Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Wowzers! I missed a day and fell behind by 3 pages! :noway:

Welcome to all of the newlings and welcome back Gorilla! :flowerforyou:

It took me so long to catch up on reading, so my personals will be super shorthand version tonight:

@robin--congrats on the SV!

@toots--glad DH is getting some answers and rest!

@tom, kaye, lin, & and all of the others doing great with that GHD challenge--woohoo! :drinker:

@kris--sorry to hear about your possible lay-off--fingers crossed that you get to stay there.

@susan--it's so great that you have this new opportunity!

@alison--great run! And I agree about rolling over calories for such a huge burn. I sometimes do the same. Purple sausage! Bwahahaha! :laugh:

@doug--love that exercise will be a REWARD for your son! Awesome! And great job adding in strength training--I find it really helps my running.

@holly--I can't remember what I wanted to say to you, so just a big "Hello!" to you! :happy:

I know I'm missing some folks, but I'll catch you all on my next round of personals.

Missed Tuesday Goals because I had to work last night. Every Feb. my HS offers ACT prep classes and I always get a few sessions to teach. It makes for a super long day, but it pays about $100/hour so totally worth it. I have one more session on Sat. morning. Ka-ching!

Exercise Goals:
    Mon--gym DONE (weights + elliptical + treadmill)
    Tues--rest day (have to teach an evening ACT class
    Wed--walk gunner DONE + core
    Thurs--walk gunner + gym
    Fri--rest day
    Sat--walk gunner + gym (long run)
    Sun--walk gunner + core

Grading Goals:
    1. 56/56 JRP plans (need to hand these back by Wed--YIKES!) DONE (phew!)
    2. 16/16 Vocab quizzes DONE
    3. x/16 ACT practice essays

February Challenge: 6/28 days of minimum 80 grams of protein

Wed. Wish:
    I wish my grading load could stay this light forever! Not gonna happen, but it's nice to dream. A more realistic wish is that I make better food choices. Someone (maybe Alison?) was talking about still managing to fit in the junk--I'm the same way. I will run miles to eat the sweets or drink my starbucks (hey, at least I drink the "skinny" versions :ohwell: ). I guess it's all better than eating it and NOT running those miles, but I wish I were a "cleaner" eater. Gonna work on that.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @holly--Just remembered what I wanted to say. Planks and push ups are both great for strengthening your core and losing inches around your waistline. I started with straight-arm planks and have "graduated" to planks on my forearms. I still do side planks straight armed--can't seem to hold them yet on my forearm (perhaps b/c I don't do them regularly enough).

@laurie--that challenge looks brutal and I hate burpees, so I'm gonna pass. :laugh: Kudos to you for doing it though!
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    Laurie and Gorilla - what the heck is a Burpee? I haven't heard of this exercise before.....

Burpee is also known as a squat thrust... I was trying to explain it... but it is easier to show you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2cPYR0lRUE

Thanks for the demo - way more than my poor body can handle - AT THIS POINT! But I sure do admire you for doing them.

Ground Hog Day Challenge - Feb. challenge - Leslie Sansone Walk a Mile - today - Done ! :love:
    (way over my food today, though - ugh!)
  • rachael726
    rachael726 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hi all I am behind on the pages so I can't do personals tonight but I'm still logging and staying strong. My wish for today is to continue to have the strength to continue this journey. I was approached by not 1, but 2 trainers tonight trying to get me to do the training session. 1 was nice and spent 10 minutes with me showing me some ab work and the other was kinda rude after I told him I am at the gym basically daily and he asked me for how long...I thought it was extremely rude.

Anyways, just wanted to say hi and keeping rockin ladies and gents!!

Rachael
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,132 Member
    Options
    Hello MFP friends - home again. The rain (soon to be freezing rain) started about the time I left the area and started to travel home. Then it stopped and there was nothing to contend with except of course the traffic. :laugh: :laugh:

Glad to be home but too tired to think of anything very coherent to say at this point. So I'll just say GHD Challenge, 6/6. Yep, came home and spent time with Leslie.

Some water is calling to me and then I'm gonna crash, hopefully somewhere near my bed! Nite all. :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Lin

1482351y1dphi597b.gif
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Gorilla- I completed 3 full sets of the base assessment. This was with a couple of short breaks. It was not bad but those bicycle crunches are a killer. Let me know how you do with the workout. I like the workout you posted, I may need to try that one as well but at lower weights.

Robin- You can modify the Burpees by just stepping back instead of jumping, then you either step back up to the starting point then jump up. The jumping up at the end kills me but that helps get your heart rate up. You can also do them off something higher than the floor until you get comfortable doing them.

