After watching "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" I'm juicing

Options

Replies

• ohtobe140
    Options
    Juicing is a lot of work and money. Yes, it is all easy to buy, but the cleaning of the food, the juicing and then the clean up after that is a lot of work and takes time. And things like beets and carrots can stain your counter tops if you splash. I love Green Machine by Odwalla or that other company that I can't think of, it's good enough and much cheaper than the amount of produce you would have to buy to make the same amount.

I agree with borrowing a juicer and see how you feel about it. I have juiced several times in my life and the important thing to remember is that it is not calorie free and it is nutrient and fairly calorie dense for what it is. It is a meal, it's not a snack.

Good luck though, I think everyone should try it once, if you like it, good on you, if not, at least you know. Celery will add a nice spiciness to anything you make.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    ...detoxifying...

Remind me, which toxin(s) does juicing eliminate from our bodies? I'm sure it's an easy answer, because I read about this benefit a lot, but I can never remember which one(s).
  • amandacowan1978
    amandacowan1978 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I read that you want to really research the different juicers because those that use spinning blades to juice can heat up the juice which "supposedly" ruins some of the juicing properties.

Also, I like that you say it's just to add to your diet, not replacing. I think it's a great addition to a healthy, colorful diet, but obviously it should still be well-rounded.

We had a Jack Lalanne (I think that was it. We got it from Costco) and we weren't crazy about it. But then again, I didn't do too much research.

Also, there were other comments about that documentary, I watched it and I'm pretty sure there were no brands evident on the juicers. They showed drinking the juices a lot but not the actual machines or anything. It wasn't like a huge infomercial for juicers.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Juicing is something I wanna get into a little later down the road. Seems like a much quicker way to have a "salad" then spending 30 minutes to actually chop it all up with a knife. I see no problem with juicing as long as you use a device that doesn't separate the pulp/fiber.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Juicing is something I wanna get into a little later down the road. Seems like a much quicker way to have a "salad" then spending 30 minutes to actually chop it all up with a knife. I see no problem with juicing as long as you use a device that doesn't separate the pulp/fiber.

I've spent >30 minutes cleaning a juicer before...

...but maybe they're not like this now as this was 15ish years ago...(or maybe I was just doing it wrong).
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    My buddy has that nutribullet thing that I've been meaning to try. He says its a quick clean up and liquifies almost anything (like flax seeds).

I actually wanted to try to see how it mixes protein powder (vanilla!) up with fruit, coconut oil, and milk.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Bottlehouse Farms have a wonderful selection of juices you can choose from. I love the Vanilla Tea and Green Goodness. I would strongly recommend those - plus they're organic! :D

Green Goodness is sooo good! I go easy on it though because it is so high in sugar.
  • wisebuys
    wisebuys Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I also have a Vitamix for over 15 years. Its WONDERFUL and make smoothies with it. I use the whole fruit and the Vitamix does the rest. YUMMMMMMM.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

I've spent >30 minutes cleaning a juicer before...

...but maybe they're not like this now as this was 15ish years ago...(or maybe I was just doing it wrong).
    LOL! I once spent 30 minutes buttering a piece of toast when I was younger, but I had a "toxin" in my system at the time. My juicer takes about 3 minutes to clean. At least, sober it does. :wink:
  • tspugh
    tspugh Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    We have a Hamilton Beach juicer and it is fantastic (rated #1 by Consumer reports): http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hamilton-Beach-Big-Mouth-Juice-Extractor/11317141

I juice and incorporate it into my healthy diet, I mainly do it for nutrition. As for all the fiber that is left behind as pulp, you can put it in meatloafs, lasagnas, smoothies, etc. Look online and there are several great ideas.

Good luck!
  • victoriavoodoo
    victoriavoodoo Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Wow. I am surprised at how negative most are being about your choice to juice as well as eat healthy foods. I think it's a great idea. You might want to peruse Amazon and look for the highest rated juicer at your preferred price. Checking the user comments and photos usually give you a really good idea at how good a product is. Hope this helps! Best of luck.

Exactly. I didn't say I was not eating anything else, I just said I was added it to my lifestyle change. Were here for support, if you don't agree then don't comment. Everything is not for everybody. Find what works for you and be healthy.

I was just trying to save you some frustration and money; if you borrow one first and love it then you can go buy one and no harm done. If you buy one and it isn't for you that's alot of money and not a fun experience. A useful function of this forum can be to learn from others' mistakes, I sure have a few times.
  • fitbum19
    fitbum19 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    eat the foods you want to get the nutrients from. juicing only throws away fiber, which is essential. dont juice everyday. its a waste of the good stuff!!
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    What you're describing is pretty much what I do. Not every day, but most days. I'll run some combination of fruits and veggies through the juicer and drink it for breakfast or lunch, and yes it is actually pretty filling. Comes out usually to about 250 calories, and I'll have a handful of nuts or something like that alongside. I save the pulp - some of it goes into my vermicomposting bin because it's easy for the little guys to break down, and some of it goes into muffins or sweet bread, or I freeze it into cubes to throw into smoothies. Depends on what it is that I made that particular day - too much spinach or kale does not make for tasty muffins. LOL

There's nothing wrong with it - fresh juice is good for you and a nice way to get the vitamins from a mix of produce you might not normally eat. But I don't think it's a miracle-cure like he made it out to be. And given the nutritionally-drained, pesticide-coated state of supermarket produce these days, there's no "detoxing" benefit to be found in it unless you are organically growing heirloom produce in your own properly-enriched soil far away from air pollution, contaminated groundwater, etc etc etc. Also one thing he didn't mention on the video is that on a juice-only diet you would need to do regular enemas because of the complete lack of fiber. (That is taken straight from a juicing diet plan that I paid for last year and quit after two days.)

I definitely agree with borrowing a juicer first before you drop $50-100. Or find one at a second-hand shop - I got mine for $4.00! :o) Just like a breadmaker, a juicer is something a lot of people buy, get excited about, and put away after a couple of weeks. Cleaning isn't that bad if you get one with dishwasher-safe pieces. I probably spend about 10-15 minutes on prep and cleanup - the spinner part is the worst but I've found that if I rinse it under the sink sprayer and then put it in the dishwasher it usually comes out clean. The secret is to clean it before the pulp has a chance to dry on it. ;)
  • efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    If you are trying it out then I also recommend
    We have a Hamilton Beach juicer and it is fantastic (rated #1 by Consumer reports): http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hamilton-Beach-Big-Mouth-Juice-Extractor/11317141

It is only about $60 and works wonderfully. I bought one off of craigslist for about $40.

If money is at all a concern then I would stick to eating whole foods. An inexpensive drink like a couple of apples and carrots will cost you at least $1 a glass and it only goes up from there.
  • llynn19
    llynn19 Posts: 13
    Options
    I think and a little juicing is not bad. Get a little bit more vitamins out of it.
    I especially like the ideas of using whole foods only, and how industry has
    taken everything out of products that was ever good for us and put it into everything.
    For example corn and wheat.
  • waffletops
    waffletops Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I love juicing and I love the energy it gives, It's also great for the complexion, nails and hair.
    I follow the Jason Vale juicemaster plan, 7lbs in 7 days, or Turbo charge your life in 14 days.

I always have apples, pineapple, lime, ginger as my juice base and then incorporate any other fruit/veg that is in season ( as it's usually cheaper) into the juices.
    I always add Spirulina into my juices as well.

I have a phillips juicer, and is very easy to clean.
    The golden rule is always clean your juicer before you drink your juice.

Enjoy.
  • cage216
    Options
    I just got a big boss juicer through a living social deal and it works just fine for me. With all the things being said good/bad about juicing you wont know how it will be for you personally unless you do it. Everyone's body is different all you can do is try and see how you feel.

I know there is probably no way I could ever do a juice fast, but Ill say I am def getting more veggies and fruits in me now than before I bought the juicer.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    ...detoxifying...

Remind me, which toxin(s) does juicing eliminate from our bodies? I'm sure it's an easy answer, because I read about this benefit a lot, but I can never remember which one(s).

Anyone remember the answer to this question?
  • MountainMoverJosh
    Options
    Juicing cuts out a significant amount of "fibre" from your diet since you aren't eating any of the cellulose that comes from fruits and veggies.

come again? :huh:
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    ...detoxifying...

Anyone remember the answer to this question?
    I remember. "BS" is a toxin, especially if you are fed a whole lot of it at once. Although juicing/cleansing/fasting doesn't eliminate that one.