How many pets is too many?

Options

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    My town has a limit. 5 pets per household. They also do inspections every few months to make sure the home is safe for the pets and that the pets are being fed and not abused. I don't know many towns that do this, and it's mandatory.

What if they have children? Do they do the same?
    My town doesn't have a limit on children and they don't inspect the house for children's conditions. I'm pretty sure that's for CPS to take care of.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    Two is one too many . . .

Honestly, it depends on the living situation.

I have a 3 bedroom home and a good sized, fenced in yard. I have one dog. A big dog but still, only one dog.

If I had a larger home and actual acreage, I would have more.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Personally... about the time when you can't take care of them or you 'wondered' what happened to that pet when they disappear... but on the flip side, it ain't my house and it ain't my life.
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Oh and if your home looks like a giant dirty hamster cage most of the time, that's probably too many too.

Yeah, one of the dogs is basically not housebroken. Ew.
  • meghan6867
    meghan6867 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think if the owners are making sure the pets are well-cared for (food, vetting, hygiene, and just in general happy) there doesn't need to be a limit. From what you described, however, the space might be an issue...

That being said, most cities have ordinances for pet limits. My town is three pets per household. I've rescued three pets (two beautiful kitties and one dog) and that seems to be a good number for me.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    If there's feces on your floor, countertop, bed.... you have too many pets.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    If you can't take care of them - keeping them fed, vetted, and their living conditions clean - it's too many. For some, one could be too many. (snip)

This was my exact thought when I read the thread title.
  • mllst18
    mllst18 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Back to reality, when you can't take care of them = too many.

Agreed! I have a Harelquin Macaw and a Boston Terrier/cockerspaniel, but it's just my hubby and I. I have a friend who works at the pet store we got our bird from who has a serious animal hoarding problem (her and her mom, both). They have 8 or 9 dogs, 6 large birds, fish, iguanas, cats, and god knows what else. Every single time I talk to her she tells me about the new animal they got....They live in a tiny one bedroom and her and her mom (she is 18) share a bed, and they wash their laundry in a tub because they can't afford to go to the laundromat....
  • EjaneK11
    EjaneK11 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I think if you start having to put feeding your animals first before you is when you have to many. When you are able to feed yourselves and your animals is when it is fine. Also that many animals and people in a two bedroom apartment is way to much. People need room to have personal space if needed and of course animals need room to roam too.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,045 Member
    Options
    Have you watched those Animal Hoarders shows on Netflix?

Good luck getting your money from them. Better write it off.

I just spent $1000 on a cat at the vet....there are limits...but I'm not sure what mine are, either. I didn't intend to spend that much, but when the vet says "We can do thus and such" we just naturally say "ok". :ohwell: and it adds up quickly.
  • IntoTheSky
    IntoTheSky Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    If I had unlimited funds, I'd buy acres of land, build a complex, and adopt every single animal from all the shelters. I'd hire care-takers, people to play with them, etc.

^this. We have 3 dogs, 1 cat, a fish and a hedgehog........ We can take them to the vet (except the fish..... he can flounder), feed them the food they need (in our case, gluten free natural food for the shih tzu), take the time to groom them and interact with them. We will not be getting any more though. What we have is what we can handle. The shih tzu has cancer and will soon have to be put to sleep (he is 14), the cat is 15 and healthy and the rest are under 10 and perfect.
  • kaceelawlor
    kaceelawlor Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    When you cannot afford to take care of yourself, your family, your pets, and your house starts to smell like animal and there's nothing you can do...then it's time to re-evaluate the situation. Until then, as long as you are financially and mentally able to take care of everything that comes along with ownership of a pet, there is not a problem.
  • kgoodman0108
    Options
    I have an English Bulldog, Pug, and two cats. While I love them all dearly, for me its a bit excessive (especially with my allergies). The more animals you have, the more effort it takes to maintain your home and care for them.
  • EjaneK11
    EjaneK11 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I would also like to point out that can't be good on the health of the adults, especially the child.
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I have three large dogs, 2 snakes, a bearded dragon and 2 iguanas. I think we are adding a blue tongued skink to the mix tonight. I can afford to care for all of them and keep them well fed, all the cages are clean, and I own nothing that would be considered a menace to society.

Given the fact they have 15 rats, I can imagine that apartment is VERY stinky. I kept rats for a while to feed my boa, and believe me, the smell can get out of control in a hurry, and it lingers. If it stinks in the place, then I would say it's too much.

Also relative sizes is important. Are we talking about mastiffs or toy poodles here?
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I don't know, that depends. I personally feel that if you need to care for animals more than you need to care for yourself or other people in your home, you have too many dang pets.

We're a family of 4 and have a dog, a cat and two hermit crabs. That's IT. Our dog is old and we will not be replacing her any time soon, nor will we replace the crabs. The cat, of course, will out-live us all.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    A couple thousand rats is to many! 500 is ok though

rat_takeovr_ae_show.jpg
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    and a partridge in a pear tree.
  • GenesisandEden
    GenesisandEden Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    If I had unlimited funds, I'd buy acres of land, build a complex, and adopt every single animal from all the shelters. I'd hire care-takers, people to play with them, etc.

Exactly this.