Probably going to get slammed for this, but...

Options

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me embarrassed that I'm a female.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Tada! SLAM!

UFC-144-Jackson-vs-Bader.gif
  • Belenwright23
    Options
    I could tell by the way she said it and how she spent the next few minutes describing how she got in shape that what she said was just a back-handed compliment.

Or, you could be more self-conscious of your weight, and be negatively projecting your insecurities of your weight onto her happiness in getting fit?

FYI: There's been quite a few psychological studies on the attractiveness of friends to other friends. You guys said you used to be close friends. She hadn't seen you in awhile. She was probably feeling good and more positive with her own success.

She probably did think you looked good.

I AGREE 100% she probably did think u looked good Jeez i hope i dont come off like this to people when i tell them they look good and they ask me how i loose the weight! You should stop thinking into it too much and be thankful to her for her compliment if you dont think u look good maybe you should focus on working on you ! Not being mean just honest here.
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Damn girl, you have gotten fatter - you should really get to a gym.

You're welcome.

omg, i almost tinkled!
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    "You look great" could have meant you have a happy sparkle in your eye. Or your skin looks good. Or your outfit rocks. Or your hair came out perfect today.

You can be overweight and look great.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    giiiirl, stop being a fu*king fatty and get your *kitten* the the gym!! And eat right!! It aint that hard!! You can do it if you put your mind to it!
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I'd be willing to bet your feelings would be equally hurt if she had said "wow you look like you got fatter. Join a gym, yo!"..especially from the stand point of someone who has lost weight themselves.

Seems like you aren't happy with your weight...sure you feel like she gave you a backhanded compliment but that's your problem, not hers...
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    Maybe, kust maybe you look healthy and carry your weight well...size or weight does not have anything with how you look....just my opinion....
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I agree with those that say you are projecting your issues.
  • stephanieb72
    stephanieb72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    so being heavy = looking bad? She didn't say hey girl you look so skinny, did she? Why does her compliment, in your mind, have to do only with your size?
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Factor in hair, makeup, and clothing, and you may, in fact, have looked great. Gaining (or losing) weight is not the be-all/end-all of your appearance.

One of the best answers in the thread.
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    If anybody said to me I had put on weight and should get to the gym I would punch them in the face :angry:. Call me old fashioned lol
  • Belenwright23
    Options
    So do you want to get slammed or not?

HAHAHAHAH THIS^^^^^^^
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    How dare she compliment you.....She's a total hag. :huh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Lose-Lose Situation.

My thoughts exactly.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I could tell by the way she said it and how she spent the next few minutes describing how she got in shape that what she said was just a back-handed compliment.

Or, you could be more self-conscious of your weight, and be negatively projecting your insecurities of your weight onto her happiness in getting fit?

FYI: There's been quite a few psychological studies on the attractiveness of friends to other friends. You guys said you used to be close friends. She hadn't seen you in awhile. She was probably feeling good and more positive with her own success.

She probably did think you looked good.

I agree with the above.

And friends generally see us totally differently to how we see ourselves.
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I feel like your being too sensitive. So what, she didn't feel comfortable telling you that you gained weight, but even them, what makes you think she didn't think you looked good? Also, if she had lost weight she should be able to brag a little to her friends without them getting upset... Idk I'm too laid back for this crap.
  • tweetz78
    Options
    dont worry about what others say or do you do what you feel is right for you. there is a guy at work that constantly makes comments about my weight and saying things like "wow im surprised at your size that you can out pick all of us guys" fyi im the only female picker in the entire warehouse for all 3 shifts. my answer to him " yeah its because im not in the bathroom admiring my muscles every 5 minutes" just let it roll off.
  • meaningful99
    Options
    Every person is entitled to her own feelings, but a world where people tell each other they look terrible and give unsolicited exercise advice is not a world I want to live in. Good manners are one of the things that separate us from the rest of the animals.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Seems like your friend had 3 choices...

1. Cut the red wire
    2. Cut the blue wire
    3. Tell the bomb it was pretty

"oh hey! I haven't seen you in so long! you look like you ate a house!"

OR

"hey! How have you been I've missed you!"

OR

"You're so pretty!"