Hubby threw out all my "healthy food".. WTH

Options

Replies

• hubtech
    hubtech Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Let him cool down and then have a talk with him about what's going on. Then do rebuy your food. You are a grown woman and need not be controlled by someone else. If he doesn't like the food you are buying, he knows his way to the grocery store, right? Or if you are the main shopper and want to work with him, talk to him about some of the things he enjoys that he would like to have "in stock" around the house. He needs to respect and support you and you need to do the same, and having a screaming fit of pent up resentment is not the way to do it. Good luck to you and keep up the good work you're doing for your body.

^^^ This. Hope you can work it out so you're both happy.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I seriously am baffled by how asinine the majority of the replies to this post are.
    Do you know nothing about men?

So many of you are so quick to condemn the OP's hubby for being selfish, immature, abusive, insensitive, blah, blah blah...

Did any of you READ the original post?

He supported her for TWO MONTHS without complaining, without the slightest objection while she single handedly decided to change both their lifestyles without even consulting him.

So he acted like a child and blew up after 2 months of starving. I would too.

yeah, let's just chuck everything and kick him out. Or better yet, abuse him verbally and physically and play tit-for-tat money games like so many also suggested.

Yes, that's the perfect solution. It's all his fault for being skinny naturally and liking to eat "real" food.

And so many posters insist the hubby has an anger management problem, a drinking problem, a fear of his wife "getting Hot" problem. Projecting much?

How freaking idiotic are you?

The guy is not EATING. He's sucked it up and said nothing for TWO MONTHS. He's not overweight, yet he's being starved. He works. She doesn't. He pays for the groceries. She only buys the groceries she wants that are conducive to her new eating regime. She (and so many of you) don't seem to think that by paying for the groceries (and probably everything else in the house) he has a right to ask for FOOD he can enjoy. Maybe she doesn't have to cook it (though she should at least part of the time) but at the very least it should be AVAILABLE to him. And those of you who say he should get his own food are very quick to condemn him from bringing Taco Bell home! If he pays for it, it's ALL his food IMO.

there is no hidden agenda here, no ulterior motive. he doesn't want to sabotage her. He's HUNGRY.

Most men aren't that complicated Ladies.

I agree with those who say communication is essential to a relationship, of course, but it certainly does not sound as if the OP consulted her hubby at all when making major life decisions that affect him. and you all think this is fine, and he's an *kitten* for not being supportive!!! How would you feel if your SO suddenly decided that for his/her health you were going to become a vegan, a meatatarian, or eat only raw foods? Why is it ok her for to make that choice for both of them? Because you personally happen to agree with the choice she elected to make???
    How self-centered, immature, small minded and short sighted.

Poor guy.

So. Much.

This.
  • TigressPat
    Options
    I'm trying to sort through all of the responses here but don't see anything addressing this: I cook healthy food for my family because I want THEM to be healthy as well. If my husband and teenagers want to stuff themselves silly with junk food, that's their perogative, but they won't be doing it on my watch.

My fiance died suddenly ten years ago at the age of 42 of a massive coronary. He ate what he liked, didn't take care of himself, and shunned the idea of any kind of healthy eating. I love my husband and my kids, and I love myself. I don't feel like the OP should have to keep unhealthy food on hand because her husband wants to eat that way.

What I do when cooking for the family is just make extras of the stuff that the rest of them like -- pasta or chili or whatever - cook it all in a healthy way and seriously? Nobody is the wiser. They don't know if the chili is vegetarian or if the meat is extra lean or whatever. And if they're still hungry, they know where the peanut butter is!

bring on Big Brother...
  • aliciagetshealthy
    aliciagetshealthy Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I seriously am baffled by how asinine the majority of the replies to this post are.

So many of you are so quick to condemn the OP's hubby for being selfish, immature, abusive, insensitive, blah, blah blah...

He supported her for TWO MONTHS without complaining, without the slightest objection while she single handedly decided to change both their lifestyles without even consulting him.

yeah, let's just chuck everything and kick him out. Or better yet, abuse him verbally and physically and play tit-for-tat money games like so many also suggested.

Yes, that's the perfect solution. It's all his fault for being skinny naturally and liking to eat "real" food.

And so many posters insist the hubby has an anger management problem, a drinking problem, a fear of his wife "getting Hot" problem. Projecting much?

The guy is not EATING. He's sucked it up and said nothing for TWO MONTHS. He's not overweight, yet he's being starved. He works. She doesn't. He pays for the groceries. She only buys the groceries she wants that are conducive to her new eating regime. She (and so many of you) don't seem to think that by paying for the groceries (and probably everything else in the house) he has a right to ask for FOOD he can enjoy. Maybe she doesn't have to cook it (though she should at least part of the time) but at the very least it should be AVAILABLE to him. And those of you who say he should get his own food are very quick to condemn him from bringing Taco Bell home! If he pays for it, it's ALL his food IMO.

there is no hidden agenda here, no ulterior motive. he doesn't want to sabotage her. He's HUNGRY.

I agree with those who say communication is essential to a relationship, of course, but it certainly does not sound as if the OP consulted her hubby at all when making major life decisions that affect him. and you all think this is fine, and he's an *kitten* for not being supportive!!! How would you feel if your SO suddenly decided that for his/her health you were going to become a vegan, a meatatarian, or eat only raw foods? Why is it ok her for to make that choice for both of them? Because you personally happen to agree with the choice she elected to make???

Poor guy.

I was going to stay out of this thread because I just couldn't find a way to voice my opinion nicely...but yeah, this pretty much summed up my feelings about it too.
  • rachel4304
    rachel4304 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to sort through all of the responses here but don't see anything addressing this: I cook healthy food for my family because I want THEM to be healthy as well. If my husband and teenagers want to stuff themselves silly with junk food, that's their perogative, but they won't be doing it on my watch.

My fiance died suddenly ten years ago at the age of 42 of a massive coronary. He ate what he liked, didn't take care of himself, and shunned the idea of any kind of healthy eating. I love my husband and my kids, and I love myself. I don't feel like the OP should have to keep unhealthy food on hand because her husband wants to eat that way.

What I do when cooking for the family is just make extras of the stuff that the rest of them like -- pasta or chili or whatever - cook it all in a healthy way and seriously? Nobody is the wiser. They don't know if the chili is vegetarian or if the meat is extra lean or whatever. And if they're still hungry, they know where the peanut butter is!

On the flip side of your coin, isn't your deception going to have long-term consequences for your teens? I mean in a few years, they are going to be on their own and not know about how to make healthy food choices. After all, mom made chili and pasta with PB for dessert all the time and we didn't gain weight!.... And by denying them the "junk food" you are taking away the chance to learn to eat food in moderation. Deception and ignorance are never the step in the right direction.

I see future MFP members in the making.
  • Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    Options

The guy is an active man with no weight issues. I'm sure he wants the best for his wife, he just just (quite reasonably) doesn't want to starve just because she wants to lose weight. Needs vs wants.
    Note that these "healthy" foods were moreso low calorie than healthy - nothing wrong with whole milk. At all.

I totally disagree with people saying he should cook and buy his own food. That just removes quite a large part of the relationship between them, and considering he is the one employed in the house, by all fairness it would mean he buys whatever he wants and OP has to deal with it.

I suspect the offering of the nachos (which are freaking awesome, btw) and subsequent rage was his reaction to showing OP what it was like to have a food you didn't want forced on you, and OP not getting the message. There was no food he usually enjoys in the house because OP threw it away, so he threw her stuff away. No one wants to be force fed food they don't want.
    I'm pretty sure a compromise can be reached by buying to suit both of their needs - buy whole milk for him, 2% for her, ice cream for him, yoghurt for her. If OP can't control her cravings or whatever around her husbands food, that's not the foods fault nor her husbands: it's hers.

Or: he could just eat more of what she made and stop acting like a spoiled child.

I agree. He sounnds like a brat. Lol!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Ah MFP...where divorce is the FIRST possible response to everything and the only thread holding it back is the threat of alimony and child support payments.
  • TigressPat
    Options
    Ah MFP...where divorce is the FIRST possible response to everything and the only thread holding it back is the threat of alimony and child support payments.

