I feel sorry for women

Options
I mean this in the most genuine sense and only as it relates to weight loss. I hear all the time in these forums how women need to eat 1200 calories to lose, and 1400-1500 to maintain, etc. I am at maintanance right now, I work construction, and I lift and do cardio 3-4 times a week. Therefore, I eat about 2400 calories / day. I can't imagine looking into a future of eating only 1400 calories a day for the rst of my life in order to maintain my goal weight. Maybe I shouldn't feel so bad becasue women's bodies just don't require as much fuel, but I can eat 1400 calories after 6pm without blinking an eye. Does this depress any of you guys as much as would me, or am I overreacting?

Replies

• tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of women who eat a lot more than 1200 calories and lose. These would be the women that lift/workout and realize that eating 1200 calories does nothing but make you hate life..lol I eat 1700 and could probably eat more but this works for me right now.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I think lean mass and activity level have everything to do with it.

I was once as you said, maintaining on about 1550-1600 calories a day. I now maintain close to 1900. Not too bad. ;)

Then again, I lift weights and although i work a desk job, i try to stay pretty active. :P
  • Dougf90
    Dougf90 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Women who need to eat 1200 to lose are either really really short with only a few lbs to lose... or they're not doing it right at all. Usually it's the latter.

In any case, I would just exercise harder to eat more. Like I do now.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    No need to feel sorry for me. I don't quite eat 2400 a day, but I can assure you, I am well over 1400-1600 cals as well. I realize my ticker doesn't show much of a loss, but I am pregnant now, so yeah, maybe I am getting closer to your 2400 right now!
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I mean this in the most genuine sense and only as it relates to weight loss. I hear all the time in these forums how women need to eat 1200 calories to lose, and 1400-1500 to maintain, etc. I am at maintanance right now, I work construction, and I lift and do cardio 3-4 times a week. Therefore, I eat about 2400 calories / day. I can't imagine looking into a future of eating only 1400 calories a day for the rst of my life in order to maintain my goal weight. Maybe I shouldn't feel so bad becasue women's bodies just don't require as much fuel, but I can eat 1400 calories after 6pm without blinking an eye. Does this depress any of you guys as much as would me, or am I overreacting?

We don't need your pity. I maintain at 2100 average and can't imagine working construction and eating only 300 calories more than that.

Edit: That's NET 2100. So, yeah, I eat more than you.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    There are far too many women on this site that put themselves into the mindset that they need to eat 1200 calories to lose weight. A very small percentage of them actually do need to eat that much.

That said I often wonder what I would do if I had to eat that little. My maintenance calories are supposed to be 3300 when I get there. I also have a feeling it may be hard to maintain that many calories on a daily basis just as it would be hard for them to not eat. I would waste away literally at 1200.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I'm a woman, 5'1", maintaining on 1800-1900 and I lose (cut) on around 1570 cals/day.

I lift heavy weights, that helps. (although I lift them to be strong, not to eat more calories, but it has both effects)
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    LOL.. my husband would feel sorry for you. He eats 2400 a day to lose weight (14+ hour days in heavy contruction/hydro vac op). His maintance will be closer to 3000 cals a day. And, this is without exercise.
    There's always another side of the fence.. body builders eat for breakfast what my husband would eat in a day.
  • ShannonECTD
    ShannonECTD Posts: 203 Member
    Options

We don't need your pity. I maintain at 2100 average and can't imagine working construction and eating only 300 calories more than that.

Edit: That's NET 2100. So, yeah, I eat more than you.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ^^^

I eat 1700-1900 to lose.
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Pfffft....I feel sorry for PEOPLE who think they have to eat minimal calories in order to lose weight. Men and women.

I eat 2000 on average and lose weight every week. On the 1st March it will be my 1 year anniversary of my weight loss journey and so far I've not experienced an actual plateau. Sure I've slowed down in the weight loss department but that is completely normal and I'm still losing weight no matter how small that loss is.
  • jfang86
    jfang86 Posts: 19
    Options
    I'm maintaining/losing at 1200-1400 and I'm 5'2" and lift heavy. That being said, if I eat more than that, I feel kinda sick and bloated. I'm smaller so the food feels like enough for me, even though it's a lot less than what would fill you up.
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I think it just depends on the woman. I usually net 1300-1500 and eat about 1700-2100.
  • Razzy43
    Razzy43 Posts: 32
    Options
    I agree, I wouldn't like eating 1200 calories a day, but when I read them, I have to believe they are trying to lose it by diet only. If you actively workout, what ever that might be, you should be able to add on 300-600 calories a day with the routine you are doing. My maintain calories are 2400 a day, but on my workout days, I get around the 3000-3200 calories to fuel the body. I much more enjoy this, then just trying do it on diet alone.
  • applekrisp1988
    Options
    What? My plan says differently, but we'll see. I'm shooting for 1800 to 2000 working an active job that involves lots of lifting and walking. Women DO lose weight faster than men which is really unfair in my opinion but I guess we can't change genetics...
  • jfang86
    jfang86 Posts: 19
    Options
    Also, I think it just comes down to listening to your body. Not all women who are eating like 1200-1500 a day are doing it because they're trying to lose weight. For some of us, it's just all that our bodies require. I'm pretty active and I use MFP to log food to track what I'm eating nutritionally, not to diet, and even with my activity level and the calories I eat, I'm not bonking.
  • Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    If people would eat food that didn't screw up their bodies ability to regulate fat mass they could eat far more than that. Having to constantly go through life hungry is no way to live. And it honestly breaks my heart, not as much as seeing family members die due to diabetes and heart disease though.....

I maintain my weight between 2400 and 3400 kcal/day with no cardio. If I want to gain weight I have to eat over 3400, I usually eat between 4000 and 5000/day when I am gaining.
  • Brianna716
    Brianna716 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I'm losing netting 1200, if I plateau then I'll switch to TDEE -20%. Honestly, most days I have a hard time meeting my goal if I haven't eaten any junk food. I wouldn't know how to consume more healthy calories other than eating half a jar of peanut butter
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,231 Member
    Options

I don't think you're reading the right posts. I net around 1200 a day-I eat between 1500 and 2300 (or more). I generally average around 1800 a day. I can also plow down 1400 calories after 6pm and usually do (well-at least 1k, usually 1200, yesterday I had 1600 between 8pm and bedtime).

Nope-not at all depressed by this btw.
  • kirstyfairhead
    kirstyfairhead Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Nope you are so right!!

I am 4' 11" and according to MFP I have a BMR of 1224 cals a day so if I had a lazy day and ate 1500 cals I would actually GAIN weight!! Not fair huh!!

I probably have less of an appetite than one of you strapping chaps mind you so that helps!! and exercise is an absolute must!!
  • Bean5
    Bean5 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    That's nice of you, but I feel it is really a wake up call to be conscientious about what we eat on a daily basis.
    Remember 1200 is aggressive, to lose a pound a week, Maintenance should be the 1700-1900 calories/day referenced earlier.
    When I'm conscientious I'm surprised how much food that is. When I'm eating out a lot I'm surprised how fast I can get to that number if I'm not careful! :)