Father brings his daughter into the men's locker room

Options

Replies

• fleur_de_lis19
    fleur_de_lis19 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    If there is a family locker room, he clearly should be using that one. But I don't think its any of OP's business how a total stranger wants to manage his 4 year old daughter. I dare someone to confront me on how i raise my child. Not smart.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    ok fine, maybe im the only mother upset by this, but there are other ways to not have your daughter exposed to naked grown men. drop them at the kids club. no club? leave them at home. cant do that? get a sitter. or if you have to go to the gym and bring your kid, dress to work out before you leave, then go home and take a shower.

Don't go to New Zealand. My Dentist and his wife have a son that married a woman from New Zealand and they were taken aback at first that their grand daughter's were on the beach topless. They looked around and all of the children were like that.

Most cultures don't sexualize nudity like Americans do. Americans have issues.
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Unless that little girl is abused in any way it's really no one's place to say what her father should and shouldn't do. I use to bring my son into the women's restroom until he was old enough to be trusted to go alone. My mother did the same thing to my younger brother.

If the child is by the parent's side at all times and out of harms way then I see no issue. Now on the other hand if there's some creep in there waving his 3rd leg in front of that girl's face then call the cops on the creep, not the father.
  • Junken_Diraffe
    Junken_Diraffe Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    you're totally justified! i'd call the cops. endangerment of a child and all that.

Are you kidding me? The cops have important things to deal with. Not about a little girl who is in no way endangered being taken care of by her dad. Please don't waste important resources like this.

This is not what the police are for. If the OP was uncomfortable with the little girl seeing him naked, he should have brought it up with management of the gym.

do you even have kids? the guy is endangering his daughter. the police are supposed to protect and serve, protect the girl by throwing the dad in jail.

This guy is keeping his daughter safe by keeping her with him. And I have 2 kids, a boy and girl, age 5&6. There is nothing wrong with nudity. Its only a big deal when someone sexualizes it. Like you seem to be. My 5 year old son still showers with me on occasion. I suppose I should be in jail in your opinion?
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I'm sure the child predators really appreciate his willingness to make his 4 yr old daughter feel completely comfortable around grown naked men.

Because feeling frightened and ashamed at the sight of a grown naked man is how we should be raising our future women: be afraid girls, the mens are gonna rape you lolololol.

Also, if you think that's how child predators work, please don't ever have children.

Wondering if OP was so disturbed by this because he's a child predator himself. Did the sight of a little girl potentially seeing his wee-wee raise some odd feelings?

Seriously wish there was an eye-rolling icon available.

At what point did I say we should be raising our future women to be frightened and ashamed of any naked body be it a man or a woman's? I don't think it is appropriate to be exposing a small child to complete strangers who may be nude when there is another option available.

And yes, child predators will prey on children who feel comfortable being nude with them or being around them while they are nude, and they will be the first to tell them that it is no big deal ...it's just the human body... if you don't think this is how SOME (not ALL, let me clarify so you can't put any more words in my mouth) child predators work, please don't have children. I've raised 4 children and I've had experience with child predators... have you?

I too seriously wish there was an eye rolling icon
  • fleur_de_lis19
    fleur_de_lis19 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    you're totally justified! i'd call the cops. endangerment of a child and all that.

Are you kidding me? The cops have important things to deal with. Not about a little girl who is in no way endangered being taken care of by her dad. Please don't waste important resources like this.

This is not what the police are for. If the OP was uncomfortable with the little girl seeing him naked, he should have brought it up with management of the gym.

do you even have kids? the guy is endangering his daughter. the police are supposed to protect and serve, protect the girl by throwing the dad in jail.

I didn't realize I needed kids to know what the police are there for.
    The police don't want you calling them because someone's parenting choice is different than the decisions you would make. They should fine people for abusing calling the police.

Her dad did nothing wrong. She was in his care the entire time.
    If her dad sent her unsupervised into either locker room, I'd be more inclined to say the police should be called. There is nothing obscene or illegal about nudity in a locker room.

Thank you and not everyone has an issue with nudity.

Agree! Agree! Agree!

Exactly! People that have such an issue with nudity are the same ones that can wrap their heads around a mother breast feeding in public. Its a breast, its there to feed a child. Chill the f-out!! We walk naked around my daughter regularly. Its the human body, chill!!
  • Chopshopcop
    Chopshopcop Posts: 37 Member
    Options

The police don't want you calling them because someone's parenting choice is different than the decisions you would make. They should fine people for abusing calling the police.