I bet it is a great place for enterprising lawyers!
  • ChrisC_77
    ChrisC_77 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I can't want until this thread hits 500 and we all stay out of it once and for all. We made our points. O plenty..
  • deekay8507
    deekay8507 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I would buy my own food. I would tell him to take his happy *kitten* to the store to buy whatever he wants.
  • Lisa_Rhodes
    Lisa_Rhodes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I see both sides from commenters, but mostly, it's all about compromise. My hubby needs to lose a few and can in flash bc of exercising. I get what I need for me and I also get what he wants, but we usually eat the same things bc he's used to not heavily seasoned/saucy foods. it's funny if I get what he likes and I won't eat it bc of calories, he tries to say I'm making him fat... ;-)
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    In all fairness, you're the one who is trying to change your eating habits and you've kind of forced it on him. I'd suggest making some of the things he wants available in the house. Continue to eat healthy yourself and cook healthy. If he chooses to eat crap, so be it. You can only change you.

I have to disagree with part of this. I have tried to buy indulgent food to keep in my house for other people and you know who ends up eating it first - ME!!!!! For some of us its an all or nothing type of change because we dont have the self control that some of you do.

If he wants to eat his way, why cant you ask him to eat his junk food at lunch or with friends and eat healthy at home. Seems like a reasonable compromise to me.
  • PopCorn_Said
    Options
    [Not every man is going to be happy with no control over what he eats at home. Name calling seems a bit much.

And that's why every man should know how to cook.

And every woman should work full time?

I work full time (9 hours a day), I go to University, get home cook, clean, shop for groceries... Why do you guys assume that if you handle the house chores you are not working?!?!!?

If I go shopping, I am buying whatever I want. If I am cooking, I am cooking whatever I want. If you don't like this, then you know where the shop is... and the location of the stove. Get to it.

Name calling is a bit much tho... :flowerforyou:
  • edge_dragoncaller
    edge_dragoncaller Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Let him cool down and then have a talk with him about what's going on. Then do rebuy your food. You are a grown woman and need not be controlled by someone else. If he doesn't like the food you are buying, he knows his way to the grocery store, right? Or if you are the main shopper and want to work with him, talk to him about some of the things he enjoys that he would like to have "in stock" around the house. He needs to respect and support you and you need to do the same, and having a screaming fit of pent up resentment is not the way to do it. Good luck to you and keep up the good work you're doing for your body.

^^^ This. Hope you can work it out so you're both happy.

Already happened. Page 10, OP stated issues have been worked through.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • 19kat55
    19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
    Options

Poor guy.

Yes, all of this! I think I love you! :flowerforyou:
  • TigressPat
    Options
    [Not every man is going to be happy with no control over what he eats at home. Name calling seems a bit much.

I work full time (9 hours a day), I go to University, get home cook, clean, shop for groceries... Why do you guys assume that if you handle the house chores you are not working?!?!!?

If I go shopping, I am buying whatever I want. If I am cooking, I am cooking whatever I want. If you don't like this, then you know where the shop is... and the location of the stove. Get to it.

the assumption is on your part.
    the OP said she did NOT work.
  • MissyBenj
    MissyBenj Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    In all fairness, you're the one who is trying to change your eating habits and you've kind of forced it on him. I'd suggest making some of the things he wants available in the house. Continue to eat healthy yourself and cook healthy. If he chooses to eat crap, so be it. You can only change you.

She isn't forcing anything--- if he wants "real" food - remind him to take his butt to the store and buy it himself. If he doesn't like what she's made for dinner, make your own. He isn't a toddler that she needs to support. No man should discourage your fitness journey. He doesn't sound supportive, at all.
  • edge_dragoncaller
    edge_dragoncaller Posts: 826 Member
    Options

Guess what...I work a full time job, I do all the cooking, the cleaning, and the shopping. Guess what else, when I go shopping I ASK my wife if she wants anything specific. Just because I do all the chores doesn't mean I get to dictate what is bought and I'm not going to act like a stubbor child who sits down in the aisle next to the toy they want but can't have. I'll happily by the box of oreos that she wants, even if I don't eat them.