Anyone else shy about working out in front of their spouse?

Options

Replies

• leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I am not embarrassed to work out in front of my husband, but he's a bit embarrassed to do some work outs in front of me. He says he doesn't want me to hear him breathing heavy. So when he does his workouts and I'm at home, I just go in the other room and do something else. No biggie.

You could ask your husband to do the same.
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    My husband is supportive and honestly, he could use some working out too. Maybe you could you ask your spouse if he'd workout with you instead of watching--then it's a joint effort.
  • prettymorbidity
    prettymorbidity Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I would always ask my husband to go do something while I worked out, but after time I don't care if he watches me... Most of the time he just watches tv while I am watching my workout videos on the computer... Show him what you got!! If anything he may become more attractive to you:) when he sees you working so hard!!! After I am finished I usually sing "I workout!!" or "I'm sexy and I know it"...lol Life is to short!!! Show it OFF!!! :)

hahahaha that may help me ! im gonna try to workout in front of boyfriend tonight and im gonna sing that the first comment he makes!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    My husband is too smart and respectful and mature to laugh at what I'm doing. I would nevertheless NEVER subject his poor little eyes to watching me workout...until I am at goal weight that is! Then he is going to get the surprise of his life when he comes home early on one of his "surprise I'm home early days" to find me doing yoga downward dog in a glitter thong and hoody sweatshirt, with sparkle high tops.
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    My husband teaches martial arts, and I'm super shy of practicing any martial arts in front of him... Or strength or calisthenics because that's what he does professionally.

But I'm a runner, and I can run circles around him. So he's shy about running with me.

BUT we both work on things together, because I love when he teaches me Tai Chi and Chi Gong, and he loves getting help on his running form from me. We just try to be respectful and supportive. But sometimes we both end up laughing over the silly things we do. We just try to give each other space. I've found the most difficult thing about it for me is I get super frustrated when I learn something new, and he hates when I'm frustrated. Don't have that problem when I'm the one teaching him, so I try and keep that perspective - everybody starts from where they are and travels their own path.
  • irenematilda
    irenematilda Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I thought I was the only one that felt like this too. Silly, when I think that my husband has seen me giving birth - writhing around in agony and screaming the place down while looking like a beached whale - but he already laughs at my dancing (thankfully my youngest son is old enough to go to the odd gig with me now, and having grown up with it probably thinks ALL mums resemble convulsing windmills when they dance and so takes no notice :)). Hubby is almost 6' 3" (a foot taller than I am), and is built like a bag of knitting needles. He has no clue what it's like to carry extra poundage, and isn't always exactly the last word in tact and sensitivity either.

There's no way in the world I would work out in front of him at my present weight, but I can see that having to change when I get back down to a weight that's a lot more acceptable (to me), because finding the space and privacy to work out in seems harder than doing the workout itself a lot of the time. My husband works from home, as do I, and so there's seldom a time when he's not here if I am. I get round it at the moment by working out after everyone has gone to bed, and I've also got an interval timer set to mute on my phone, which goes everywhere with me so that I can fit in brief sessions whenever a private opportunity presents itself to me. I've a feeling that I've become a lot more familiar with my bathroom floor in recent weeks than I ought to be :)

I know my husband is embarrassed by bits of his skinny body too, though - I think I've probably seen his legs about twice in twenty years of marriage. I've a feeling that retaliating to any perceived slights by telling him that he's got kneecaps like knots in cotton won't help us notch up another year, so think I'd better stick to working out in private for while :)
  • reneeroberts_88
    reneeroberts_88 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I feel silly! I tell him to go find something to do if I am doing a workout video. I don't feel like that on a machine so much!
  • SexyLovinmeCook
    SexyLovinmeCook Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    Not at all...He just looks and be really impressed with the things I can do....He says actually that he can't believe that I go thru all that...lol
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    No although I really don't work out in front of him when I'm at home because he's usually in the basement working. He has, however, come upstairs and peeked in on me where he laughed and imitated me and I told him to get his butt in here and do it because I guarantee he wouldn't be able to LOL.

We work out together at the gym anyway.
  • sirabe
    sirabe Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I truly don't like working out in front of anyone in my family. I feel sefl consiscious about my form.
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I'm super-awkward-looking when I do exercise DVDs, so my husband will come out to make fun of me...but then I challenge him to a race, and he knows he's beat. :) Healthy competition.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I used to be.

I love my husband, but he can be such an *kitten* at times.

There are still some things I won't do in front of him, but others are okay. It's even kind of nice because he'll give me a thumbs up at times. I ordered him not to speak to me when I'm exercising.
  • lizlkbg
    lizlkbg Posts: 566
    Options
    It doesn't make me shy but it irritates me.
    Worse than watching the whole thing is when someone comes in during the cool-down and thinks that is what the whole workout was comprised of ! "That doesn't look too hard." Urgh!
  • mkcmurphy
    mkcmurphy Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    It really wrecks my concentration if he's watching, so I avoid working out when he's around. I go to the gym most of the time; he has no interest in going there.

Same, and same with the kids being around.
  • janeilm89
    Options
    My SO is banned from the bedroom during my workout's. He's one of those types that can't keep their mouth shut.

"Squat lower!" "You're not doing it right!" "Put some effort into it!" All this while I'm gasping for air and feeling like my legs are going to give out, lol!
  • soccerme8
    Options
    I don't b/c of the same reason, he says he won't laugh but I know he will, he sometimes thinks that I don't really work out at all even though I have lost 38 lbs, how else does he think I do it?
  • Mathguy1
    Mathguy1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I dont understand the desire to want to watch someone exercise at home. Whenever a gf wanted to do a home exercise DVD, I would leave the room and read a book, watch TV, or run an errand elsewhere.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I used to dread my ex watching me because I had roommates in college who seriously grabbed popcorn one day and ridiculed me as I worked out for 45 minutes back in college.

Then I discovered my ex reallllllllly liked watching me workout. To the point where it annoyed me even more because he never worked out so I felt like here he was getting his jollies but I'm doing all the work.

If your man is like my roommates, then yeah I can understand, but most guys think it's hot.
  • jennmodugno
    jennmodugno Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I send my husband away to his office before I work out in the living room each night. :P Sometimes he sneaks a peek, but generally he knows I get very self-conscious if he's watching - mostly because he's not a martial artist and I know I look a little goofy to him. *I* think I look just fine, but he finds the whole thing a little embarrassing, so I just do my thing while he's busy. ;)
  • icmuse
    icmuse Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Hell NO!

We usually workout together in the morning in the house.
    Both of us are doing a different routine right now. I am on Yoga kick, he is doing BodyRock (HIIT).

I love it!!! We are in the same area doing different things, but reaching same fitness goals :-)