FAT PEOPLE CAN BE AS HEALTHY AS THIN PEOPLE

Options

Replies

• EstiloPanama
    Options
    I am 250 and 5'5. Not diabetic, no high blood pressure, normal everything. I hiked Glacier National Park with my fiance, and made it all the way to the top! I feel healthy on the inside. I just want it to reflect on the outside. I am sure that the weight isn't good for my knees or back. I'm not interested in losing weight, more interested in losing fat and getting in shape. And also, I think about my heart having to work extra to keep my blood circulating. That's not really good for my heart, so I know I need to lose weight even though I am otherwise healthy. But yea, I have seen overweight people running marathons and doing all kinds of awesome stuff. You dont have to be skinny to be healthy.
  • Yaya1976
    Yaya1976 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    My great grandfather was born in 1900, died in 1992. He was 92 and fit as a fiddle. He was thin, his only vice, salt. My great grandmother, still kicking, she's almost 95 and thin. My great aunts, tiny tiny thin women, all passed away in their 80's. My aunt, pretty thin and in good health, almost 50. My grandfather almost 88, very thin. My grandmother almost 80, very thin. My mother very thin till about 40, could stand to lose about 25 lbs, but still in pretty good shape. Goes out salsa dancing about 3 days a week.

My other aunt, 4 foot 11 inches and weighs almost 300 lbs. Had a heart attack not to long ago. My 2 other uncles both over weight, one passed away at 35, the other is still around, but very unhealthy and he's over weight.
  • toshi89
    toshi89 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Just goin to reply to the name of the topic. Yes, so true. Being a size 7 doesn't mean your healthy (or not healthy b4 someone gets offended) and also, being a size 16 doesn't make you unhealthy. I was a 12-14 most of my life & I was actually fit & healthy until 4 years ago. Then I was unhealthy & a size 14-16. Size doesn't describe health, your lifestyle does.
  • keenslk
    keenslk Posts: 126
    Options
    in Australia and New Zealand more money is spent in the health system on obesity related diseases than any other health problems caused from other triggers (such as smoking)... obesity is the biggest killer in society! fact

im sure this would also be the same in the US which has one of the highest obesity rates in the world..

fat/obesity aint healthy... just saying
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    sure they can! in fact I once read a study that being overweight is actually protective in old age.Obesity not so much same for being underweight, but being a chunky old lady is actually pretty healthy.
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    How many obese 90 year olds do you see around?

that'd be almost zero...
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options

this ^^
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options

This. My weight turned my health into a ticking time bomb.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options

Who want to live to 90?
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    My Mother was the perfect weight. She had no bad habits. She died at 90. It is not up to us. It is what it is.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Let's be honest with ourselves.

Health is not the only aspect of diet and fitness.

Vanity is a big factor and you shouldn't be afraid to say it.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I've seen a repeat in in the comments of "my knees bother me" or "my back hurts" or "My blood pressure is a little high" but otherwise I'm healthy.

IMO, these things = something wrong = not healthy.

The way some of the people talk it's like they assume that since they haven't had a heat attach or a stroke yet they are "healthy".....

THe blood pressure, the bad knees, and the sore back are all signs that the weight is starting to take a toll on your body... so no, you're not healthy anymore....
  • peterdt
    peterdt Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    love the negativity. love to hear from the glass half empty people. lol. yes, i'm being sarcastic.

actually, its about 50/50. lots of people positive too.

if you're going to offer something objective though I would love to hear it. another study that offers different information for example.

subjective opinions.. hmmm. not so much.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I think the point of the ' healthy at every weight ' movement is to convince people who are overweight to start taking steps to become more healthy without focusing on what the scale says - giving examples of how to become healthier without putting pressure on them for something they probably already have personal issues with and most likely view as inevitable. Really, what is it but a basic example of what everyone on this site is trying to do (except members who smoke and binge drink) ? Just without the benefit of calorie counting to ensure measurable results.

If they follow that guide, eating more fruits and vegetables and exercising more, most will naturally lose the weight anyway and make it a moot point. If not, at least they are taking their health as much into their own hands as they can.

Seriously, this is a dumb thing to argue about.

I sort of disagree eating more fruits veggies and exercising more will just "naturally" cause people to lose weight (maybe guys only... :laugh: )

However TOTALLY agree that there should be a positive attitude about eating healthier and exercising in our society. I know too many overweight people who say "when I lose weight..." and of course weight loss is hard. But putting off good choices, or putting off your dreams, that's hard too. If you want to run, run now, don't wait. If you want to start lifting weights, do that now, don't wait. Quit smoking today. Don't wait for weight loss to be the healthy person you can be. Love yourself and start living life, don't wait to lose weight to start exercising, start today! Not sure any of us on MFP need that message but probably society in general could benefit from that. I disagree that weight loss will come "naturally" when these steps are taken (it's still food in / energy out, and easy to continue to overeat, even if you're eating healthy). But think I'd rather be an overweight person who runs rather than an overweight person who doesn't.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Probably, the bottom line is that a bit of overweight will likely not take much of a toll but that obesity is a killer and the more obese someone is, the faster it will kill. I'm convinced that the obese are overfed and undernourished. On the other end of things, we have the unhealthy thin folks who are also undernourished---and underfed as well. The common denominator is undernourishment. It is amazing how good real food tastes when you cut out the junk. Since I cut out sugar and wheat, the health problems have greatly diminished along with my weight. I still have arthritis, but it has improved with the weight loss.
  • Xarina
    Xarina Posts: 25 Member
    Options

My great grandfather and grandmother lived to 89 and 92. They were both obese.

I'm obese, got great cholesterol. Triglycerides is like 79 which is awesome. Blood pressure 100/60 awesome, blood sugar 84 also awesome. I'm just around 130lbs overweight not so awesome. I don't feel unhealthy though. I just want to be able to wear what I want, and not be judged so much by other people. Also they don't make all dresses in all sizes, yah know (sadly).
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Interesting
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options

Who want to live to 90?

Me!

If Im healthy and active at 90, why wouldnt I want to be here?

I dont get the point of the question.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options

Who want to live to 90?

Most 89 year olds.
  • libertarian4321
    libertarian4321 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My grandmother started to lose weight as she got older. By the time she was 90, she was probably down to 250. But before that, she was pretty heavy, I would guess 270 or so.

By the time she hit 100, she was probably only 220 or so.

I guess getting old is a great weight loss program?