Diet Sodas- Is It Affecting My Weight Loss?

Options

Replies

• kelp99
    kelp99 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Do carbonated beverages cause the body to retain liquid? I've been losing pretty steadily but I've been plateauing out for over a month and I'm drinking plenty of liquids, just very minimal water.

It's not the carbonation that causes the body to retain liquid, its the caffeine.

I know you say you don't like the taste of water/flavored water, but there are just too many benefits to water to not drink it! Is it tap water you don't like? If thats the case, maybe try some of the bottled waters - differant brands do taste different. Or maybe get a Brita water filter?

Rather than stop drinking it all together, maybe just try to cut back on it ... [for example] instead of drinking a 20oz bottle maybe switch to 12oz can. Don't deprive yourself all together, but try to cut back a little and [give it a week or two] just to see if it affects your weight.

(I also found it difficult to give up soda [I'd do well for awhile and then end up drinking a whole 2 liter by myself in one day]. So now I try to limit my intake to just one can of [regular] coke a day.)
  • sharonKay65
    sharonKay65 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Great question! I too used to drink a lot of soda I have always drank diet, but then I cut way back on pop only to replace it with coffee. I am the type of person, that literally has another pot brewing as soon as one is empty. Up until a few minutes ago, my diary setting was "private" because to be honest, I was almost embarrassed at the amount of coffee I realized I was drinking once I really starting tracking everything. Plus, I used to use a lot of flavored creamers, half&half whole milk, etc.... or drank cappuccinos . I don't use sugar but rather sweet-n-low and even when I was just using regular coffee mate I realized how many calories and fat gr. I was adding everyday. I really was "drinking" my calories. I have switched to fat-free creamer which helped on the fat grams, but I realized, I need to be making healthier choices. I used to figure I drink "more than enough water" everyday, it just happens to have coffee added to it. :wink: now I am going to make a commitment to myself to try and limit it to a reasonable amount. I still love a diet coke, but like coffee, I am going to try to cut back on that as well. It may take me a little while to get used to the change, but that's what I am trying to do, even if it's one little change at a time if necessary!
  • misspastry
    misspastry Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Wow is all I can see. That's a ton of soda. You need to cut it out completely or only have 1 a day. Diet soda has sodium which makes you retain water and therefore you plateau. I used to drink a lot of diet coke as well and as soon as I stopped I started losing. I have a sodastream and make my own, whicch has only 35 calories a cup and 5g of sugar. Even then I only drink a couple cups a week. I stick to water, crystal light and seltzer. If you want fizz, do half cranberry juice/seltzer. It's actually good once you get to used to it and use the flavored seltzer(lime). I'm down 26 pounds and feel a lot better when I drink water.
  • mikkimomof3
    mikkimomof3 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Not sure, since I guess it affects everyone differently. Like you, I drank a TON of diet soda for years. I stopped cold turkey on December 10th...and haven't looked back. I now drink much more water and just feel better in general. I have not lost a ton of weight since quitting--so I wouldn't expect that to be an immediate result, however I do find that I my cravings for sweet/sugary foods has dramatically decreased! I still love my sweets, but I feel that I can keep it under control a bit better now--have a couple cookies and move on. I used to feel the need to eat everything in sight! I quit because it isn't good for me in general and figured I really needed to be drinking more water anyway. Saves me money too, which is a great perk! :)

Edited to add: I had a four day headache when I quit and was falling asleep by 7pm (sitting up on the couch and holding water in my hand-haha)...I have started drinking a cup of coffee once or twice a day to help with my caffeine addiction-lol)
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Lost 57 lbs with a diet Dr Pepper every weekday.
  • staceyspassion
    staceyspassion Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Here is an AWESOME group to follow.
    http://www.hungryforchange.tv/article/could-diet-sodas-be-making-you-depressed

This was sent out today.
    I think DIET soda has a great effect on your weight. The sodium and effects to our hormones alone is enough to STOP drinking it.
    We're all human, so having it to treat yourself like once a week or month isnt going to be horrible.
    If you were to stop and then one day drink a COKE, for instance you would notice the bloating effect it gives right away..
    JUST SAY NO!
  • grward612
    grward612 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Everyone is going to have something to say that contradicts what someone else said. This is evident as you read down through the messages. So we share with you what we have experienced ourselves. I drink a LOT of diet soda (not quite as much as you do) and have not experienced the weight gain because of it nor have I had problems losing weight because of it.

The best thing you can do is EXPERIMENT. Cut out SOME of the diet soda and replace it with water. Maybe try telling yourself that you can have a diet soda right after you drink a bottle of water (flavored or not). If you get through that step, try cutting out a little more. Does it make a difference? Only you will know. If you notice a difference, you can then decided if you want to continue cutting it from your diet.

This will give you the answer you are looking for. Good luck!
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I drink 1-2 caffeine free diet cokes every day, whether I am dieting or not. I lost 88 pounds.

