Father brings his daughter into the men's locker room

Options

Replies

• paint_it_black
    paint_it_black Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Have you used the family locker room and do you know if it is adequate?. The local swimming pools where i live have family 'cubicles', its basically a 3 ft square cell with barely enough room for 1 person to get changed nevermind a whole family. That being said, unless the child was there to change because she was using something in the facility she shouldn't have been there. Locker rooms do not need spectators.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    ok fine, maybe im the only mother upset by this, but there are other ways to not have your daughter exposed to naked grown men. drop them at the kids club. no club? leave them at home. cant do that? get a sitter. or if you have to go to the gym and bring your kid, dress to work out before you leave, then go home and take a shower.

Don't go to New Zealand. My Dentist and his wife have a son that married a woman from New Zealand and they were taken aback at first that their grand daughter's were on the beach topless. They looked around and all of the children were like that.

Most cultures don't sexualize nudity like Americans do. Americans have issues.

Most Americans I know are not like the people in this thread. Honestly, I'm American and have lived in the U.S. all but a few years of my life, and I've never heard the garbage spewing out in this forum about abuse, police, etc. There seems to be a group in here afraid of their own shadows and that see nudity as equal to sex. Its definitely not representative of this country. I'm also pretty sure that no one would walk up to a guy in the locker room and do what the OP says he did.
  • Unforgotten13
    Unforgotten13 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I don't think I understand the problem, but I was raised with Native American beliefs, so nudity is whatever to me and most people in my clan. People nowadays make way too big of a deal out of seeing a naked body.
  • Unforgotten13
    Unforgotten13 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna go call my Dad and thank him for NOT exposing me to naked men when I was a little girl. OMG gross. :noway:

A few years ago I remember some little boy (about 5 or 6) in the women's locker room. He was staring wide-eyed, pointing at the women and yelling things like "Wow, look at those hangers!" and "That's a hairy one!" and stuff like that. :tongue: I did not disrobe in front of him. So I'm not really a fan of adults exposing themselves in front of children in general.

Everybody's got their own opinions, though. :drinker:

This is an example of HORRIBLE parenting, not a typical 5/6 year old. They don't think those things on their own, someone taught them to say that. If a child is raised the correct way, they might POSSIBLY ask a question out of curiosity if they haven't seen the opposite sex nude before. My daughter, the way I'm raising her, would simply not notice. Seriously. My husband and I both walk around naked a LOT during the summer. I live in Texas, and we can't afford to keep our thermostat at 72 degrees. Nudity isn't anything to us. It doesn't matter. My husband is a bit more shy than me, mostly due to his VERY conservative upbringing, while I was raised Native American, but I've presented this thread to him, and even HE says what the F**K is the biggie? She is FOUR, not 8 or 9.
  • Eve1972
    Eve1972 Posts: 297
    Options
    I don't really understand what's wrong with a four year going into the men's locker room with her father. So she might see a penis here and there. It's not like the men are smacking around their junk. My point is, she's 4. She doesn't see it as anything else except men with body parts like her father. Its not like seeing a nude man is traumatizing.

Unless they're doing the helicopter...that could very well be traumatic to see.

Seriously, eh??!! Not a big deal in the LEAST.
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I don't really see the issue.....then again I've never been in a man's locker room, so I don't know what goes on in there......

i'm on the same side as you. i think people in this thread find it despicable that this 4 year old girl is being "exposed" to naked male bodies, but in my opinion that is a cancerous side effect of modern society that the nude male form is somehow supposed to scar the child for the rest of her life.

please. that is our natural environment (nudity). to think it will naturally scar a child is stupidity on stilts.
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    GROSS....
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Ammon......NO! A good father will use the FAMILY LOCKER ROOM!

Absolutely! It also ticks me off when mothers bring their sons into the women's locker room when there are Family rooms for that. I'm not talking little 2 year olds, I'm talking 5 year olds. Take them to the Family Room!
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't think twice if someone brought a 4 yr old boy into the women's locker room. I don't really see the big deal either. If there were family locker rooms available though then he's just an idiot.

^^ Agreed. It's your hang up not the little girl's or her dad's.

There's nothing inappropriate about a naked body.
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Maybe OP was worried she might point and say "that's like daddy's... only smaller"
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    you're totally justified! i'd call the cops. endangerment of a child and all that.

Are you kidding me? The cops have important things to deal with. Not about a little girl who is in no way endangered being taken care of by her dad. Please don't waste important resources like this.

This is not what the police are for. If the OP was uncomfortable with the little girl seeing him naked, he should have brought it up with management of the gym.

do you even have kids? the guy is endangering his daughter. the police are supposed to protect and serve, protect the girl by throwing the dad in jail.

Um.....the father brought his kid into a locker room. He didn't push her into a den of hungry lions! Would you rather he have left her outside by herself?!

