Afterlife: Is There Life After Death?

Options

Replies

• SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Actually, that is incorrect. The Bible records that Moses died at 120 years. What is fascinating is that the death ages of the Patriarchs goes into sharp decline after the Flood. Why would the people have lied about that? Other pagan sources greatly exaggerated the ages of their "heros"---some pagan kings were said to have lived many thousands of years.
    Lol, of course Pagans stated that...........their belief in mythological gods were.......well mythology. :laugh: Did you know that mythology used to be a religion?
    And my bad on Moses. I should have said others like Adam, Methuselah, and Mahalalel. As for sharp decline after the flood, maybe people actually didn't buy into the stories of 900 year old people anymore since others were dying within say 40 years?:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

You might want to take a look at a book called, "Genetic Entropy" by John Sanford, Ph.D. (he's a geneticist). He explains that the human genome is deteriorating at a rapid pace these days. He also insists that there is NOTHING that can stop the decline--not gene therapy, not cloning and he explains why. If you extrapolate backward, it is easy to see how humans could have lived disease-free so much longer than we do. If it weren't for modern medicine, many of us would not be here. Think about it---did your great grandparents spend so much time being ill before they died? Now, there are hosts of people who spend 20-30 years in a state of ill health. Some diseases like breast cancer are hitting women at younger and younger ages. There is virtual epidemic of breast cancer among women in their 20s and 30s when it was basically unheard of in a woman under 45 in the past.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    "I don't usually do ad hominem... But you Sir are impressive in a special sort of way. Everything you say is more or less a non sequitur to my arguments, and the context in which I present them.

This quote comes to mind:
    "Debating creationists on the topic of god is rather like trying to play chess with a pigeon; it knocks the pieces over, craps on the board, and flies back to its flock to claim victory."

It's 01:22 AM, and I am going to copulate with my beautiful girlfriend. Good night.
    [/quote]

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

And I don't usually laugh at someone who is attempting to pose serious arguments---but really? You stoop to ad hominem (twice, no less) and then attempt to shock with your somewhat crude comment about your girlfriend? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

p.s. By the way, I am not a "Sir" I am a "Madame". Your gender prejudice is showing. :smile:

p.p.s. It is customary to attribute quotes from sources other than those which should be very familiar (such as quotes from the Bible). Never rnind, I just looked it up, it is that swell atheist blogger, Scott Weitzenhoffer (who stole the quote from someone else).
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I have these suggestions for you:
    "The Case For Christ" and "God's Outrageous Claims" by Lee Strobel
    He receieved a Master of Studies in Law Degree from Yale Law School and was an atheist.
    He can provide you with a much more compelling argument than I ever could.

Thanks for these. I've added them to my 'to read' list. Headed to the bookstore tomorrow anyway, so I'll definitely see if I can find them. o/

:smile:
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    "...if you know what life is worth, you will look for yours on earth...."
  • CherylAnn38
    CherylAnn38 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Not life as we know it. I believe our energy (soul) just returns to the energy of the universe, but not our consciousness.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    I don't think YOU understand the reality of what science is---perhaps it is because of what you have been told by those who idolize it. Science IS based on observation and critical thinking but it is not infallible and is notoriously fickle in its beliefs. There are many scientists (in my opinion, true scientists) who love the overturning of one of their pet theories because it sets them off in another even more exciting direction. No real scientist ever thinks of ANY bit of data as "proof" of anything. They love to be confounded and amazed by the complexity and unpredictability of our world and the heavens that surround us. A quote from Sir Francis Bacon (ca.1625) "A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism; but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion." In Bacon's day, science was known as "philosophy" (and actually up to recent times).
    Where did you get the idea that I believe science is infallible? Never stated it. I have stated that science provides evidence for what it is theorizing or hypothesizing for. And since science discovers new things continual, I'll change my stance along with it. For example stretching for the longest time was thought to prevent injury. Several studies later show that static stretching before and after exercise doesn't prevent injury. A pretty significant change in the business I do. And I now DO NOT let any of my clients warm up with static stretching.
    Sit a person down with no arms and legs in a room in front of me, have a bunch of people pray for arms and legs to grow, and if it happened in front of me, I would have no reason at that point to believe that a god doesn't exist.
    People who truly believe in science will listen to different studies and not just bias themselves on just one or just one person conducting experimentation. I look at scenarios objectively.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    No respawns!

