I just got hit up for girl scout cookies!!!

Options

Replies

• HOLLEE85
    Options
    My daughter is a Spark and we cookie blitz twice a year and I've noticed that there's some people who don't want to or can't eat the cookies so they just donate the money to support the girls. Maybe next time that could be a thought? Either that or bring them to a friends party or something that way you don't eat much. They can also be frozen.....I know the mint ones anyways.
  • Dawnhasajeep
    Dawnhasajeep Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I give a donation and let them have the full donation rather than buying cookies form a company that rips off the girl scouts. Plus do some research as to what is in the cookies. That will keep you from eating them.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I give a donation and let them have the full donation rather than buying cookies from a company that rips off the girl scouts. Plus do some research as to what is in the cookies. That will keep you from eating them.

I agree- and since the ingredients are pretty bad, I wouldn't feel any better donating them to someone else to eat.
  • LemonsAndCoffee
    LemonsAndCoffee Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    The Samoas (with their delicious dark chocolate) were so much better than the new Caramel Delites. Don't misunderstand, the Caramel Delites are still good, they're just not as good.

Where I live we still get the delicious Samoas. :)

ewwww, old cookies.

Pfft, who am I kidding...I'd take some two-year old Samoas over the fresh Caramel Delites.

ETA: And for what it's worth, my wife has been neighborhood cookie chair several years. You'd think moving 800 cases of cookies into and out of your basement would make you not want to eat them...but you'd be wrong.

I just have to put this out there - the cookies differ from council to council (slightly - ex. the Samoas and Carmel Delites). My daughter's council has all the "real" cookies (Samoas, etc), whereas my co-workers daughter is in a neighboring council and they are selling the "other" cookies. There are different bakers for the cookies.......
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    DH (age 74) is old enough to remember when the Girl Scouts actually baked the cookies themselves instead of "outsourcing" it.
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I love the cookies but don't have to have them
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    You could have donated to the cause and not bought any cookies.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I allow myself one box a year. Eat one everyday - work it into my day until they are gone...
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I don't know how I'm going to resist them when they come in.
    Anyone else with this dilemma?

When they come around to sell them, I tell them, "I'll give you a donation (I usually give half of the price of two boxes of cookies) but I don't want the cookies." They are usually happy to accept the donation since it relieves them of having to transport the cookies back to me. Everybody's happy. :happy:
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    2009_04_02-Samoa.jpg

:devil:

OMG these ARE the devil! At least we can put the Thin Mints in the freezer and forget about them for a while....
  • bloomlately
    bloomlately Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I continue to buy them. I eat just the serving size and the box lasts a long time. In fact, I still have a roll of thin mints from last year in my freezer (granted, I think they got buried under the frozen veggies and I forgot about them). It's all about moderation and exerting some self control.
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    If someone suggested this, I apologize because the thread is getting long. When any group comes a knockin' (band, boy scouts, cheerleaders,, etc) I just give them the money. After all, that's what it's all about. If you must take the cookies, give them away to a neighbor or friend. I try not to take them in, because if I do, I am more likely to eat them.
  • mell6355
    mell6355 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    You can always donate them, there is a donate column instead of a cookie selection. I am a leader and have 2 girl scouts so I appreciate what cookie sales do for the girls. Everything in moderation right? I plan on enjoying my girl scout cookies just not an entire box at a time like I have done every other year!
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    I give a donation and let them have the full donation rather than buying cookies form a company that rips off the girl scouts. Plus do some research as to what is in the cookies. That will keep you from eating them.

Yep--they use the cheapest quality ingredients that the law allows and not a whole lot of $s flow back to the scouts.
  • trchristy
    trchristy Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    2009_04_02-Samoa.jpg

:devil:

my fav yummmmmm
  • FrauBleucher
    FrauBleucher Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Don't do it! Give them away or take them to work. I thought freezing them would help. WRONG, I learned to love them cold, they"re just too awesome :(
  • LadyCABMS
    LadyCABMS Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Order some and donate to charity or share with office. I do allow my self one sleeve of shortbreads and skip my morning coffee and make these my "cheat day" dessert. Sometimes I just put a dollar on the table and speed up to get by the scouts that stand in front of the grocery stores. These girls are serious about selling those cookies! They set up a stand in front of my gym last year, the toss a dollar and speed walk past was the only way I could avoid the temptation! I am a cookie MONSTER!!!
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I get them to contribute to the Girl Guides, but I bring them into work. I don't like the mint ones, and the only other ones we get here in chocolate are the cream filled ones. I can pass on them with a bit of will-power. That one in the pic on the thread looks awfully good.
  • RawTriGal
    RawTriGal Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I usually just give $5 donation and don't order any cookies... that way I'm not eating it and I'm not promoting that to anyone else either. ; )
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    Our local band boosters sell tree-ripened Florida citrus every year in the fall. It is yummy and very good for you! I wish that all the fund raisers would do this and space out their fund drives from Oct. to April. That way, I could get great grapefruit during the entire season instead of just once in the late fall. :cry: