1200 calorie girls

Options

Replies

• twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    So, for me, it's not about trolling because I think I know better than these women. I do know better, and I want to help them. Sometimes I am an arrogant @sshole about it, but most times, I want to help. The problem is that most women don't want to hear it, they are way too fearful about gaining a few pounds. They would rather go to the extreme than think about their long-term health.

Men are different, in general, so I would not expect you to understand, but I encourage you to think more about this, because most of the people in these threads are young women. That is a problem.

Hmm Granola, I think you need to stop sniffing the clouds and come down from your high horse...I take great offence at your thinking that you know better than `these` women

Your personal opinions about `these` women` or any women, are certainly arrogant (as you said that you feel you are)

Your comment also about men are also really not necessary and totally without basis.

If you want to be condescending then at least try to be factual and keep your opinions to yourself?

In life, some people know better than others. From sociological and psychological perspective, I know better.

It would take a long time to explain to you the sociological perspective here, but I assume you understand that eating disorders occur more often in young women than in men, so there is clearly something in our culture and the way we raise boys and girls differently that is going on there.

I mean, I thought it was pretty common knowledge that women in our culture are valued more so based on what they look like than men are. Women are taught they should be quiet, not take up space, and the fitness industry for women is behind about 20 years at least. We are taught that to be valued we should be thin, gentle, and certainly not assertive.

I’ve also eaten at 1200 calories a day or less. I know disordered eating habits and thoughts, and I know what it’s like to be desperate to lose weight and think that it’s the only way.

I’m better than that now and I know better. I’m healthier in body and mind for it. I have plenty of female friends here who have been through the same thing and know better now.

Granola, I have been a psychologist for 36 years and I am sure I am in a position to understand the human psyche.

That said I do not feel a need to assert an opinion to put down women in general based on an opinion that I do not share with you.

I do not know what culture you share, but the one you have mentioned is certainly not one in the developed Western world.

I am sorry that you have suffered an ED but it is not appropriate behaviour to assume that `these` women on MFP share your culture, views or past eating disorders.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

^so right. Read that before. Dont expect people here to. Some of them don't really care and are set in their ways, thinking they're SO different from everyone else.

the worst thing is that they automatically assume that anyone who questions their adherence to 1200 calories is attacking them, when it's the exact opposite. i don't go to those pro-anorexia sites looking for women on 1200 calories just so i can hector them about how dangerous what they're doing is for their body. in fact, i don't care AT ALL what people on sites like that do or do not do. but those people on this site, named My FITNESS Pal, i assume want to become fit and healthy. you can't do that if you're starving yourself. forget the people who really can be on 1200 calories in a healthy way because that happens to be what is appropriate for them due to their BMR/TDEE. forget the people who have medical conditions and are under a doctor's care (although it would be nice if they'd disclose that information right up front when the post threads about how great 1200 calorie diets are for them). i'm only talking about those women (and some men) who have latched onto the 1200 calorie number for no defensible reason whatsoever, and here's why... i believe alot of them are lying about 1200. i believe alot of them are actually trying to live on 700 or 800 or 900 calories a day, but are too ashamed to admit that. but they see some support here for 1200, so they are willing to admit to that number. so i'll play that game and "pretend" that we are really all talking about no less than 1200. but i'm not fooled. i think there are lots of people eating less and those are the ones i want to help, if i can. the only way i know how to help the
    m is to occasionally pop into one of these threads and lend some support to those folks who are stating from personal experience and from an understanding of the scientific literature.

Exactly! Some people are unreachable, but others arent. Others eat 1200 cuz tht is all they know. Tht is what happened to me. I lost muscle too. Now I'm 5'5 120 25% bf...skinny fat. I wish I knew thn what I know now.

...and that's why you are making the effort on these threads, and that's why people like me try to support you. it may not help the people that are actively arguing with you, but i have to assume there are others out there just reading the thread and not participating, who can be helped. it's worth fighting the good fight on their behalf, especially the ones who are on 800 calorie diets and would never, ever confess to that here.
  • gillad
    gillad Posts: 15
    Options
    well I was on 1200 but now changed my goals to 1 lb per week and now have 1420 cals to play with. I now don't feel like I'm failing or starving myself and most days with my exercise am well within the 1200 anyway. ..still losing weight on it.
    exercise and eat less ... simple!
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Not me! I prefer to retain my sanity, hair, and health for the rest of my life. :flowerforyou:

And my muscles! :)

My muscles look pretty good!!

You look amazing- That thing about hair not growing - I wish..then I wouldn't need to colour the roots it so often.
  • _granola
    _granola Posts: 326
    Options
    So, for me, it's not about trolling because I think I know better than these women. I do know better, and I want to help them. Sometimes I am an arrogant @sshole about it, but most times, I want to help. The problem is that most women don't want to hear it, they are way too fearful about gaining a few pounds. They would rather go to the extreme than think about their long-term health.

Men are different, in general, so I would not expect you to understand, but I encourage you to think more about this, because most of the people in these threads are young women. That is a problem.