As much as I'd LIKE to believe in an afterlife, I do not.

I find comfort in knowing that even if we do cease to exist in one point in time, you still exist in another (the past). Luckily, time is not linear. It's a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff ;)
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    You might want to take a look at a book called, "Genetic Entropy" by John Sanford, Ph.D. (he's a geneticist). He explains that the human genome is deteriorating at a rapid pace these days. He also insists that there is NOTHING that can stop the decline--not gene therapy, not cloning and he explains why. If you extrapolate backward, it is easy to see how humans could have lived disease-free so much longer than we do. If it weren't for modern medicine, many of us would not be here. Think about it---did your great grandparents spend so much time being ill before they died? Now, there are hosts of people who spend 20-30 years in a state of ill health. Some diseases like breast cancer are hitting women at younger and younger ages. There is virtual epidemic of breast cancer among women in their 20s and 30s when it was basically unheard of in a woman under 45 in the past.
    If I were to take my grandparents on both sides, the oldest lived to 84 years old. My mother is 86 now and her oldest sister is 89.(Don't know anything about grandmother on my father's side since she left when he was very young). My grandfathers on both sides died before 83 years old. My father is 86. Parents are in better health than my grandparents were due to better nutrition and exercise.
    And while modern medicine has extended life, you cannot deny that weight has played a pivotal role in the health of individuals. Weight is the number factor related to health issues.
    And according to CDC statistics, 1999 breast cancer rate was higher for practically every state compared to 2009. Even Leukemias (the most popular childhood cancer) was higher in 1999 than in 2009.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    You might want to take a look at a book called, "Genetic Entropy" by John Sanford, Ph.D. (he's a geneticist).
    So I glanced at Sanford's credentials and noticed he's NOT a human geneticist, but a plant geneticist. I also see from his biography that he's a CREATIONIST. Nice pull.
    His argument for devolution is a good theory but not withstanding criticism. Carbon dating will refute how long he believes that Earth has been around. Heck even common sense would tell us that based on how the Earth is still shifting and moving, it's break up into continents took millions and million of years. Fresno and San Francisco are creeping closer together (verified) at a rate of about an inch a year. At this rate it's gonna take well over 12 million years for them to be beside each other.
    I'd have to see much more evidence proving his theory before believing in it.

IDEA Fitness member
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    If I were to take my grandparents on both sides, the oldest lived to 84 years old. My mother is 86 now and her oldest sister is 89.(Don't know anything about grandmother on my father's side since she left when he was very young). My grandfathers on both sides died before 83 years old. My father is 86. Parents are in better health than my grandparents were due to better nutrition and exercise.
    And while modern medicine has extended life, you cannot deny that weight has played a pivotal role in the health of individuals. Weight is the number factor related to health issues.
    And according to CDC statistics, 1999 breast cancer rate was higher for practically every state compared to 2009. Even Leukemias (the most popular childhood cancer) was higher in 1999 than in 2009.

IDEA Fitness member

Just because people are now learning to take better care of the health that they have, doesn't mean that the genome is not continuing to deteriorate. You only need to look at the large increase in infertility among young men to know that something is amiss. If male sperm counts continue to decline at the present rate, within a couple of generations (40 years or so) very few men will be able to father children. Whether the cause is environmental or genetic has yet to be studied. If it is environmental the fix will be difficult, if it is genetic, it will be impossible.
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    "...So I glanced at Sanford's credentials and noticed he's NOT a human geneticist, but a plant geneticist..."

Do you really think that a "plant geneticist" doesn't deal with the same fundamentals? The human genome shares 50% of its genes with the genome of a banana. Many scientists will study something outside of their narrow area of specialty. They often bring a great deal of fresh insight. For example, there is a cardiologist at the University of Colorado Medical Center, Richard J. Johnson, M.D. who has chosen to study Type II diabetes and renal disease. He has recently been given a grant by the National Institutes of Health to study an epidemic of renal failure among sugar cane workers in Central America.

