PISSED. Squats & lunges made me bigger.. wtf!!

Options

Replies

• dpots76
    Options
    women are different -low weights high reps. That will slim you down and build muscle but not bulky muscle.
  • kitka82
    kitka82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Oh mys gosh, I'm a total pear shape too and I SO feel where you're coming from. I just started doing lunges and I'm kinda afraid my butt's gonna get bigger! My butt and thighs are already huge, I certainly don't want them any bigger.

I know a lot of people like the thick, muscled, curvy bum and thighs, but I DON'T want it. It's looks great on other girls, but I personally want to look more androgynous, I don't want to look ultra feminine. I don't want "child bearing hips". Not every girl is the same or cares about what dudes think of their *kitten*. I really couldn't care less.

*edit: Just realized this thread is hella old! lol >_<

Good. More @$$ for me. Do all the squats. Gain all the @$$. ........... wait I think that came out wrong.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    Better stop running, too, then. Also could increase your thigh size.

A more realistic approach would be to give your program some serious time to work. Fat loss isn't linear or quick.
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    women are different -low weights high reps. That will slim you down and build muscle but not bulky muscle.

What? :huh:
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I'm confused about why it matters what shape you are, won't everyone's muscles develop the more they use them? It's not like my legs are going to get smaller if I'm an apple or hourglass if I do squats, idk what else I'd expect
  • shontaymonroe
    Options
    Yes, squats and lunges (especially weighted) make you gain muscle in those areas and you will gain inches. I would suggest cardio and HIIT. Any kind of cardio will make you lose fat all over and you will lose inches all over. But to make yourself "less pear shaped" I would suggest doing more upper body workouts and a lot of cardio. This should make you jmore porportioned. Good Luck!
  • princessage117
    princessage117 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    You look gorgeous!
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    [/quote] Quoted: Oh and body somatypes are pseudoscientific nonsense people use as an excuse imo
    [/quote]

Response: I never really thought of them as science at all. I always thought they were just descriptors. Specifically, they are used with success in deciding how to dress yourself appropriately in women's fashion. I don't know how anyone would try to use them *scientifically*.
  • Athena125
    Athena125 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have had similar issues. I noticed at FIRST, I get bigger. Then after 8 -12 weeks, the fat goes away. I have a bigger tummy, butt and thighs. I have had success in the past, and it is sort of happening again (I am gaining muscle but it's under the fat it seems). I can tell I look better. I believe after the 2-3 months passes, my body will turn around and start getting rid of the fat.
  • jenniferrusso7393
    jenniferrusso7393 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    My thighs get bigger when I am fit and running-- if you dont want to bulk up-- dont do exercises that build muscle mass...
  • MellyGibson
    MellyGibson Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth:

I started squats and lunges 12 weeks ago. I gained a half an inch on my thighs at first and was actually happy because I gained muscle. I just redid my measurements on Sunday and I've lost an inch. So in 8 weeks + 1/2 inch. In 12 weeks - 1 inch. See how that worked? I had patience and trusted the process and I started to lose.
  • Erykah3584
    Erykah3584 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    To me it looks like you have an amazing body! A body that most women would want including myself. Why is it that we always want what we dont have? I have no booty whatsever. I do heavy lifting squats, lunges, leg presses, ect. I dont think I will ever have a curvy, volumptuous lower half, which is my goal. Be proud of it! If you keep working at slimming down, you will get there. But dont get angry that your booty is getting more muscle and more firm. How is that bad?
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    not gunna read all the hoopla here.

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/cardio-vs-strength-training-workouts

conclusion: do both cardio and weights for a well-rounded fitness program.

I looked at your pics and I don't see what there is to not like. I WORKED for my booty. WORKED HARD. I did only cardio for years and ended up with a completely flat bum. Embarassing.
    I lifted and now I have a better shape.

Here's the thing, you can't change the genes you got. But you can be the best you that you can be. I think you should embrace that because it's beautiful.

nikewomenad.jpg
  • astrobob76
    Options
    all this talk about pears is makin me hungry. pears are YUMMY :wink:
  • subconscious_ink
    subconscious_ink Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Why is this thread still ongoing? The op was in May of last year :ohwell:
  • barrattandrew
    Options
    oh cmon, is there anyone who seriously has had success in that area without trying to say "relax, just an inch" how about you relax and actually say something HELPFUL?

Keep squatting. Eat at a deficit.

This
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    Why is this thread still ongoing? The op was in May of last year :ohwell:
    cuz someone commented and that made it pop up in the recent threads! doh!
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Lunges and squats build bulky muscle. Muscle does burn fat, but if you're looking to be toned and lean instead of having bulkier muscle, I'd suggest trying pilates or a ballet class. The kind of muscle isolation and resistance that is used for those activites yeilds lean muscle. Sounds like maybe that's what you're after? Anyway, just a thought.

Just no. No. *facepalm*
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Feeling on the downside today. I've started to do squats & lunges as reading tips from some MFP members being pear shaped or well carrying most fat on thighs/hips.... and with also eating healthy it has only made them BIGGER. i'm not even overexaggerating, I gained an INCH. an INCH!!! Yes they have more muscle but I was aiming to slim them down / lose inches.

What works for some of you doesn't work for EVERYONE.
    I just want to give up. My jeans feel super tight on that area and a girl in the gym who is pear shaped that i've seen have great success told me she stopped doing squats/lunges due to the fact that pear shapes don't always have the best success in that area, so she does alot of cardio and HIIT..

NOW.. to anyone who REALLY has some success stories in that area.. what SERIOUSLY has helped you???

IMO increase the weight to a 3x5 or 5x5 so you won't get the sarcoplasmic hypertrophy of the muscle.
    You get the myofibrilar hypertrophy instead.
    Eat just below TDEE for best results.
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain!

<---This is the results of lunges and heavy squats! I need help reversing the look of muscular legs. Just in case it is relevant, I am hybrid apple-pear shaped...