What food's calories have you been shocked by?

Options

Replies

• war1575
    war1575 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The 2 things that really surprised me are:

Bisquits from Popeye's Chicken - 260 cals/ea
    Beer - even Lite Beer has 60-90 cals/ea which isn't bad if you have 1, but have 10 on a friday or saturday and your whole day is shot.
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Definitely peanut butter!

This, and it makes me so sad, because peanut butter is delicious and healthy. But I can only allow myself a little each day or I'll ruin my calorie goals :(
    Me Too LOVE Peanut Butter. Just Bought some PB2 ( Powdered peanut butter) Soooo Good (45 cal for 2 tablespoons & 1.5 fat gr, )
  • machza
    machza Posts: 3
    Options
    Muscle milk...i was making it with milk and a banana...almost 600 cals
  • cld111
    cld111 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    You know the other one that KILLED me when I started tracking it properly? Sweet potatoes. I love having grated sweet potatoes and onions pan fried for breakfast. but 1 cup of grated sweet potato is over 250 calories!! And 1 cup of grated sweet potatoes is not very filling. I wanted to cry. I usually have it cooked in coconut oil with a fried egg on top. So delicious, but it's like 500 cals. UGH.

What! OMG.. say it isn't so! :sad:

It isn't so.
    www.nutritiondata.com

That site doesn't show grated sweet potatoes.

But this one does, and I've confirmed it elsewhere. :sad: It's 228 though, not 250, but still... :sad:

http://www.fitclick.com/how_many_calories_in_Sweet_potato_raw_unprepared_cup_measure_is_using_shredded_?fd=464763
  • cld111
    cld111 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Another thing that surprised me was how the calories differ between Nandos UK and Nandos US. In the UK a half chicken is 353 calories. In the US its over 500 calories for a half chicken. What are they doing to that chicken in America?!

You don't even want to know...
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Nuts. That used to be my go-to snack when I felt like munching on something. No more of that!
  • 1stday13
    Options
    I used to eat a "healthy" wrap of egg whites and diced tomato every morning - until I found out the wrap was about 350... add the egg whites, tomato and the coffee and my breakfast was costing me nearly 500 cals - almost half my day's cals.... yikes!
    Shop around, I found wrap for 68 cals My breakfast wrap is 185 cal total = tortilla, egg beaters, 1T, real bacon pieces, 1/2 oz vel cheese Love it
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    The cornbread muffins I made to go with dinner last night. 165 calories EACH? OMG!

Would have liked 2 but had 1.
  • mcsweetly
    mcsweetly Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Some fruit has shocked me! I tried weight watchers unsuccessfully and they are 0 points there.
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    flour tortillas - I used to think they were healthier than crunchy taco shells or bread, but nope not at all!

lattes - I now drink my coffee black or with a splash of unsweetened almond milk

fig newtons - used to think of them as a healthy alternative to cookies, but they're just as bad if not worse

sushi - although some varieties when made with brown rice and no mayo based sauces are way better in the calorie department

alcohol - knew it was bad, but not as bad as it actually is; especially fancy cocktails and margaritas :-(
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    You know the other one that KILLED me when I started tracking it properly? Sweet potatoes. I love having grated sweet potatoes and onions pan fried for breakfast. but 1 cup of grated sweet potato is over 250 calories!! And 1 cup of grated sweet potatoes is not very filling. I wanted to cry. I usually have it cooked in coconut oil with a fried egg on top. So delicious, but it's like 500 cals. UGH.

What! OMG.. say it isn't so! :sad:

It isn't so.
    www.nutritiondata.com

That site doesn't show grated sweet potatoes.

But this one does, and I've confirmed it elsewhere. :sad: It's 228 though, not 250, but still... :sad:

http://www.fitclick.com/how_many_calories_in_Sweet_potato_raw_unprepared_cup_measure_is_using_shredded_?fd=464763

Right, but what I'm saying is, can you just measure out 100g (or however much you want) of sweet potatos and grate them? It isnt' really the preparation but the amount. 100g probably just isn't a lot if you are making a hash out of it... hmm... bulk it up with some veggies?
  • michellebergamo
    Options
    Sush for me too! Yesterday I got a California roll for lunch - not fried- (12 pieces) - was over 500 calories, screwed up my day and I wasn't even that full lol
  • 1stday13
    Options
    Cheesecake. It seems to be a 100% efficient calorie vehicle; can go as high as 1600 calories per (restaurant-sized) serving.

I can always make cheesecake fit into my goals.
    Lots of fantastic lo cal lo fat cheesecake recipes out there & they are gooood :drinker:
  • CDrealME
    CDrealME Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    hecks yeah! banana.... i would have it in a shake.. by itself.. in a sandwich (pb&j w/banana - what do you know about that? o_O).. so when i joined and logged my first banana.. i was like WTF O_O i ate 300 alone just on bananas... um, so yeah.. it's only 1-a-day (no pun intended) .. ;-)
  • ericarae33
    ericarae33 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I was surprised at how much sugar is in milk, even non fat/skim....
  • 1stday13
    Options
    Raisins. 120cal for 1/4 cup :(
    ^^^^^ That ^^^^^^ & 1/4 cup isn't much
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Not so much calories... But the carbs in bananas are, well, bananas.
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Kroger's crunchy shrimp roll sushi- 500 calories per role, making a total of 6,000 in a package of 12.

Do you realize a roll is before it is cut up into 8-12 pieces, right?
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Those personal microwave chocolate cakes in a mug. Over EIGHT HUNDRED CALORIES! Lucky I tallied all the cals up only halfway through eating it, and I just threw the rest away. Won't be making them again!
  • KittyViolet
    KittyViolet Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Weirdly flour! I used to think my homemade pizzas were really good cause they were, well, homemade! Then I logged it on mfp and found the base alone to be nearly 400 cals. Then add topping. I used to have two!!

This! I've been logging a lot of my recipes for my homemade sweets and let me tell you, I am FLABBERGASTED. Homemade stuff has more calories and carbs than the processed junk from the grocery store! WAT???