"...His argument for devolution is a good theory but not withstanding criticism. Carbon dating will refute how long he believes that Earth has been around. Heck even common sense would tell us that based on how the Earth is still shifting and moving, it's break up into continents took millions and million of years. Fresno and San Francisco are creeping closer together (verified) at a rate of about an inch a year. At this rate it's gonna take well over 12 million years for them to be beside each other.
    I'd have to see much more evidence proving his theory before believing in it..."

First, carbon dating will not refute anything of the sort--it has many flaws. The main one being that it is based on many assumptions that may or may not be true http://voices.yahoo.com/have-scientists-discovered-flaws-carbon-dating-7009058.html:

"While still unsure what is causing the change--the previously held scientific belief that the rate of decay is constant may not be true. This discovery certainly seems to challenge that theory. The implications can have far reaching affects not only in science and medicine, but also history and archeology among other things. One interesting impact of this discovery may be on an age old debate as to how old our earth is. If the rate of decay is no longer a constant, the age of earth may be subject to reevaluation based on past radiometric dating methods and this new discovery that decay may no longer be constant."

In addition, cataclysmic forces can change things very quickly---gradualism is an assumption. There are a number of geophysicists who are "catastrophists". They believe that the earth was subject to many catastrophes in the past, with accompanying very rapid change.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    "...I'd have to see much more evidence PROVING his theory before believing in it..."

There is NO such thing in science. Any real scientist will tell you that.
  • perfect_storm
    perfect_storm Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this every day and here is why. 4 years ago I was in a coma for 3 days with organs shutting down, I have no story of comfort or light I have a black space where my life should have been during those days...I know I was not dead but I was damn close. I want to think it is not over when we die that there is something more but after the empty feeling that experience left me.... I do not know.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    No one comes by faith in that way. Perhaps they could come to agnosticism that way (and there are many scientists who are agnostics--the "don't know and don't care" crowd). Real faith comes from accepting the truth and surrendering to it--wherever it leads. It is by a supernatural act of God. C.S. Lewis said that he was probably the most unhappy man on campus the night that he accepted Christ---so strong was his mind's resistance to the idea of faith.
    Faith comes from strong doctrines of religion. That's what faith is. Truth relies on accordance of FACT and REALITY. And testimonies aren't evidence. That's like someone saying Rasberry Keytones are why they lost weight.

IDEA Fitness member

You, who claim to have no faith, are going to define faith for me? Real, abiding faith, is NOT mental assent to a "doctrine of religion". As I have stated before, it is a supernatural event that happens by the will of the "Father of Lights." He convinces of truth by the Spirit of Truth. Since when has testimony ceased to be evidence? (Maybe you should try saying that in a court of law sometime and see what the judge says?"
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Yep-lived long enough and seen enough death to know.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    You, who claim to have no faith, are going to define faith for me? Real, abiding faith, is NOT mental assent to a "doctrine of religion". As I have stated before, it is a supernatural event that happens by the will of the "Father of Lights." He convinces of truth by the Spirit of Truth. Since when has testimony ceased to be evidence? (Maybe you should try saying that in a court of law sometime and see what the judge says?"

You're really not helping your case there, as false/faulty testimony has put more innocents in prison than anything else; only to be released later once DNA evidence (something science provided for us) proved their innocence.
  • RILEYRED
    RILEYRED Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    There absolutely is life after death. I have experienced many things, and there were many things proven to be not of this world, oh, you betcha!!!!! and, that is my opinion, I speak for no one else, so please don't try to prove me wrong, not here to prove a thing, just answering a question. Have a great day..
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

You're really not helping your case there, as false/faulty testimony has put more innocents in prison than anything else; only to be released later once DNA evidence (something science provided for us) proved their innocence.

A death-bed testimony is considered to be very powerful, as a dying person is not presumed to lie--under the principle of "nemo moriturus praesumitur mentiri". All of the eye-witnesses went to their deaths bearing the testimony of the truth of Christ's resurrection. They could have easily escaped death by declaring it all a lie---they did not, gladly suffering death to the denial of what they knew to be the truth. What you said is quite irrelevant. We all know that some people lie.
  • goodomenminis
    goodomenminis Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    YES. I've seen too many "ghosts" NOT to believe this is the only experience out here. Heck i was pushed in the back by a spirit. i guess he didn't like me intruding on HIS afterlife. (and to tell you the truth, i don't blame him for doing it.) :noway:
This discussion has been closed.