Question for ladies with families....

Options

Replies

• Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    be an example...if the kids don't want what I cook they have to eat half of it and then forage for healthy alternatives themselves. Carrots, quesadillas, pretzels, cheese, eggs. My kids are older , 9 and 11yo, so a little more self sufficient..but I also don't go out of my way to make things they hate. They both have their likes and dislikes. My older son will eat carrots and homemade kale chips.. the youngers son likes salad and peas...I ask them what they would like, and they help me plan the meals for the week...so I would suggest you ask for input...and have healthy alternatives.

I ditched my husband long ago, so I can't give you input there..he's an adult and if he doesn't like it, I'm sure he knows how to forage too...but I must say that as an adult with some serious health issues, I'd think he would like to be a healthy example to his children...and take care of himself for their sake.
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    PERSONALLY I would not make ANY CHANGES to what you already do (if you're incorporating fruits n veggies already). We have to SHOW by example. If the hubby don't like it, he doesn't have to eat it but the kids--i'd put my foot down bc we have to TRAIN THEM to eat right. That's just my opinion. I would say, as far as the kids, try to be creative when preparing/serving them fruits and veggies. Who knows, hubby may even be tempted to try :)
  • sunshineshica
    Options
    I have this same issue. It's hard to eat healthy all the time with all males in the house, a growing teenage son and my husband who aren't on diets. I say continue to make stuff with vegetables in it. your husband can not put vegetables on his plate and you should find a way to make the vegetables tasty for the kids or get them v8 type drinks cuz they need to have vegetables in their diets. with making the stuff that everyone likes to eat just use portion control. it's not always about having a plate full of healthy stuff as it is about making the food on the plate in smaller portions. try that
  • Dianescraps
    Options
    My husband is crazy fussy about food. I make sure that one thing I cook he will eat, if he snubs his nose at the rest, oh well.

My kids are very good eaters, so I am lucky there, but I will say they are even better about things when they get to pick out veggies and fruits.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'd say you need to MAKE SURE the kids don't become their dad.
    However you have to make that happen, the kids need to eat healthy.
  • mollylookalike
    mollylookalike Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    You need the sign I have in my kitchen: Today's Menu...eat it or starve!

THIS!!
  • road2peachtree
    road2peachtree Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    We are like dogs, cats, birds and any other animal that needs to eat in order to survive--if we get hungry enough we'll eat it. We have all been in a situation where we are starving to death and we find a linty mint in our purse or a piece of gum from when gum was invented in our pocket and we eat it :embarassed: . Kids and husbands operate the same exact way.

What I have done is fused all of our tastes together and created a monthly menu that can satisfy us all. Prior to making the menu, I sat down with the fam (Husband, The Girl - 10, The Boy - 12) and ran down a long list of everything from juice to pastas to veggies to sauces. From there I made my list of compromise foods. From those "compromise foods" I created my menu. My husband is also lactose intolerant and loves cereal and ice cream and cheese so at least once a week I create a dish with one of those things in it. Does he complain later? Yes, but it was good going down.:drinker: LOL

Some things on there they don't like so they don't eat, but I post it up on the fridge and I don't entertain the "I don't want that" attitude. My son tried me the other day and after about 30 min of being hungry, he sat his *kitten* right down and ate what I cooked. Your kids are young enough to where they have to eat what you give them but you kinda have to make it fit their taste buds. Most kids are not going to just jump at the chance to eat cooked carrots--even I hate them--but would they eat them another way? I also include my children in the cooking process. That helps a lot too. And then I also make sure that we have a complete and total whatever kind of meal day. That helps because they know they can suffer through Mon-Thurs and then get what they want on Friday.

Good luck! Just remember you are the boss.:glasses:
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Well my husband and I work together on planning our meals so that HE'S cooking something that everyone will eat. For our kids, whatever they turn their noses up at, they just don't eat. We refuse to be a diner....we make 1 meal for everyone. Made them try Chicken Chow Mein last night and they LOVED it. The only concession we'll make is if we're having something we KNOW they won't eat (for example, if we're having Haddock Fillets and we'll make them fish sticks).

