Juice Fasting?

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Juice fasting is a GREAT way to detox, you just have to do it right! You have to use FRESHLY juiced veggies/fruits. concentrate juice is a total joke and has barely any nutritional value. I have some great power juice recipes if you want to add me I'd exchange a couple :)

You just have to be careful on a juice fast. No heavy exercising or high heats, you don't want to overwork a detoxing body. It's trying to heal, not build muscle.

What exactly are you detoxing? I suggest you read the thread above.

Edit as Bean linked the same thread.
  • MeanSophieCat
    MeanSophieCat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I have known two people who did juice fasts.

My brother-in-law just did a 10 day. He is a Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead fanatic. He has the expensive juicer. As a thin guy, he lost 10lbs - but probably a good deal of muscle. He had a headache for the first five days. The last five days he couldn't sleep because he was thinking of food.

The second guy was a guy I worked with. He juice fasted every Lent - he's probably doing it right now. He did it the whole 40 days. He did not have a fancy juicer but purchased the more expensive, all fruit/veggie juices from a Whole Foods. He did not do it for the health benefits - his was a spiritual fast - but he swore it made him healthier. He had not been sick in 10 years.

I'm not sure about long-term benefits but I can't imagine that it could do anything beyond what removing processed food from your diet could do. As we hear repeatedly, the human body was designed for a hunter/gatherer lifestyle. It is agriculture that is going to kill us all :D
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Blending the fruit isn't good enough. You lose all the nutrients the skin and pulp of the fruit provide. If you juice fast you HAVE to use a juicer or something like the Nutribullet (it's actually preferred as it extracts ALL the nutrients).

That's delusional. Juicers REMOVE the pulp and do not have any special extraction of nutrients.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I know people who have done this for short periods of time..a week to ten days at most, and they say they liked it, and would do it again eventually. I don't think longer than that would be healthy ...not a lot of protein in there.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Juice fasting is a GREAT way to detox, you just have to do it right! You have to use FRESHLY juiced veggies/fruits. concentrate juice is a total joke and has barely any nutritional value. I have some great power juice recipes if you want to add me I'd exchange a couple :)

You just have to be careful on a juice fast. No heavy exercising or high heats, you don't want to overwork a detoxing body. It's trying to heal, not build muscle.
    Pretty much none of this

nonono_zpsf5bca560.gif
  • eyeshuh
    eyeshuh Posts: 333
    Options
    You don't need to clean out your guts. Cleaning out your guts causes disruption of the healthy bacteria colonies that keep your digestive system functioning properly.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/821828-detoxes-and-cleanses

^^^^ Read this and then don't start juicing. Just eat a healthy diet and go exercise a bit.
  • Coco_puff901
    Coco_puff901 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    You could start by just replacing 1 meal with a juice to start.... I was doing that for a while and I wasn't hungry, you could add a little protien powder to it for extra protien , I did that with mine. Good luck !
  • KellenaG
    KellenaG Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have always kinda thought that the idea of actually doing a juice fast seemed a little extreme, but I just wanted to hear some other opinions on it. I'm getting a juicer tomorrow, but I won't be doing a juice fast. Even if I wanted to, I couldn't afford to buy enough produce to consume JUST juice. Looks like I'll be doing it just to get more veggies in my diet! I normally don't like just a whole lot of vegetables, so I'll have to stick to either smoothies or juicing to get my daily intake.
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    I think it's a good way to get more veggies, along with an otherwise balanced diet. Good deal.
  • katrinajMiles
    katrinajMiles Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    If it seems to good to be true it probably is.

So many people on here focus these fad diets that yes you'll probably loose weight but it's not a healthy way. Not to mention that as soon as you start eating properly again you'll stack on a few again.

At the end of the day you need to make a lifestyle change and eat healthy and keep your fitness up and the rest will take care of itself. It won't happen in a week but over time you will see the results and keep them.
  • mamacinta
    Options
    Juice fasting at least 2 to 4 times a year is a really good idea. It gives your digestive system time to heal. We consume a lot of food that is difficult for our bodies to digest, depending on your diet, of course. It's not necessary to get "hung up" on the amount of time you do a juice fast. I usually do it 1 day a week or sometimes 3 days at a time. It always makes me feel really good, like I've given my body a rest. Of course the juice you drink has to be homemade, from a good juicer, and ideally with organic fruits and vegetables. I love my juice! It is one of the most nutritious things you can do for your body. Try it. I think you would be amazed at how full you feel and more importantly how we view our relationship to food. So much about eating is the physical aspect of chewing and swallowing. You are getting ALL you need and likely much more when you consume raw, fresh juice...even if that is all you're consuming for an entire day or two or 60.
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    bump
  • He actually uses a relatively cheap brand and gets a lot of his juice from a juice bar.
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I juice fasted. It was awesome. I did it for 20 days. I lost almost 40 lbs and changed my views on food for life, People always be hating on juicing. Do it or don't. It is your life.
  • Because when you fill your body with harmful toxins that animal products, processed chemical stews, and concentrated oils you have to clean it out once in awhile. Even a well greased engine gets clogged up once in awhile.

Our body works much the same as an engine. You put cholesterol in it it gets gunked up, just like sludge in an engine!

Juice is essentially liquified nutrients, it has the same nutrient composition of the normal foods but richer and it's far easier to digest! So you body digests it much easier therefore cleaning out your, shall we say, inner workings
  • Oh really, where is your factual evidence to disprove it?
  • PathShadow
    PathShadow Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I like to do a short juice fast every few months. I do them because they make me feel amazing. I lose a few pounds, but I mostly enjoy the feeling of "clarity" I get. I'm not really sure how else to explain it.

If you want to try a juice fast I would start with just a few day fast and see how you feel.

But whether you do a fast or just add the juice to your diet, I believe it's one of the healthiest things you can do for your body.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I'm not necessarily looking for a "quick fix" for weight loss, just wanting to try a short-term detox to clean out the guts! Lol

Sorry. That wasn't really directed at this thread. I was just thinking out loud after reading several other threads. Kinda spilled over to my post here.

Cheers.
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    Oh really, where is your factual evidence to disprove it?

I suppose you believe in the tooth fairy too.
  • Nutribullet, or something similar, they extract every ounce of nutrient by liquifying it. Nothing gets left out!
This discussion has been closed.