Last night I completed the squat challenge in 35 minutes, which was great and tonight I did the base assessment of 3 sets in 15 minutes. Not bad since I am still dealing with the last of the sinus infection. I did do measurements tonight with my trainer so that will give me a goal to work towards for the next month.

Those who think the challenge is to hard just try part of it and see how you do. You may be amazed at just how much you can accomplish.

Wish- That everyone gets their wish tonight.
  • susan2396
    susan2396 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Burpees = evil! :laugh:

@Holly~Good decision on the measurements, they often are a better indicator than the scale anyway. :happy: Planks strengthen your core and your back. They are really hard at first but like everything do get easier - my trainer has me do them on an upside down Bosu ball, talk about hard!

@Holly - Totally agree with Kelley. Burpees are the worst!!! Planks are so good for you. They're really much harder than they seem. Also, there's a variety of types of planks as well. You will feel it in your belly that's for sure. When I first started, I could only stay up about 5 seconds, but now I'm up to 30 seconds and continue to add more. They're brutal!!
  • khaleesinoodlebelly
    Options
    Wishes. Too many to count. To get to live with my boyfriend and do it right. Is the biggest wish on the plate currently.
  • susan2396
    susan2396 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Wednesday Wish: I don't really make wishes, but I am praying that I make the right decision regarding my future. This is huge and a big leap of faith. While I'll be taking a cut in pay, paying more for insurance, losing the free gym, and a few other perks, I beieve it's worth it to work for some great people. I'll have to adjust my budget and perhaps make a few sacrifices, but the future benefits and sweat equity I'm willing to put into the new company now will hopefully bring huge rewards down the road. I'll share more as we continue to negotiate the offer.
  • kaybpaints
    kaybpaints Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hope you have room for one more. I am new to My fitness pal and message boards too. Lost alot of weight 7 years ago but have just about gained it all back. It is very discouraging to be starting over again. I am hoping and praying this time is the last.
  • kinnurse0754
    kinnurse0754 Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Hi All, Just a quick dropin, sorry I've been AWOL for the last few days. I finished off work on Monday morning after my 12 hour shift to find my car in the parking lot with 3 flat tires. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. The rear drivers was completely flat and the 2 front tires were almost flat. I ended up having to replace all 4 tires (ouch). Nails in all tires??? Don't have any constrruction anywhere close to where I live and I travel on a main highway to go back and forth from work so don't have a clue where I would have gotten nails in all 4 tires. So my plans for my days off got shot to hades.
    I have managed to not binge eat like I usually would have when upset so I guess I'm making progress somewhere. I've been logging my foods and staying on track and I'm down 13 pounds for the month of January which made me really happy. I'm trying really hard to find the positive things to focus on.
    I'm back to work tonight and just heading off to break. Hope everyone is having a good week. My Wednesday wish would be for some kind of financial windfall to help offset all of the unexpected expenses I've had to deal with in the last few months. I dont' want millions (although I wouldn't turn it down), just enough to make things a little more comfortable. Will try to come back tomorrow. Charlotte :drinker:
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    GHD Challenge: 6/6 Good night.
  • BohemianCoast
    BohemianCoast Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    @Laurie -- gosh, that sounds like a hard challenge. I'll look forward to hearing your progress.
    @Kris -- sorry to hear that your job's at risk.
    @Gorilla -- I think 5's pretty early for a gym to open really...
    @Robin -- Burpees are really scary! I don't think I could do even one.
    @Susan -- CONGRATS on the new job! How exciting.
    @Holly -- if you actually try to hold a plank for a couple of minutes you'll get what it is that they do for you. They're good because unlike a lot of core exercises, you can't use other muscles to compensate for a weak core.
    @Desdemina -- I don't want to second guess your doctor -- they're the professional. But normally if you're working out a *lot* it's normal to replace some of the carbs. Ideally your body would suck it up and start using stored fat for energy even while you're exercising, but apparently that process is impaired for most of us. I found when I was doing Dance Dance Revolution that lots of people didn't realise that Wii games could give you a good workout, so I'd be like 'I did 2 hours of DDR and sweated buckets and that's 1000 calories' and they'd be all 'yeah, right, sure you did'. But all that DDR really built up my cardio-vascular fitness and set me up for running.
    @Charlotte -- oh I'm sorry about your poor car! But what a great loss that is for January!

So I missed Wednesday wishes -- my wish for this week is that my husband finishes fitting the new shower screen today because losing our main bathroom has been a source of major major stress in our house. We're lucky in that we have a second small one but the shower's not very good and the room gets cold.

Thursday truth -- I have been a rubbish groundhog. I did planks about 3 times, and my protein has been consistently under that 75g target. Oh well. I will do a plank today, and try to refocus that protein.