But we are also very lucky in that our kids (ages 6 and 4) love veggies (take after their dad!), so that's rarely the fight.
  • bottom
    bottom Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    When I was little, each kid had a "list of 5." These were five things we could opt out from if they were served. Since one of mine for a long time was chicken, I ended up making myself other meals sometimes. Others, though, were silly: beets (which were never served), peas (which my mom hated too, and therefore were never served). I'd choose differently now. :)

As a child, it put me in a bind. I CHOSE what not to eat. Hence, I had to eat everything else cooked for me.
  • Christizzzle
    Christizzzle Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    No surprise I'm divorced! LOL.

As the father of children, aren't they supposed to think of the kids before themselves, or is this just a mom thing?
  • asteph28
    Options
    I don't have advice about the husband because mine eats anything! Lol, but I have a picky daughter and I sneak in veggies by making smooties for breakfast and throwing in a carrot or some spinach. If you use vanilla greek yogert, bananas and berries it will be sweet enough to hide the veggies. Also, if you make homemade burgers or a meatloaf you can chop up spinach or zucchini real fine and put them in your meat mixture. They'll never know!!! :) Hope this helps a little!
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    So there's me, my husband my 3 /12 year old son and my 1 year old daughter. My husband hates vegetables, maybe likes only 4 or 5 fruits, loves red meat and bacon and sausage, is lactose intolerant, o doesnt drink milk, but still insists on eating cheese, pasta and bread.(And hes diabetic :noway: ) my kids are starting to stick their noses up at veggies because dad does. Well, I do the shopping for the household. I do ALL of the cooking. Should I just start making meals and either him and the kids eat or they don't?? I'm sick of making different things for everyone!!!! Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

The other thing I would say is make sure your husband realizes what kind of example he's being for the kids. SHOW him that because HE'S not eating certain things, neither are they. Kind of like that commercial where she replaces the dad's and kid's orange soda with a bottle of water. They follow by example and your kids are young enough that they are sponges and will absorb whatever you teach them at this point.
  • Bethie_B
    Bethie_B Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't have a family, but I grew up in a "eat what mom cooks or go hungry" house. And it worked. I was a fit, healthy, active kid, and I love all kinds of foods.

Catering to everyone's likes and dislikes will create unhealthy, over weight kids who are picky eaters. No one wins at that game.
  • 40Marbles
    40Marbles Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Should I just start making meals and either him and the kids eat or they don't??

Absolutely!

You mentioned that your husband can't cook. I'd say your husband can't cook YET and doesn't want to learn. But if you are willing to do all the shopping and cooking, then go for it. Find some new healthy recipes and cook up a storm!
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

WINNING!!!:drinker:
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    And I tried to teach him to cook. After 5 minutes he says"I don't have patience for this" and leaves.

Oh boy, does he have YOU figured out! If I pretend to be useless in the kitchen, I get to leave and my wife will cook for me.

If it were me, I'd make dinner and if he didn't like it, he could make himself something else. If he can't pour a bowl of cereal, I guess he's screwed. You are not his personal chef, you do not exist solely to please his finicky toddler palate.
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I cook for a family of 6 and they can be picky but have really gotten the healthy eating bug with me. I will not cook different meals. It's enough to organise for 6 as it is.
  • Syndri
    Syndri Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    You do the cooking in your house so your family should eat what you eat. I certainly wouldn't waste time trying to please everyone, you'll be permanently stressed and people will still find fault.

You will be doing your children the biggest favour in the world by setting them up for a healthy lifestyle, plus they will be the kids that everyone wants to have home for dinner as they won't be picky eaters!!

My eldest is 18 and he still picks mushrooms out of his spaghetti bolognaise at home, but I know that when he goes out to eat anywhere, he eats EVERYTHING that is put in front of him. At the end of the day, we're aiming for healthy children that will try all foods.

As for your husband ... tell him that he should know better ;-) Good luck!
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and my daughter are both typically very picky eaters. I do find though that we can make slight adjustments. I prefer lots of vegetables and they prefer little to none. I have been compromising by cutting vegetables up smaller and limiting them to the kinds they like (like onion and red pepper). We do also make my daughter eat whatever is prepared for dinner but might make modifications - she likes plain peppers and not mixed in so maybe she will have everything separate instead of mixed together. My daughter is six so she can also give me her input better than your older child can but sometimes if she helps in the kitchen she's more likely to eat it. Good luck!
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    Options

^^^ Yep! Rules to live by in my house!