A Success story from someone who eats 1200 calories

Options

Replies

• GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    congrats! I hope I can keep at it. My doctor years ago told me I needed to be at 1200 calories yikes! My hardest part is when you make stuff from scratch it is hard to figure out calorie counts, so I have to wing it a lot. Hoping the 1200 pays off soon this sucks lol
    You can use the recipe option in your food tab. You put all your ingredients in and how many servings your dish will make and it figures it for you. :flowerforyou:
  • solbchgal
    Options
    FTR, I eat over 3000 cals. Just sayin'. There's more than one way to skin a cat. And one of us will still look like this in two years. Can you guess which one?

you seem a little dueschy
  • solbchgal
    Options
    FTR, I eat over 3000 cals. Just sayin'. There's more than one way to skin a cat. And one of us will still look like this in two years. Can you guess which one?

you seem a little dueschy

OMG! I nearly snorted Apple through my nose. HAAAAA HAAA LMAO! I love the term dueschy!
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Nothing like a 1200 calorie success story thread to bring out the self-appointed experts.

Congratulations on your weight loss! :flowerforyou:
  • JPRobocker
    JPRobocker Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I don't know about you guys, but for me, maintainance is ~1600. There are about 3500 calories in a pound. To lose 1 pound a week, you'd have to have 500 calories less every day. Which would put me at 1100 calories/day. I try to stick around 1200 net. I almost always eat ~1500 calories a day but net less than 1200 with exercise.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I don't know about you guys, but for me, maintainance is ~1600. There are about 3500 calories in a pound. To lose 1 pound a week, you'd have to have 500 calories less every day. Which would put me at 1100 calories/day. I try to stick around 1200 net. I almost always eat ~1500 calories a day but net less than 1200 with exercise.

If you are correct in your math then you do not weigh 250 lbs so we're talking about a completely different situation
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    The correct way to post in a success thread that does not involve hcg, pills or eating disorders, is "good job, you should be very proud of yourself." With an optional :flowerforyou: or :drinker:

Mfp 101, people. Believe it or not, she did not ask for advice, she was sharing her success. Everything is not about you.

Maybe, but she didn't post a simple success thread. By titling her thread the way she did, she created an advertisement for unhealthy eating, a more difficult than needed weightloss strategy, and an unsustainable maintenance plan (which she has not yet attempted).

Look at the number of women that have responded to this thread excited to start their own 1200 calorie journey. We're not here to bash the OP, we're here to tell others that there is a better way. An easier way. A sustainable way.

The thread is in the Success Stories section, ergo it is a success thread. People add stuff to their titles all the time to make it more topic specific. MFP allows 1200 as a calorie goal, but bans pro-ana, diet potions, etc. She is an adult and I'm sure she is more than capable of discerning what sort of weight loss regimen she wishes to follow. I like eating more, myself, but a Success Stories thread Is not the place to offer advice, especially unsolicited. People get in a tizzy when someone comments about revealing clothing In a success story thread with pics, so why is it socially acceptable to criticize her for this? If someone doesn't agree? Move along.

(Thanks for giving me a chance to use the word ergo. :flowerforyou: )
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    The correct way to post in a success thread that does not involve hcg, pills or eating disorders, is "good job, you should be very proud of yourself." With an optional :flowerforyou: or :drinker:

Mfp 101, people. Believe it or not, she did not ask for advice, she was sharing her success. Everything is not about you.

Maybe, but she didn't post a simple success thread. By titling her thread the way she did, she created an advertisement for unhealthy eating, a more difficult than needed weightloss strategy, and an unsustainable maintenance plan (which she has not yet attempted).

Look at the number of women that have responded to this thread excited to start their own 1200 calorie journey. We're not here to bash the OP, we're here to tell others that there is a better way. An easier way. A sustainable way.

I don't get why people say 1200 cals is "unhealthy"... it really depends on what you are going for, right? And where you are coming at it from?

like i said, i did 1200 + exercise cals for two years. I got proper micronutrients and macronutrients and managed to go from "obese" to "normal" BMI. ... I'm no longer on 1200 cals. I'm doing something different now. Is what I'm doing now healthier??? It depends on what we consider healthy....

I apologize. Perhaps I shouldn't have used the word unhealthy. You have me at a disadvantage because I know nothing about your situation. My main point is that a 250 lb person can lose without cutting down to 1200. Do you disagree? Is that what you weighed when you successfully ate 1200 for 2 years?
  • Swany2
    Swany2 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Do you ever use the recipe builder? I store the recipes I use a lot in there and can usually get a pretty good estimate of how many calories it is.

I use this too, its a great tool
  • LadyHall01
    Options
    Awesome. My allotment is 1200 as well. Thanks so much for sharing. Definitely encouraging. Keep up the good work. God bless!
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options

The thread is in the Success Stories section, ergo it is a success thread. People add stuff to their titles all the time to make it more topic specific. MFP allows 1200 as a calorie goal, but bans pro-ana, diet potions, etc. She is an adult and I'm sure she is more than capable of discerning what sort of weight loss regimen she wishes to follow. I like eating more, myself, but a Success Stories thread Is not the place to offer advice, especially unsolicited. People get in a tizzy when someone comments about revealing clothing In a success story thread with pics, so why is it socially acceptable to criticize her for this? If someone doesn't agree? Move along.