I just about managed to keep balanced yesterday, despite meeting a friend in the pub. I had some calories saved from badminton, and we had a sharing platter but I had less than half of it. So that's ok.

Hope everyone's having a great Thursday!

-- Alison
  • dobarber
    dobarber Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Wednesday Wish, That I could stop putting off my workouts until I either have no time to do them or have very little time to do them. I've moved my workout time from the evening after the kids go to bed to the early morning after my wife leaves for work(3am). I just need to remember to stay off the couch and get my *kitten* downstairs to start working out instead of sitting on the couch and napping until I have to get ready for work.

Thursday Truth: i restarted day one of c25k and blew through it like it was nothing. My foot didn't hurt a bit(which is what I was afraid would hurt since the injury last September). I'm going to continue the c25k program every other day and lift 3 days of the week with a day off(probably Sunday). My legs are definitely feeling it after the run so I think I did a good thing starting from the beginning of the program. I did start at a higher speed so by the time the weather improves and I can move it outside I should be able to move outside at a decent speed. I felt my stomach muscles starting to get stretched the way they did last year when I started running which is a good thing this early in the game. Shouldn't be long before i'm back to running the 5k distances again. Hopefully the lifting will increase my performance as well. Also after the first lifting workout i'm still sore after 2 days of rest. Tonight I'm lifting again so that should further stretch out the muscle pain I'm feeling. Can't wait until this gets easier and I need to get more weight than I have now.
    Take care everyone and be safe in your workouts
    Doug

Thanks Robin for getting me in touch with Gorilla. I appreciate you looking out for me. You're really a godsend.
  • dobarber
    Options
    @walkingqueen: Planks are nothing to sneeze at. They're deceptively simple to do but incredibly difficult to continue doing for very long. The lifting workout that I'm currently doing ends with a minute of planks on my elbows and I have been able to finish the full minute yet. My body seems to give out at about 50 seconds.
    TTYL
    Doug
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Lauriek70, the bicycle kick part was what concerned me on that assessment! LOL Pick up the book New Rules of Lifting Supercharged... that is where I got that workout, and the way the book is written you get to choose the exercises to do in each part. It is actually an amazing workout book so long as you take the time to read and understand it... Luckily I have have been following the NROL series for quite a while now...

Dobarber- Nice job on the c25k day... i bet it will come back quickly once you get past the injury to your foot. And sore for two days is a good thing! Hope the workout changes up a bit tonight!

Thursday Truth... I love spin class!!! Yup, I am a man, a big fella who picks up heavy things and puts them down. But on Wednesday nights you will find me in the spin room with the ladies sweating to horrible pop music remixes! It really gets my legs screaming sore and has me sweating like crazy, so I know its a good workout. Much more fun then the treadmill!

Tonight I will be back to lifting workout A tonight.... I will write it up tomorrow after I do it.
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Good morning.

@Kaye- good job on your GHD Challenge!

I'm 7/7 on GHD Challenge.

Lets all have a healthy day!

Tom
  • dobarber
    Options
    @Gorilla: I'm actually thinking about alternating lower and upper body parts of the workout during the week and doing the core part of it every day. Good thing about the workout they have in the biggest loser book is its broken up into upper lower and core muscle groups so I can split them up easily enough to give myself rest but still workout every day.
  • Desdemina
    Desdemina Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    @Kay - Welcome! I am so excited at all the new folks lately! Not that I'm an old-timer, only been around a few weeks, but I like meeting new people.

@Charlotte - good job on avoiding binging! And congrats on the great January loss. Unexpected expenses suck. But focus on the things you're doing so well!

@Bohemian - yeah, the doctor did say that people who work out a LOT regularly get to have a FEW more carbs, but I'm not in that category yet. I just happened to have one really good night :) But, yeah, those "games" are serious exercise! I played DDR since my PS2, but now that I have the Kinect, I don't anymore. The YourShape game has a DDR type game in it, but the dance pad is virtual! But Dance Central 3 is by far my favorite right now. I can't believe I'm actually looking forward to going home so I can play some more!

I passed the 25 pounds lost mark today! I haven't set a firm goal weight, I figure I'll know when I get there :) I just have a vague idea of wanting to wear a size 12 again. But regardless, I'm at least a quarter of the way there!

I wonder how many calories the Happy Dance burns?
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    @Gorilla: I'm actually thinking about alternating lower and upper body parts of the workout during the week and doing the core part of it every day. Good thing about the workout they have in the biggest loser book is its broken up into upper lower and core muscle groups so I can split them up easily enough to give myself rest but still workout every day.

That is not a bad plan... I think it is better to be able to break the workouts into full body workouts that just focus on different parts of either lower or upper body. But then again lower body is always my favorite part of the workout either squats or deadlifts...