I've stopped counting calories & weight is still dropping.

Options

Replies

• TheChangingMan
    TheChangingMan Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Bottom line, do what works for you

I agree with this bit
  • sohmui
    sohmui Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    "Athletes and people over the age of 60 might benefit from increasing the recommended amount of protein in their diets to support muscle growth and prevent muscle loss, respectively."

No, people over 60 need LESS protein, not more. Protein has to be processed by the liver, and as we grow older that organ needs to be treated with respect and not overworked. People over 60 should - and most do - eat smaller meals. 3 or 4 oz of animal protein per day are more than enough. In fact, although I am not a vegetarian, I only eat meat once or twice a week, fish maybe once a week. Vegetables and grains contain enough protein for an average day for the over 60s.

True, you don't need to count calories. Simply start eating half of your usual quantity and you will lose weight. It seems, though, that many people enjoy counting and I am one of those.
  • Smoothroz
    Smoothroz Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Well for those of us that want to count calories..do not try to discourage us. You do you and we will do us.

Thank you.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    "Athletes and people over the age of 60 might benefit from increasing the recommended amount of protein in their diets to support muscle growth and prevent muscle loss, respectively."

No, people over 60 need LESS protein, not more. Protein has to be processed by the liver, and as we grow older that organ needs to be treated with respect and not overworked. People over 60 should - and most do - eat smaller meals. 3 or 4 oz of animal protein per day are more than enough. In fact, although I am not a vegetarian, I only eat meat once or twice a week, fish maybe once a week. Vegetables and grains contain enough protein for an average day for the over 60s.

This would indicate otherwise re amount of protein in a single sitting v lots of meals - basically, as we age, we require more protein to create an anabolic response.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/69/6/1202.full.pdf
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    This would indicate otherwise re amount of protein in a single sitting v lots of meals
    according to the PDF yes
    basically, as we age, we require more protein to create an anabolic response.
    not entirely sure on how you got this from the PDF please elaborate

diets were 10% protein and 14% protein hardly consider them high in protein probably closer to average, not to mention there results were barely even noticeable and with 15 people could of just been anything.

on the high protein diet of the evenly spread out protein meals the women lost LBM vs the low protein diet on the evenly spread out protein meals.

WUT???

The PDF seemed to be pretty bad, srsly
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    This would indicate otherwise re amount of protein in a single sitting v lots of meals
    according to the PDF yes

diets were 10% protein and 14% protein hardly consider them high in protein probably closer to average, not to mention there results were barely even noticeable and with 15 people could of just been anything.

on the high protein diet of the evenly spread out protein meals the women lost LBM vs the low protein diet on the evenly spread out protein meals.

WUT???

I am not wasting my time in yet another debate with you...I am sorry you cannot understand the point I am making. Layne Norton touches on it here if you care to understand it further:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjmV8BlsJTQ
  • AnabolicKyle
    Options
    according to the PDF yes

WUT???

I am not wasting my time in yet another debate with you...I am sorry you cannot understand the point I am making. Layne Norton touches on it here if you care to understand it further:

LOL

Iam being serious!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    according to the PDF yes

WUT???

LOL

Iam being serious!

That's lovely for you. Have a delightful day.
  • AnabolicKyle
    Options

watching now ill let you know what i think ;)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

So, you lol'd before you watched it?

Night poppet! As I said, I am not wasting more time with you.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Video might be a better media for you. Refs 16-20 in that "bad" pdf support her point directly.
  • AnabolicKyle
    Options
    I am not wasting my time in yet another debate with you...
    LOL
    So, you lol'd before you watched it?

Night poppet! As I said, I am not wasting more time with you.

LOL'd at your response to me not the video

I am not wasting my time in yet another debate with you...

anyways i liked the video was awesome though it had nothing to do with elderly people so iam not 100% sure why you referred me to it.

from video
    anabolic response maxed out at 30-40grams of protein for most people

you might need a slight elevation on which you need when you get older you

older people - less sensitive to amino acids takes more to get an anabolic response

original question

answered

PDF still seemed pretty bad though
  • AnabolicKyle
    Options

Video might be a better media for you. Refs 16-20 in that "bad" pdf support her point directly.

EDIT
    NO
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    Blah Blah Blah. Get off your soap box and shut your trap.
  • brit_ks_89
    brit_ks_89 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    actually if you are trying to lose weight, your body needs MORE protein

ummm i think you need to research a little better ..

and stop counting calories,, are you serious ?

i stopped counting calories once, and you know what happen I GAIN ALL MY WEIGHT BACK AND MORE.. so no thank you !!!!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    The only reason why I stopped counting calories, is because after a year of counting them and eating pretty much the same things, I know what is what.

I also don't eat clean... ever and I do just fine. Rule for me is 80/20... 80% healthy and 20% junk.
  • rn000
    rn000 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Look forward to seeing you back here when the weight eventually comes back on... Myfitnesspal is not just a calorie counter, it's a way of keeping your overall health in mind
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    While reading this wall of text I read "Lastly "and got my hopes up, thinking that the wall of text was over.

Well, I was lied to. You went on and on and on. How can I respect your words when You don't finish talking soon after saying "lastly"?

Lastly, if counting calories don't work for you. Thats fine. Many people in the past, present and future have lost weight without counting calories. MFP's counting calories is just another way of doing it and I (along with many others like this method.

I bid you good luck sir. Take care :)

Almost spewed coffee. You should warn me before you're going to be funny.

I do agree with OP on one thing for sure, though. Since I stopped thinking of processed foods like snack cakes as 'food' (as in something I'll eat), life has been much better and my weight loss much more consistent. But I can and have gained weight or not lost while avoiding those un-foods entirely, which is why I still count calories.

And getting enough protein isn't my worry, either. I need to make sure to get enough fat, though, or I'll end up binging on steak and onions and butter.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Good day, sir. I SAID GOOD DAY.
  • trellshantel
    trellshantel Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Great post!!! This totally changed my outlook on weightloss, thanks!!