Waitress fired for posting this online

Options

Replies

• AJL_Daddy
    AJL_Daddy Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    From what I can tell it was never said if the other 19 people left a tip on the table. From the messages here we also don't know what kind of service the waitress gave. I have been in large groups and been served the wrong food, very slow, attitude etc. Should I be required to pay the tip?
    We walk into a restaurant sit down and have to wait to be waited on then we have to tip. We walk into a retail establishment and people wait on us, friendly, nice helpful and it is not a requirement and we don't tip. Something is messed up. I feel the restaurants need to pay their people like every other place of employment has to at least minimum wage. The price of food may go up but then we would not be required to tip. It becomes an option.

The waitress shoul not have posted the receipt putting the place where she works in bad light. The Pastor should not have written what she did because it is not the waitresses fault. But by placing the article on line the waitress lowered herself to the level of the person she was putting down. Two wrongs don't make a right.

The pastor wasnt complaining about her service, just that fact that she didnt want to leave a tip I think she would have mentioned that if it was a problem, after all she didnt have a problem dragging GOD into it!

Why shouldn't she mention God. She's a PASTOR for goodness sake!
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Umm, I expect her to use God in the right way. She now admits: "I’ve brought embarrassment to my church and ministry.”
  • AJL_Daddy
    Options
    Why SHOULD a sevrer who brings crappy food get 18% when God, creator of, EVERYTHING, gets 10% (the standard church giving amount called TITHING)? I like this Pastor!
  • Deipneus
    Options
    I like this Pastor!
    I can see that.
  • AmyDee2
    Options
    My Granny Jo advised me when dating a new guy to pay attention to how he treats people around him, not just how he treats me. How a guy treats a waiter/waitress is a bigger indicator of character than whether he opens my door. This pastor may be a God-fearing Christian but must have missed class the day they taught "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" in seminary. Shame on her. I agree the waitress showed poor judgement and should have blacked out the signature/personal info. But is the pastor proud of herself for tipping zero and then getting her fired for something petty? So much for forgiveness and showing charity to others, more lessons this pastor apparently didn't learn.

I couldn't have said it any better...I totally agree 200% !!!:wink:
  • GinZing
    Options
    There were two bad judgment calls in this situation, but neither were from the management.

The Pastor would have made a much better impression if she had tipped an extra 2% on top of the 18%.

From what I've read, the server that was fired was not the one that waited on the table but another employee who uploaded the reciept to a public site on the internet. It doesn't matter if I don't agree with what was written on it, there wasn't any effort made to protect the customer's identity. Banks are public places, but that doesn't mean it's okay for them to upload my last pitifull deposit slip to the internet as a joke. Violating privacy isn't the same as violating a law sometimes, but it doesn't mean it is any better.

I hope both parties learned a lesson on how to be more socially responisble. My favorite comment so far on this story was from Facebook. "My coach always said to give 110%, but I think he was undenominational."
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Why SHOULD a sevrer who brings crappy food get 18% when God, creator of, EVERYTHING, gets 10% (the standard church giving amount called TITHING)? I like this Pastor!

Wow...just...wow.

Disagreeing with the cultural expectation for a certain percentage of total cost as a tip is one thing.

Not seeing how that disagreement shouldn't involve bringing religion into the equation...I don't even know...
  • d_Mode
    d_Mode Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    And she could have been a crappy server. Who knows?

From how she tips...probably a crappy pastor and a total pain in the @ss to server.
  • AJL_Daddy
    Options

Wow...just...wow.

Disagreeing with the cultural expectation for a certain percentage of total cost as a tip is one thing.

Not seeing how that disagreement shouldn't involve bringing religion into the equation...I don't even know...

another Atheist. Poor America.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Umm, I expect her to use God in the right way. She now admits: "I’ve brought embarrassment to my church and ministry.”

Not a good enough admission. What she should admit is that she isn't practicing what she preaches by getting snarky with a waitress over a tip and dragging her god into it as justification. Completely not Christlike.
  • Deipneus
    Options
    I like this Pastor!
    I can see that.

You must be an Atheist Liberal.
    Aahh, the name calling starts. I knew it was a matter of time before someone who admires this horrible pastor would stoop to that.

To the contrary, I am offended precisely because I am Christian. No, I am not a liberal. I am a business owner who has learned from the best that if you want employees who take of the customers, take care of the employee.
  • AJL_Daddy
    Options
    I like this Pastor!
    I can see that.

You must be an Atheist Liberal.
    [/quote]Aahh, the name calling starts. I knew it was a matter of time that someone who admires this horrible pastor would stoop to that.

To the contrary, I am offended precisely because I am Christian. No, I am not a liberal. I am a business owner who has learned from the best that if you want employees who take of the customers, take care of the employee.
    [/quote]

I have thoroughly enjoyed arguing with you over this completely useless story!
  • kazmurphblin
    kazmurphblin Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    My Granny Jo advised me when dating a new guy to pay attention to how he treats people around him, not just how he treats me. How a guy treats a waiter/waitress is a bigger indicator of character than whether he opens my door. This pastor may be a God-fearing Christian but must have missed class the day they taught "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" in seminary. Shame on her. I agree the waitress showed poor judgement and should have blacked out the signature/personal info. But is the pastor proud of herself for tipping zero and then getting her fired for something petty? So much for forgiveness and showing charity to others, more lessons this pastor apparently didn't learn.

Yuor Granny is indeed wise and should sit this Pastor woman down for a well deserved 'slap'
  • AJL_Daddy
    Options

^^^ Best argument on either side yet that I have read. So many irrational people on both sides. The gentleman who is arguing Customer Privacy is also making a very valid point!
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I think you *should* tip, just less if service is bad. However, I have sometimes not left a tip if someone else at the table was leaving a tip large enough that it was intended to cover mine. sometimes my group splits things up like that. The comment was an unnecessary addition, but sometimes people are mean, that's what you face working the service industry. You know that going into it. It SUCKS when you don't receive a tip but for every person like that, there's someone like me who generally tips at LEAST 20%. You win some you lose some.

She should remain fired because that's personal information and it's super easy to steal that stuff. Now this chick's signature in online, you think that could be forged easier now? Ridiculous.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Wow...just...wow.

Catholic actually. I feel sorry for you.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Wow...just...wow.

In before he calls you '*kitten* of Babylon' or some other ridiculous tripe that the average Baptist likes to throw around about Catholics.
  • AJL_Daddy
    Options
    Wow...just...wow.

My true feeling on this story is, I'm torn. On the one side, due unto others. But, on the other side, the customers privacy was compromised. The fact that this made 11 pages is just dumb. Shows how opinionated and hard head people can be.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I think you *should* tip, just less if service is bad. However, I have sometimes not left a tip if someone else at the table was leaving a tip large enough that it was intended to cover mine. sometimes my group splits things up like that. The comment was an unnecessary addition, but sometimes people are mean, that's what you face working the service industry. You know that going into it. It SUCKS when you don't receive a tip but for every person like that, there's someone like me who generally tips at LEAST 20%. You win some you lose some.

She should remain fired because that's personal information and it's super easy to steal that stuff. Now this chick's signature in online, you think that could be forged easier now? Ridiculous.

I do tip less if the service is bad. Never less than %15, though, the poor server might be new, have suffered a death in the family or some other horrible thing that has thrown him/her off stride, there might be issues in the kitchen that the server can't control, or the server might have too many tables going because they're shorthanded that night.

If the service is acceptable I tip %20.

I tip more the better the service is. I've left +%50 tips before and I'm far from rich. I also tip more if I know for sure the server is new. It's a tough job, I've done it. It does usually pay better than minimum wage, but minimum wage isn't even a living wage, so why is that an excuse for entitled people to stiff their servers?

If you don't want to tip, go in, order, carry out, eat at home, fetch your own damn drinks, then clean up after yourselves.
  • amselby81
    amselby81 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Lots of responses, so maybe someone has said this already. Does anyone find it funny how "pastor" is squished above his name? Like, if he was really signing it, "Pastor Alex Bell" would he have put it in front of his name? It could have been added by whoever posted this online.