In my opinion, too much of anything could be too much.
  • monstergirl14
    monstergirl14 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Considering you drink them as religiously as you do, there may be in issue there. I would consider attempting to develop a fondness of water lol
  • liittlesparrow
    liittlesparrow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't drink them all the time. I drink diet mtn dew maybe once or twice a week.. But I usually don't finish the can, because it's just on my breaks at work. I would lay off of the sodas but if you like them, just moderate your intake of them.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Having similar amounts of sodium intake every day isn't going to make you retain increasing amounts of water. It also isn't going to stop you from losing fat while in a calorie deficit. All it does is (if you increase your intake) temporarily masks how much fat you're losing because the number on the scale is not simply "how much fat you have" but also several other factors that can change, including how much water you are retaining. It also does the inverse when your intake goes down and makes the number on the scale go down temporarily.

Unless your goal is to manipulate a number on a scale with no regard for how much fat you have, cutting back on sodium is as effective as taking off your clothes.
  • two_octopodes
    two_octopodes Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Having similar amounts of sodium intake every day isn't going to make you retain increasing amounts of water. It also isn't going to stop you from losing fat while in a calorie deficit. All it does is (if you increase your intake) temporarily masks how much fat you're losing because the number on the scale is not simply "how much fat you have" but also several other factors that can change, including how much water you are retaining. It also does the inverse when your intake goes down and makes the number on the scale go down temporarily.

Unless your goal is to manipulate a number on a scale with no regard for how much fat you have, cutting back on sodium is as effective as taking off your clothes.

Agree completely. Also, a 12 oz can of diet soda (Pepsi Max in my case), has 2% of your daily sodium allowance according to the nutrition info on the can in my hand right now. I can never understand why people get so hung up on the tiny amount of sodium in diet soda.
  • KipDrordy
    KipDrordy Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the replies, but will throw in my $.02. I drink diet soda myself. Not a whole lot (24 oz/day) but I've heard that diet soda aids in creating sugar cravings. Furthermore, it tricks your brain into thinking it got sugar and insulin levels change as if you've taken in sugar. In this case, I'd worry about drinking too much diet soda as it may have a negative affect on your health. I'm on my cell phone or else I'd find the article I read on the subject and link to it. Maybe later if no one beats me to it.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Even if it isn't affecting your weight loss, it would be hard to argue that it is healthy. it's just a bunch of chemicals. I was a Coke addict. Loved it. I drank one tonight, but I do it rarely now, and I feel so much better. I say, ditch the sodas. It will suck for a while, and you know it will, but it will be worth it in the long run. Switch to plain water and get used to it. It is what human bodies are meant to run on.
  • Reecebullet
    Reecebullet Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I used to drink a lot of soda. At-least 2 liters per day (which really adds up in calories). I stopped drinking them completely a week ago now, and have been drinking water only, nothing else.

Was (and is) really hard to do so, but easily worth it. Feeling much better drinking water, and drops over 1000 calories per day just in drinks.
  • richards_jim
    richards_jim Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Since starting my weight loss routine I have been reading all ingredient labels on food products...therefore ALL sodas are on my do not consume list. They are so full of crap as so are most prepared foods. I have started to prepare all my own foods. Also I do not eat any deep fried foods, have reduced (not totally eliminated) breads, white rice and pastas. I eat usually 5 times a day, excercise 4 times a week, walk 8-10kms a day. I've lost 60 lbs and now am just trying to tone up. I use a fitbit as well as a tool.
  • weightloser122
    Options
    i drank alot of diet soda during my weight loss. it wont prevent you from losing. ive cut back now for health reasons! it is not good for you
  • Luvmesumkenny
    Luvmesumkenny Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    well ive always been told the aspertame in diet sodas cause major health issues

lololol

Don't believe Everything you hear
    I drink 2-4 Cherry Coke Zeros a day
    atleast 48 oz of coffee a day with Sweet & Low
    And it hasn't affected my weight loss one bit
    It's called enjoying what you like in Moderation
  • tsietstra
    Options
    Im glad to hear you say this. I hate soda.
    It makes me ill.
    Not as in physically, like I drink it & it makes me sick,
    I mean as in People drink it all the time and it makes me sick.
    I hate it. Its useless, nothing but bad for you calories.
    My sons dad HAS always been a _SODA_ holic. Ive nvr got it.
    His health is terrible, at this point not necessarily because of soda,
    but thats what he leads back too. And I DO NOT let my son drink the crap
    the way he does.
    Its just no good.
    I personally, think it should be something you cant have till you are
    a certain age. Id dehydrate if there was only soda to drink.
    Gross.
  • tsietstra
    Options
    They do & will. They are not good for you.
    Its one of those, "Got you in the end" typa thing.
    Anyone drinking that much soda.... with that crap in it, or tea for that matter,
    It will never end up good for them.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!