Hubby threw out all my "healthy food".. WTH

Options

Replies

• melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm.....well he needs to be more supportive for YOU. He should be happy you want to eat healthy and live a healthy life. On the otherhand, he shouldn't have to be on the diet with you. You know what I mean? Buy his sodas, snacks, ect that he likes. Yes, it will probably be a huge challenge for you to have that stuff in the house but he shouldnt have to suffer. It sounds like you do all the grocery shopping? I guess maybe if you buy stuff for him even though its not healthy it may make him happy. Mrs Dash? I love Mrs. Dash. But, throw a little salt in the flippin food if it makes him happy. It can't hurt you that bad. Or "pretend" to put salt in there. LOL, like you do for kids. But he should be happy you are wanting to eat healthy and he SHOULD NOT be mad at you because you dont want to eat crap food! But, again I believe he should be able to have his "foods" in the house as well.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    In all fairness, you're the one who is trying to change your eating habits and you've kind of forced it on him. I'd suggest making some of the things he wants available in the house. Continue to eat healthy yourself and cook healthy. If he chooses to eat crap, so be it. You can only change you.

^^^ This! Unless you have horrible self control... why not keep some things he likes in the house... and you don't have to cook two meals... just portion some of it out for you and put salt in his.
  • Run4UrHealth
    Run4UrHealth Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    He would shop and cook his own meals if he did not like what I bought or cooked! I will work with my kids but not a grown man!
  • AfreezeAdventure
    AfreezeAdventure Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have a similar situation at home except the opposite. My fiance buys organic -almost-vegan food..and doesn't take into consideration the healthy foods I enjoy.

My suggestion is, if you're going to do YOUR diet, you shouldn't force your husband to follow the same guidelines.

the attitude in these forums are "THIS PERSON SHOULD SUPPORT ME"....when realistically you should be supporting each other.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I buy the food that I eat and ask my husband what he wants. We have a grocery list, if it's on the list it's purchased. If he wants whole milk then buy him whole milk and buy yourself whatever he wants. WTH is wrong with salt? I'd throw out your Mrs. Dash too. Also, what's your definition of healthy food? Most things that are specifically made to be fat free tend to have added sugar and be less satisfying. Maybe you both need to rethink this process. I'm not saying that it's okay that he threw everything out, I'm just saying that I cooked a whole chicken last night and used butter to brown it.
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Buy him his pop and junk food. Just don't eat them. Eat the healthy stuff you buy yourself. It's not difficult. You can't force someone to eat healthier.

Although I will say whenever the SO decides to start complaining about what food is in the house, I always tell him that if he wants something different, he's more then welcome to go to the store himself and purchase said item. Since he hates the grocery store, that normally shuts him right up.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    There's a lot that could go into this depending on your husband. Some guys like their women a certain way so he might just want you EXACTLY how you are - even if you aren't happy with yourself. If that's the case then you guys need to communicate on that. Or why is he being like this? Is he insecure that you are going to be in better shape than him? :) There's a reason for his behavior.

Someone else also mentioned trying to cook things he likes. There are lots of healthier versions of just about any fatty favorite. Try and cook those up some night without telling him they are healthier options and see how he likes it.

If he doesn't like that - then you can take other people's suggestions of kicking his butt! lol

Good luck!

P.S. I kind of wish sometimes my boyfriend was like this - I go to eat a candy heart and he says "Is this helpful in your goals? Does this help your marathon training?" WELL NO BUT I WANT TO EAT!
  • lovemykids58
    lovemykids58 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I buy all the food, do all the cooking. If my husband doesent like it he is welcome to buy and make his own food. :smile:
  • fat_destroza
    fat_destroza Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I can understand that! At first my husband was supportive and to be honest I think is was because he didn't take me seriously when I told him I was going to lose weight.

I am married to a chubby chaser lol, but he is skin and bones himself. I have been on this journey since October and when he seen that I was serious about weight loss, he was pissed. I told him to either like it or love it because I'm going to do it.

I think maybe he was threatened by the fact that I'm changing, Maybe men feel they will be left behind when their woman loses weight. To me they should be proud!

Anyway I fix his meals separate from mine. I am use to my healthy lifestyle and on occasions I will give into the pizza, but besides that no one is going to stop me on my journey to become a happier, healthier me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    tell him this is for u and not him! Tell him to quit being so damn selfish. What an ultra douche! No worries, I had to put my husband in check. What is fricken funny is how he has managed to lose 45 pounds and me only 15 but he's finally getting the concept...m lol...

WOW, him being selfish?????????????????????

She is the one being selfish by forcing her way of eating on him when he didn't ask to eat that way.

Most of you live in some self absorbed warped mentality to think that he is being the selfish one.

He didn't handle it in the correct manner, but dang when someone has had enough, sometimes you just have to snap on people.
  • melinda200208
    Options
    Thank You!! I totally agree with this!! I think if you are married, you need to work together as a "team" Not treat one or the other like a child. You should be able to have your healthy foods in the house as well as the food he likes even if it isn't healthy. He's a big boy, I think he should be able to eat what he wants.....just my opinion
    I also don't think it has to be all or nothing.

