Has anyone lost weight eating less than 1200 calories a day?

Options
Just curious! I actually ate around 1000 calories per day several years back and lost really well! This was before the starvation mode thing was even a known factor (as far as I knew at least) I lost 60 lb easily within 7 months...I gained my weight due to some depression issues ONLY which of course will happen on any diet! Soooo would like to know if this has worked for anyone else!

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Why would anybody want to eat less than 1200 a day??
  • amyschicos
    amyschicos Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    To lose at a faster rate was my purpose the first time! :)
  • mulloyii
    mulloyii Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You would lose weight, perhaps at a slower rate, but as long as it's lower than the amount you need to sustain your weight, you'll still lose weight. Whether or not 1200 is bad is entirely dependent on your specific situation.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Just curious! I actually ate around 1000 calories per day several years back and lost really well! This was before the starvation mode thing was even a known factor (as far as I knew at least) I lost 60 lb easily within 7 months...I gained my weight due to some depression issues ONLY which of course will happen on any diet! Soooo would like to know if this has worked for anyone else!

Starvation mode is a myth thrown around far too often.

Don't try to only eat 1000 calories again. It is far too little especially if you are exercising as well. If you were only eating about 1000 calories when you lost 60lbs before I can guarantee a large portion of the 60lb was muscle that you lost. When you are on a calorie deficit and have a deficit too large you will lose muscle.

Set your goals properly here and follow that. You will not lose the same as you did in the past... your body changes. Dont strive for what happened before. Take it slow for the best results. Losing too quickly only hurts your body.
  • amystev21
    amystev21 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I ate less than 1200..not sure of the amount and went from 220 to 150 in about 8 months. I lifted weights daily and had a day once per week where I ate what I wanted then picked right back up where I left off. Worked great for me personally...
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    The problem with sub-1200 calories per day to me (if you're obese) isn't so much that your caloric intake is too low. It's that it's next to impossible to get all your NUTRITION at that level.

2-3 servings of dairy. 3-4 servings of whole grains. 8-10 servings of fruits and vegetables. 25+ grams of fiber. 50+ grams of high quality protein. Vitamins. Minerals... all of those take calories to consume (unless you're taking tons of supplements and powders and concoctions).

For a month? maybe. For 6+ months? Possible, but you WILL be losing muscle and you will probably have some malnutrition issues if you aren't under a doctor's supervision.
  • amystev21
    amystev21 Posts: 20 Member
    Options

Starvation mode is a myth thrown around far too often.

Don't try to only eat 1000 calories again. It is far too little especially if you are exercising as well. If you were only eating about 1000 calories when you lost 60lbs before I can guarantee a large portion of the 60lb was muscle that you lost. When you are on a calorie deficit and have a deficit too large you will lose muscle.

Set your goals properly here and follow that. You will not lose the same as you did in the past... your body changes. Dont strive for what happened before. Take it slow for the best results. Losing too quickly only hurts your body.

I don't think thats what happened to me though! I lifted daily (took off Sundays) and was in amazing shape!! Had muscle tone as well! I'll see if I can post a pic to share..I just like the original poster gained my weight back due to some issues in my life that sent me in a downward spiral of food,food and more food...but I am back on the saddle again now!
  • nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    yup i did. started at 1500 cal then went to 1200 cal and for several weeks under a docs care 600-1000 cal. was energized...wasnt hungry and am healthy as a horse.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I used to be able to lose 10 pounds in just a few weeks by eating very little, and running around all night at my fast food job. However, the weight was probably mostly water weight since it came right back when I started eating normally again.

That was years ago, and I tried eating 1200, which would take a couple pounds off, then I'd plateau for months. I maintained on 1200, 1300, 1400, 1500, and 1600. It is such a struggle to get your body working properly again once you malnourish it for a long time, so be careful if you decide 1200 is right for you. It's not always wrong, and it's not always bad, but it's not for everyone.

Also, I didn't experience grumpiness, tiredness, hair falling out, etc. I still had plenty of energy and wasn't even hungry. But I was exercising 4-5 days a week or more and didn't drop weight or measurements for like a year because my deficit was simply too large for my body to handle.
  • GloMash710
    GloMash710 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    So far I've lost 25 lbs since 12/27/12 by keeping my calories at 1200. I take a multivitamin and other supplements, eat really healthy lean meats, lots of egg whites, veggies and nuts. I really think the quality of food you eat is important. I'm sure if I were eating 1200 calories of low quality, processed food I would be hungry and craving more but I feel really satisfied with my 1200 calories.
  • PQ4321
    PQ4321 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I lost 65 pounds on a doctor supervised Very low calorie diet (900-1100). They did regular blood work and we saw a doctor weekly. I don't think it would be a good thing to do without a doctor's supervision. It is my understanding that you can really mess yourself up without some medical monitoring. Right now I am trying to learn to maintain an intermediate weight before going down a bit more.

