondly, knowing what your actual TDEE is of importance as this is where you can create your calorie deficit. Usually 15-20% below TDEE.

Take a look at this link. It offers great information and can offer some understanding. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/804485-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12?page=4

Thanks for the link. I just calculated my calories based on this link. Very eye opening. The calcs for Sedentary alone say I should be up to 1330 and with light activity up to 1596. So, I'm gonna increase my calories slowly along with my exercise intensity as aelunyu suggest.

Thanks Guys!!!
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    bump
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    This post is phenomenal. Which model do you use for BMR and TDEE calculations? This is where my problem seems to lie. I get so many different answers that I'm just not sure how much to eat! :)

^ Same issue!

Please review this to aid in your questions! It offers great information and advice! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/804485-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12?page=4

Did that. They show the 2 different ones which are literally over 1000 cals/day different. Hence my confusion! :)

I personally think that the calorie deficit should come from your actual TDEE (usually taking 250-300 calories from your TDEE to create the deficit.)
    [/quote

Okay, I am just trying to get an understanding on this. So if my TDEE is 2005, then I should in intaking around 1705 calories daily, plus eating back those that I burn during exercise? I'm just trying to make sure that I understand it and am going in the right direction lol
    No, if you use a deduction from TDEE, you don't eat exercise calories back as they should be figured in to your TDEE. Unless you figured it at sedentary. If you did, go back and run the numbers again with your workouts figured in.
  • dandandee
    dandandee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    very good point, it totally makes sense really. Just like with anything you want to learn you need to start at the base, then work your way up (or in this case, work your way down - calorie wise :P)

I think some people though are missing that you said 'convoluted result of trying to follow a plan like this for moderately to severely overweight individuals." as in: this is especially for people who have a lot of weight to lose.

For someone like me who only wishes to lose 15 pounds and didn't eat all that much extra in the first place, 1200 is perfectly reasonable.

thanks a lot, very motivating story and good info!
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    If any of you have questions on initial setpoints (where you should start), it's really a matter of where you are starting from. Obviously a girl trying to fit into her spring break bikini and wants to lose 5 pounds is different than a mother who wants to shed her pregnancy weight, or an older woman who is getting back into the rhythm of fitness.

There is no way I can establish setpoints without knowing some semi personal things about you. That requires a leap of faith.
  • jdsgigi
    jdsgigi Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • pamelapeldo
    pamelapeldo Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Excellent post. Thanks!
  • ImmaLocStar
    Options
    Great info! I do think a lot of people should read this so they can understand the progression which I think makes people feel defeated after a while.
    I haven't eaten my allotted 1420 and then 1330 calories since I started MFP and I don't feel starving. My husband has an allotment of 200 cals more than me daily and is ready to faint most days from hunger so I guess it also has a lot to do with how you "used" to eat as well. I had triplets 6 yrs ago and was supposed to eat 4200 cals a day and I wanted to die, I couldn't make it past 2000 of "healthy food". I can eat 6000 cals a day in junk food though.
  • brunetteavoxgirl
    brunetteavoxgirl Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
    MFP has me on like 1900 a day, before exercise; and my grandma looked at my app and told me it was wrong and I needed to eat 1200.
    I tried it. For a day. Doesn't work. I'm still so hungry after 1200 a day.
  • alimac92
    alimac92 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Very informative thank you!
    After 2 years at 1200 and not always eating my exercise calories and getting poor results on the scales, I think I will up my calorie intake.
    I feel so restricted and guilty if I go over my 1200! Although the most I have lost is 21 pounds I do have to say I have gone down in clothes sizes from 20/18 to 16/14 on top and 16 to 14/12 on the bottom. So something was working, however I'm changing the sedentary entry right now!

Thanx for giving me food for thought!
    :flowerforyou: