Negative calorie foods

Options

Replies

• ceh5200
    ceh5200 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as a negative calorie food. Food has calories, even if they are very few.

I think she means things like celery, you burn more calories chewing celery than there are calories in celery, it's 99% water
  • HardRockCamaro
    Options
    Although water is zero cal, I log it just to track if I am drinking enough of it.

Despite being on around 1700cals per day I still log a small side salad or the small amount of semi skimmed milk in my coffee.
    It takes seconds to do.

If the celery deal is true the numbers on thus supposed cal benefit to you are so small as to not count it.

Log everything to be disciplined, but don't go looking for 1 calorie of saving here and there, otherwise you'll be subtracting a few off the cookie you ate as you dropped a few crumbs...
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Okay, I literally laughed at loud! I'm so happy someone else caught the dandelion on that list of ridiculousness! Thanks for the laugh today!

Dandelion greens are DELICIOUS!!!! and eaten VERY commonly also dandelion wine is supposed to be quite good.
  • Toumani
    Toumani Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Look at my magnet car, this also is a great invention, it works along the same principles as negative calorie foods.

3jVxvwF.jpg
  • a_mandolin_
    a_mandolin_ Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Okay, I literally laughed at loud! I'm so happy someone else caught the dandelion on that list of ridiculousness! Thanks for the laugh today!

Dandelion greens are DELICIOUS!!!! and eaten VERY commonly also dandelion wine supposed to be quite good.

I'm sold! If they can make it into alcohol, I'll try it!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I'm curious...do you log zero calorie foods in your diary? Are we supposed to?

Yep, I log my water intake as that is the only 0 calorie "food"
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,639 Member
    Options
    I log everything, except for black coffee.

Same here, and unsweetened tea..
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,639 Member
    Options
    I tried to cut a mango once. I am certain I burned at least 130 calories in stomping around the kitchen, angrily cursing at it and eventually just brutally stabbing it over and over.

This reminds me of when I was a teenager and someone brought an unshelled coconut to our house from their vacation trip--not a small fuzzy coconut, but the whole thing as if falls off the tree, which must be a leading cause of death in many modern tropical countries as well as old Saturday morning cartoons. Without the benefit of proper tools (it was just me and my mother, who did not believe in DIY), I rode/chased that monkey across the kitchen floor for two days, giving it no more damage in the end than a seriously inelegant lobotomy with a phillips head screwdriver and a hammer. I seem to recall balancing the gouged out hole over a glass only to get about two ounces of fluid out, and being so mad I just let my mother have it all to drink.

There is no moral to this story, apart from knowing when to give up in the face of diminishing returns.
  • dispatchbug
    dispatchbug Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I log foods as the calories in them, I do not consider how many calories it takes to digest the food. If it takes more to digest then it will help ensure weight loss if I log everything as a positive calorie as I will eat less of other foods.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I tried to cut a mango once. I am certain I burned at least 130 calories in stomping around the kitchen, angrily cursing at it and eventually just brutally stabbing it over and over.

This reminds me of when I was a teenager and someone brought an unshelled coconut to our house from their vacation trip--not a small fuzzy coconut, but the whole thing as if falls off the tree, which must be a leading cause of death in many modern tropical countries as well as old Saturday morning cartoons. Without the benefit of proper tools (it was just me and my mother, who did not believe in DIY), I rode/chased that monkey across the kitchen floor for two days, giving it no more damage in the end than a seriously inelegant lobotomy with a phillips head screwdriver and a hammer. I seem to recall balancing the gouged out hole over a glass only to get about two ounces of fluid out, and being so mad I just let my mother have it all to drink.

There is no moral to this story, apart from knowing when to give up in the face of diminishing returns.

This.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I think she means things like celery, you burn more calories chewing celery than there are calories in celery, it's 99% water
    No.
  • kaylinn9
    kaylinn9 Posts: 112
    Options
    I eat mustard everyday but I don't log it because it has 0 calories.

It's up to your discretion, but I think that if you log 0 calories, you'd still get some sodium into your system. If you wanna keep track of your sodium intake, you should definitely log everything. You don't have to eat it back.
  • dangerxbadger
    dangerxbadger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Why do you people hate science?

Calories! How do they work?!

Hahahahah
    Yay.
  • dangerxbadger
    dangerxbadger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as a negative calorie food. Food has calories, even if they are very few.

And that other 1% has calories in it.
  • Sharkington
    Options
    I log everything.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I dont log tea. I make it loose leaf, 0 everything. I log it as water
  • trollsb
    trollsb Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    NO DIET SODAS! bad stuff. look at the ingredients, and if you can't pronounce 'em, don't eat 'em.

I can pronounce all the chemical names without any dramas at all....university chemistry FTW
    yes! while you are logging cleaning, food prep and sex, you can add chewing too!!!

I do! If the cleaning breaks a sweat, when the food prep is several hours doing butchery or making pastry or pasta and kneading by hand, sex when it's for work - it's like doing squats and or yoga for a few hours and chewing all day totally counts it has helped tighten up my lower face for starters!
  • Joluru
    Joluru Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    yes! while you are logging cleaning, food prep and sex, you can add chewing too!!!

Wait, you can count cleaning, food prep, and sex as exercise? Really? I had no idea and haven't added those; they're just LIFE to me, not exercise. All those uneaten exercise calories...
  • Joluru
    Joluru Posts: 89 Member
    Options

I do! If the cleaning breaks a sweat, when the food prep is several hours doing butchery or making pastry or pasta and kneading by hand, sex when it's for work - it's like doing squats and or yoga for a few hours and chewing all day totally counts it has helped tighten up my lower face for starters!

You're having sex for work?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

You're having sex for work?

Sex doesn't count when it's just for fun!