Hmm Granola, I think you need to stop sniffing the clouds and come down from your high horse...I take great offence at your thinking that you know better than `these` women

Your personal opinions about `these` women` or any women, are certainly arrogant (as you said that you feel you are)

Your comment also about men are also really not necessary and totally without basis.

If you want to be condescending then at least try to be factual and keep your opinions to yourself?

In life, some people know better than others. From sociological and psychological perspective, I know better.

It would take a long time to explain to you the sociological perspective here, but I assume you understand that eating disorders occur more often in young women than in men, so there is clearly something in our culture and the way we raise boys and girls differently that is going on there.

I mean, I thought it was pretty common knowledge that women in our culture are valued more so based on what they look like than men are. Women are taught they should be quiet, not take up space, and the fitness industry for women is behind about 20 years at least. We are taught that to be valued we should be thin, gentle, and certainly not assertive.

I’ve also eaten at 1200 calories a day or less. I know disordered eating habits and thoughts, and I know what it’s like to be desperate to lose weight and think that it’s the only way.

I’m better than that now and I know better. I’m healthier in body and mind for it. I have plenty of female friends here who have been through the same thing and know better now.

Granola, I have been a psychologist for 36 years and I am sure I am in a position to understand the human psyche.

That said I do not feel a need to assert an opinion to put down women in general based on an opinion that I do not share with you.

I do not know what culture you share, but the one you have mentioned is certainly not one in the developed Western world.

I am sorry that you have suffered an ED but it is not appropriate behaviour to assume that `these` women on MFP share your culture, views or past eating disorders.

I have not suffered from an eating disorder, but I find it interesting that you called it that, considering I did the very same things and had the very same thoughts as many of the women in this thread are describing. Eating 1200 calories or less per day, for no prescribed medical reason, is disordered eating, and I can almost guarantee these women are having disordered thoughts about their bodies as well, whether that came first or as the result of their nutritionally deficient, obsessive diets.

I am talking about the developed Western world. It's a commonly studied and understood sociological theory. I suppose you think institutional racism and gender inequality no longer exist either? You just simply don't think we live in a culture that values men and women differently? That's insane.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,145 MFP Staff
    Options
    Hey Posters,

This topic may need to be locked...

When the community does not allow for objective responses the topic will become as a whole, divisive. When polarization of this kind happens topics will almost always be locked.

I want to remind folks that our community guidelines include:

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.
    b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic within a forum topic. Off-topic or derogatory remarks are disrespectful. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

Thank you for your understanding and help in keeping MFP a supportive, friendly community.

Respectfully,
    Olivia
    MFP Community Manager
  • nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    Options

^so right. Read that before. Dont expect people here to. Some of them don't really care and are set in their ways, thinking they're SO different from everyone else.

the worst thing is that they automatically assume that anyone who questions their adherence to 1200 calories is attacking them, when it's the exact opposite. i don't go to those pro-anorexia sites looking for women on 1200 calories just so i can hector them about how dangerous what they're doing is for their body. in fact, i don't care AT ALL what people on sites like that do or do not do. but those people on this site, named My FITNESS Pal, i assume want to become fit and healthy. you can't do that if you're starving yourself. forget the people who really can be on 1200 calories in a healthy way because that happens to be what is appropriate for them due to their BMR/TDEE. forget the people who have medical conditions and are under a doctor's care (although it would be nice if they'd disclose that information right up front when the post threads about how great 1200 calorie diets are for them). i'm only talking about those women (and some men) who have latched onto the 1200 calorie number for no defensible reason whatsoever, and here's why... i believe alot of them are lying about 1200. i believe alot of them are actually trying to live on 700 or 800 or 900 calories a day, but are too ashamed to admit that. but they see some support here for 1200, so they are willing to admit to that number. so i'll play that game and "pretend" that we are really all talking about no less than 1200. but i'm not fooled. i think there are lots of people eating less and those are the ones i want to help, if i can. the only way i know how to help them is to occasionally pop into one of these threads and lend some support to those folks who are stating from personal experience and from an understanding of the scientific literature, that there are consequences to under-eating for a long period of time. some of those consequences can be avoided just by raising the calorie level to a more realistic goal.

Just one thing I want to address here: no one has any right to ask them to disclose medical information. When a woman on 1200 calories (or any intake) asks for advice, says they aren't full, etc., it's fine to drop links to TDEE calculators, to IPOARM info, whatever, and leave. There is no reason to misdirect the thread away from advice on how to create a healthy 1200 calorie diet (because yes, it can be done and yes, there are women that should be there). There is no reason to make the OP feel like she has to disclose her medical situation, if any. You can leave your extra info without condemning and without operating under the assumption that she is wrong.

The orignal post was to find pals with a similar caloric intake. That is all it needed to be.
  • faerychiq85
    Options
    my goal right now is 1300 calories a day, and i wanna stay around 20 g of fat. sometimes i find it hard to stay within my goal. especially when my mother-in-law isn't supportive and is always cooking/buying fatty foods. but i try to keep active to offset what i eat. most days i jog 3 miles. so far i've lost 11 lbs in about 2 weeks. i wanna lose 50 lbs or so by june.