If her dad sent her unsupervised into either locker room, I'd be more inclined to say the police should be called. There is nothing obscene or illegal about nudity in a locker room.

May or may not have done much good to call the police. Depends on the state where it occurred and how their law defines abuse or neglect. In TN, no police action could be taken, it does not meet the definition of abuse or neglect as set forth by the state law. Excerpts follow.

TCA 39-15-401

1. Any person who knowingly, other than by accidental means, treats a child under eighteen (18) years of age in such a manner as to inflict injury...didn't happen, no injury occurred - thus no abuse or neglect.

2. A parent or custodian of a child eight (8) years of age or less commits child endangerment who knowingly exposes such child to or knowingly fails to protect such child from abuse or neglect resulting in physical injury to the child. No abuse here either, again no injury.

3. "Knowingly" means the person knew, or should have known upon a reasonable inquiry, that abuse to or neglect of the child would occur which would result in physical injury to the child. He knowingly took the child into the locker room, but no injury occurred. ALL elements of a crime must be present, not just some of them. An injury must have occurred to be abuse.

4. Any court having reasonable cause to believe that a person is guilty of violating this section shall have the person brought before the court, either by summons or warrant. That means no arrest till a judge says so and issues a warrant. No probable cause arrest by an officer.

It wouldn't be covered by public indecency because locker rooms and showers etc are specifically exempt under statute and are not considered public places. TCA 39-13-517 Sec B

At best, an officer would have submitted a report to the state DCS and let them investigate the matter. But as with ALL crimes, the issue goes to intent...did he intend to expose the child to nude people? Or was he a father who just made a bad choice? If the intent is absent, in most cases, there is no crime.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options

Agree! Agree! Agree!

Exactly! People that have such an issue with nudity are the same ones that can wrap their heads around a mother breast feeding in public. Its a breast, its there to feed a child. Chill the f-out!! We walk naked around my daughter regularly. Its the human body, chill!!

I have zero issue with breast feeding in public, covered or uncovered, but I do have an issue with this. Nudity is one thing if the nude person is someone trusted, but he doesn't know all the men in the locker room. If he were to say, shower, she'd still be unsupervised. Is a room full of nude strangers the place for a child? Also, it is the men's room. They deserve to feel comfortable and have privacy. A 4 year old remembers things in detail, and I would be covering up if a four year old boy was in the locker room because it would make me feel uncomfortable. I know I'm not the only one who feels that way, either. (If you want to walk in front of your own child naked, that is perfectly fine, but it IS different than strangers).

edit to say: Throw him in jail? Child endangerment? LOL
  • wmoomoo
    wmoomoo Posts: 159 Member
    Options

This guy is keeping his daughter safe by keeping her with him. And I have 2 kids, a boy and girl, age 5&6. There is nothing wrong with nudity. Its only a big deal when someone sexualizes it. Like you seem to be. My 5 year old son still showers with me on occasion. I suppose I should be in jail in your opinion?

Are you comfortable showering in front of another 5 years old boy? There is a family locker room, but the dad didn't use it. Why is that? He can still watch her there and keep her safe.
  • lovelyladyJ21
    lovelyladyJ21 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    To me that's uncalled for.....

But I really don't have room to talk. I remember a couple of times while my husband was deployed I took my boys swimming (I had a 6 mos old and a 4 year old). I planned on taking them to the family restrooms but they put them inside the men and womens' locker rooms. Who ever thought of that was insane.

With my luck all of them were full and 2 out of the 4 were occupied with just one person so we had to stand there and wait. Of course I made my 4 year old son turn around and face the wall but I still had ladies screaming at me because he was too old.

Now if he didn't have access to a family bathroom that'd be a little different story but common utilize them when you have them. That is what they are there for!

Now I see alot of people are saying call the cops I think that is a little over the top. Talk to the parent first if you guys can't come up with a solution or he just refuses to listen take it to management.
  • teacherbell
    teacherbell Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Why do a lot of people here see a problem with a young girl in a men's room, but in my experience nobody bats an eyelash when a young boy is in the women's room with mother? Why the seemingly sexist viewpoint?

And to the comment that asked "where was the mother?" Um... not tied to the hip of the husband and child at ALL times... even if they are married. Can't a parent care for their own kid without the same-gendered parent?
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    ... i'd rather have my daughter fear grown men than be comfortable with them being naked.

