Whats the one thing that set you off to want to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• MucGay
    MucGay Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Had always been a size 12 and up and up until before I started this "PROJECT", I was a size 18. I do not want to look at the of back of a clothing rack (since they usually sized them smaller to bigger) and it seems the biggest size is 20 @ certain clothing stores (and even some only up to 14 or 16!)

That pants rack was sending me a message to finally get down to buisness!
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    It wasn't anything big or dramatic. I was overweight but healthy and my doctor wasn't too concerned and it was rarely ever brought up.
    But my doctor put me on birth control to regulate my PMS and menstrual symptoms and along with it came so much nausea for a month and a half that I ended up dropping fifteen pounds like that. Not healthy but the weight-loss bug still bit me and it culminated when we moved towns.
    A switch flipped. I decided I wanted to gain control over my body instead of my body controlling me and that meant getting fit.
    So here I am. c:
  • mike_gee15
    Options
    Saw how big my face looked in pictures, plus just taking my shirt off and seeing how big I'd let myself get.. not a pretty sight.
  • losingweightfindingme
    Options
    I got rid of my ex boyfriend. I figured if I was strong enough to get rid of an emotionally and mentally abusive 190 pound man, I was strong enough to get rid of my extra 120 pounds. My thing that spurred me joining MFP was having to dress up for a work Christmas party and realizing that none of my dress pants (already lower plus-sizes) didn't fit (or at least didn't fit without being really uncomfortable).
  • amandapye78
    amandapye78 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I live in Colorado the healthiest state in the nation and went to friend of my daughters birthday and the only one bigger than me was a lady pregnant with twins. They picked at their cake and I went back for seconds and I could just feel them staring at me.
  • MrsNolf
    MrsNolf Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I had a miscarriage and I don't think it was related. But, I was so traumatised from the experience that I decided I wanted something positive to come out of it. A new lifestyle and a healthier me. Plus, I want to be a yummy mummy when I do have a child =)
  • HollyBmomof3
    HollyBmomof3 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I decided to lose weight after falling down a few stairs while holding my 8 week old baby. My knee just gave out under me. I was 260lbs then. I also had a toddler to take care of and my husband was on deployment. My girls had only me to care for them so I had to change myself for their sake. I lost 120. I have since had an other child and am happy to say Im back down to 140lbs and planning on losing a few more.
  • LisaMia66
    Options
    It wasn't just one thing for me. I'm a little stubborn and tend to lie to myself often. So there were 3 things that set me off, they were: 1. Seeing just how squinty my eyes looked in a picture of myself and realizing they weren't squinting but that my cheeks were just getting very fat 2. I bought 1 pair of size 14 jeans and they were my first ever after wearing size 12's forever 3. Finding out I was pre-diabetic and that my cholesterol was over 200. Actually it was the third thing that really sealed the deal for me. :noway:

I'm currently down to a solid size 10 and I believe I'll be in those size 8 jeans within the next month. I wear sunglasses in as many pictures as I can to make sure I don't that squinty, fat-faced look again. :laugh: The best thing is that my cholesterol went down by over 20 points! YAY!
  • SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    My wife told me it was the reason we never had sex.
  • youngers3
    Options
    I hear ya! My 3 best girlfriend are bombshells. I'm getting married and my bridesmaids
    Are killer. Even BEING in a relationship, you still get envious of those who are around you a lot and get approached. My girlfriend Sarah is married and goes to coffee shops & gets free coffees all the time . She does not flirt or flaunt anything. We went out to the bar once and she was starred at all night long. I had NEVER felt like crap about myself until I realized that I was not even glanced at. I told her I didn't wanna go to the bar with her cause I felt likecrap about myself!! Lol. It's not her fault. Then my other two friends are the SAME way. So my breaking point was my Getting married & someone tellling me "oh hell no I would not have those girls in my wedding" (because they are drop dead gorgeous) . I thought enough is enough. I know too many ppl that we're fat on their wedding day and lost a ton of weight after. I don't wanna be like that I wanna look back and be like damn I look good. Lol good luck to you all!!
  • walkerr1968
    Options
    This is an awesome thread. It's interesting reading everyone's stories. For me, it was when I went to the doctor, stepped on the scale and weighed 189 lbs! I'm only 5'2". I knew I had gained weight, but seeing the number was the wake up call. To me, it was too close to 200 lbs. With the support of MFP, the weight is coming off and physically I feel so much better.
  • amberlynnsinspired
    amberlynnsinspired Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Not being able to sit in a movie theater seat.
    Getting stuck on a Disney Land ride because they could not open my seat belt because it was on too tight.
    Noticing I was almost half a ton.
    Getting stares everywhere I went like I was some kind of monster.

I'm not a monster.
  • Strickens
    Options
    The fact that I could no longer comfortably fit into my favourite pair of jeans and shirts anymore, at least not without bulgy bits and my gut sticking out a mile -_-
  • NaomiHooley
    Options
    I watched the documentaries "Hungry for Change" and "Fat, Sick and nearly Dead" .. I went the next day and made green veggie smoothies for breakfast, just adding that many veggies has changed my body! And my mind feels better too... no looking back! :)
  • roxbox2013
    roxbox2013 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Whenever I was around a group of people who were talking about their weight, and I was too ashamed to say my weight because I weighed significantly more than them while being the same height!
  • NickiLee52
    Options
    Straight from my bio:
    I was reading over my mom's shoulder while she browsed pinterest. My eyes skimmed over this: "A year from now, you're going to wish you would have started today."

It was shocking. That quote really jolted me. It was true..Every year that passed I just felt more and more miserable, wishing every summer that I had used the winter to lose weight. I've had weight issues for as long as I can remember, so I've spent every weight-conscious year of my life wishing that stupid wish.

It kind of made me feel sick, all the time I wasted wishing and not doing anything. All of my determination came from that damn quote.

The rest was history. The next morning I was ready. About 8 months later and I'm down to 144.0 pounds. I started at almost 180 pounds. Crazy...
  • NickiLee52
    Options
    I'm going to type that up and stick it to my bathroom mirror - Love it! It is exactly how I felt when I decided to get busy with a new way of eating and exercising.
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Pictures. A series of them from every angle one Christmas. I couldn't lie to myself that they were just from a bad angle. I desperately considered weight loss surgery because I felt so helpless. After reading the facts and risks (that I wasn't willing to take as a single mother) I decided I had nothing to lose (but weight?) by REALLY trying for the first time. I was scared for my life and with great clarity finally understood that I COULD do everything I was able to be as healthy as possible & so, health was my goal. I was shocked that it worked, worried even when fat started flying off at such a rapid pace!
  • Phany04
    Phany04 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    My wake up call was finding out I had pcos and was insulin resistant. I was also at my highest weight ever....284.6 pounds. I am scare of developing diabetes. I also broke up a 3 year relationship and engagement where I wasn't happy. It was time to think about me and my future. It was time to make a life change. That was only 2 months and a couple of days ago. Today I weight 258. I'm on my way and I will achieve it.
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Putting on a suit to go to an affair on Dec 14, 2011. It was cold outside and I was cursing and sweating as I put the suit on. Because nothing fit right.

I didn't even wait until the next day to change my life. I started that very night at the affair.

If possible, it was my worst and best day.