I buy 3 different types of milk at my house....I drink skim, the kids drink 2% and my husband drinks rice milk (he's lactose intolerant). I'm the only one who likes Greek yogurt, so I buy that for me and buy regular yogurt for the kids. There are plenty of things that I like to eat that nobody else in the house does. No big deal.
    As for meals....I only cook one meal. My husband does understand and appreciate that I cook healthy 80% of the time. I'm not so strict about it that we can't have some 'fun' food sometimes. It's all about balance. Our dinners usually consist of a protein (meat), starch and veggie. When we eat balanced, healthy food 80-85% of the time, we don't think twice about having pizza or chinese take out here and there.
  • Vmax1992
    Vmax1992 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    So sad to read what happened. Much easier to do when both are on the same page. Hang in there. Thinking about it, I would say there is something else bothering him, as food is such a petty thing to flip out about. Dig deeper, try and figure it out, and if all else fails, as you dig you can push him into the hole and cover him up.....problem solved. Keep a smile.
  • melinda200208
    Options
    Well Said!!!!
    My boyfriend and I live together and we don't share the same diet. We go grocery shopping together and he buys what he wants and I buy what I want. Sometimes he cooks for me and sometimes I cook for him and we always ask each other what we'd like for lunch or dinner if the other one is cooking.

I agree that your husband overreacted and he handled it the wrong way but you can't expect him to follow in your steps if he doesn't want to (I'm NOT justifying what he did though).

It's all about COMMUNICATION and COMPROMISE.

It takes two to make a relationship work, not one telling the other what to do.
  • ChrisC_77
    ChrisC_77 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Well Said!!!!
    My boyfriend and I live together and we don't share the same diet. We go grocery shopping together and he buys what he wants and I buy what I want. Sometimes he cooks for me and sometimes I cook for him and we always ask each other what we'd like for lunch or dinner if the other one is cooking.

I agree that your husband overreacted and he handled it the wrong way but you can't expect him to follow in your steps if he doesn't want to (I'm NOT justifying what he did though).

Agreed!

Too many on here are seeing this as a one sided issue. They don't like how he handled the situation. But yet feel okay with dictating their own household to their specifications. Teamwork and trying to help one another with their goals. The goals are not always the same and so no one should expect their spouse to follow their strategy. But respect it...yes!
  • Yaya1976
    Yaya1976 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    In all fairness, you're the one who is trying to change your eating habits and you've kind of forced it on him. I'd suggest making some of the things he wants available in the house. Continue to eat healthy yourself and cook healthy. If he chooses to eat crap, so be it. You can only change you.

I 100% agree ^^^

He doesn't have to change his eating habits. I would apologize to him for not asking him if it was ok to change his menu, then maybe he'll apologize to you for over reacting. You can't force someone to eat healthy, so I wouldn't try.

Good luck to you.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Well Said!!!!

Agreed!

Too many on here are seeing this as a one sided issue. They don't like how he handled the situation. But yet feel okay with dictating their own household to their specifications. Teamwork and trying to help one another with their goals. The goals are not always the same and so no one should expect their spouse to follow their strategy. But respect it...yes!

Yes, and people wonder why the divorce rate is so high................
  • kristinlc88
    kristinlc88 Posts: 63 Member
    Options

This.
    My boyfriend and I do the same thing. And we also compromise with the food we cook for each other. For example, last night he made homemade spaghetti sauce and added ground up cauliflower to it. Not because he likes it (he really hates it, but you can't taste it much if it's disguised), but because I have a rule that there always has to be one vegetable with dinner.

I've found multiple ways to make vegetables appealing to him. I'll eat them plain, but he really doesn't like any vegetable in existence.

We've also compromised and he has replaced ground beef with ground turkey in everything.
    There's also no reason why you can't make healthy, but TASTY food. I make baked turkey meatballs in a little bit of barbecue sauce, spaghetti with turkey, chicken breast in italian dressing, etc. All are tasty but still healthy.

You have to find a compromise and middle ground, otherwise blowups like that are going to happen, and frankly, I can't blame him for doing it (although throwing your food away was a little much).
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

Yes, and people wonder why the divorce rate is so high................

QFT.

And for sadness.
  • rochellena
    rochellena Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I've of two minds with this. On one hand, I see no reason there can't be a few of the things he likes around such as the whole milk. There are things I enjoy (cucumbers, tomatoes) that my husband doesn't, and things he likes (mushrooms, nuts) that I don't, but I keep both on hand for snacks and such throughout the day. I guess I don't see it as having to be an either/or proposition. Why can't he have a few of those little things around? You aren't compelled to eat them.

Now, when it comes to meals, then yeah if he wants me to continue being the person who cooks breakfast and dinner everyday, then he will eat what I make. If he doesn't like it, then he can get in the damn kitchen and make his own meals. That being said, I know that he hates raw tomatoes and is very picky on the texture of the vegetables, and I try to take those things into consideration. I know this these things because he told me, and I'm not going to tell he is going to suddenly have to start eating these things and he's going to like it.

It sounds like there was a major breakdown in communication between you guys, and the only thing that will really fix the problem is sitting down and trying to come to some sort of compromise.

Now, in regards to the way he lashed out- completely ridiculous and childish. When my three-year-old acts like that, he gets a time out. That behaviour is unsavory in a child and downright pathetic in an adult.
  • glozaria
    Options
    that's funny about slapping him and saying "i want a better man by the time i get back"... sorry he's being unsupportive. Maybe he just needed his fix and will be better now that he got it. all the best to you.