If this is your real view on life, I feel VERY sorry for your daughter. I do not say this lightly, you need to seek help for your issues with men!
  • Junken_Diraffe
    Junken_Diraffe Posts: 716 Member
    Options

Are you comfortable showering in front of another 5 years old boy? There is a family locker room, but the dad didn't use it. Why is that? He can still watch her there and keep her safe.

If I am uncomfortable showering in front of someone else's child, I would draw a curtain, or wait a few minutes until the child isn't there. you aren't REQUIRED to get naked, just because you're in the locker room. you also aren't required to shower RIGHT THIS MINUTE. Your premise is flawed. Yes, I agree that the family locker room would have been the better choice, what i do not agree with is all the people saying this man is hurting his child by having her there.
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    iv seen wee boys older than 4 in the womens changing rooms with their mothers and no1 seems to care so why is it different for a father 2 do that?? are male bits wrong? As long as the child dsnt feel uncomfortable I dont see a problem, when shes old enough to feel uncomfortable then its weird!
  • annie7hudds
    annie7hudds Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that it is really no biggie. From the horror expressed one would expect that there were a whole line up of naked strippers shaking their willies around and slapping each others butts!

Most likely is that there were one or two men, who would be dressed or partly dressed - some maybe totally naked for a couple of minutes whilst drying off.

I used to take my son into the changing areas at the pool with me and in public toilets until he was about 9. Unfortunately he is tall for his age, so probably looked older, but I never had any issue with women complaining about him being in there.

Maybe in the UK we are a bit more liberal with regard to nudity - no one bats an eyelid at topless sunbathing on the beaches in Europe.

Fair enough -there are family changing areas says the OP - but may be they were full? Or closed for cleaning? It would be more effective to speak to gym management about this rather than ranting at the man in front ofhis child - making a bigger issue than necessary.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    ... i'd rather have my daughter fear grown men than be comfortable with them being naked.

If this is your real view on life, I feel VERY sorry for your daughter. I do not say this lightly, you need to seek help for your issues with men!

This! I know women who were raised to be afraid of men. It ends very, very badly.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    For me, this discussion just reinforces the need in public areas to have clear and consistent guidelines that are enforced. Some people have legitimate differences of opinion and some don't have an ounce of common sense or common courtesy.

We have very nice family changing rooms, so we keep the rules simple: in the men's or women's locker rooms, all the parts have to match, otherwise use the family rooms. Yeah, sometimes you might to wait 5 minutest. TS.

As a group, people are not that rational, especially when it comes to their kids. I guarantee that I'd we let 2 yr olds of mixed gender in the locker rooms, in no time at all, some helicopter parent would be bringing in teenagers
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    no not appropriate at all , and for vice versa, mother and son....gyms that allow children have family locker rooms, use those, thats why they have them, my gym doesnt allow children so I don't have this issue. But this situation would totally make me uncomforatable as well.
  • iandevlin
    Options
    I wonder how many people that are freaked out at the thought of a girl seeing a flaccid penis are imembrs of the NRA? This is a very American perspective. A lot of people seem to equate nudity with sex there, yet in most american movies people seem to have sex with their clothes on.

That said, if I brought my daughter into a changing room and someone reacted like that, I would want to protect my daughter from them and their attitudes to nudity.

Anecdote: My brother in law brought my newphew into the gents changing room and he asked loudly: "Daddy, how come that man's 'penie' is waaay smaller than yours?"
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Really? This nimrod brings his 4 year old daughter into the men's locker room at the gym. I saw him do it a few weeks ago but couldn't catch him (I was too busy diving for a towel). What would you do? I lost it and confronted him. Probably didn't handle it too well. There's naked men walking around without towels. Am I insane or was this guy completely clueless?

This is very much about culture. I'd not react if this happened to such a young child around here. Nudity is not a taboo, and kids have seen naked men before. I don't think it's a problem if boys that age go with their mothers either.

I do however understand that it's more of a taboo for you. But consider that the father may not have the same background as you, and to him, you are the person with the problematic worldview. You see a little girl in a locker room, and you think about abuse and inappropriate exposure. He sees a little girl in a locker room, and he sees a child too young for anybody to harm, accompanying her loving father. In some parts of the world, his is the sane and sensible approach.

It might at least be worth considering before you get in his face. A polite discussion about what is culturally acceptable might be better.