<a href=http://soundfrost.org/ >youtube downloader</a>
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    my goal right now is 1300 calories a day, and i wanna stay around 20 g of fat. sometimes i find it hard to stay within my goal. especially when my mother-in-law isn't supportive and is always cooking/buying fatty foods. but i try to keep active to offset what i eat. most days i jog 3 miles. so far i've lost 11 lbs in about 2 weeks. i wanna lose 50 lbs or so by june.

20g of fat is too low. You should eat at least .45g for each pound of lean body mass that you have. For most women that is going to be around 50g + or - a bit.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

the worst thing is that they automatically assume that anyone who questions their adherence to 1200 calories is attacking them, when it's the exact opposite. i don't go to those pro-anorexia sites looking for women on 1200 calories just so i can hector them about how dangerous what they're doing is for their body. in fact, i don't care AT ALL what people on sites like that do or do not do. but those people on this site, named My FITNESS Pal, i assume want to become fit and healthy. you can't do that if you're starving yourself. forget the people who really can be on 1200 calories in a healthy way because that happens to be what is appropriate for them due to their BMR/TDEE. forget the people who have medical conditions and are under a doctor's care (although it would be nice if they'd disclose that information right up front when the post threads about how great 1200 calorie diets are for them). i'm only talking about those women (and some men) who have latched onto the 1200 calorie number for no defensible reason whatsoever, and here's why... i believe alot of them are lying about 1200. i believe alot of them are actually trying to live on 700 or 800 or 900 calories a day, but are too ashamed to admit that. but they see some support here for 1200, so they are willing to admit to that number. so i'll play that game and "pretend" that we are really all talking about no less than 1200. but i'm not fooled. i think there are lots of people eating less and those are the ones i want to help, if i can. the only way i know how to help them is to occasionally pop into one of these threads and lend some support to those folks who are stating from personal experience and from an understanding of the scientific literature, that there are consequences to under-eating for a long period of time. some of those consequences can be avoided just by raising the calorie level to a more realistic goal.

Just one thing I want to address here: no one has any right to ask them to disclose medical information. When a woman on 1200 calories (or any intake) asks for advice, says they aren't full, etc., it's fine to drop links to TDEE calculators, to IPOARM info, whatever, and leave. There is no reason to misdirect the thread away from advice on how to create a healthy 1200 calorie diet (because yes, it can be done and yes, there are women that should be there). There is no reason to make the OP feel like she has to disclose her medical situation, if any. You can leave your extra info without condemning and without operating under the assumption that she is wrong.

The orignal post was to find pals with a similar caloric intake. That is all it needed to be.

on the other hand asking for advice without providing all pertinent information is somewhat pointless
  • jenilou78
    jenilou78 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've been on a 1200 calorie diet for 100 days. In those 100 days I have lost 35 lbs. My goal is to be down another 35 lbs in the next 100 days :), starting to integrate more exercise as the weather gets better and I eat low fat low cal but not low sugar :)
  • twinketta
    Options
    I respectfully disagree with Granola that has changed her Avatar from her face to biceps? A t shirt exclaiming `diet and religion` What is that all about??
  • freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Man, if someone ever asks me what the best way to confuse someone about weight loss would be, I would say to send them to the MFP forums. :P
  • Nation5
    Options
    I'm also doing the 1200 cals and I have been doing it for about 14 weeks!
  • chopin02
    Options
    I am in my 2nd week and having a lot of trouble with late night snacking! Help!
  • all4my3boyz
    all4my3boyz Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/874820-1100-calorie-diet

Please check this, learn about BMR and TDEE and adjust accordingly

YES!! Thank you! Don't be fooled into thinking you have to be hungry on 1200 calories a day to lose weight, it's a scam!
  • mrsmac167
    mrsmac167 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi I am managing to stay within 1200 a day as long as I carefully record all intake and exercise. Find that drinking more water keeps food cravings at bay. Managing to lose up to 2lb a week with very little excercise:flowerforyou:
  • gpizzy
    gpizzy Posts: 171
    Options
    Eating too little is just as bad as eating too much. Your body needs the nutrition and energy it gets from food to be able to work at an optimal level. It also needs water. 1200 NET calories would be fine, but eating that much and working out, not safe.
  • twinketta
    Options

I have not suffered from an eating disorder, but I find it interesting that you called it that, considering I did the very same things and had the very same thoughts as many of the women in this thread are describing. Eating 1200 calories or less per day, for no prescribed medical reason, is disordered eating, and I can almost guarantee these women are having disordered thoughts about their bodies as well, whether that came first or as the result of their nutritionally deficient, obsessive diets.

I am talking about the developed Western world. It's a commonly studied and understood sociological theory. I suppose you think institutional racism and gender inequality no longer exist either? You just simply don't think we live in a culture that values men and women differently? That's insane.
    I am not going to dignify you with an answer Granola. I will let you research life!
  • mizzesevetooya
    Options
    I am
This discussion has been closed.