(Thanks for giving me a chance to use the word ergo. :flowerforyou: )

This.
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options

I'm guess that you will still look the same in 2 years. I base that only on the fact that you've lost 0 of your 32lb weight loss goal and Fightininggirl has lost 71 lbs so far and losing more and more every week. Definitely feel she will look much different in 2 years. Contrats to you fightininggirl, you are an inspiration.

THIS

Also those on 1200 cals are looking to lose weight not to build muscle..... which is an entirely different concept and requires an entirely different plan!! Try eating 3000cals per day and not working out and lifting weights for hours.... much different result me thinks!!

But there's the thing: you may lose weight, but will you be truly healthy unless you're "not working out and lifting weights for hours"? I spent 1.25 hours in the gym this morning at 0300 am, before work, working out and lifting weights. I've lost a considerable amount of weight, and I'd of never done it on 1200. No way. JMHO.
  • DorisR184
    DorisR184 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success!
  • sbrownallison
    sbrownallison Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I've been eating 1200 cal/day for about a year and have lost 42 lbs, so far, with a few more to go. I joined MFP in Nov., so it only shows a 10 lb loss. I am older than many on these boards and find weight loss to be a challenge. I found that I can no longer lose weight (even eating only 1200 a day), without exercise. I go to the Y four to five days a week, plus trying to get my Fitbit steps and stairs in each day. I normally do not eat back my exercise calories. Good luck!
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    But there's the thing: you may lose weight, but will you be truly healthy
    Good grief. Did you ever think that maybe the OP has different goals than you? Perhaps her first goal is to just lose the weight. So, she's been successful and wants to post it here. Maybe her next goal will work on building muscle and being "truly healthy", as you think. Then she can post another success thread.
    I've lost a considerable amount of weight, and I'd of never done it on 1200. No way..
    Great. You found what works for YOU. Create your own success thread and hope no one craps on it.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options

I don't get why people say 1200 cals is "unhealthy"... it really depends on what you are going for, right? And where you are coming at it from?

like i said, i did 1200 + exercise cals for two years. I got proper micronutrients and macronutrients and managed to go from "obese" to "normal" BMI. ... I'm no longer on 1200 cals. I'm doing something different now. Is what I'm doing now healthier??? It depends on what we consider healthy....

I apologize. Perhaps I shouldn't have used the word unhealthy. You have me at a disadvantage because I know nothing about your situation. My main point is that a 250 lb person can lose without cutting down to 1200. Do you disagree? Is that what you weighed when you successfully ate 1200 for 2 years?

I agree that a 250 lbs person can eat more than 1200 cals and still lose weight. In fact, anyone can eat more than that and still lose weight depending on what kind of exercise they are incorporating.

I don't think it is "unhealthy" to eat 1200 calorie diet as long as the person is NETTING 1200 cals, meaning they eat their exercise cals. I also think the "healthiness" of what someone eats has a lot to do with whether or not they are getting proper nutrition, micro and macro nutrients. I was never 250 lbs, but I was obese and I did lose 50 lbs doing 1200 + exercise cals. I don't think it was unhealthy.

But also, as I have said here and elsewhere, when I got to my goal, I wanted to have more lean body mass, which required I up my cals and change my work out routine.
  • cathrynfay
    Options

I'm guess that you will still look the same in 2 years. I base that only on the fact that you've lost 0 of your 32lb weight loss goal and Fightininggirl has lost 71 lbs so far and losing more and more every week. Definitely feel she will look much different in 2 years. Contrats to you fightininggirl, you are an inspiration.

THIS

Also those on 1200 cals are looking to lose weight not to build muscle..... which is an entirely different concept and requires an entirely different plan!! Try eating 3000cals per day and not working out and lifting weights for hours.... much different result me thinks!!

But there's the thing: you may lose weight, but will you be truly healthy unless you're "not working out and lifting weights for hours"? I spent 1.25 hours in the gym this morning at 0300 am, before work, working out and lifting weights. I've lost a considerable amount of weight, and I'd of never done it on 1200. No way. JMHO.

No one is asking you to do so. Gosh, you guys are all brutal. Chill out!
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    I think it's great that the OP is taking a hold of her life and wanting to change for the better, but I hope she at least considers what people are telling her about the pitfalls of such a low calorie diet and do the necessary learning about the science of nutrition. It is not an I'm right, you're wrong kind of situation. Look at both sides objectively, and use your body as a scientific experiment to find out what works best for you...and I'm not talking a one or two day experiment. Give 1400 calories a try for a couple weeks, and incorporate a few pushups, situps, and lunges a few times a week to help keep your lean muscle mass as intact as possible.

Little steps at a time, for some folks.

The diary says she's under calories, but we really have no way to know for certain. I know a lot of people have trouble with logging everything they've eaten, so maybe she is, and maybe she isn't. My guess is she's more than likely not actually under 1200 but the diary says she is.

Low calorie diets are appropriate for people under medical supervision, there can be reasons she's not exercising, and she says she is supervised so who am I to say?

I only chimed in to say that you can lose on higher cals, not that she had to do what I do.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options

You're taller & weigh more than I do. How is your maintenance 1600? Mine is like 1900 & I'm pretty sedentary. I stay at home all day. I pace around to be a little more active.
  • Superchas
    Superchas Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Not much support on tuesday.
    Congrats on your success and hope everybody has a better wednesday.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!