Why Do People Stare?

Options
tricelive
tricelive Posts: 93 Member
This is my pet peeve, so forgive the immaturity of the question. This is a general question. I find a lot people staring at me; this is not a vain attempt to get compliments or produced out of conceit or narcissism. I just really hate it! For instance there is a group of people at my place of employment that every time they walk pass they stare at me, like really break there necks to see what I am doing ( maybe they know I am goofing off on MFP, lol) . Before I lost the weight they would stare as well, so that’s not it. Yeah and what about the people who gawk at you now, since you have lost weight instead of saying something. I really want to know why people stare at other people. I mean it’s okay to notice people, I am talking about down right looking in your face and not saying a word, just gazing at you…..AAAHHHHH! :mad:

Replies

• mcshoelovin22
    mcshoelovin22 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I make faces at people if they stare too long :tongue: ...like to see that unexpected response or for them to act like they were doing someting else beside being all in your face.

I'd take it as a compliment, yea it sucks but they must be envious of something.
  • Mrder37
    Mrder37 Posts: 904
    Options
    I hate that it really annoys me when you're driving and someone stares at you the whole way round the bend ahhh what are you looking at
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I have the tendency to stare at absolutely nothing. If you happen to be in my field of vision it might look like I am staring at you but believe me I am not.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    27789156.jpg
  • IslandRider
    Options
    i know! It's irritating. I finally started saying "Oh my! Did I spill on my shirt?!" then when they say "No" I say "Oh good, I thought that was why you were staring at me."

Ok, so I'm a little passive-aggressive....:devil:
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Maybe they think you are beautiful? Maybe you have spinach in your teeth.

Sometimes it's unnearving to be stared at. But if it's just somebody enjoying a nice view have a little grace and smile. Then do something silly, they'll be embarrased.

*shrug
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Most people know that staring is bad manners, and I really haven't seen much of it in my whole 38 years as an adult. I know kids will tend to stare at anything odd.

Like someone mentioned above, I will sometimes find myself deep in thought about something, my eyes kind of fixed, and if you were in my field of vision you might think I'm staring, but nope. I probably don't even see you.
  • MinisterTom
    MinisterTom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Because it takes more than a quick glance to see someones true potential and inner beauty.
  • Bug207
    Bug207 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I hate that it really annoys me when you're driving and someone stares at you the whole way round the bend ahhh what are you looking at

Ahhhh that would be me. I always have to see what the driver next to me looks like, what they're doing, etc. Sorry haha.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I drive a smart car and people stare all the time. When my son drives my car, it freaks him out.
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I have the tendency to stare at absolutely nothing. If you happen to be in my field of vision it might look like I am staring at you but believe me I am not.

^^^^^^^ this
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m78f21lsW71rbstdoo1_400.jpg

Works most of the time...
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I really don't try to stare, but if I see something that prompts me to give a good look, I will definitely do that. I saw this woman the other day who had massive sideburns, like mutton chops. I had to get a good look at that.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I dislike it too... not serious.
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    Cause there's boobs involved?

JM
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    I tend to experience the opposite, like "look away, don't make eye contact". :)
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I'll confess-- I'm a creepy people-watcher when I think no one will notice. When I'm walking, I barely make eye contact with anyone, but when I'm in the corner of a crowded room you betcha I'm staring. People are just interesting to look at! :P

If it really bothers you that much, start carrying around little slips of paper with the Rejection Hotline (or whatever random phone number you choose) on it. If someone's obviously staring, take one out and coyly slip it to them with a smile. Worst case scenario, they look at you like you're crazy and stop staring-- what you wanted, right? "Best" case scenario, they smile back, thinking they just got your number, and then get burned later! ;D
  • xFamousLastWordsx
    xFamousLastWordsx Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I used to hate when people stared at me, however I am used to it. Piercings, tattoos and purple hair don't really make you blend in :P haha...however I hate when people stare and make a nasty or disgusted face at me...I get my look might not be for everyone but geeze, how rude.
  • mcshoelovin22
    mcshoelovin22 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I may try this, cant do it but my face will likely make them **** off

1509024_o.gif
  • louisel809
    Options
    I loove a good ole stary mary sesh.....and if i am being stared at i convince myself thats it must be because im amazing and sooo not because i have a snotter in my nose