One of the things I find interesting on this site is the horror some people show about other people eating 1200 calories per day. That is actually my doctor recommended caloric intake at the moment. One of the reasons I don't post much on the message boards is that I really am not interested in what other posters think of what I am doing under a doctor's supervision.

Also, I don't succeed at it much LOL, which is part of the learning process. I am learning a lot about portions, servings, and the more emotional aspects of my previous eating habits.

It's a journey, not a destination for me. There are more aspects to people's relationship with food than their calorie intake.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Yes - I was on a 480-calorie per day diet more than a decade ago through Weight Loss Clinics (who went out of business around here). I was working out at least 4 days per week and walking a lot every day, too. The weight just evaporated right off me, and I looked and felt pretty good (other than being ravenous 24/7).

The weight came back pretty fast when the diet ended. It was not, I repeat NOT, worth it.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I lost 65 pounds on a doctor supervised Very low calorie diet (900-1100). They did regular blood work and we saw a doctor weekly. I don't think it would be a good thing to do without a doctor's supervision. It is my understanding that you can really mess yourself up without some medical monitoring.

^^ Exactly this.

The danger is:
    -not getting enough nutrition
    -damage to your hormones which will make it difficult to continue to lose weight after you reach a plateau.
    -when you do reach a plateau, you cannot restrict calories even further, i.e. there is nowhere else to go. You have to raise calories, then you create the yo-yo.
  • shaywallis
    shaywallis Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I love food too much to eat such a low # of calories. I would rather work my butt off in a killer workout and eat a decent amount of calories than be hungry all the time.
  • amyschicos
    amyschicos Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My thinking is..Monday-Saturday 1000-1100 with a free day (within reason free day)
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Everybody who decides to lose weight does so for their own reasons.
    Everybody chooses the way in which they will achieve this for themselves.
    Everybody has the same access to information on HEALTHY weight loss methods.
    Everybody has the same access to information on UNHEALTHY weight loss methods.

It would be nice to think that everybody would have the sense to choose a healthy method, but unfortunately they don't.

I am glad that I gathered all the information I could before embarking on my weight loss programme, but I would also like to thank the many MFP'ers who took the time to make comments on posts on the message boards which steered me towards the brilliant piece of information that I can EAT and LOSE WEIGHT, which has resulted in an even healthier weight loss.

I have never before ENJOYED losing weight and getting fit in the past and know that this is working. I wouldn't do it any other way.
  • jennmariepantoja
    jennmariepantoja Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have been on a 1200 plan and have lost 8lbs in about 2 weeks.
    I also exercise and lift weights.
    I find I am still able to enjoy going out to eat (take a look at my diary and you will see Red Robin, Pei Wei and Denny's!) and I am satisfied. I incorporate lean meats, fruits, grains and dairy into my diet. Sometimes I even have calories left over that I can not eat.

I listen to my body. If I feel that 1200 is not good because I have been working out, I will allow myself a little more.
    It is not for everyone and I can see myself bumping up to 14-1500 when I lose the weight I want.
    And splurge days for me are a must. I am def splurging on Superbowl!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    You were younger then, your body probably won't be as quick to recover now.

Did you get depressed while eating at those levels? Yes, certain people are prone to depression, but the early stages of starvation has very similar symptoms, such as listlessness.

Give the MFP plan a try and see how it works for you.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    ask if anyone has kept if off. heh.
  • kcallas88
    kcallas88 Posts: 192
    Options
    I lost weight eating 1200calories a day. And i was really happy seeing the numbers drop so quickly.

...and then id look at myself in the mirror and be like WTF?!...

I may have lost 15lbs...but in a bikini i still wasn't attractive.

I read about TDEE and began eating 1500-1600 calories a day. In the past month, i have felt so much better and have had more energy. And i can eat more! I havent lost much weight since then...but the difference in the mirror has been substantial. I am more toned...muscles are coming through, fat and cellulite are going bye-bye.

And in the long run..im happy loosing slower, eating 1600 calories a day, and gaining muscle.

When you eat below your BMR, you may loose weight for a time, however in the end you lose more muscle weight then fat. So therefore, you may be happy with the scale, but not with the appearance!
This discussion has been closed.