Whats the one thing that set you off to want to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• MicroHez
    MicroHez Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    It was a number of things for me... One being the co-worker who was pregnant (and pretty thin) saying "Heather, I'm almost as big as you now." Another being I told myself that if I ever did hit 300 lbs, I would make a change... I had held solid at 285 for like 7 years, and never had any reason to lose weight other than appearances.

But the final nail in the coffin was just after Thanksgiving, I was having some MASSIVE stomach issues. I knew I had over indulged, but this was stomach and intestinal pains that were obscenely bad! My regular doctor wasn't available, so I went to the "other" doctor (who I detested, reason being I saw him for a sinus infection and he gave me only Flonase... week and a half later I was borderline pnuemonia... moving on...). He manipulated my stomach and listened to stomach gurgles and said that it was either reflux or gallbladder. He wanted me to get a blood panel for liver and pancreas functions and an ultrasound. Blood panel came back completely normal. Went and got the ultrasound, and everything was unremarkable except there MIGHT BE slight fat intrusion on the liver. Attached to that paperwork was a script for a statin drug and a note saying something to the effect of fatty liver disease can kill you.

FFS!!! I am NOT taking a cholesterol drug WITHOUT an actual blood work up to see where my levels are sitting!

So, here I am, roughly 15 lbs lighter after about a month... I am feeling better and bound and determined to get back down to my pre-college weight and ultimately my high school weight. It was time for a change, and the health scare was just the catalyst.
  • gettinwade3
    gettinwade3 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I got pregnant again. I had lost weight with my last child due to gestational diabetes. I started being unhealthy soon after she was born due to stress and depression. I came to my senses recently, not wanting to be unhealthy whether I had GD again or not. So I once again cut out soda, candy, and 90% of junk food. Plus I HATE the way I look...I already feel better though.
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    My weight was going up slowly every year I got older! Most of the women on my mother's side all have diabetes and I was very afraid to get the same! I also hated the way I looked and could not imagine going up another size!!
  • Rehobobound
    Rehobobound Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    When I realized that my belly fat began under my breasts and jutted out in blobs. (so attractive) Never had that before when I gained weight. Being overweight and over 50 isn't something I want. I want to be the healthy old lady, not the one that can't walk up the steps without resting.
  • Gracerrr
    Gracerrr Posts: 141
    Options
    The straw that broke the camel's back for me was gaining my last 15lbs which caused my cycle to become unpredictable. My husband and I are going to be TTC this summer, so I kinda freaked out and decided it was time for some real change! Wish I had started a year ago! :/
  • angelataylorneal
    angelataylorneal Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    When I realized I was starting to hate getting my pic taken. I had just been to my doctor and been weighed, so I figured why not now?
  • Karoger87
    Karoger87 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Well I had a heart transplant almost 3 years ago. And I haven't been doing what I should.. I've been slacking. I was almost 200 lbs, tired of people calling me fat, and tired of looking like **** in pictures.
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Friend took a picture of me Riding my Motorcycle.....that's all it took! :explode:
  • anne2605
    anne2605 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    For me it was the realisation that I'll be 50 in 18 months time. Decided time for change.
  • MaryJane_JB
    Options
    Looking at my fatass in the mirror. I've had enough...
  • astylla
    astylla Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I had to go to the doctor about 2 weeks ago because that nasty flu stuff had gotten me good. Of course they had to weigh me - No big deal it was after the holidays and I knew I ate a little too much..so I figured maybe a few extra pounds..then the number was staring me in the face..297 ( with clothes but no shoes on). NO ! I refused to go over 300 lbs.,this had to stop now.

The next few days I started reading on here and started logging my food and last week we joined a gym and I haven't looked back since. It was my moment and it's my life to take control of.
  • JOYOUS62
    JOYOUS62 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Last Christmas, I won a competition the prize being £1000 worth of dresses from a local boutique, being a boutique, the sizes seem small and NONE of the dresses fit, a waste of beautiful dresses hanging in a wardrobe doing nothing. If I cant lose weight, the said dresses will be going on EBay. One of the dresses was £495
  • fatjavotte
    fatjavotte Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I realised that I am not fit or strong enough to protect my children. I want to be able to carry the three of them and run. I want to be able to swim in strong current (we live near a river).
    And as far as my looks are concerned, I want to be slim and pretty now, not when I am an old lady!
  • kirstie3281
    kirstie3281 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    When I got on the scale and weighed the same as I had weighed 9 months pregnant with both of my children...but I wasn't pregnant.

^^
    Yep.
  • tiffanyheth
    tiffanyheth Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Seeing how overweight and out of shape and grossly ill my older sister (35 years old) and mom (51 years old) both are. No energy. No will to change. It stopped me in my tracks. I knew that if I didn't change everything, I would be just like them.
  • people shouting fatty at me just had enough and turned my life around so happy I did and those people mean nothing to me now :)
  • Sambytheway82
    Options
    Seen a picture of me at my biggest an the teasing of family an friends :/
  • FinallyDoingMe
    FinallyDoingMe Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    for me it was hearing the words "massive heart attack" from my Cardiologist - the proverbial lightbulb came on and it clicked right then.
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    When my dad called me fat.... It was a little eye opening... But what rreally set me off was when i woke up one morning and made a bagel with peanut butter and chocolate chips.... and then i had like 2 or 3 more of those!! Then for lunch.. i had birthday cake remix from cold stone..... and then i went back and bought a cake batter ice cream shake from coldstone again.. before i even left the first time!
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    On july 8, 2010 at 1:11 pm, at 260 lbs I gave birth to my daughter Pandora. Before I got pregnant, I weighed 204, my grade school weight, and the lowest since age 12. Yea, been in the 200's since I was 12.

In the first year, I lost about 17 pounds, and my daughter weighed 7 of those pounds. Not a good year. Battles with depression, post pardum, and the fact that after i worked my @$$ off, litterly, I had to do it again, which I think was the really depressing thing. My sister in law had her daughter 6 weeks after mine, and at my daughters party, everyone but me was swimming. Two of my sister in laws were in bikini's, yes, one was the one that had a baby 6 weeks after mine, and the other was in this knock out dress. I went to add some pictures to our photo album, and seen that from 3 months to now I'm MIA. I started to cry and feel so guilty that I missed most of her first year and her second cause I was too embarresed to be seen. You can see my hair, a tattoo, and a shoe I believe. I thought how am I supposed to tell her when she's older and asks where I am?

I had lost about 45 lbs by joining a gym and trying to eat right. I started working at a fast food place and my work hours and gym clashed so I stopped going. I also started eating at my work place and gained all the weight back. Now, my baby is 2 1/2, her birthday is in july, same as my husbands, and our anniversary is in august.

Can we say wake up call? I was looking up exercise tips online, and seen a video from Good Morning America about a woman that used a free site called My Fitness Pal and lost more than 100 lbs. I gave it a shot.