This is getting blown WAY out of proportion!
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Yes, you are insane. Or more likely just a "nimrod". There is nothing wrong or strange about a parent bringing their four year old child of the opposite gender into the dressing rooms, showers, restrooms, etc. providing the parent remains there with the child. If this guy had brought his young daughter into the change room and left her sitting in there while he went out for a coffee, that would indeed be creepy and horrible, and definitely grounds for a quick call to the cops.

If there are family changing rooms, I think it's considerate and best if those are used by families. If your gym does indeed have those rooms, I think you should have gone to the manager and spoken to him or her about the issue rather than confronting the dad when he's got his daughter with him. It's totally inappropriate and weird of you (or anyone else) to behave that way, especially in front of a young child, and I don't blame the dads in this thread who have ummm... strongly cautioned others against doing this to them when they're out with their kids.

Naked men and women aren't automatically sexual, predatory, or pedophiles due to their lack of clothing! This bizarre hysteria surrounding nudity and particularly the nude male body has got to stop. I'm embarrassed for all you weirdos, seriously.
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Ammon......NO! A good father will use the FAMILY LOCKER ROOM!

Judgemental much?? Yes it made you uncomfortable, but i don't think you can say he is not a good father because he made a decision that made you uncomfortable and you don't agree with. Yes, he probably should have used the family locker rooms, but to react and freak out on him and then to insinuate he is not a good father....seems a little harsh.
  • Tshawn
    Tshawn Posts: 1
    Options
    That's just wrong! I take my 10 & 12 year old sons in the locker room and still feel uncomfortable about it. No one wants to see some 50+ year old fat guy walking around naked. We have one guy who walks around, pees, shaves and whatever..all while 100% buck naked!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm surprised so many find it innappropriate. I don't see the issue really, I mean they're just young children, few people would think twice about a 4 year old boy going into the ladies room (which I have seen so many times I couldn't count)

I used to go swimming with my dad and our local pool allowed boys in the girls changing rooms, and vice versa until 8 years old. I used to go with him until I was about that age.

There were no specific family rooms. I know that there was a family/group changing room as part of the ladies (you had to go through the ladies to get to it) but I'm not sure about in the mens. Although, there were individual changing cubicles and I used to go in there always, regardless of which changing room I was in, so I don't recall ever seeing any grown men's bits dangling about all over the place.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I'm with the crew that doesn't understand the big deal. It's a 4y/o ffs. I don't understand what kind of harm that could do to anyone (kid or other people in the room).

I agree that if there are family rooms, those should obviously have been used, but maybe he didn't know about them.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    If he's not willing to use the Family locker room, then perhaps he should get a sitter or NOT workout that day.
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    i agree a young girl should not be in a room full of naked men..anything could happen

Really?!?? What would happen to her with her father RIGHT THERE!! I doubt he is going to let her leave his side.
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    My dad used to take me into the men's locker room at the YMCA when I took swimming lessons. The story goes that I noticed a man with a long ponytail (it was the '70s) and said loudly "Daddy!! I never saw a girl with a penis before!!!"

At the Fitness Center where I work, children under 5 must be with their parent in the adult locker room, children over 5 must go to the children's locker rooms. Except for children with special needs.

I don't understand the problem really. Is it better to leave a little girl alone in the women's locker room and expect her to manage on her own and to trust that nobody shady is in there with her while she's uncared for? She's four. She can not go into a public locker room alone. She is much much safer being with her father where he can keep her safe and keep her with him.

This ^^^^ . I have a six year old daughter and if she's at the Y with her dad, they try to use the family locker rooms, but they are often occupied by self conscious singles who prefer to drop a deuce in private. Pisses me the hell off. But at any rate, I'm by no means a nudist, but I also don't view nudity as a bad thing. She has a little brother. She knows what he's got. She knows what I've got. My husband tries to park her facing the lockers and does the best he can to shield her from penises in her face, but if she sees one, I'm not gonna freak. How is it any different than seeing the naked old women walking around the women's locker room? I'd rather have her with him and know she's safe.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Yes, you are insane. Or more likely just a "nimrod". There is nothing wrong or strange about a parent bringing their four year old child of the opposite gender into the dressing rooms, showers, restrooms, etc. providing the parent remains there with the child. If this guy had brought his young daughter into the change room and left her sitting in there while he went out for a coffee, that would indeed be creepy and horrible, and definitely grounds for a quick call to the cops.

If there are family changing rooms, I think it's considerate and best if those are used by families. If your gym does indeed have those rooms, I think you should have gone to the manager and spoken to him or her about the issue rather than confronting the dad when he's got his daughter with him. It's totally inappropriate and weird of you (or anyone else) to behave that way, especially in front of a young child, and I don't blame the dads in this thread who have ummm... strongly cautioned others against doing this to them when they're out with their kids.

Naked men and women aren't automatically sexual, predatory, or pedophiles due to their lack of clothing! This bizarre hysteria surrounding nudity and particularly the nude male body has got to stop. I'm embarrassed for all you weirdos, seriously.

Well said!